Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
Runback - Custom Curling Wear
Subscribe to The Curling News today!
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Re: The Queen has been crowned!

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
Ms. Murihead will dominate the womens game for the next 15 years, sorry my Canadian friends. Question? Why are we all afraid to question strategy? A missed shot is always bad strategy, but sometimes a made shot is bad strategy too.. For some reason we Americans are afraid to piss anybody off, thats not how sports works ( not everybody gets a trophy ). Criticism goes with the game, if it doesn't whats the point. We need better coaches, better strategy and ( don't get upset ) more committed athletes ( which I believe we have lurking in juniors ). Look no father than the Queen and Scotland if you want a blue-print for success.. Great job Eve your a worthy World champion.......

Im sorry but i dont get this comment at all. Yes she won the worlds but she only barely scraped by a struggling swedish side. The 2 times sweden defeated her in the round robin prove what the likely outcome would have been if this swedish team wasnt composed of a bunch of chokers.

There's alot of great talent coming up to challenge eve. Im not convinced the team she has with her now haqs what it takes to be a dominant force. They are very up and down and i think they always will be

the american ladies showed well but in the end they finished fourth and given the 3 teams who were in the playoffs with them i think thats appropriate.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-24-13 02:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrWho
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Seen plenty enough of the US team now to know you and Tuck's posts on this thread were over the top delusional.

My opinion in the US Forum.

You are an “over the top” A$$HOLE!

Not only my opinion in this forum.

Old Post 03-24-13 02:52PM
DrWho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrWho Click here to Send DrWho a Private Message Find more posts by DrWho Add DrWho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hitachi
Knee-Slider

I completely agree with DrWho (Great show by the way).

We should all just be happy we get to see as much curling as we do and should all completely respect the time and committment put in by all these curlers.

Signed:

A Canadian who likes Americans

Old Post 03-24-13 03:05PM
Hitachi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hitachi Click here to Send Hitachi a Private Message Find more posts by Hitachi Add Hitachi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by DrWho

You are an “over the top” A$$HOLE!

Not only my opinion in this forum.

In general, a lot of Americans are over the top arrogant and don't take kindly to being told their teams don't rate in any sport.

So what ? I don't care. Don't declare our girls overrated, pepper the forum with how your team is going to beat our team and expect nothing when they get dominated two games in a row.

Too many Canadians put up with this kind of **** quietly. Not me. I like Homan because she doesn't put up with a lot of **** either.

I keep things real. I'm no homer, I don't tout Canadian teams when I don't think they are good enough to win ( eg Nedohin last year ). I just like good Curling.

Deal with it.

Old Post 03-24-13 03:18PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

Re: Re: The Queen has been crowned!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Im sorry but i dont get this comment at all. Yes she won the worlds but she only barely scraped by a struggling swedish side. The 2 times sweden defeated her in the round robin prove what the likely outcome would have been if this swedish team wasnt composed of a bunch of chokers.

There's alot of great talent coming up to challenge eve. Im not convinced the team she has with her now haqs what it takes to be a dominant force. They are very up and down and i think they always will be

the american ladies showed well but in the end they finished fourth and given the 3 teams who were in the playoffs with them i think thats appropriate.

Sometimes it is the small thing in sports that change the history of the sport, take the Tuck rule for example, if Brady's fumble stands as called the Raiders beat New England and there is No destiny for those Dam New Englanders ( Red Sox included ) Eve won without the best team, now she picks her own team, cause everybody is going to want to get onboard...... Long Live the Queen.......

Old Post 03-24-13 03:28PM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: The Queen has been crowned!

quote:
Originally posted by Willy

Sometimes it is the small thing in sports that change the history of the sport, take the Tuck rule for example, if Brady's fumble stands as called the Raiders beat New England and there is No destiny for those Dam New Englanders ( Red Sox included ) Eve won without the best team, now she picks her own team, cause everybody is going to want to get onboard...... Long Live the Queen.......

I dont see eve making to many, if any changes to this team. I think she's happy with who she has with her now

Old Post 03-24-13 03:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:

In general, a lot of Americans are over the top arrogant and don't take kindly to being told their teams don't rate in any sport.

So what ? I don't care. Don't declare our girls overrated, pepper the forum with how your team is going to beat our team and expect nothing when they get dominated two games in a row.

Too many Canadians put up with this kind of **** quietly. Not me. I like Homan because she doesn't put up with a lot of **** either.

I keep things real. I'm no homer, I don't tout Canadian teams when I don't think they are good enough to win ( eg Nedohin last year ). I just like good Curling.

Deal with it.

Let's see "overrated", did Canada win? I thought the general tone of the forums was that Canada would dominate and win easily. Guess I need to go back and reread the threads that everyone was picking them for third place.

Did the US team perform better than expected, probably. Did some of us hope and cheer and beat our chests and think they might win, sure. That is what it means to be a fan. Ask someone who roots for the Cubs. Heck, my baseball team (Phillies) have lost more games than any other team. Do I root for them every year and say they will win the series, you bet. And I actually bet on them to win the series every year.

So keep things real. I will keep things "unreal" and be a homer since I am more of a fan of curling. I will always be overly excited and optimistic about US teams at Worlds and Olys. I will even root for some Canadian teams since I have a lot of friends there and some of them have done pretty well.

JH
Go Brady, beat that Jacobs guy!

Old Post 03-24-13 03:40PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

I guess the US team should be proud of the fact they were the second best of the four playoff teams on Sunday given the calibre of play was actually a bit higher in the bronze medal game than the gold medal game. Perhaps nerves factored into the gold medal game and the bronze teams were more loose?

Old Post 03-24-13 09:31PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brycejmcewen
Hitting Paint

This entire thread was fantastic. Really entertaining.

Old Post 03-24-13 10:17PM
brycejmcewen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brycejmcewen Click here to Send brycejmcewen a Private Message Find more posts by brycejmcewen Add brycejmcewen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am
I guess the US team should be proud of the fact they were the second best of the four playoff teams on Sunday given the calibre of play was actually a bit higher in the bronze medal game than the gold medal game.

Considering the FACT (admittedly facts are very hard for Americans to comprehend, since they rely only factless hype and self serving fictitious propaganda in place of facts) that the US women only scraped into the playoffs through tie breakers, and could well have finished sixth instead.

This is the same kind of fact as the much trumpeted American "largest GDP in the world" which, when looked at on a more significant per capita basis (according to the International Monetary Fund), US GDP per American is $48,328 USD (14th in the world), and Canadian GDP per Canadian is $50,496 USD (9th in the world, 5 places and 4.4% higher than US GDP per American).

The same kinds of measures apply to US curling vs curling in Canada and in the rest of the world.

Scotland now has 2 world women`s championships, twice as many as the US (which has only 1 in 35 years) while Canada has won 15 world women`s championships.

Brady Clark was 2 and 3 in the cashspiel in Victoria this weekend against some teams from the upcoming men's worlds and some Brier teams. This appears not to bode well for the US at men`s worlds.

Old Post 03-24-13 10:24PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:

So what ? I don't care.

You are not that bright. You are not at all liked.
So move on to another blog.

Old Post 03-24-13 11:51PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Let's see "overrated", did Canada win? I thought the general tone of the forums was that Canada would dominate and win easily. Guess I need to go back and reread the threads that everyone was picking them for third place.

The tone on Canada was that they were our best rep in a few years and had an excellent chance to contend for Gold.It turns out Scotland, Sweden, and Canada were all very close in ability and Canada fell short against those countries ( although they had great chances to win against them ).

I think if Homan and team were American you guys would be going gaga over her chances. And any talk of them being overrated or disappointing wouldn't be well received.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-25-13 at 01:26AM

Old Post 03-25-13 01:21AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87

Considering the FACT (admittedly facts are very hard for Americans to comprehend, since they rely only fact less hype and self serving fictitious propaganda in place of facts) that the US women only scraped into the playoffs through tie breakers, and could well have finished sixth instead.

This is the same kind of fact as the much trumpeted American "largest GDP in the world" which, when looked at on a more significant per capita basis (according to the International Monetary Fund), US GDP per American is $48,328 USD (14th in the world), and Canadian GDP per Canadian is $50,496 USD (9th in the world, 5 places and 4.4% higher than US GDP per American).

The same kinds of measures apply to US curling vs curling in Canada and in the rest of the world.

Scotland now has 2 world women`s championships, twice as many as the US (which has only 1 in 35 years) while Canada has won 15 world women`s championships.

Brady Clark was 2 and 3 in the cashspiel in Victoria this weekend against some teams from the upcoming men's worlds and some Brier teams. This appears not to bode well for the US at men`s worlds.

The biggest ***** in Canada rears his ugly head again spouting trash on America and now our economy?

Read this article Mr. Murphy, if you can comprehend it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/1..._n_2220164.html

As for curling, the US team of amateur non-funded curlers come in fourth to 3 professional teams from Scotland Sweden and Canada while beating out a half dozen other professional curling teams from around the world.

As has been pointed out, these four women live in four different states and provinces and probably spend a small fraction of time on the ice together compared to their professional counterparts. I have heard Eve is paid to the tune of $80,000 a year just to curl while our teams take time away from jobs and families to compete for the US. If we ever decide to go with the Scottish model (our high performance head is from Scotland) will we rise to the top? Could be, the US curling population is growing by members and clubs at a pretty good clip. How fast is the Canadian curling population growing John?

So Mr. Murphy, crawl back into your hole and wait for spring, we will root for our underdog team at Men's and wait for your next rant. Maybe you can point out some meaningless facts on some other subject as well.

Last edited by TJNCJ on 03-25-13 at 10:58AM

Old Post 03-25-13 10:03AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Hitting Paint

Great run by the U.S. team. They hung tough and got the job done even after reaching 5 losses in the RR. I'm disappointed that they could not medal, but there is an awful lot of international talent out there, as the Canadian team discovered. The U.S. women may be a lot closer to winning at the world level than the men at this point.

The Scots were really solid all week, although they had their lapses. The Scottish back end made some really critical shots in the playoffs.

The Canadians really impress with their use of the tick shot at ever opportunity, and a full suite of shots. Weagle's success with the tick may cause some strategic reassessment of the game.

The Swedes impressed all week, but somehow lost the thread of ice-reading in the finals. I'm truly disappointed that the Swedish skip is runner up for the 4th time. I've done the runner-up thing too many times, and it's never happy in the moment. (But as they say, you can't win it if you aren't in it!)

Overall, a great week of curling. It was fun to watch the teams struggle with not-quite-so-pampered ice and stones.

Cheers.

Old Post 03-25-13 10:54AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clutch
Hitting Paint

tick shot

RockDoc,
Thanks - I was hoping someone would bring up the tick shot. Back in the day they always used to say the freeze was the toughest shot in curling now it is more in vogue to say the tick shot is the toughest shot in curling. Weagle was and is a machine with that shot. Please note I only watched a couple of Canada's games in the middle of the week, one of them was against Italy, she was great, but there was a lot of clutter around the front area along the four foot lines and if the second or third isn't making the double peels and jamming it doesn't take much to get the things cluttered. I assume this got cleaned up as the week went along and the ice was particularly difficult that draw because there was a problematic drip that game. Strategic reassessment - I like your term - it was funny the announcers were almost giggling - she makes the tick look so routine. Later.

clutch

Old Post 03-25-13 04:00PM
clutch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clutch Click here to Send clutch a Private Message Find more posts by clutch Add clutch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Hitting Paint

Re: tick shot

quote:
Originally posted by clutch
RockDoc,
Thanks - I was hoping someone would bring up the tick shot.

If you can make this shot routinely, it is devastating for the team trying to steal. I use it in the last end with hammer tied or up with my competitive mixed team, but we don't practice it enough to use it every end. Plus, it's not so easy on club ice, where there may be runs and falls. However, if you know what hack weight is doing down the middle of the ice by the end of the game, it's not that hard a shot to make if your lead can throw hack weight on demand somewhere near the broom.

Don't try this with your regular league team in the last end, where your lead is likely a 1st or 2nd year curler. Better to try to come around (don't be SHORT!) or just draw to the wings.

If the "Weagle" becomes popular and players get too good at it, what is next, the "no touch" rule in the FGZ?

Cheers.

Old Post 03-25-13 04:25PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by TJNCJ

The biggest ***** in Canada rears his ugly head again spouting trash on America and now our economy?

Read this article Mr. Murphy, if you can comprehend it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/1..._n_2220164.html

As for curling, the US team of amateur non-funded curlers come in fourth to 3 professional teams from Scotland Sweden and Canada while beating out a half dozen other professional curling teams from around the world.

As has been pointed out, these four women live in four different states and provinces and probably spend a small fraction of time on the ice together compared to their professional counterparts. I have heard Eve is paid to the tune of $80,000 a year just to curl while our teams take time away from jobs and families to compete for the US. If we ever decide to go with the Scottish model (our high performance head is from Scotland) will we rise to the top? Could be, the US curling population is growing by members and clubs at a pretty good clip. How fast is the Canadian curling population growing John?

So Mr. Murphy, crawl back into your hole and wait for spring, we will root for our underdog team at Men's and wait for your next rant. Maybe you can point out some meaningless facts on some other subject as well.

The only team that has a proffessional team who's job it is tu curl is China..and I think Russia. The other teams dont really have curling as a career. They get a great amount of funding from the national associations and asd you pointed out eve and her team get a massive amount. Alot of european countries have adoipted the national team system. They heap funding onto 2 or 3 select teams in the hopes that they will deliver a major championship.

however it would be a mistake to say that it is their job to curl because they all have careers or jobs outside of curling. again as far as im aware thats only true for china and russia

it does offer an advantage to some degree because they dont have to worry as much about costs .

never mind..was just informed scotland does indded fund their team full time. But as far as im aware thats not whats going on in switzerland, sweden, norway,denmark or germany..and im alot more aware of whats going on over there.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-25-13 at 04:37PM

Old Post 03-25-13 04:34PM