Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-23-15 03:27PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

Grand Slam Expansion

I've got goosebumps. Huge news, folks.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...next-2-seasons/

7 Grand slams in 2015-16. 8 in 2016-17.
Much more TV coverage for women's Grand Slam events.
Purses increase to $1.5M in 2015-16, a whopping $2.5M in 2016-17.

Thank you Sportsnet for having such faith in curling and continuing to grow the sport. It's been a huge investment and I'm glad to see that the station sees it as such a worthwhile property to expand it to such new heights.

I hope as well that there will be a wide range of new formats, allowing hot teams on the tour to have more chances to qualify for the events. Maybe award direct berths for winning some of the "B events" on tour.

What great news for curling and for us curling fans who love to watch it all!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-23-15 03:43PM
Gritsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gritsy Click here to Send Gritsy a Private Message Find more posts by Gritsy Add Gritsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gritsy
Harvey Hacksmasher

I hope they do what the did in Brantford (I believe) a couple years ago. Have a 16 team Slam qualify 6, leave the last two spots for another 16 teams to battle it out for. Helps get some newer teams some cash and valuable points to climb into the top 16 for other slams.

01-23-15 03:56PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

Nice to see that competitive curling is on the rise. I agree this is great for the sport getting added coverage. Would be amazing to find a way to get some new blood in the GSOC for sure. It is hard for a new team to climb high enough in the rankings playing on tour when the teams that are in the slams all the time get 4 or 5 times the points. There should be a good mix of elite teams and the teams that are trying to reach that elite level.

01-23-15 03:57PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Awesome news, I hope each and every current player goes back in time and reviews the teams and individuals who boycotted their chance at representing at Briers etc in order to get this off the ground.

Finally, years later this might actually grow into something amzaing.

01-23-15 05:22PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

I really hope that they will also give more chances for lower ranked teams to play theeir way inn. right now only the top 20 teams get in and can earn enough points to get in later. Hopefully they can make events like a 32 triple knock out. Would be great if it was like tennis were the Grand slams are also the biggest in number of particpants.

Last edited by curlo on 01-23-15 at 05:30PM

01-23-15 05:32PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Great news for curling fans. I'm especially happy for the women.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

01-23-15 05:34PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gritsy
I hope they do what the did in Brantford (I believe) a couple years ago. Have a 16 team Slam qualify 6, leave the last two spots for another 16 teams to battle it out for. Helps get some newer teams some cash and valuable points to climb into the top 16 for other slams.

I do like this idea. Have an event the week or 2 weeks before the slam. Have the lower ranked teams play for the remaining 4-6 spots in the slam. This way you can be ranked in the top 40 and still get a chance to play your way into a slam. Some light at the end of a tunnel for those teams that are so close to breaking through. Once you make one slam and play on that ice against the best teams it will only fuel the fire to get back there.

01-23-15 06:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

love this news. and agree with gritsy

01-23-15 11:19PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

In hockey, they have the original six. I've seen the original boycott teams listed in forums here from time to time. In the history of the GSOC now Pinty's GSOC, these are our original six, to be revered. It was a vision, come to pass.

I too see importance in accessible slams for emmerging talent.

01-24-15 02:02AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

I'm certainly happy there will be more curling on TV, but does anyone else think having this many slams cheapens what it means to win a slam? It could be argued that one of the reasons the golf and tennis slams are so big is that there are only four of them to win.

Also, it's interesting to notice that there is now a slam after the Players Championship. It always seemed like the Players was a bit of an afterthought after the Worlds, but still a good way to end the season. I'm not sure two Slams after the Worlds makes a ton of sense. Both fans and players might be out of enthusiasm at this point in the year.

But as I say, I am good with more curling on TV so I don't want to be too negative. Just some thoughts.

01-24-15 06:41AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think this is a dumb idea. Good luck to the GSOC, it will be interesting to see how long it takes before it is scaled back or trashed...don't know if anyone has noticed, but there may be about 10 people in the seats viewing the majority of the draws. I can't believe the sponsors are on board.

4 is the right number, 5 this year seemed a little odd, now 7 and 8? This may seem good for the GSOC, but I am willing to bet that it is going to backfire on more ways then one... Will be interesting to see the CCAs response to this. I can just sense something coming down the pipe.

01-24-15 08:41AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014
I think this is a dumb idea. Good luck to the GSOC, it will be interesting to see how long it takes before it is scaled back or trashed...don't know if anyone has noticed, but there may be about 10 people in the seats viewing the majority of the draws. I can't believe the sponsors are on board.

4 is the right number, 5 this year seemed a little odd, now 7 and 8? This may seem good for the GSOC, but I am willing to bet that it is going to backfire on more ways then one... Will be interesting to see the CCAs response to this. I can just sense something coming down the pipe.

Thinking about it more i agree with you. the grand slams are special and now with 7 or 8 there will basically be one a month. Get rid of the stupid elite 8 thing and replace it with something else. 5 i think is fine, maybe even 6 but 7 or 8 is to much.

01-24-15 12:41PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

How is this not good for the game? The comparison to golf and tennis is apples and pears imo. It's about growing the sport, making teams better (and therefore the game), and giving more incentive for fringe teams to get better. More opportunities to play against the best and for more money seems like a no brainer in this pursuit.

And do people really think that butts in the seats are what drives sponsors decisions? Clearly not. Maybe this all gets scaled back one day but I applaud the attempt to push the game forward.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

01-25-15 04:39PM
krisblonski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for krisblonski Click here to Send krisblonski a Private Message Find more posts by krisblonski Add krisblonski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krisblonski
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014

These events are made for TV. It's about the eyeballs, not the butts.

This is just another step towards a full blown pro tour. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Honestly the only thing I would personally adjust is make the number of Men and Women's events equal.

01-25-15 05:33PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

I just wonder if they should all be "slams".

01-25-15 08:43PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Is this another step in the wcts march to take over olympic and world qualifying from the CCA ? Or is the next step declaring the slam champ, the brier winner? Would save having to hold a brier or scotties.

01-25-15 09:19PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

My only concern is the lack of sponsors/funding for second and third tier events... and how this might pull more sponsors to those top tier events and teams and away from those other events.

This great for the top tier teams (and the ones on the fringe or working their way up), but the second and third tier teams are lacking for sponsors and spiels... and I don't see this helping.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Sportsnet has done a good thing by expanding the Slams, but I hope this translates to some trickle down for those other events.

Last edited by JustAnotherHack on 01-25-15 at 09:27PM

01-26-15 08:18AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Agree

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I think at most 4 or 5 should be SLAMS or it takes away the prestige of winning one. Love the idea of more big cash spiels though. Maybe call them WCT Shootouts. I'd also love to see some of the smaller spiels possibly used as qualifiers for these 7. Give some of the teams unable to travel or spend thousands to gain entry, give them a chance to possibly take the next step.

01-26-15 12:40PM
curling gezzer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curling gezzer Click here to Send curling gezzer a Private Message Find more posts by curling gezzer Add curling gezzer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curling gezzer
Knee-Slider

Grand Slam great, let all the elite players have their games, open residency (does seem to matter to some away)what ever rule changes they want. Let the poor (lowly) club players have their OCA playdowns with not byes, everyone is equal, because the present system isn't.

Last edited by curling gezzer on 01-26-15 at 12:43PM

01-26-15 03:37PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curling gezzer
Grand Slam great, let all the elite players have their games, open residency (does seem to matter to some away)what ever rule changes they want. Let the poor (lowly) club players have their OCA playdowns with not byes, everyone is equal, because the present system isn't.

Geezer, just wondering...what happens to the "lowly" winners of the provincial playdowns?

01-26-15 04:07PM
newbroom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newbroom Click here to Send newbroom a Private Message Find more posts by newbroom Add newbroom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newbroom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Don't get me wrong here, I love the slams and think they are great for Curling, however as you all know these events don't run by themselves. Something that is not mentioned here relating to the locations that host the Slams, what costs/risks are involved for a town/club to put on an event and what kind of return could the hard working Committee & Volunteers expect. Naturally the local restaurants & hotels may benefit, depending on the crowd. In addition are there benefits to Local Charities?

01-26-15 04:51PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The traditional definition of "Grand Slam" implies the number four-it originates with baseball in which a "Grand Slam" home run drives in 4 players (in case anybody has never cared about baseball).
Golf's "Grand Slam" includes one tournament in Great Britain.
Rather than simply increase the number of "Grand Slam" events, IMHO the WCF would be better advised to try to give some real meaning to the "W" part of the name-have one of the Grand Slams in "The Homeland" and another in the US.

There aren't many new clubs being built in this country-it's time to reach beyond our boundaries.

01-26-15 06:14PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

The original 4 slams should be renamed to majors like golf. They should also make a juniors tour like the web.com tour to develop the younger talent before they move on to the bigger stage. The grand slam of curling must be doing well for sportsnet and its great to see curling moving closer to a professional sport at least in Canada. The next step would be including events in the US, Asia and the curling champions tour in Europe but would they be any where near as popular. Rogers Sportsnet has done a great job ever since taking over the slams which were pretty much dead to having larger prize money, bigger sponsors and more events and tv coverage.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 01-26-15 at 06:47PM

01-27-15 01:45AM
dwenzek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dwenzek Click here to Send dwenzek a Private Message Find more posts by dwenzek Add dwenzek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwenzek
Harvey Hacksmasher

The best way to build the slams is local support. Look at the National in SSM and how packed the crowd was in the final to cheer on the hometown hero. Yorkton also had the hometown hero with Steve Laycock, and I believe the stands there were quite full.

Why don't we have a slam in Gatineau and have Jean-Michel Menard play so the locals have a team to cheer for? Maybe a slam in Vernon and have the town cheer for Cotter? Hell, have one in Atlantic Canada and have the crowd go crazy for Dacey or Grattan!

Build the local community and help the local curling clubs. More Pro-Am's for both the young and veteran club curlers. Something small for the hosts. It makes the town feel more connected to the teams and want to come out and support them.

01-27-15 09:09AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Rather than simply increase the number of "Grand Slam" events, IMHO the WCF would be better advised to try to give some real meaning to the "W" part of the name-have one of the Grand Slams in "The Homeland" and another in the US.

There aren't many new clubs being built in this country-it's time to reach beyond our boundaries.

The world curling federation has nothing to do with the operations of the grand slams. The WCF is the international governing body which looks after all world championship events, the Olympics and national associations so the W in their name has meaning.

The world curling tour, which the slams are apart of have events in Canada, the US, Europe and even Japan, and the Asian tour is planning more events. I'm pretty sure they have the world covered but would slam events generate any profits outside of Canada? Also where in the press release did it state that the events would be Canada only? Right now your only speculating on the locations.