Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Location Specific & Regional Tour Chat > Ontario Curling > OCA Colts Eligibility (There are NONE)!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-27-12 09:40AM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

OCA Colts Eligibility (There are NONE)!

Hi,
Those of you who know me should know that I couldn't let this one go...

I have tons of opinions on this subject and am doing an article on it for the OCR. I was wondering what others out there in the competitive world thought of the new eligibility? For those of you who haven't heard, they removed all restrictions so everybody is currently eligible.

Thoughts?

JH

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-27-12 12:00PM
Second is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Second Click here to Send Second a Private Message Find more posts by Second Add Second to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Second
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know the purpose of the change is to try to increase participation, and it's supposed to be a 2 year pilot project. However I think they could have tried tweeking the rules first, instead of removing them completely. For example, leave the restrictions that if you have ever won the event, or participated in a Provincial Tankard, you're not eligible, and remove all the other restrictions.
It will be interesting to see how this affects participation both this year and next.

10-27-12 12:30PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Sounds good to me. Why were there even restictions in the first place?

10-27-12 04:39PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Sounds good to me. Why were there even restictions in the first place?

Colts was originally for curlers the first seven years out of junior (approx 20-26 years old). Hence the name. Restrictions to the event have morphed from there.

JH

10-27-12 07:58PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

C - Curlers
O - Only
L - Less
T - Than
S - Seven years

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

10-27-12 08:01PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
C - Curlers
O - Only
L - Less
T - Than
S - Seven years

JH

10-27-12 08:27PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner

I think the Champion rule could have just been removed and it would add a lot of teams. The Tankard rule should remain, but make something like 2 provincial badges in 7-9 years and you can't enter. This would allow for teams that happen to go on a run and get to the Tankard to still play this fine event. Sometimes teams like that go to the Tankard and we never see them again. I loved the years I played Colts and the two provs I competed in. It's a great time for sure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.198.164.153

10-27-12 09:11PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
C - Curlers
O - Only
L - Less
T - Than
S - Seven years

D - Downhill Skiers (in honor of the great Ken Read), Divers
O - Only
L - Less
T - Than
S - Seven Years

Anymore sports that begin with D?

Last edited by Guest on 10-28-12 at 11:01AM

10-28-12 12:46AM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:

D - Downhill Skiers or Divers, or
O - Only
L - Less
T - Seven
S - Years

Anymore sports that begin with D?

Dodgeball.

JH

10-29-12 11:10AM
Unregistered

What's next - Fairfield Marriott/Best Western and the GTA Goldline? There are lot's of events for the more serious curlers. Please leave a few events for us good club level curlers who are chasing a dream....

I played in the Colts last year with my son and we got to the regions. Been to the regions 4 times and still hoping to get to the big show once!

Jeff

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.14.5.39

10-29-12 12:08PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
What's next - Fairfield Marriott/Best Western and the GTA Goldline? There are lot's of events for the more serious curlers. Please leave a few events for us good club level curlers who are chasing a dream....

I played in the Colts last year with my son and we got to the regions. Been to the regions 4 times and still hoping to get to the big show once!

Jeff

Restriction #1: OCA Colts shall be restricted to non serious curlers.

10-29-12 03:18PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

I'm not against tweaking the rules, as there were some problems with the old rules.... For example, the guy that threw lead for the 0-10 team at the 1987 men's provincials, and never made it back should still be allowed to play colts.

Rather than wiping out the rules altogether, they should have put in a 5 or 10 year restriction against teams that go to the men's provincials, or have previously won colts.

10-29-12 04:53PM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

I like it, and hopefully it will have a positive impact on the number of entries. There are maybe twenty teams out there that won Colts, but never made it to Tankard who were previously ineligble. I'm sure if they were given the chance to enter Colts again, they would happily enter since it is such a fun event at the provincial level. However there may also be some teams that won't enter now because they might have to play Tankard level curlers. We'll see I guess. Hopefully some of the past winners of Colts who are now eligible will get the word and will play. It will also make OCA enforcment easier (no rules means no enforcement issues). Putting a time restriction on the number of patches would be a real problem to enforce and the OCA zone rep would be put in a real predicament if there were complaints during an event about specific player's ineligibility. I really can't see many Tankard provincial level players entering, certainly not as a full Tankard provincial team. And if they do and beat up on Colt level teams (or even worse lose to them), then they will be the laughing stock of competitive curling. Just look at the abuse Balsy takes for putting his Club Championship team into the Dominion club champions playdowns.

10-29-12 05:25PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape
I'm not against tweaking the rules, as there were some problems with the old rules.... For example, the guy that threw lead for the 0-10 team at the 1987 men's provincials, and never made it back should still be allowed to play colts.

Restriction #2: The guy that threw lead for the 0-10 team at the 1987 men's provincial is allowed to enter OCA Colts.

Last edited by Guest on 10-29-12 at 05:27PM

10-29-12 07:37PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

Rather than wiping out the rules altogether, they should have put in a 5 or 10 year restriction against teams that go to the men's provincials, or have previously won colts.

lol I don't know if you used this as a hypothetical or not Tape, but I know some guys who went 0-fer at the Tankard around this time. (Lost 5 games in extra ends but that's another story). If you are referring to them, then I know the lead you are talking about...

JH

10-30-12 10:22AM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Jeff

Agreed. tough enough (for some of us) to win at the B-level without letting all the A-level curlers back in. Lost Colts zone B-final on last rock last year to a team that went on to provs and posted a respectable win-loss. Looking forward to it again but hoping I don't run into Tankard players along the way. I think the 5-10 year rule could be a good one.
Shouldn't the 1987 lead be playing Seniors by now?

10-30-12 11:32AM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have a question: What is the purpose of Colts now that the eligibility rules have changed? Every other OCA competition seems to have a purpose except for the new Colts.

10-30-12 11:42AM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Batty
hoping I don't run into Tankard players along the way

Doesn't make much difference - you can run into Tankard players in the Challenge event too.

10-30-12 12:17PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by christhecurler
I have a question: What is the purpose of Colts now that the eligibility rules have changed? Every other OCA competition seems to have a purpose except for the new Colts.

It's a competition like all other OCA events. Are you implying there should be some sort of restriction on the event to give it meaning?

10-30-12 12:17PM
batty

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Bernard

Doesn't make much difference - you can run into Tankard players in the Challenge event too.

In Fairfield/Marriot Challenge two players can't even have been part of a zone winning team. Usually a couple of players being introduced to OCA competitions. That's a big difference from four players that make regionals in any competition on a regular basis.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.255.62.255

10-30-12 12:51PM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

It's a competition like all other OCA events. Are you implying there should be some sort of restriction on the event to give it meaning?

I'm just saying that the purpose of Colts (Over the 15 years I've been curling) was to give curlers who are not Tankard provincial level a chance to play in a provincial and win a banner. It also gave some Colts teams valuable experience they have used to step up to a higher level.

To me, it's now just a wide open event that doesn't lead anywhere. Personally, I believe each playdown should have some sort of reason for its existence. Hopefully Colts will thrive, rather than frustrate a lot of teams because a few are dominating.

10-30-12 01:38PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

I really appreciate all of the thoughts going on in this thread everybody. It's giving great feedback for my column.

Thanks again!

JH

10-30-12 04:18PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho

lol I don't know if you used this as a hypothetical or not Tape, but I know some guys who went 0-fer at the Tankard around this time. (Lost 5 games in extra ends but that's another story). If you are referring to them, then I know the lead you are talking about...

JH

I just tossed out a random year, I wasn't talking about anyone in particular lol

10-31-12 12:02PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by batty

In Fairfield/Marriot Challenge two players can't even have been part of a zone winning team. Usually a couple of players being introduced to OCA competitions. That's a big difference from four players that make regionals in any competition on a regular basis.

Sure, but an Ontario Senior champ and a Tankard skip picking up two guys without patches, although it follows the letter of the rules, is not really in the spirit of the Challenge competition either.

Tankard, Colts and Challenge should each attract teams that "belong" at that level, or are trying to belong at that level.

If the goal is to increase entries, I suspect we'll find more Tankard-level players entering Colts, rather than Challenge-level players playing up.

10-31-12 01:09PM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Bernard

Sure, but an Ontario Senior champ and a Tankard skip picking up two guys without patches, although it follows the letter of the rules, is not really in the spirit of the Challenge competition either.

Ha, I know exactly who we are talking about here.