Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Giving the blogging world a try

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-20-16 08:07PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Giving the blogging world a try

https://therockstopshere.wordpress.com/

Thought I'd give this a good old fashioned try. Flame away folks, flame away. lol!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-21-16 11:38AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

If you want people to actually read your material you need to fix teh default template stuff on your site. THere are too many sections that say "Text Widget
This is a text widget, which allows you to add text or HTML to your sidebar. You can use them to display text, links, images, HTML, or a combination of these. Edit them in the Widget section of the Customizer."

Not that I ever really care about what you say, but if you want people to take anythign you say seriously you need to get yoru site cleaned up.

With that said, I am a believer that more curling press is good, so good luck. And if you are going to write so long of posts, then you either need to add a "CLick here to read moer" in each post, or in teh sidebar add a widget that lists posts so you can get to them more easily. Way too much scrolling to get down to the bottom.

09-21-16 02:24PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Why thanks curlky, I think lol.

Still working out the bugs on the template. Sue me, I'm a newbie. As for 'long-winded' get used to it folks. Those with ADD attention spans should stick to twitter.

09-21-16 04:27PM
dan in la is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dan in la Click here to Send dan in la a Private Message Find more posts by dan in la Add dan in la to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dan in la
Knee-Slider

I really enjoyed this, and I hope you'll keep going with it. There's not enough good writing about curling. A couple of suggestions:

1. You talked about everything in detail, except for what happened in the games. It's tricky, because a shot-by-shot recap of a game is boring. But I'd like to hear about what happened on a key shot, how the team dynamics played out, etc.

2. Realistically, I'm never going to remember to check your website. Are you going to link all your posts here? Or maybe on Twitter?

09-21-16 10:05PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

The snarky things you wrote about other curlers wasn't very interesting or fun to read. It really detracted from everything else. It wasn't you being "straightforward" or a lack of "sugar-coating" and therefore I should hit the "back button". It was just gossip at its worst.

09-21-16 10:21PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
The snarky things you wrote about other curlers wasn't very interesting or fun to read. It really detracted from everything else. It wasn't you being "straightforward" or a lack of "sugar-coating" and therefore I should hit the "back button". It was just gossip at its worst.

lol. I'll put you in the 'not a fan of snarkiness' category.

By the way folks, feel free to leave comments on the blog page if you like.

Can't wait to read one by Legend!

Last edited by jamcan on 09-21-16 at 10:25PM

09-21-16 10:27PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dan in la
I really enjoyed this, and I hope you'll keep going with it. There's not enough good writing about curling. A couple of suggestions:

1. You talked about everything in detail, except for what happened in the games. It's tricky, because a shot-by-shot recap of a game is boring. But I'd like to hear about what happened on a key shot, how the team dynamics played out, etc.

2. Realistically, I'm never going to remember to check your website. Are you going to link all your posts here? Or maybe on Twitter?

Thanks dan in la. being a neophyte in the blogging world this is an ongoing process for me. For now I'll likely just pop in here to update the link when I make a new post so stay tuned to CZ.

Gerry, at least, will like you adding to his activity stats!

09-22-16 11:35AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

I may be one of the few people still using RSS, which was big when Google Reader existed and not so big now. But if you have an option for turning on an RSS feed, please do. Then I can add you to my Feedly and be notified whenever you post something new.

Twitter's good, too, but it's easy to miss notifications there.

Looks like a promising start. I forwarded it to the other person I know of who follows both women's soccer and curling, so you'll have 100% of that demographic.

09-22-16 04:47PM
dan in la is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dan in la Click here to Send dan in la a Private Message Find more posts by dan in la Add dan in la to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dan in la
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by BDure
I may be one of the few people still using RSS, which was big when Google Reader existed and not so big now. But if you have an option for turning on an RSS feed, please do. Then I can add you to my Feedly and be notified whenever you post something new.

I'm also among the few people who use RSS, and your post made me wonder if Wordpress (the blogging service jamcan is using) automatically enables RSS. Turns out, it does.

Just add this address to Feedly or whatever other RSS reader you use: https://therockstopshere.wordpress.com/feed/

09-22-16 05:27PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I'm also among the few people who use RSS, and your post made me wonder if Wordpress (the blogging service jamcan is using) automatically enables RSS. Turns out, it does.

Just add this address to Feedly or whatever other RSS reader you use: https://therockstopshere.wordpress.com/feed/

Well, thanks! Learning more every day.

09-22-16 09:06PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Day 2 of Cloverdale Cash is now on the blog.

09-23-16 12:58PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Got it. Cool. For some reason, I didn't get an icon to add it, but that might be because I've had to reshuffle a lot of my Chrome extensions.

09-23-16 02:17PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
As for 'long-winded' get used to it folks. Those with ADD attention spans should stick to twitter.

Be as long winded as you want. But what I can tell you for certain is that if you just have one long page with a thousand lines, people wont scroll down. YOu need to have a format that looks sort of like this.

Main Page
Blog Post #3 Title
(show no more than 20ish lines of Blog #3 content with an active link Read More at the bottom. Wordpress makes this super easy to do)

Blog Post #2 Title
(show no more than 20ish lines of Blog #2 content with an active link Read More at the bottom. Wordpress makes this super easy to do)

Blog Post #1 Title
(show no more than 20ish lines of Blog #1 content with an active link Read More at the bottom. Wordpress makes this super easy to do)

And then on your sidebar you want to have a widget that is like this

Recent Posts
Blog Post #3
Blog Post #2
Blog Post #1

And if you are going to have many words, see if you can add some sort of graphic, more people will read it. When people just see line after line they tune out.

It is your blog, do what you want, but I am genuinely trying ot be helpful since I assume you want people to read it, and I have a lot of knowledge on this topic.

09-23-16 03:03PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

lol. I'll put you in the 'not a fan of snarkiness' category.

By the way folks, feel free to leave comments on the blog page if you like.

Can't wait to read one by Legend!

I had a read, great blog and a good insight into the world of curling...not sure if Manitoba Legend knows how to find other sites...

09-27-16 09:15PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Thanks for curlerbroad for the compliment and curlky for the advice. It is an ongoing work in progress so bear with me.

Meanwhile, the final installment of the Cloverdale Cash finally got added tonight-life got in the way.

Don't forget to follow if you want to get updated when I make a new entry (which will be likely tomorrow night-lol)

09-28-16 11:13AM
curlky
Drawmaster

My last appearance comment. In journalism, there was a term front page above the fold. These were the initial headlines that people saw without even opening the paper, aka the big news items. In the web world, front page above the fold is the area you see when you get to a webpage without having to click on anything or scroll down. On your site, the graphic you use is way too big. I cant even see it all without scrolling down. In fact I cant even see the entire graphic all at once even if I do scroll. Ideally you want when people first come to the site to see navigational help (a menu on the top or side perhaps) a clear identification of what page they have reached and what that page does for them (OK, I'm on the page, why am I here?) and then some content. So based upon your design, you may want somethign like this. Lets assume that your screen is 12 inches tall. Top two inches or so should be yoru header and top menu structure. You have 2 lines, I honestly would combine it into one, but that is yoru choice. Then with the next 4 inches or so you want to shrink your graphic down and show it. Then with the last 6 inches you want to show your headline of your first post and some of its content. If it were my page I would limit the text of the first post to make it short enough that you can also see the second headline at the bottom of the screen, but that is your choice. SO for me with the bottom 6 inches I would have 1 inch for newest headline, 4 inches for part of newest post text, and then 1 inch to show the second newest headline.

And if you have not yet done so, you want to install google analytics onto your site. Learn what people are coming, how long they stay, what they look at, what they dont, and learn your bounce rate. Will be helpful in creating a better site for you.

09-28-16 10:07PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Thanks curlky. Some of those changes are coming but they'll have to wait a bit. First I have Broomgate and the Vernon Cash this weekend to deal with-not necessarily in that order,lol.

Broomgate Part 1 is up folks, enjoy!

09-29-16 01:54PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Your site is saying page not found...

09-29-16 02:05PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Working fine on my end. Give it another try.

09-29-16 03:13PM
BlankEnd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BlankEnd Visit BlankEnd's homepage! Find more posts by BlankEnd Add BlankEnd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlankEnd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I just checked, too. Loaded fine.

My toonie of advice, remove the navigation buttons up top for "Home," "About," "Contact," and "Blog." They are dead links, and do not seem necessary (unless, of course, you hope to populate some or all of those pages.)

09-29-16 10:56PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Part 2 of the Broomgate series is now up on the Blog. Enjoy!

09-30-16 01:05PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: Giving the blogging world a try

quote:

Thought I'd give this a good old fashioned try. Flame away folks, flame away. lol!

Did you actually scrawl a face on a rock with permanent magic marker?

09-30-16 04:17PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

That is jamcan's actual photograph from his team profile.

09-30-16 08:06PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Hi Jamcan. Rather than start a thread... just wondering why in Vernon they have 8 teams for a double knockout event. 4 of 8 will qualify. Is this just a "practice" event so the teams can get in some games. Gawd.. could almost have done a RR. What gives?

09-30-16 10:36PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Giving the blogging world a try

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Did you actually scrawl a face on a rock with permanent magic marker?

LOL, no. It was actually a public domain pic I found online. Thought it fit the blog tone appropriately