Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-27-15 09:36PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Best Season Ever

To start with I don't want to have an argument with those that think that the Brier is all that matters and if you can put a cherry on that pie well then so much the better. Aka. Martin and Jones need not apply. Being 1-3 in the World's.

I more especially don't want to have a conversation with the 'Quadrennial Clan' who think that the Olympics is the epitome of curling. I couldn't disagree more. It's a spiel, yes the monetary stakes and the media stakes are raised. The competition? Inferior to a Slam by a mile! This is not an opinion this is a fact. The rest of the world being 0-56 in Men's Slams. An incredibly telling statistic given the randomness of the game itself.

Will this public perception ever change? Doubtful. Doesn't stop the rest of us from being somewhat rational.

All of this bringing me to Team McEwen's season this year.

For one thing they've only played ten events this year. (excepting the WFG Continental Cup) That is the trend for this most modern of eras with our curling teams. They have understood the underlying economics and made their peace with them.

For another the stat that Kevin Martin gave for his team's best record as 125-13 for a season simply doesn't take into account the modern game or the quality of opposition that is felt today when you play the kind of schedule that the top ten play.

All that said. My conclusion.

McEwen entered 10 events of the highest level of difficulty. Including the Manitoba Championship where they made the final.

Their record: 10 events, 9 finals, 7 wins.

Given the quality of the opposition I've got to say in my opinion this is the best season ever in the history of curling. Even with a Slam to go.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-27-15 at 10:16PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-27-15 10:30PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I get why the curlers themselves would value the Brier/Scotties/Olympics higher than any other spiel. Simple enough to deduce as these championships give everything to first and very little to second.

I on the other hand rate wins entirely on the strength of the competition overcome. Call me old fashioned.

So for me at least if Team Simmons were to win the Brier and the World's. They would still be about one million miles behind Team McEwen this year in terms of accomplishment.

Sure Team McEwen would like those titles as well but that is hardly a meaningful metric. Everyone wants to win everything.

For what it's worth I think that the GS commentators have been doing a very good job of highlighting just how great a season this is by Team McEwen.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-27-15 at 10:33PM

03-27-15 10:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well its great that you think that way but we all know the curlers dont. They always speak about peaking for provincials and for the brier or scotties and maybe worlds. to them those are the most important events of the season

team mcewen will walk away from this season knowing they had a great season but still fell short on achieving their ultimate goal.

possibly best cash season ever but they didnt win the events that matter most to the curlers so it cant really be called the best season over all.

03-27-15 11:43PM
nicecontroleasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nicecontroleasy Find more posts by nicecontroleasy Add nicecontroleasy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nicecontroleasy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Best Season Ever

quote:
Originally posted by JB42

Their record: 10 events, 9 finals, 7 wins.

Actually 11 events, 10 finals, 8 wins. The Players has a ton of money on the line and if they can win their 3rd slam of the season it would be tough to question that this isn't a new benchmark even without Brier!

Last edited by nicecontroleasy on 03-27-15 at 11:55PM