Like CurlingZone on Facebook
 
 
   
Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

Question 2017 women's world championship

This is coming up pretty quickly. I'm pretty excited this field is amazing. I would argue that it's one of the best and deepest fields we have ever seen. The only field I can think of that even compares or comes close in recent years is the field of 2009 that had anette Norberg, Mirjam ott, Debbie McCormick, Angelina Jensen, Andrea schopp, bingyu wang and Jennifer Jones competing.

It's gonna be hard to predict the final 4 here but I'm gonna go with Canada, Scotland , Sweden and China. Quite honestly it wouldn't surprise me to be off big time. Russia, Denmark, Switzerland and South Korea all have a strongt possibility of being there

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-10-17 10:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Hovel of Fame
Posts: 10848

Re: 2017 women's world championship

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
This is coming up pretty quickly. I'm pretty excited this field is amazing. I would argue that it's one of the best and deepest fields we have ever seen. The only field I can think of that even compares or comes close in recent years is the field of 2009 that had anette Norberg, Mirjam ott, Debbie McCormick, Angelina Jensen, Andrea schopp, bingyu wang and Jennifer Jones competing.

It's gonna be hard to predict the final 4 here but I'm gonna go with Canada, Scotland , Sweden and China. Quite honestly it wouldn't surprise me to be off big time. Russia, Denmark, Switzerland and South Korea all have a strongt possibility of being there



I think Canada and Scotland are really safe bets. Almost everyone I've talked to thinks Homan will sail thru the round-robin either unbeaten or possibly 1 defeat.

I don't think Rachel blows up every team she plays - she'll get a modicum of resistance from teams like Paetz, who can be very precise when she's on.

Jones usually did well in the round-robins before getting all scatter-brained in the playoffs but I don't think Homan will be much different in round-robin vs. playoffs. Jones had an annoying habit of keeping lesser teams too close and then - if she went out of sorts could easily lose tight matches.

Homan just cares about winning and increasing her lead.

The one team that needs redemption is Anna Sidorova. She's been really out of sorts the last year or so - probably needs to make final 4 - or better!

__________________
I'm one of the good guys now!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-10-17 10:47PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Apr 2016
Location:
Posts: 61

Broadcast links

http://www.worldcurling.org/wwcc2017/broadcast-coverage

That's a link to the WCF's comprehensive list of all the broadcast partners for the Women's World Championship.

I was specifically interested in whether any of it would be viewable live in the USA, and it appears the whole thing will be. It's being split across 2 different sports channels, though. NBCSN and Universal HD are handling different matches on different days.

I have DirecTV and already get NBCSN. Universal HD is on a different tier than I get, but then I looked into it and found they have a promotional offer on it and a few other channels called the HD Extra Pack where I can get all of them for free for three months and then dump them after that at no cost if I a) don't need them anymore and b) remember to do it in three months. After that they'd be an extra $5 a month.

Of course, with the time difference, many of these matches are in the middle of the night here, but that's what DVRs are for.

It will also be interesting to see if the youtube channel is ever covering any matches I'm more interested in than the ones the US channels are carrying. Even if they geoblock the youtube channel, I have a way around that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-17 11:32AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 46

Does anyone know if Vic and Russ are making the trip to China, or will they be broadcasting from the studio?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-17 04:18PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Red Deer Ab
Posts: 67

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/1...worlds-in-china

Homan rink working on its timing for worlds in China

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-17 05:31PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Hill Bottom Corner
Posts: 1579

SK - Team Kim EunJung

As a fan of all things associated with the Republic of Korea aka South Korea - the host of 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics next February I am keen to see their women's team perform well at this event, in their own back yard. (Read - shorter flight than Europe or North America).

WCT Page: http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php...3924&view=Teams
Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Eun-jung_(curler)
Fourth: Eunjung Kim (Skip) Third: Kyeong-Ae Kim (Vice) Second: Seoyeong Kim Lead: Yeongmi Kim

Three time Asia champion. They have trained and travelled in North America. I like their chances to hit the podium at this event. They have been together as a team for 6 years. Are the highest ranked Asian team on WCT OEM (15th)

Korea needs teams to cheer for at their Olympics. (Remember 2010 Vanoc?) They are not strong in Hockey and Kim YuNa has retired. They have great short track and trick skiers - but my hope is curling will be their big Olympic dark horse for a podium finish. With that, I will cheer these women on.
Also, we expect CDA to perform well. But.. Long flight. Foreign land. We'll see what they get for ice - should be okay.
May the games begin - in Beijing. And good curling. Gerry - do we get a score link here?

__________________
Pushin' back from the hack.

Last edited by nelski on 03-13-17 at 09:07PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-17 08:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Mar 2014
Location: Red Deer Ab
Posts: 67

https://twitter.com/TeamHoman/media

Arrived in Beijing! Thanks to @lululemon for providing us with all sorts of comfortable clothes for our adventure at Worlds.

..excited for team Homan, I'm positive they will rep Canada well at World's !

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-17 11:44PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Registered: Jan 2005
Location: the Banana Belt
Posts: 853

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28
Does anyone know if Vic and Russ are making the trip to China, or will they be broadcasting from the studio?


I talked to Vic yesterday and he said they were not making the trip.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 12:28AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
As a fan of all things associated with the Republic of Korea aka South Korea - the host of 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics next February I am keen to see their women's team perform well at this event, in their own back yard. (Read - shorter flight than Europe or North America).

WCT Page: http://www.worldcurl.com/player.php...3924&view=Teams
Wiki Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Eun-jung_(curler)
Fourth: Eunjung Kim (Skip) Third: Kyeong-Ae Kim (Vice) Second: Seoyeong Kim Lead: Yeongmi Kim

Three time Asia champion. They have trained and travelled in North America. I like their chances to hit the podium at this event. They have been together as a team for 6 years. Are the highest ranked Asian team on WCT OEM (15th)

Korea needs teams to cheer for at their Olympics. (Remember 2010 Vanoc?) They are not strong in Hockey and Kim YuNa has retired. They have great short track and trick skiers - but my hope is curling will be their big Olympic dark horse for a podium finish. With that, I will cheer these women on.
Also, we expect CDA to perform well. But.. Long flight. Foreign land. We'll see what they get for ice - should be okay.
May the games begin - in Beijing. And good curling. Gerry - do we get a score link here?



yeah, south korea may have a pretty miserable olympics as host. the only sports they have any kind of meal hope in are speed skating, curling and MAYBE bobsleigh and skeleton.they arent getting anything anywhere else

so id hope they do well in curling. but..who knows, being the host can put a ton of pressure on you. look at what happened to sidorova in 2014

on the sidorova note im surprised she's here. moiseeva won the euros and got silver at the winter universiade. she's done well this year. unless there was another playdown to decide who comes here which she lost i would have expected to see moiseeva here again.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 07:56AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2017

I've been to Beijing...it is actually a pretty sophisticated world class city. A bit polluted but not some backwater. You use bottled water to brush your teeth etc...but that is supplied by the hotels.

The only unknown will be the ice, but I think team Homan can adjust.

__________________
Well Behaved Women Don't Make History.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 10:35AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Registered: May 2014
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 585

Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by misty1


yeah, south korea may have a pretty miserable olympics as host. the only sports they have any kind of meal hope in are speed skating, curling and MAYBE bobsleigh and skeleton.they arent getting anything anywhere else

so id hope they do well in curling. but..who knows, being the host can put a ton of pressure on you. look at what happened to sidorova in 2014

on the sidorova note im surprised she's here. moiseeva won the euros and got silver at the winter universiade. she's done well this year. unless there was another playdown to decide who comes here which she lost i would have expected to see moiseeva here again.



They did in fact have another playdown last month, and if I recall correctly Sidorova won 4 games to Moiseeva's 2.

Last year they held a single playdown in the fall for both events, this year after Moiseeva's upset win they shortly thereafter announced there would be a second playdown prior to Worlds (as they had done in previous years). Last year, they more or less said a second playdown was essentially unnecessary and would theoretically take Team Sidorova off the road where experience would benefit them more than playing in-country.

Pure speculation, but I think their federation was nervous about Moiseeva's win and how the team would do at Euros...hence the decision for a second playdown (which was announced prior to Euros). Obviously they had nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to explain it as best as I can from what I've read in Google-translated Russian curling-related articles. If anything, I think this puts more pressure on Sidorova to perform...if they have a bad week, their fed might be second-guessing things based on how Moiseeva did at Euros.

__________________
Recreational curler & resident armchair curler at Windy City Curling Club.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 06:54PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

Re: Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D


They did in fact have another playdown last month, and if I recall correctly Sidorova won 4 games to Moiseeva's 2.

Last year they held a single playdown in the fall for both events, this year after Moiseeva's upset win they shortly thereafter announced there would be a second playdown prior to Worlds (as they had done in previous years). Last year, they more or less said a second playdown was essentially unnecessary and would theoretically take Team Sidorova off the road where experience would benefit them more than playing in-country.

Pure speculation, but I think their federation was nervous about Moiseeva's win and how the team would do at Euros...hence the decision for a second playdown (which was announced prior to Euros). Obviously they had nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to explain it as best as I can from what I've read in Google-translated Russian curling-related articles. If anything, I think this puts more pressure on Sidorova to perform...if they have a bad week, their fed might be second-guessing things based on how Moiseeva did at Euros.



thanks for filling me in. i kind of suspected that they had had another playdown when i saw sidorova there but wasnt sure. im never really sure of what goes on with the russian.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 08:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Hovel of Fame
Posts: 10848

Barring swamp-dog ice or illness to key players - this event breaks down to two groups of 3 teams each:

The top group is obviously Homan, Paetz & Muirhead - the next 3 are Sweden, Russia, Denmark.

Wang & Korea are possible wild cards who could nip positions with one of the second tier.

Also possible that one of the top group plays down from their regular level. Highly unlikely but if I had to pick it would be Muirhead as her full team doesn't really stack up to Paetz or Homan.

Despite her wealth of experience Lena Neilson could be either a 3 win team or a .500 group. Lots of experience for the Danes but a real weakness presents at 3rd in former distracted Danish blonde Maddy Dupont.

Kim or Wang could be anywhere on the board - from 1 or 2 wins to 7 or 8 wins.

__________________
I'm one of the good guys now!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-15-17 09:02PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

Registered: Apr 2014
Location: In the House
Posts: 351

Re: Re: Re: SK - Team Kim EunJung

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D


They did in fact have another playdown last month, and if I recall correctly Sidorova won 4 games to Moiseeva's 2.

Last year they held a single playdown in the fall for both events, this year after Moiseeva's upset win they shortly thereafter announced there would be a second playdown prior to Worlds (as they had done in previous years). Last year, they more or less said a second playdown was essentially unnecessary and would theoretically take Team Sidorova off the road where experience would benefit them more than playing in-country.

Pure speculation, but I think their federation was nervous about Moiseeva's win and how the team would do at Euros...hence the decision for a second playdown (which was announced prior to Euros). Obviously they had nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just trying to explain it as best as I can from what I've read in Google-translated Russian curling-related articles. If anything, I think this puts more pressure on Sidorova to perform...if they have a bad week, their fed might be second-guessing things based on how Moiseeva did at Euros.


So... Sidorova wins, and there is 'no need' to play again to determine the Russian representative at the Worlds.
Moiseeva wins, and they must play again to determine who goes to Worlds.
Incredible.

I don't expect any better from a country for which physical attractiveness is a pre-requisite for being on their top curling teams (someone who knows told me this is a fact).
Corruption through and through.

It's really a shame, as the Moiseeva team conducted themselves with absolute class at the European Championships. When they won it on a surprising Swedish miss, and with Team Sweden in shock, the Moiseeva team's initial reaction was to celebrate. But, seeing the disappointment of the Swedish team, they stopped themselves from celebrating, and instead shook hands with and consoled the Swedish team first.
From what I've seen (and heard) of Sidorova's team, they would not have behaved with the same level of class in the same situation.

__________________
"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-16-17 at 03:17AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-17 03:10AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Jul 2016
Location:
Posts: 18

Team Moiseeva came together right before that 'Supercup' in the fall and shocked folks by beating Sidorova. Watching them on the ice at the Euros, and elsewhere this season has been my favorite part of the year so far. They have fun on the ice and like mentioned before handled things with class in a way I haven't seen in any other championships at all (i.e. no "broom flips"). The second pre-World's 'Supercup' was actually live streamed on YouTube last month, but was held in a tiny stark lane with no audience beyond Russian Curling officials and had one camera on the side of the ice which made it tough to tell what was going on in the house sometimes, but they just came up unlucky on the the third day. Thankfully, this won't be the last we see of Team Moiseeva as they'll be playing in the Humpty's Champions Cup thanks to that Euros win. With a really good year under their belt, it should be a fun battle to see who emerges for next year's Olympics as the Russian rep.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-17 08:44AM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Hill Bottom Corner
Posts: 1579

RUS - Team Moiseeva

I snooped into the WCT "teams" history for the curlers on the Moisseva team. Saying these women "arrived" and "surprised" the Eros is a bit of a stretch. I follow Olga Zharkova who is a mentor, a seasoned curler and a Olympic Team employee who goes way back beyond the WCT stats. She has skipped all of the curlers on this team. The lead Guzeiva, and 2nd, Arsenkina both came from the school of Zharkova. They are experienced curlers, and unlike Coach Olga Andrianova bear-like leadership presentation, which ended in 2012 with the hiring of "foreign" coaches. Zharkova was a victim of the former coaching exclusionary tactics but stayed close and brought many young curlers under her fold. Zharkova has a real joi de vive for the sport, and continues to exemplify curling leadership there.

I see that Vaselyeva moved from 2nd to 3rd and that she has curled with Arsenkina through the years. Skipper, has moved up too 2nd, 3rd, now skipping. There is a solid pool of women curlers and I think that New coaching (read 4 years) strong mentorship (read Zarkova) and improved chemistry (read friendship) is stepping up the Russian game. They are catching on that fun is a big factor in our beloved sport.
Summary: I see the leadership of a Skip here - being more of an impact than the leadership of a coach. Zharkova vs Andrianova.

__________________
Pushin' back from the hack.

Last edited by nelski on 03-16-17 at 02:32PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-16-17 12:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Nov 2016
Location:
Posts: 84

On March 15th M.L., the Supreme Champion, suggested that this

event breaks down into two groups of 3 teams each.

I would suggest instead the following break down may be more

accurate:


Group 1. Homan & Co.

Group 2. The Field

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-17 09:27AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Hovel of Fame
Posts: 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
On March 15th M.L., the Supreme Champion, suggested that this

event breaks down into two groups of 3 teams each.

I would suggest instead the following break down may be more

accurate:


Group 1. Homan & Co.

Group 2. The Field



Indeed Homan may be maturing into a world & Olympic champion = but you still have to do it ON THE ICE. She was pressed to the limit by Amazing 54 yr old Englot in the Canadian final.

Don't underestimate Princess Eve. She doesn't have quite the team that Homan or Paetz possess - BUT she knows exactly how to feed off her team's weaknesses - letting other teams accumulate rocks in the rings - so Eve can bang off virtually anything available. That's her game, her legacy and she's still pretty good at it. Look at Emma to dwarf Anna by at least 10 to 12 pts in their head to head but I still maintain Eve will take advantage of the deficiency.
As for Paetz - she schmiced legendary Jennifer Jones in her prior world appearance (as a young rookie). Jones was left stunned, broken & confused after Paetz whipped her 3 consecutive times to win her gold medal.

But yeah, Homan has quietly increased her mental strength to compliment her total on-ice game. Sneering and withdrawal, as Raytch found out were no real substitute for REAL MENTAL STRENGTH. That's what the greats all had - Jones, Coco, Sandra Schmirler, Gustafson, Norberg, etc.

Combined with maturity (as most of the team members approach 30) Homan is the team to beat. But I guess event organizers decided to let the games go on - rather than mailing Team Homan their gold medals!

__________________
I'm one of the good guys now!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-17 09:49AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Nov 2016
Location:
Posts: 84

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend


Indeed Homan may be maturing into a world & Olympic champion = but you still have to do it ON THE ICE. She was pressed to the limit by Amazing 54 yr old Englot in the Canadian final.

Don't underestimate Princess Eve. She doesn't have quite the team that Homan or Paetz possess - BUT she knows exactly how to feed off her team's weaknesses - letting other teams accumulate rocks in the rings - so Eve can bang off virtually anything available. That's her game, her legacy and she's still pretty good at it. Look at Emma to dwarf Anna by at least 10 to 12 pts in their head to head but I still maintain Eve will take advantage of the deficiency.
As for Paetz - she schmiced legendary Jennifer Jones in her prior world appearance (as a young rookie). Jones was left stunned, broken & confused after Paetz whipped her 3 consecutive times to win her gold medal.

But yeah, Homan has quietly increased her mental strength to compliment her total on-ice game. Sneering and withdrawal, as Raytch found out were no real substitute for REAL MENTAL STRENGTH. That's what the greats all had - Jones, Coco, Sandra Schmirler, Gustafson, Norberg, etc.

Combined with maturity (as most of the team members approach 30) Homan is the team to beat. But I guess event organizers decided to let the games go on - rather than mailing Team Homan their gold medals!




Are you saying that Team Homan's number 1 ranking is not

justified, or are you inferring that despite the team's

rating, Homan herself, does not have the 'real mental

strength' that all the previous number 1 rated skips had?


And if that's what you're suggesting, perhaps you can explain

why all of the skips you referred to actually had, by

comparison, very little if anything to brag about when they

were 27 years of age.


Based on her achievements I would suggest that Homan probably

has more mental toughness, resilience and confidence at 27

years of age than all of those skips did combined at that age.


P.S. Your statement that Paetz 'schmiced' Jones is puzzling

at best. Hopefully this was not another codicil moment.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-17 01:44PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

Registered: Jul 2016
Location:
Posts: 18

I don't think anyone was planning to cede this title to Homan right off the bat. While the men's side of things looks like Edin and a bunch of Canadians battling for king of the hill, World's for the women could be a total free-for-all. I mean even Kubeskova has quietly been having a heck of a season, but my money would be on Hasselborg stepping up for this. After that Euros loss this team seems even more focused, and heck, they were the ones who kept Homan from a Junior title back in 2010.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-17-17 01:56PM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

Registered: Apr 2014
Location: In the House
Posts: 351

The ice certainly looks... interesting.
The white paint is separating, making it look like cracks in the ice...

It's curious that the blue & red paint isn't separating - only the white.

__________________
"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 01:14AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

Wow,weird draw 1

China got crushed, did not see that coming

Switzerland got a huge lead then almost gave it up

Scotland got a lead than did I've it up twice and now has to steal to win


Sweden got a routine win over italy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 04:09AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

Scotland steal the win. Up and down game. Scotland really struggled heavily and in the end they got away with one. 3 bad misses on last rock doubles by roth gave it to them. To Eves credit she made 3 good shots with her last 3. She manufactured the steal for the win by herself

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 04:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Sep 2011
Location:
Posts: 5010

canada beats germany.

every time i watch them though i get so frustrated. they had opportunities to draw and put ral pressure on canada and instead they would play a hit.

they dont seem to be progressing at all as far as strategy goes.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 09:32AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Hovel of Fame
Posts: 10848

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
canada beats germany.

every time i watch them though i get so frustrated. they had opportunities to draw and put ral pressure on canada and instead they would play a hit.

they dont seem to be progressing at all as far as strategy goes.



As I've said before the real test for Homan is when they come up against fellow killers like Paetz or Muirhead.

A lot of folks, including yourself think Anna Hasselborg is a killer - but she's more like a right-handed Val Sweeting.

__________________
I'm one of the good guys now!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 09:43AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All times are GMT. The time now is . Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:
Rate This Thread:

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

MOST RECENT CZ FORUM POSTS

U.S.A. Curling
2017 Arena Nationals
Rock Talk
Mixed Doubles
Rock Talk
It's time to crack down on International teams ( 1 2 3 )
U.S.A. Curling
Bucks County Improvements
World Curling Tour
2017 European Masters
U.S.A. Curling
USA Curling Trials (lodging, tickets, rental cars)
U.S.A. Curling
World Mixed Doubles
Rock Talk
Costly Loss at Worlds
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Goldline Quantum X Men's Curling Shoes - Size 9 for Sale
Rock Talk
Which skill is most important ( 1 2 )
U.S.A. Curling
2017-18 High Performance Program
Manitoba Curling
Manitoba shuffle 2017/2018 ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
Curling in Canada 1937 lecture by Gordon Hudson
Fantasy Curling
Fantasy Pick'em
Playdowns
Women's ROTR Qualifiying for Ottawa ( 1 2 3 )
Playdowns
Mixed Doubles Playdowns ( 1 2 3 )
Rock Talk
Is there a consensus best ever ( 1 2 )
World Curling Tour
2017 Players' Championship ( 1 2 3 4 )
Rock Talk
Senior Woman - Looking to join a team
U.S.A. Curling
World Men's and Women's ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
Playdowns
Men's ROTR Qualifying for Ottawa ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
How many major titles can Gushue win
Playdowns
2017 mens world championship ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
Rock Talk
NEW! Paul Savage on Curling Legends Podcast
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Curling Shoes to Recommend? ( 1 2 )
Players/Teams Classifieds
2017-2018 Competitive Men's Team
Rock Talk
Olympic Qualifying
U.S.A. Curling
How do the Swiss do it?
U.S.A. Curling
Hibbing Last Chance
Rock Talk
The Curling Percentage System Is Broken
Playdowns
rock talk
Rock Talk
Worldcurl.com
Rock Talk
Mighty Curling Fan!
Playdowns
Brier divisions next year ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
The Curling Show Back Catalog Now Available
Rock Talk
What will Kaitlyn Lawes do when Jones retires?
U.S.A. Curling
Perth
Rock Talk
Homan will surpass Jones
Playdowns
US coverage of Men's Worlds
The Pit
Women's Hockey
Playdowns
2017 women's world championship ( 1 2 3 4 ... Last page )
U.S.A. Curling
2017 Mixed
Junior Curling
Junior Nationals in Victoria ( 1 2 )
Rock Talk
World Tour Schedule 2017-2018
Rock Talk
Canadian Seniors-Pool tiebreaking
Rock Talk
USA Women & 2018 Olympic Qualifying
Rock Talk
Ice in April.
Curling Club Chat
Shot to the button Rules
Gear Zone/Classifieds
Looking for a corn broom of two
Players/Teams Classifieds
Looking for Men's Team (Regular or Senior)
Post New Message  |  View All Forums

FANTASY PICK'EM

No Photo
Odlevak, Sherri
  No Photo
Stengle, Julie
VIEW MATCHUP
April 25 -- 4:00 pm EDT
Click to Pick the Winner!
Who do you think will win?

Follow CurlingZone on these networks: