Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-14-15 01:23PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Getting close to post time. Place your bets. I don't want to be swamped with those saying "I knew Nina would win" the day after the finals.

Prop Bets: McCormick/McCormick Double Win Special 15 to 1

Tetley's sons end up being better curlers than their mother: 20 to 1...damn hockey

Monica Walker has troubles with the airlines either going to Kzoo or returning home 1 to 1

Katie Bert makes Steph Jensen laugh so hard that Steph actually snorts 1 to 1

Odds that Dave Jensen will be offered cash for his notes on the rocks 1 to 1, odds that he'll accept cash 55 to 1

As Willy The Wise says, bet with your head...not over your head.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-14-15 06:42PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Kind of surprised to see Lank v Roth, Sormunen v Christianson, Brown v McCormick in first round. It used to be that top teams would not meet until later in the week.
Do they still use peer seeding for this event?

Last edited by dbsdbs on 02-14-15 at 06:55PM

02-14-15 07:59PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Upset in first draw.... Go Lank!

02-14-15 08:08PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

I have yet to see a significant difference in the success of the HPP teams (both mens and women's) vs. the top non-funded teams that would really justify the money spent on that silly program...

02-14-15 09:22PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
I have yet to see a significant difference in the success of the HPP teams (both mens and women's) vs. the top non-funded teams that would really justify the money spent on that silly program...

Not a fan of the HPP but since the goal of that program is to produce a stronger national champion/world rep, maybe we should let the week play out a bit more before drawing any conclusions?

02-15-15 08:52AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Some of us are up early watching the women's games. Looks like "4's are wild"!

One game is 9-1 after 3!

02-15-15 02:28PM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

A little late but I am choosing Roth over Brown.

I think some are having trouble learning the ice with the big ends so far.

After watching the games I am wondering a little about the uniform rules for competitions. Three of a team wearing kilts but not the fourth? Multiple sponsor patches? One member wearing a hat while the other three wearing no hat?

Seems to be a change in the rules or are they not as strict in enforcing them?

02-16-15 09:05AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Obvious some of these curlers have little experience on swingy ice, especially the last 3 or 4 women's teams. They must not be trusting the brooms with all the crashed guards. Of course how many US curlers do?

Swing seems similar to the ice on the Scotties (ESPN3).

02-16-15 05:50PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Obvious some of these curlers have little experience on swingy ice

Swing seems similar to the ice on the Scotties (ESPN3).

Have not looked at webstream until this afternoon but, unless the ice has changed significantly, this is definitely not swingy ice. Broom on edge of 4 foot to draw button is not very much curl at all.

02-16-15 06:39PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The ice is playing "green". They had problems with the deionizing tanks, I hear. It should get better as the week goes on with heavy scrapes.

None of the last 4 teams to get in have beaten the Top 6 yet.

I'm liking my picks. Patti vs Eileen a big game going on right now. If the HPP teams are going to finish outside of the Top Three, somebody has to hang some losses on Eileen.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 12:05PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I can see that there's no "minimum end requirement". A few of these games haven't made it to the break. That has to be very distressing.
There are "Canuckleheads" watching the webcast-for some reason there's no morning draw at the Scotties today (must have been celebrating "Family Day" last night...)
How are the crowds?

02-17-15 02:01PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

"How are the crowds?" Dude, you are SO Canadian!

Last Four teams finally score a win over the Top Six teams this morning as Bert upsets Princess Debbie in an extra end. I didn't get to watch any of it, but I imagine it was pretty good.

When looking at the remaining games, give Patti a bump in your standings. They only have 1 game left against the Top Six. Give Aileen a slight bump because they have head-to-head wins against both Cory and Patti.

Katie Bert could win out and make the playoffs, but that's a tough set of games (Wapola, Lank, Sormunen).

If you're looking for team to play Wild Card, look to Joyance. Lots of tight games played so far and precious little to show for it. Unlikely to make the playoffs, they could have a big impact on the playoffs with their remaining games (Lank, Roth, Moulton).

For those playing the interesting game of No HPP Teams In The Top Three, you're gonna need Nina to beat Aileen tonight and/or Cory to beat Aileen tomorrow. If HPP Nina or Aileen make the Page 1v2, it's over. However, if Erika and Cory (or maybe Patti) make the Page 1v2, then we have us an interesting Page 3v4. Nina owns no head-to-head wins over contending teams yet.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 02:12PM
westcoveroadie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for westcoveroadie Click here to Send westcoveroadie a Private Message Find more posts by westcoveroadie Add westcoveroadie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
westcoveroadie
Harvey Hacksmasher

If Roth and Sormunen end up in the 3/4 page game, that single game would be winner take all for a trip to Worlds, no?

02-17-15 02:19PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

That is my understanding. Between now and then, however, Team Roth would have to remember how to curl.

Too snarky? Too mean? I'm just trying to be funny. That team has had a very good year. I know. Just trying to be funny.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 02:28PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Tuck, what's with the resentment-in case anybody has forgotten, this is one Canuck who wants to see the U.S. do well, both nationally and internationally-check my earlier posts.

I think that the international growth of our game is more dependent on getting exposure in the States AS A RESULT OF STRONG U.S. TEAMS than simply watching TSN or the pro tour.

So yes, I'm just curious as to how many folks have made the trip to the "Zoo"? (as in a term of endearment for Kalamazoo).

Also wondering if Ian Tetley has made the trip.

Your friend,

02-17-15 04:56PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, Jimbo. I'm just trying to be funny today. Pointing out the difference in USA curling and Canadian curling just struck my funnybone. While Canucks actually pay attention to crowd size for big events, it hardly ever dawns on us to ask.

Philly (twice now) has packed a small arena. We'll fill up a curling club like Devils Lake this year for Juniors. Fargo had nice crowds for the Olympic Trials, but it was lost in the 6,000 seat arena as most hung in boxes or in the bar.

Didn't mean any offence. I know a friendly neighbour when I see one...and I deliberately misspelt neighbor to prove it.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 05:03PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

...oh...and Tet's normal modus operandi is to show up when the playoffs start. Until then, he takes his turn watching the sons. As the sons get of age to play hockey (a terrible sport), Chubb sightings might get fewer and farther inbetween.

Last time I saw Tet, I was so drained from the webcasting that I didn't even recognize him at first. I was a dead lump and just looking to get drunk. Now I wish I had sucked it up and asked him 1,000,000 questions.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 07:11PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Let's declare this championship over. I'm pretty proud of my Erika-over-Cory prognostication and want it to stop right now before it all goes to heck.

Ben Tucker

02-17-15 09:30PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

The further the week goes on, the less the games are seeming to matter.... Off I go to watch The Scotties on ESPN3, where the matches get more important the further we go through the week...

02-17-15 09:41PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
The further the week goes on, the less the games are seeming to matter.... Off I go to watch The Scotties on ESPN3, where the matches get more important the further we go through the week...

unfortunately for USA curling, you are spot on. Try as I do, just cannot get interested in watching USA nationals.

02-17-15 09:55PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Yeah, they've sucked the drama out of the round robin for sure.

As much as I am not keen on the HPP a couple of their decisions on the women's side have worked out quite well. Including the junior team has energized Team Christenson and they are seriously kicking senior butts. Last minute line-up changes (Walker from lead to vice on Team Sormunen and Anderson tossing last bricks for Christianson) are working out for both teams.

Team Roth may miss the page altogether which add pressure for continued HPP funding. Hopefully not as the HPP definitely owes them one.

Last edited by TNH on 02-17-15 at 09:58PM

02-17-15 10:06PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I'm looking at the women's rosters and see that very few of these teams are listing their residences anywhere near their teammates. How often do they get together to practise and who puts the rinks together?

Erika is a perfect example: Oakville (Toronto area), Minnesota, Wisconsin and Maryland.

By the way, before conceding the championship, somebody please tell this Canuck (and long-time Lank fan) about Cory Christensen.

FYI, I was in attendance at the old Winnipeg Arena when Debbie beat Colleen...you're welcome!

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 02-17-15 at 10:15PM

02-17-15 11:13PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Yeah, they've sucked the drama out of the round robin for sure.

As much as I am not keen on the HPP a couple of their decisions on the women's side have worked out quite well. Including the junior team has energized Team Christenson and they are seriously kicking senior butts. Last minute line-up changes (Walker from lead to vice on Team Sormunen and Anderson tossing last bricks for Christianson) are working out for both teams.

Team Roth may miss the page altogether which add pressure for continued HPP funding. Hopefully not as the HPP definitely owes them one.

I guess with how Roth is doing, or even H. McCormick on the men's side, is this system working? Very debatable.... Yes, some of the HPP teams are doing well, although I would bet that those teams would have done fairly well without the funding, so is there a huge step change in performance level between funded and non-funded teams that warrants spending the money in that way? Thus far, no way. We'll have a better answer after Nationals and Worlds I suppose. Although any improvement from a 6th place (women) or 10th place finish (mens) will be touted as evidence that the HPP is working (once again, debatable. when you're near the bottom of the pack, it's not hard to move up a notch)

02-17-15 11:53PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Not sure that one year is enough time to determine if HPP is working. [However, I suspect that if Roth and McCormick were leading the fields the USCA would be touting the program's success.] I guess Roth has had a decent year but the payoff is supposed to come at the end and we are not seeing that.

I suppose HPP gets some credit for Christianson rink but I still question the idea of identifying a small select group of junior rather giving more junior curlers the opportunity to develop. Roth's results this year show the problems with putting all one's eggs in a single basket.

02-18-15 12:13AM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Not sure that one year is enough time to determine if HPP is working. [However, I suspect that if Roth and McCormick were leading the fields the USCA would be touting the program's success.] I guess Roth has had a decent year but the payoff is supposed to come at the end and we are not seeing that.

That's kind of the problem. It's easy to say "well, the system hasn't been around long enough to see if it's working or not yet", if the chosen few don't win but low and behold, if one of the teams does well, it'll suddenly be "OMG! The HPP is a complete success and is working, give us more money!! Donate! Donate! Donate!" screamed all over the place.

What metrics are being made that are NOT being made up by the HPP program, but by a non-biased person(s) not associated with the HPP program? Why does the HPP get to make up the rules regarding US Curling and then also coach their own teams? Seems like a major conflict of interest. Why can't there be a person/persons who are not affiliated with any teams who makeup those rules regarding US Curling, OOM, who qualifies for what, etc, and if USCA wants to fund coaches, etc., for certain teams, so be it. Those teams should be good enough then to achieve a high level of play and make it through without having rules that go in their favor.