Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-24-17 04:54PM
coppercanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coppercanuck Click here to Send coppercanuck a Private Message Find more posts by coppercanuck Add coppercanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coppercanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

High School Curling

Splitting off a topic from another thread.

High School curling activity around the USA.

Wisconsin? 30-40 teams? Is there a website? Is it just a one off tournament? Is there league play throughout the year? Who is driving this development, clubs or schools?

Any other states?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-24-17 05:45PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I believe Minnesota and North Dakota have high school curling as well but I'm not sure besides that. I know in Michigan we don't.

02-24-17 05:50PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Minnesota once had high school curling but that is some years ago. More recently Minnesota had a high school bonspiel but it was not sanctioned by the schools [I think it may have been run by the Minn Curling Association]

02-24-17 06:03PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

North Dakota has some high school curling. A minority of clubs offer an after-school opportunity, but no leagues and not many events.

Until last year, we did have a High School Championships. It was through the clubs and state curling association and not through the schools.

The hope of the USCA is that the new U-18 Championships will replace and greatly expand school-age curling.

Ben Tucker

02-24-17 08:56PM
coppercanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coppercanuck Click here to Send coppercanuck a Private Message Find more posts by coppercanuck Add coppercanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coppercanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks for the info.

I want to keep this topic positive. How do we move forward?

Should States and Regions host a high school curling championship? Or more of a festival type fun event?

I agree the U18 might push player development to a younger age group. I believe that a HS team will be a bit different than a U18 team. A little more recreational. There is still room for fun in the curling.

02-24-17 10:49PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

I don't see this going anywhere. U18 and junior championship will take care of competitive curlers. For those looking for more fun in curling there are lots of junior bonspiels - at least in Minn and Wisc. Not sure that another path is needed.

02-25-17 10:59AM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

It is still a full-fledged letter sport at some schools in Wisconsin--Lodi, Portage, Poynette, Wausau, Medford are ones I know of. My dad and wife lettered in curling in Wausau. Those schools play each other regularly in addition to a state championship which many other schools participate in even if curling is not an official sport at their school. There is also a popular High School bonspiel at Wausau in January. High School curling is a nice niche and could be a potential growth area in the sport.

02-25-17 02:24PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hit-n-roll? Jeremy is still alive? Nobody cares. How's your brother, Pat? We care about Pat.

Enough of my silliness. Back to discussions: HPP evil; USCA incompetent; we are doomed; etc...

Ben Tucker (haven't heard from Jeremy since he had kids)

02-26-17 12:00AM
hit-n-roll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit-n-roll Click here to Send hit-n-roll a Private Message Visit hit-n-roll's homepage! Find more posts by hit-n-roll Add hit-n-roll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit-n-roll
Harvey Hacksmasher

Haha hi Ben. Too long.

02-27-17 10:25AM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by coppercanuck
Thanks for the info.

I want to keep this topic positive. How do we move forward?

Should States and Regions host a high school curling championship? Or more of a festival type fun event?

I agree the U18 might push player development to a younger age group. I believe that a HS team will be a bit different than a U18 team. A little more recreational. There is still room for fun in the curling.

Depending on the school district, particularly if you're not in the Midwest "curling hotspot", liability issues are probably the largest obstacle. IIRC we had one or two members come up with a few ideas for lesson plans and made some initial inquiries, but the school districts weren't interested because of the potential
liability.

02-27-17 10:40AM
coppercanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefIceMinion

liability issues

I was afraid of that.

02-27-17 12:24PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just a note from the Canadian side. There was a time in Canada when there was no "Junior" curling (under 21) and any competitive curling for youth was based around school. You would play for the school, either on a chosen coached team or a team that won the school bonspiel or playdown. That team would then go to zones, if they won there then they went to provincials, then nationals. There is no longer a national competition, but the high school provincial championships still exist.

Junior curling in Canada was created when the national high school championship was dissolved and a lot of focus is now on Juniors. Curling is now just like a lot of other sports there are two different avenues for the sport. You can play high school curling and/or Junior curling. With the advent of the U 18 championships there is a Junior competition that has a parallel age group to the old high school championship. For both Junior and U 18 you enter a regional bonspiel, if you win that you go to provincials then nationals, then worlds.

The junior curling is great, no doubt about it. The U 18 was a much needed addition to youth curling. You tend to have a higher level of competition as you have serious and committed teams participating. There is however something to be said for having high school curling. It is a much lower barrier for entry and generally it has school support behind it to help supplement parental support. In my town there is a school league that gives kids an option that is a little more recreational. There is still a fairly high level of competition at both the zone (regional) and provincial level. This is the level you really need for curler recruitment. There are a lot of curlers in our club that curled in that league, and participated in the odd youth bonspiel (with no affiliation to the Juniors).