W: Stroud Sleeman Cash Spiel
M: Stroud Sleeman Cash Spiel
M: Coldwater Rocktoberfest U18 Mens Spiel
W: Coldwater Rocktoberfest U18 Womens Spiel
W: Regina Callie Rockoberfest
W: Wetzikon Wheelchair Curling Tournament
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 2
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 World Mens - Las Vegas

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-03-18 07:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

3-1 again with norway beating china the one i got wrong.

thats a massive win for norway since they have sweden and canada back to back. if they lost this they'd very likely end up 4-4 after those 2 games. very important win for them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-03-18 10:27PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

if italy wins after being 3 up tonight , the highballs are on Amos .

04-04-18 07:54AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

norway with a big day today. wins over china and sweden. huge for them.

what an insane match switzerland/korea must have been. would have loved to have been able to see it. now that i read the article on the website that's a tough way to lose for korea. on a burned rock

04-04-18 09:18AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

You can watch the Korea-Switzerland burned rock here: https://youtu.be/HhUf6hNMzus?t=2h47m5s

04-04-18 09:29AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
You can watch the Korea-Switzerland burned rock here: https://youtu.be/HhUf6hNMzus?t=2h47m5s

wow. that's what can happen when you get 3 guys that close to a rock sweeping hard i guess.

04-04-18 09:36AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

picks for today:

draw 12:

sweden def. italy - sweden will bounce back from a somewhat unexpected loss here

canada def. norway - norway surprised me twice yesterday but i think canada will pull out the win here

united states def. russia - this one's tough to call. the american's record is unfair to them. russia is playing well but i suspect, with backs against the wall the americans will come out and take this one

korea def. scotland - yes, i know mouat is 3-0 against kim. much like the americans though korea are back against the wall and in survivor mode here and if there's one thing i've noticed watching scotland it's that this week they've been burned when messing it up around the center, which korea love to do. of course how korea respond to that tough loss last night will also factor in but i think they'll put it behind them.korea will force scotland into more touch shots and draws and bruce's draws have looked inconsistent this week. kim to get his first win over mouat

draw 13

united states def. germany - US to have a good day an d stay alive with a double win day here

switzerland def. russia - this one's about dead even so won't be surprised either way but switzerland are on a roll

italy def. japan - italy should have to much for japan here

china def. netherlands - china will get back on the winning track after dropping 3 straight

draw 14

canada def. netherlands - canada shouldn't have to much trouble here

scotland def. japan - scotland should be able to rebound with a win here and stay at the top.

korea def. germany - i don't think germany have the shots to keep up with korea

norway def. switzerland - another one that's pretty tight to call but i'll go with norway here

Last edited by misty1 on 04-04-18 at 09:39AM

04-04-18 01:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well, so far 2-1. korea just completely going off the boil now. started 3-0 and now 3-5.

they have to figure out how to win again before they drop out of the playoff picture.

great for scotland though who are now just motoring through games.

04-04-18 03:57PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The Scots have proven to be excellent mechanics, much in the vein of a Canadian team named Mike McEwen (now disbanded).

However, the true test is whether they can layer in a level of nuance curling to compliment their superb mechanical game.

That was McEwen's undoing for years - lets see what the young Scots have in the nuance department . . . .

04-04-18 08:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

6-2 going into the night session again. that's a tough loss for russia. the russian third basically handed the shot stone to switzerland in an attempt to pick it out. still, russia had 3 attempts at run backs and missed all 3.

switzerland won 4 straight. right back in the conversation

04-05-18 12:09AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

I am totally tired and ticked listening to Vic have a rock, ice, crowd heat excuse for every damn rock Canada is throwing tonight. Perhaps the thrower has some input as to where the rock goes/ stops.

04-05-18 01:18AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
I am totally tired and ticked listening to Vic have a rock, ice, crowd heat excuse for every damn rock Canada is throwing tonight. Perhaps the thrower has some input as to where the rock goes/ stops.

I agree. All 3 of them are always making an excuse. Just once say they threw it bad, I’m sure most of the time the players would agree with them. Except for Gushue. In his mind he has never thrown bad.

04-05-18 02:38PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

team switzerland's run of lucky escapes finally comes to an end. seriously..3 wins in a row when the opponent let them off on final shots and 2 of them were extremely makeable

norway meanwhile in a downward spiral and not an easy schedule to close. i don't think they'll slip to 6 losses but 5 is probable

04-05-18 03:43PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

vIC, Cheryl & rUSTY ARE GETTING ALL HOT 'N BOTHERED cuz there's so few souls in the crowd, the thing isn't reverberating across Canada with NHL closing out the reg. season and Blue Jays off to an unexpected good start.

Like I said before this thing started its basically Edin, Goo & Mouat with a bunch of international minnows & fawns.

Not even close to Elite 10 levels - even with obvious improvement in curling programs in many of these countries.

The announce crew is trying hard to create tension and drama on every end - they know most of Goo's games will be early affairs - so all available excuses are in play.

04-05-18 03:59PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
vIC, Cheryl & rUSTY ARE GETTING ALL HOT 'N BOTHERED cuz there's so few souls in the crowd, the thing isn't reverberating across Canada with NHL closing out the reg. season and Blue Jays off to an unexpected good start.

Like I said before this thing started its basically Edin, Goo & Mouat with a bunch of international minnows & fawns.

Not even close to Elite 10 levels - even with obvious improvement in curling programs in many of these countries.

The announce crew is trying hard to create tension and drama on every end - they know most of Goo's games will be early affairs - so all available excuses are in play.

i think everybody knew, when this field was finalized that scotland, canada and sweden were the heavy favorites to hit the podium and that's showing in the standings with scotland, canada and sweden 2 games clear of everyone else. scotland was maybe the question mark because of nerves but there are no signs of nerves with these guys.

as of now switzerland, norway , korea and russia are in pole position to qualify in the final 3 spots. korea is turning it around but hit 5 losses possibly to early. norway is falling off the rails and switzerland is up and down and pretty lucky to even still be in it. russia meanwhile has a harsh closing 4 with scotland, sweden, korea and the netherlands still to come. it's possible they lose the last 4

6 losses technically still not dead so there are only 2 teams mathematically eliminated. predictably that's germany and japan, the 2 weakest teams here

04-05-18 04:38PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

We are into the first end, second rocks. Already Cheryl and Russ are talking about mismatched Canadian rocks.

04-05-18 05:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

damn it listening to rus and cheryl is frustrating. 3rd end and china's last shot. they talk about how china needs to get in for 2 and how they wouldn't guard because then it leaves brad a shot for 2. so then china decides to try and get in for 2nd and they criticize how risky it was

04-05-18 05:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

In a perfect world they would mic the players and then have "limited" verbal diarrhea from those 3. They think it's last comic standing at times. Except they're not funny. There's nothing wrong with silence.

04-05-18 05:26PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

And another thing. They say how great the communication is but continually talk over it. Shut up and let us all hear.

Toda'ys rant.

04-05-18 05:27PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i do put it mute most time because i just can't . i just muted it now. i try listening with sound because i like to able to hear or understand the curler's calls. much like with espn commentators though it just gets to be to much

04-05-18 06:19PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

sweden has been paying edin team $150,000 per year for 12 years - canceled this year

was what they lived on - now sponsorships will be eaten up by travel expenses

may see some retirements

gushue is in line for abt 4 years of similar amount with 2 briers

too much to few in my opinion

laycock may be good fit with cotter -

04-05-18 06:25PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
sweden has been paying edin team $150,000 per year for 12 years - canceled this year

was what they lived on - now sponsorships will be eaten up by travel expenses

may see some retirements

gushue is in line for abt 4 years of similar amount with 2 briers

too much to few in my opinion

laycock may be good fit with cotter -

I'm a huge critic of nonsensical salaries in pro sport - but I think $150k for professional, well-spoken and dedicated outfits like Brad Gushue, Jennifer Jones, Kevin Koe, Nik Edin, etc. is MONEY WELL SPENT.
PERHAPS, EVEN NOT ENOUGH!

$150k shared between 4 players, a top level coach (Jules Owchar), Tom the Spare and other team expenses is probably less than $30,000 a man. That's probably less than the worst cop in Canada - who all earn around $75,000 to $100,000+ depending on over-time.

Good cops are sometimes discredits to society - bad cops are essentially human vermin - unfit for feeding immo.

So I admire curling federations who pay their top curlers and support teams to promote the sport and represent them at various events (local, national, world)

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 04-05-18 at 06:30PM

04-05-18 06:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

New math

150k from Sweden
50k AT LEAST corporate sponsorship
100k earned in the slams

300k per year/ 7-8 months really

04-05-18 07:03PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

They spend a lot of time in the air and in Canada. Would expenses be covered in addition to the 150k?

04-06-18 12:23AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

3 in a row now for the Stars and Stripes against the Maple Leaf

04-06-18 12:36AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

When I see a top guy like Gushue blow off a couple games (thus far) and have the prospect of losing one more I am continually reminded on how great Jennifer Jones' accomplishments at the 2014 Olympics and 2018 Worlds really are - ie. UNBEATEN IN BOTH

You would think people like Goo, Kevin Koe, Rachel Homan are mentally trained like marines - but the toughest of them all is a blonde lady in her 40s out of Winnipeg, Manitoba - named Jennifer Jones.

Gushue will be increasingly apprehensive if he somehow fails to collect a bye into the semi-finals and have to play that extra game . . . .