Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > Another spot removed for Men's/Women's Nationals

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-29-14 07:15PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

and went on to win the Stanley Cup that year too!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-29-14 07:25PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Geez...was it that long ago?

http://www.pittsburghcurlingclub.co..._Fall_20111.pdf

Damn, you're right, it was...time does fly.

Doesn't change my point, nom....if you take a gander at all of the "NHL Team visits curling club" stories, you'll notice almost all of them are on a road trip when it happens. Players need something to do when they're on the road. When they're at home...they're...at home...

10-29-14 07:29PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

I don't think anyone doubts that auto-berthing the Jr champions into Nationals gets them good arena ice experience and prep for worlds. The problem is that you're removing an opportunity for another up-and-coming team to get that same experience. It's absolutely narrowing the window.

If all you're concerned with is getting the top point earners on tour, then why even have a challenge round? I've said it a million times: it's an extremely small group who can afford to play enough to earn those points (including those who don't play on their own dime at all, I.E. the HP teams).

Sooner or later, it wouldn't surprise me to see the challenge round eliminated completely, and Nationals made into a four team event: two HP teams and two points teams. If the impetus is to remove any possibility of a bad team getting hot once and qualifying, that oughta do it.

10-29-14 09:34PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Time for a Canadian to chime in...

Two weeks back at the Kamloops Crown of Curling, I had the opportunity to discuss your situation with the Brady Clark team. It left me shaking my head in disbelief.

To think that last year your Womens National Champions were not allowed to compete at the worlds after winning that right is horrible.

Wait, let me backtrack on that. To think that they didn't get to go to worlds because the team they beat in your championship happened to be able to compete in more cashspiels than the team that won is horrible.

But then, you have one Derek Brown in charge of your HP program. Those that remember the Rhona Martin fiasco know his name.

So now instead of allowing your winning teams to gain experience at the world level and improve, you have an individual with a track record of being dictatorial and not successful basically deciding who goes-or at least creating an unfair playing field and rules designed solely to help those his group deems as superior.

And, BTW, how's that workin' for ya? No offense to the team that went to the women's worlds, but they fared likely no better than your champs would have.

Truth is, until you curlers and clubs stage a revolt, get rid of Brown and his ilk, the USA will not improve and things will get progressively worse.

10-30-14 12:03AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Truth is, until you curlers and clubs stage a revolt, get rid of Brown and his ilk, the USA will not improve and things will get progressively worse.

Interesting viewpoint. I think lots of USA curlers agree with you but also don't feel like there is much they can about it.

10-30-14 01:35AM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

What berthing them into the Nationals does is give them experience on the arena ice, and a great week of preparation right before they head off to the World Juniors.

Seems nice, but that's not a National Championship.

I cannot think of a single national championship (in any sport, in any nation) that accepts as a goal "give our kids (who apparently cannot qualify on their own) a week of preparation so that they can go on to a junior competition".

BTW, I don't think World Juniors is played on arena ice, is it?

10-30-14 03:20AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

That's right HP Coaching Team! Forget about "school" for our juniors. Who needs school anyway. Let those young ones start being full time professional curlers ....as ...soon ...as ...possible. Make them prove their total commitment. Ooo! when they are old enough they can go to World University Games until age 28 and to qualify for that they only need to take three community college credits within the last year or so to be considered "University" students.

But, what a pity when they hit age 23, the age of Miss Muirhead when she found out she was bumped from the Scottish championship by her nation's elite programmers so all her "peak" efforts that year went to Sochi glory and thus be unable to defend her World Title to make room for some younger ones to get some world experience that year for the glory of the national program.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...uirhead-2056084

10-30-14 03:35AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by rbi

I cannot think of a single national championship (in any sport, in any nation) that accepts as a goal "give our kids (who apparently cannot qualify on their own) a week of preparation so that they can go on to a junior competition".

BTW, I don't think World Juniors is played on arena ice, is it?

1. The top junior teams would qualify on their own if they did not have a conflict. The top junior teams rank inside the Top 10 of all USA teams in OOM.

2. Often the World Juniors are held in arenas, including this year in Estonia. It is.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

10-30-14 10:31AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks Hot Shot and Alan for the clarification...of course using spare road show days for teambuilding makes a lot of sense. I'm glad to hear the LA Kings visit in 2011 got a lot of coverage and I'm sure the PR brought in many curious potentials who are now active members of Potomac. Grass roots FTW!

10-30-14 11:08AM
SetonHallPirate is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SetonHallPirate Click here to Send SetonHallPirate a Private Message Find more posts by SetonHallPirate Add SetonHallPirate to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SetonHallPirate
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

1. The top junior teams would qualify on their own if they did not have a conflict. The top junior teams rank inside the Top 10 of all USA teams in OOM.

2. Often the World Juniors are held in arenas, including this year in Estonia. It is.

Just to add about World Juniors, they are always held in the Olympic city the year before the Games, as the Olympic test event. So, for example, the 2017 World Juniors will be in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

10-30-14 11:46AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rbi

it?

Can you think of any sport that tells its national champ they cannot go to worlds because they did not win enough points in earlier events? USA curling does lots of things differently.

10-30-14 05:17PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

quote:

Just because I'm in that kind of mood:

- Unless those teams are #1 or #2 on the U.S. OOM, they haven't "qualified" for anything. (I can't find the OOM list on the USA Curling page, all I found was an inactive link)

- The method by which they are actually qualifying is completely different (and against different competition) than every other team trying to get there.

10-30-14 06:07PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Can you think of any sport that tells its national champ they cannot go to worlds because they did not win enough points in earlier events? USA curling does lots of things differently.

Not sure. It seems that some countries hand-pick their world curling teams. I do agree that it was discouraging watching Nina Spatola's team win last year and then not qualify for Worlds and then USA worlds team finished 6th at an Olympic-depleted Worlds.

There are at least three specific things that USA Curling has done to de-value its national championship:

1. take away the champion's automatic berth to worlds (although Tuck will be relieved to learn that it is still OK to give birth at worlds)
2. give exemptions to HP teams regardless of whether they have played well.
3. give exemptions to junior champions regardless of whether they have shown they can compete with the adults.

BTW, I'm in favor of giving exemptions to top USA OOM points-earning teams. Other sports do that, and it seems to be a good way to reward sustained success.

The three steps listed above all make sense if we are trying to run an "HP Development Event," but they don't make sense for a national championship.

And I would much prefer that USA Curling do everything it can to pump up the prestige, respect and interest in the US National Curling Championships. US Nats is one thing that is going well for USA Curling. It offers a week of competition among USA's top curling teams, an impressive arena venue, excellent ice, men and women competing during the same week at the same venue, high-quality web stream coverage during the round robin, (sometimes) TV coverage during the playoffs/finals, great social media coverage and lots of noisy fans (at least in Philadelphia). In recent years it has been way more exciting than (for example) the European Championships.

10-30-14 06:33PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Two teams in Womens Nationals last year finished with 1-8 records. Crazy to suggest that junior champ would dilute the field.

10-30-14 09:03PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

I also think it's unlikely that our junior champs would dilute the field, but the poor showing of those two teams last year is an artifact of probability theory as much as poor performance. In any field of 10 teams you'll have teams with records like that. Glenn Howard's team went 2-5 at the Canadian Oly trials last year, and nobody would say their presence diluted the field.

mf

10-30-14 10:49PM
Mowgli is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mowgli Find more posts by Mowgli Add Mowgli to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mowgli
Knee-Slider

These changes further from open playdowns are really sh*t when it comes to growing competitive curlers. Once Juniors age out, they're either already in the HP program or screwed. I imagine it's incredibly hard to bring a team together to play down when the USCA has already picked two teams, and young curlers they don't have the money to run around to every cashspiel to get points. So even if they beat everybody they aren't getting a shot at worlds. Now you've got to get 4 guys on board, willing to spend a lot of time and money to compete for 1 of 5 spots in a competition that doesn't go anywhere. It's not good for anybody, you see a lot of guys that walk away. And you can say they're not dedicated, but there's probably 1-2 guys on those "scrub" teams that would be dedicated and building good teams if they were playing down every year. Right now the message received from the playdown system is "don't bother" and it's not bringing anything good to USA curling.

10-31-14 10:53AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

I don't think dilution of the field is the issue. There are a few top Jr. teams in the country that could, not would Gerry, qualify out of the challenge round.

The issue is using our National Championship as practice games for the juniors. Will the USCA actually send our Jr team to both Jr and Men's/Women's Worlds if they win? Maybe they should just have the Jr teams there and make their games practice games for everyone so they don't count for the standings.

10-31-14 11:28AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I believe the junior team beat Peja Lindholm and represented Sweden at the 2006 worlds in Lowell (a younger Mr. Edin was vice that year). So it defintely can happen, especially if there are few elite teams the juniors would have to beat to become Team USA.

I would have to believe the USCA has already decided how they will handle this situation as it is totally reasonable to expect a junior team to win nationals.

10-31-14 01:10PM
MiniMark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MiniMark Click here to Send MiniMark a Private Message Find more posts by MiniMark Add MiniMark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MiniMark
Hitting Paint

Don't forget

Unless the Jr HP team has enough OOM points to go to worlds, they won't go regardless of how well they finish. The don't get any points for winning Junior Nats- do they?
Rather than blow the whole thing up at once, the USCA has kind of done it in stages, over the course of a couple of years. Undeniably, the desire to raise the level of play at the National Championship Event is the goal here. There are many ways to approach the goal. While this is not my personal favorite, I'm willing to give it a chance for a couple of years.

10-31-14 01:11PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

If anything I thought putting junior champ in USA Nationals made sense, but must admit that above posts by Mowgli and MNIceman argument have changed my mind on this.

10-31-14 03:09PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Why not just qualify the top 10 OOM teams? or maybe the top 8 OOM teams and the 2 HP teams? Rather than forcing everyone to fly to one location for the challenge round (which this year is brilliantly planned for Seattle, very easy and cheap to fly too, HA). This way teams can use their money/time/resources to play wherever they want. For example, Brady can spend his time up in BC or AB, east teams can spend their time in ON...etc...what's the point of a challenge round to qualify like 5 teams..... seems silly.

10-31-14 08:08PM
hkempenich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hkempenich Find more posts by hkempenich Add hkempenich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hkempenich
Harvey Hacksmasher

The objective

The only objective that USCA has with the whole scheme is what USOC tells them to do: get good enough to win a gold medal in the Olympics. They have a theory that the more professional the players are, the more likely they are to win the gold.

USOC was fed up with the way things were done because the US teams didn't do well in the last few Olympic Games. The US teams were good at beating each other for the slot at Worlds and Olympics, but they were not good at beating high-level international competition.

The idea is that teams that play more international competition don't necessarily beat other US teams, but can beat more foreign teams at Worlds and Olympics.

10-31-14 11:01PM
gonzobob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gonzobob Click here to Send gonzobob a Private Message Find more posts by gonzobob Add gonzobob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gonzobob
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Triathlon. For elite level olympic-distance triathlon (the distance raced at the Olympic games), each national governing body submits a list of athletes for the world championship but that does not even guarantee that the athletes get to compete as they must also meet the selection criteria of the International Triathlon Union (which runs the world championships), which is mainly points earned at ITU series events.

But there is not an elite level olympic-distance national championship triathlon in the USA anymore. If there were, winning it wouldn't mean anything and would probably just detract from athletes being able to focus on the ITU series. The USA curling national championship may be headed for a similar fate.