Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2015 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 25 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-27-15 07:47AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

2015 World Women's Curling Championship

I know we've got a little while to go, but I thought I'd go ahead and kick off the WWCC 2015 discussion.

This year's STOH field was arguably deeper and tougher. Some of the perennial contenders have a few interesting storylines..

Sweden: Margaretha Sigfridsson is back, but without regular second Maria Wennerstrom. This team actually lost the Swedish championship final to Wrana, a team just out of juniors. We've seen that introducing a new player to the lineup, especially in an established team like Sigridsson, can definitely be an adjustment.

Scotland: Muirhead's also got a new player - Sarah Reid is in at lead replacing Claire Hamilton. This team's always dangerous but they've also been a bit off their regular pace this season, with a few unexpected losses in the Scottish championships. Of course Muirhead has the ability to win games on her own, but she'll need more help from her team to match up with the best here.

Switzerland: Defending World and European champs Binia Feltscher finished well back in the Swiss championship, and there was a mild upset in the final as Ptz qualified over Tirinzoni. Ptz has done some damage on the tour but I believe this is her Worlds debut.

China: Sijia Liu also has a new lineup - last year's lead, Jinli Liu has moved up to third. This team played just well enough, and got enough mistakes from Korea in the deciding moments, to qualify this year.

You might be able to make a case that the two top contenders are the teams that have stayed intact since the Olympics: CANADA and RUSSIA. Sidorova's quietly had a great year, with a recent win at the Winter Universiade. And we've all seen what Jennifer Jones has been up to this season.

If Jones and her team are on form, well-rested, and can get over the time difference, they should be the odds-on favourites here. We've seen Jones struggle in Worlds before, but this will be Kaitlyn's first appearance - and since the 2013 Olympic Trials this team has been almost unbeatable in the games that matter most. A successful trip to Japan earlier this season (winners of the Karuizawa International) might well be a harbinger of good things to come.

Here's how I see the week shaping up:

1. Canada (Jennifer Jones)
2. Russia (Anna Sidorova)
3. Scotland (Eve Muirhead)
4. Sweden (Margaretha Sigfridsson)
5. Switzerland (Alina Ptz) - dark horse to make the playoffs
6. Japan (Ayumi Ogasawara)
7. Denmark (Lene Neilsen)
8. United States (Aileen Sormunen)
9. China (Sijia Liu)
10. Norway (Kristin Skaslien)
11. Finland (Sanna Puustinen)
12. Germany (Daniela Driendl)

Canada's schedule is front-loaded: they'll face both Scotland and Sweden on a tough Day 2. Reminiscent of the Olympic Games, which had a tougher field overall. But if Jones is slow catching on to the ice, we may see her take a few punches early in the week.

Hans Wuthrich is making the ice. Sapporo hasn't hosted the Worlds before, but this event will be held in a designated ice arena. We shouldn't have another Paisley debacle on our hands here.

TSN, at least for now, is indicating complete coverage of this event on their website. All 11 Canadian round-robin games, plus the playoffs. Outstanding.

Also pleased to see that the Winnipeg Free Press's Melissa Martin will be travelling to provide coverage from the event. She's had some excellent stories of the Jones journey all season, from Winkler to Moose Jaw. Watch for her reports.

What do you guys think? Who's looking good? Who should be happy just to enjoy the sushi and sake? How will the audiences be? How will the local TV numbers check out? And can anyone stop Jennifer Jones?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-27-15 01:04PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I'm hoping Gold for Canada. I believe they can do it. Here's the TSN television coverage.

Mar. 14 6am CAN vs FIN TSN
Mar. 15 1am CAN vs SCO TSN2
Mar. 15 6am CAN vs SWE TSN
Mar. 15 8pm CAN vs CHN TSN
Mar. 16 6am CAN vs RUS TSN
Mar. 17 1am CAN vs USA TSN
Mar. 17 6am CAN vs DEN TSN
Mar. 17 8pm CAN vs NOR TSN1/4
Mar. 18 6am CAN vs SUI TSN
Mar. 18 8pm CAN vs GER TSN1
Mar. 19 1am CAN vs JAP TSN
Mar. 20 6am Page Playoff TSN
Mar. 20 8pm Page Playoff TSN2
Mar. 21 4am Semifinal TSN
Mar. 22 4am Gold Medal Game TSN

02-27-15 02:32PM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
I'm hoping Gold for Canada. I believe they can do it. Here's the TSN television coverage.

Is this all times EST? Man that really really sucks....especially out here in the mountains. :s

02-27-15 08:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

really cant disagree. its a 4 team race basically between sweden, russia, scotland and canada. darkhorse is switzerland. one team i think everyone might need to really watch out for here is japan. had a great cash season and she's given JJ to very good battles when they have met.she also gave her one of her tightest matches in socchi and beat sidorova there. if ogasawara gets hot this week japan could very well make the playoffs and could even grab a medal.

germany i think might do a little better than you think , dont see them finishing last. that will probably be finland

my final rankings:

1. scotland
2. canada
3. japan
4. russia
5. sweden
6. switzerland
7. china
8. united states
9. denmark
10. germany
11. norway
12. finland

Last edited by misty1 on 02-27-15 at 08:54PM

03-02-15 02:22AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Noeller
Is this all times EST? Man that really really sucks....especially out here in the mountains. :s

Well its in Japan, the only other option would be having them play at 3am Japan time so we could watch them. Great for working nights though.

03-02-15 02:29AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

This will run along with the next grand slam event, both networks will be showing curling that weekend, cant complain about that.

03-04-15 09:22PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The Scotland game is on TSN2 because the main network is showing the Australian GP.

03-04-15 10:11PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
really cant disagree. its a 4 team race basically between sweden, russia, scotland and canada. darkhorse is switzerland. one team i think everyone might need to really watch out for here is japan. had a great cash season and she's given JJ to very good battles when they have met.she also gave her one of her tightest matches in socchi and beat sidorova there. if ogasawara gets hot this week japan could very well make the playoffs and could even grab a medal.

germany i think might do a little better than you think , dont see them finishing last. that will probably be finland

my final rankings:

1. scotland
2. canada
3. japan
4. russia
5. sweden
6. switzerland
7. china
8. united states
9. denmark
10. germany
11. norway
12. finland

I really don't think Russia or Japan will do anything, they haven't so far, the Swiss maybe the US and Denmark will, China could surprise too, no way will Sweden miss the playoffs.

03-04-15 10:19PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

I really don't think Russia or Japan will do anything, they haven't so far, the Swiss maybe the US and Denmark will, China could surprise too, no way will Sweden miss the playoffs.

Sidorova just won gold at the winter universiade and took the silver at the European championships this year and the Swiss team who took gold won't be there, she's a top contender.

03-04-15 11:14PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

^ Well we saw how poorly Russia did at the Olympics, so you really can't consider them contenders, it doesn't matter how good looking they are, it's still not going to win them curling games.

03-04-15 11:18PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
^ Well we saw how poorly Russia did at the Olympics, so you really can't consider them contenders, it doesn't matter how good looking they are, it's still not going to win them curling games.

Russia has been a lot better this year and has proven they can beat Eve, now it's just JJ in their way. I don't see them doing it but silver is a possibility, she got bronze last year.

03-04-15 11:23PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

Russia has been a lot better this year and has proven they can beat Eve, now it's just JJ in their way. I don't see them doing it but silver is a possibility, she got bronze last year.

Nah, well I'm sure a few teams can beat Eve if they play them enough times, but they are also playing 8 end games and not 10 usually, they lost the Euro final to the Swiss.

It's not hard to do well in an Olympic year when federations send their weaker teams to the Worlds because their best teams were at the Olympics, still they only got bronze.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-04-15 at 11:29PM

03-04-15 11:46PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

Nah, well I'm sure a few teams can beat Eve if they play them enough times, but they are also playing 8 end games and not 10 usually, they lost the Euro final to the Swiss.

It's not hard to do well in an Olympic year when federations send their weaker teams to the Worlds because their best teams were at the Olympics, still they only got bronze.

They went undefeated in the Euro round robin this year (with ten end games) in a field that included the world champs and Eve Muirhead, before losing the final. I'd probably rank them fourth or fifth coming in, but don't pretend they're nobodies. They can play.

03-05-15 12:02AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

They went undefeated in the Euro round robin this year (with ten end games) in a field that included the world champs and Eve Muirhead, before losing the final. I'd probably rank them fourth or fifth coming in, but don't pretend they're nobodies. They can play.

Look, they've even won the Euros before, but they always fail at the big show, just you see, they are overhyped again and will fail again, besides RR doesn't mean much, it just get's you into the playoffs.

Pretty baffling why Feltscher isn't there, the Swiss fed has always been weird that way. Where is Ott, is she retired now?

Last edited by Stoner on 03-05-15 at 12:08AM

03-05-15 12:05AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Look, they've even won the Euros before, but they always fail at the big show, just you see, they are overhyped again and will fail again, besides RR doesn't mean much, it just get's you into the playoffs.

Pretty baffling why Feltscher isn't there, the Swiss fed has always been weird that way.

Plain and simple, she lost the Swiss nationals and like us the national winners go to the world's.

03-05-15 12:13AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

Plain and simple, she lost the Swiss nationals and like us the national winners go to the world's.

That would be nice if it were true, but it's not, because Fed's send whatever team they want, because last year a different team from Sweden won their national championship but did not go to the Worlds, I think they have their nationals before the Euro's anyway.

03-05-15 12:16AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

That would be nice if it were true, but it's not, because Fed's send whatever team they want, because last year a different team from Sweden won their national championship but did not go to the Worlds, I think they have their nationals before the Euro's anyway.

No they just happened last weekend along with the Scotties and the scots. Plus Switzerland is not Sweden, Sweden doesn't send their national champs but the Swiss and scots do. Murdoch lost the Scottish mens finals and won't be in Halifax.

03-05-15 12:22AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

No they just happened last weekend along with the Scotties and the scots. Plus Switzerland is not Sweden, Sweden doesn't send their national champs but the Swiss and scots do. Murdoch lost the Scottish mens finals and won't be in Halifax.

No, the other Feds send whoever they want, regardless if they win the nationals or not, which makes having nationals at all totally pointless, they should send their Euro teams, who are better usually.

03-05-15 12:28AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

No, the other Feds send whoever they want, regardless if they win the nationals or not, which makes having nationals at all totally pointless, they should send their Euro teams, who are better usually.

That's not true, other euro countries do, but not the Swiss.

03-05-15 12:32AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Swiss do play a Nationals and the winner goes if they have accumulated enough Swiss Ranking System (similar to OOM) points. I believe they have to earn 60 points, of which 25 do come from winning the Swiss Nationals.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-05-15 12:33AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Pretty baffling why Feltscher isn't there, the Swiss fed has always been weird that way. Where is Ott, is she retired now?

Ott is coaching the team that won.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-05-15 12:35AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

It's weird though, like where is Mirjam Ott this year. The Dupont sisters from Denmark had disappeared for a few years for some reason, then all of a sudden they are at the Worlds last year.

03-05-15 12:39AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Ott is coaching the team that won.

So she's retired from play then and now works for the Fed, I see.

03-05-15 12:53AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

I love how you act like you know stuff that you clearly do not. The Scots have a playdown where the winner goes to Worlds. I guess the Swiss have some points requirement, but it is in the hands of the curlers. At any rate, the Feds do not send whoever they want. Yes, some countries pick the team, but some do not. Scotland and Switzerland do not.

03-05-15 12:55AM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I love how you act like you know stuff that you clearly do not. The Scots have a playdown where the winner goes to Worlds. I guess the Swiss have some points requirement, but it is in the hands of the curlers. At any rate, the Feds do not send whoever they want. Yes, some countries pick the team, but some do not. Scotland and Switzerland do not.

What was that, in the same post you said that the Feds both do not and do send whoever they want, what a joke, I like how you act you know what you are saying when clearly you do not.