Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Elite 10. Sunny st James winnipeg

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-26-18 09:51AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Elite 10. Sunny st James winnipeg

Starts March 15
TV games start thurs - sun9:30 am local time ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-26-18 11:44AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

men only event - teams not listed on GSOC page yet - rankings as of pre Oly's suggest it will be: Edin Gushue Jacobs Carruthers Koe Epping McEwen Smith DeCruz Schwarz and Laycock - if they all attend. (Next 5 on list = Ulsrud, Cotter, Howard, McCormick, Shuster. I bet they WANT Shuster now... hmmm. Anyone see the final list?

02-26-18 04:55PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Shuster just announced they are in.

02-26-18 06:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

ALL the Euro teams declined except Edin

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...10-in-winnipeg/

03-11-18 09:54PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

is there a draw at 8 am thursday

i have a ticket but there are no games scheduled

practise time ???

03-12-18 07:16AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

The Spiel starts at noon central time, here is the full schedule:
http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...-draw-schedule/

03-12-18 07:21AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
is there a draw at 8 am thursday

i have a ticket but there are no games scheduled

practise time ???

Just read this.
2018 Princess Auto Elite 10: TV Schedule
Date/Draw Eastern Time (ET) Pacific Time (PT) TV
Thursday, March 15
Round Robin 1:00 p.m. 10:00 a.m. Sportsnet
Round Robin 5:00 p.m. 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet
Round Robin 9:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m. Sportsnet
Friday, March 16
Round Robin 1:00 p.m. 10:00 a.m. Sportsnet
Round Robin 5:00 p.m. 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet
Round Robin 9:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m. Sportsnet
Saturday, March 17
Quarterfinals 1:00 p.m. 10:00 a.m. Sportsnet
Semifinals 5:00 p.m. 2:00 p.m. Sportsnet ONE
Sunday, March 18
Final 10:30 a.m. 7:30 a.m. Sportsnet

03-12-18 12:55PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

the full draw with teams playing is on

the grandslamofcurling

above lists tv sched

03-12-18 02:39PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Any chance of any coverage or legally accessible webstream in the US?

03-12-18 02:45PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

A streaming package can be purchased at gsoc.yaretv.com that works in the US

I’ve had it all season for the slams and it’s been really good quality.

03-12-18 04:00PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Bet sponsors were happy Botcher didn't win Brier.

03-14-18 09:38AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Stoughton has been picked up to play third for Carruthers in this event.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...rs-at-elite-10/

03-14-18 03:04PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Hitting Paint

On this week's "From the Hack" podcast, Mike Harris from Sportsnet talked about the Elite 10 a bit and mentioned that starting next season there will be a women's Elite 10 as well. More details are to come during the Sportsnet coverage of this year's Elite 10, I believe.

03-15-18 05:12PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

dropped in to watch a few minutes of first draw

the players all look thinner in real life - and taller ! and cuter !

stands are 3 feet away so its like you are playing them

tv lites are bright - its like walking down trans Canada Highway at Midnight

the rocks make a crashing sound on the hard takeouts - quite loud. ...

parking lot was full - not sure what they will do tonight and Saturday when there is also a swim tournament

Sunday 9:30 am final shud be easy !!!!

not using 2 free tics to 4 pm game today
pickupin north river heights

Last edited by fresca on 03-15-18 at 05:33PM

03-17-18 10:04AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

enjoyed the afternoon draw friday

they were the shooting the lites out

a car driving down Ness hit a cedar hydro pole. it shattered , leaving a 10 ft piece hanging from the wires - 10 ft of air and 10 ft piece sticking out of ground

power was disrupted for 15 minutes - rsn crew were using generator truck for lites so was not noticeable in stands.

15 rocks in play ever end - not much tension as curling is winding down for year ( and longer for many ) and a 5 ender only = one pt

stoughten played amazingly well for a retired guy

if epping knocks off sweden this morning its a Canadian final

happy that howard is doing well

Princess Auto doing awesome job as host. - tossing free caps , handing out free cushions , and 40 employees helping out everywhere - well done p a

Last edited by fresca on 03-17-18 at 10:14AM

03-17-18 11:03AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Princess Auto is exactly the kind of sponsor curilng should endeavour to keep and grow - I got a FREE cowbell when I visited the opening draw Thursday.

Other Legend notes:

1. Shook hands with Olympic champion John Shuster prior to game - he was friendly as all git out and even listened to my short babble about Orest Meleschuk stealing a world championship in 1972 vs. USA

2. Don't think Kevin Martin likes being called K-Mart. I called him K-Mart as he made his way up to the broadcast booth. Really doesn't engage with fans much for a curling legend. Joanie & Husky Harris were far more becoming.

3. Ice was clean and sharp - rocks making a bit more rattle than they usually do.

4. Low ceiling arena (St. James Civic Ctr) means light racking can really bother those at floor level and up to 2 or 3 rows up - have to get to the 6th to 8th row to avoid glare. Some old folks don't like climbing that mountain.

5. Reid didn't recognize me so at least we saved a 911 call for an incident. lol

6. Had a good conversation with the gentleman running the 10 foot by 6 ft TV in the arena, he's a former TSN and Sportsnet cameraman who now works for a company out of Regina that puts these big screen tvs to work at events such as this.

7. Safety took a second seat to speed. When the time clock failed on the outside sheet - they took too long to replace it - but once they got a fresh clock they didn't clear the volunteer ladies working behind the sheet. Those clocks look small on TV but they're actually 45" TV screens - maybe weight 10 to 12 lbs. Not much but if dropped from 15 to 20 feet they could inflict damage to a human head. They didn't clear the ladies - just replaced the thing. I was holding my breath but decided not to interfere - last time I tried to unofficially ref a dispute I almost got lambasted by Pat Ryan back at the Highlander in the late 70s.

8. Coffee was good - for $2 it should be, stands were almost 40% FULL - on the first draw - last nite they looked 80 to 90% full - purely amazing for a non-Brier or Scotties event. Last time this facility was used was in the 1990s for a Manitoba Scotties; before that a made for TV championship were Sask'n champion lady Vera Pezer destroyed an obviously drunk and ill-tempered Orest "BIG o" Meleschuk. Before that a CTV event in the early to mid 70s were I got to work with Don Chevrier as a runner of information. Crowds were bigger last night than either prior curling event.

As Fresco El Diablo points out the event was well managed, tons of volunteers, computerized admissions, few sponsors in the concourse selling merch. No pin people though - that was disappointing.

Parking was limited for huge crowds - snow hadn't been cleared completely form the arena's parking area. No big signs or balloons identifying the Princess Auto event in front of the facility. Princess should look into that. They should invest in a balloon sign or somesuch - as they're already into the thing for big dollars.

03-17-18 11:25AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

love the way McEwen team is playing. Like a load has been lifted off their shoulders.

Making the shots, loose, having fun - still sad they are breaking up. Too bad the could not have used that attitude through the season.

03-17-18 11:43AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
love the way McEwen team is playing. Like a load has been lifted off their shoulders.

Making the shots, loose, having fun - still sad they are breaking up. Too bad the could not have used that attitude through the season.

Don't wanna be a Debbie Downer but Mike was usually "ON FIRE" during his wonderful curling career - UNTIL he's confronted by a superior monster and doesn't have the shots, patience or accuracy facing extreme pressure.

Fortunately he's in the semis already. Unbeaten to boot. Probably has to get by Jacobs to advance to the final.
Fortunate he won't be playing all of Koe, Gushue Edin (who was soundly dumped by John Epping in a tie-break this a.m.)

Mikey vs. Gushue would be an excellent dotting of the I's . . . .for Mike's career - particularly if he can squash an Olympic, double Brier and world champion - even if its glorified skins game.

But if he loses - I'd say he's slight favorite to knock off Jacobs but vs.
Koe - he's a 45% underdog
Gushue - 33% underdog
Epping - around 50/50, maybe Mikey is slight favorite

03-17-18 11:34PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

was at elite this afternoon

thought kk shud have guarded with his last instead of bitting 8 - and setting up double

almost yelled out - guard

03-18-18 12:49PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Perfect ending for mcewen rink.

03-18-18 12:51PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Perfect ending for mcewen rink.

Yes, unbeaten, at home - still sad they are breaking up.

Maybe they just need to announce that every week and play so loose and fun!

Good Luck to all the guys!

03-18-18 06:38PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

In the style of Old Scotty Harper

Egged on by nearly 1,000 rabid hometown curling fans - Mike Mercury and his Thunderbirds cruised to a rather easy victory in their final game as Team McEwen.

Playing near perfect for the better part of 6 ends - McEwen defeated one of the greatest teams in curling's lengthy history.

Long held back by the superior play of Lord Stoughton of Manitoba - McEwen erased a ton of bitter memories in one final, superlative game of icemanship.

Never a Brier, World or Olympic winner - Mike McEwen and his Brandon to Winnipeg squad may now be remembered as the greatest curling team to never win one or all of curling's premier events (Brier, Worlds, Olympics)

It was curling at its finest - the St. James Civic Arena has never been graced with curling at this fantastical level.

Godspeed, Michael McEwen. Godspeed!

03-18-18 08:16PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

great picture of Team McEwen and their "little" coaches.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...etown-elite-10/

03-18-18 09:36PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Nice features and interviews w/ Team McEwen, especially by Joanie McSasky . . .
Haven't seen Brad the Conqueror look that exasperated fo many a year - he thought he owned McEwen - and McEwen even donated a skin to the Goo Goo Guys.

So long as Goo, Jacobs, Koe are the top of their games - McEwen will never get his hands n a Brier trophy - - - - but he's still a solid skip - and I'm sure he'll have an interesting squad come 2019.

Reid at 3rd - hmmmn, I'd rather have Bibi Moskowy

03-19-18 03:41PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Don't they still have two events left? Would have been a nice finish but three in a row would be even better.