Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed Doubles Olympic Medals

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-09-15 02:57PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mixed Doubles Olympic Medals

Two news reports published yesterday/today conflict.

Calgary Sun's Daniel Austin writes:

quote:
Some call it a gimmick, but there’s a good chance mixed-doubles curling’s critics will have to grin and bear it when the sport debuts at the Olympics in three-years’ time.

Jeff MacKinnon of Postmedia News differs:

quote:
The WCF makes its pitch [for mixed doubles] this spring at the International Olympic Committee's meetings in Sochi, Russia - site of the 2014 Games - in the hopes medals will be handed out in 2018 in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Who wrong? I think Danny.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-09-15 03:13PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

uhhh, both columnists are actually saying the exact same thing... good chance of olympic participation in 2018.

01-09-15 03:34PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

hope they are both wrong. would much prefer real curling in Olympics

01-09-15 04:42PM
Viich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Viich Click here to Send Viich a Private Message Find more posts by Viich Add Viich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Viich
Harvey Hacksmasher

I hope it's not doubles - Why not real mixed?

To me, doubles is an interesting variation, like a corn-broom only bonspiel, skins, or a points spiel.

01-09-15 05:14PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Mixed Doubles has what the IOC sees as advantages...

1. Fewer athletes...2 per team, rather than 5.
2. Shorter game...6 rock ends, not 8, 8 ends not 10

Combining both of these also leads to 3. a perception that Canada's lead on the World is not as insurmountable as 4 "man" versions would be.

Hate to say it, but also given 4. Male/Female athlete equity...it's going to happen...bet money on it.

01-09-15 05:18PM
Keaner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keaner Click here to Send Keaner a Private Message Find more posts by Keaner Add Keaner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner
Harvey Hacksmasher

The WCF plan is to get Mixed Doubles in and then turn their focus to getting Mixed in. The idea being that the IOC sees the fact that Mixed Doubles is in countries that don't typically field curling teams. One of the criteria for sports chosen is how many nations compete in it.

With the Canadian Mixed now leading to a World Championship, the WCF is beginning to make it's case for that as well.

3 disciplines in the Olympics for Curling can only do great things for the sport. Love it or hate it Mixed Doubles is here to stay.

01-09-15 10:46PM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
uhhh, both columnists are actually saying the exact same thing... good chance of olympic participation in 2018.

uhhh, no dude.

First guy says it's a done deal and critics will just have to deal with it come 2018.

Second guy says the WCF is going to pitch the idea to the IOC -- at which point the IOC can have a good chuckle, and then invite in the group who will pitch 'Yo-Yo' as an Olympic sport. (Or 'wrestling' -- that used to be an Olympic event too...)

reading tho

01-09-15 11:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

If it does happen and certain others dont i can see some people getting pissed off because compared to other sports waiting to get into the olympics its been around for a pretty short period of time

01-10-15 01:53AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

uhhh, no dude.

First guy says it's a done deal and critics will just have to deal with it come 2018.

Second guy says the WCF is going to pitch the idea to the IOC -- at which point the IOC can have a good chuckle, and then invite in the group who will pitch 'Yo-Yo' as an Olympic sport. (Or 'wrestling' -- that used to be an Olympic event too...)

reading tho

It's not a done deal. Did you read the Sun article in full? It's an awkwardly written lead sentence, but he means "there's a good chance Mixed Doubles will make its debut in 2018." Neither article says it's a for-sure proposition.

context tho

01-10-15 01:17PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

I have watched mixed doubles. I hate it.
I have played mixed doubles. I hate it.
I have coached mixed doubles. I hate it.

No need to have this included in the Olympics. Enough people think that curling is not a sport and boring. No need to add to that number.

01-10-15 01:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I would prefer full mixed getting in first. But if you really think about it this does have a great shot at getting in. Look at the countries who have medaled or won.

01-10-15 03:44PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wat i do wonder is if this happens will it drive more top teams to compete in mixed doubles?

they havent really gone for it at the world championship even with a playdowns in place now. kaitlyn lawes i think participated last year, as did travis fanset but they are the only top players i can think of who did

i also would question how many teams would be allowed to participate. this has a massive field in its world tournament. how much do you whittle that down. i feel that you'd need to allow at least 16 teams entry in and that would take a lot of time to finish. 10 certainly wouldnt be acceptable.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-10-15 at 03:48PM

01-12-15 09:20AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout

It's not a done deal. Did you read the Sun article in full? It's an awkwardly written lead sentence, but he means "there's a good chance Mixed Doubles will make its debut in 2018." Neither article says it's a for-sure proposition.

well actually Mr. doubletakeout I went back to that Sun article just before I was going to storm back here, and you know what? Turns out I didn't read the whole piece.

I'd like to blame an iPod and the Sun's website pop-up ad for missing the second half of that article, but there's a much better than non-zero chance I just didn't scroll down because idiocy...

Do understand tho that I read that first-half of the Sun article about a day before I read the much better written Leader Post story. So for a decent amount of time I thought I'd already missed when the WCF duped the IOC into handing over hardware to the winners of a mixed-doubles competition. I was wrong, but understand I was pretty shaken up

Mixed doubles feels like those three-player cards games created for when you can't find a fourth for bridge. Having attended the worlds of this event, I've watched a thousand deliveries in mixed-doubles and have yet to see someone gracefully stand up and chase their own rock down the ice. Awarding a gold medal to this game opens the door for events like synchronized bobsled and team ice dance.

01-12-15 09:26AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Synchronized...no...but bobsled relay is already in place, and was a medal event in 2014...

Personally, IMO, anything that results in more rocks on ice painted with olympic rings is a good thing...even if it's mixed doubles.

i'd prefer mixed quads, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards yet...maybe for 2022.

That would set the stage for curling for the entire Olympiad, as you could have Womens and Mixed Doubles From the opening Saturday with medal round the middle weekend, and Mens and Mixed Quads kicking off on the middle Sunday and ending on the final Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Doable...the draw schedule would be tight, but particularly without the need to reserve tons of tiebreaker draw slots anymore, it's doable...

01-12-15 11:12AM
deadhead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadhead Click here to Send deadhead a Private Message Find more posts by deadhead Add deadhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadhead
Knee-Slider

Next it will be spin-a-rama judging! Why not trick curling?

But honestly I think if some of the top curlers in Canada would dedicate themselves to mixed doubles the level of skill would go up a lot. In Canada it really never has been big enough for the top players to take it serious.

Last edited by deadhead on 01-12-15 at 11:19AM

01-14-15 10:33AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Mixed Doubles has what the IOC sees as advantages...

1. Fewer athletes...2 per team, rather than 5.
2. Shorter game...6 rock ends, not 8, 8 ends not 10

It wouldn't remove the men's and women's team events as that would be stupid and a big blow to curling. Its just adding a new discipline to curling at the Olympics so curling would have more athletes and more medal opportunities at the games.
But mixed doubles failed to get IOC approval for Sochi and possibly Vancouver.

I think the singles skills competition would be cool for the Olympics in curling. They should do a skills completion for hockey as well.

01-14-15 10:42AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

synchronized bobsled and team ice dance.

Not sure about bobsled but synchronized figure skating exist and has a good chance of being added to the 2018 Olympics.

01-14-15 10:45AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I wasn't referring to it in terms of replacing Men's or Women's (don't even THINK it). I was referring to it in terms of being a new event as opposed to the other new event option of mixed quads.

Comparing those apples, doubles has 40% of the athletes per team (since you can't bring in a spare), and 60% of the time committment per game.

Gonna be hard to beat that in a head to head.

We do, however, have one advantage...the two largest TV markets for the games (US and Canada) both ADORE curling, they ravenously consume every second of coverage...the IOC is, really, run by NBC and the other broadcasters these days (witness all of the new snowboarding and similar events...they were driven by American TV, not by sporting potential).

*IF* the WCF was proposing getting Mixed Doubles or Quads into the Olympics requiring teams be formed from within the Men's and Women's teams, it would go in with no issue whatsoever (practically zero cost, opportunity to increase the amount of curling by 50%...no brainer...). However, that would be a LOT of stress on the athletes, so not likely to happen (we aren't figure skaters who can just rip off another runthrough of their short and long program and voila..."Team Skating")

01-14-15 10:50AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I wasn't referring to it in terms of replacing Men's or Women's (don't even THINK it). I was referring to it in terms of being a new event as opposed to the other new event option of mixed quads.

Comparing those apples, doubles has 40% of the athletes per team (since you can't bring in a spare), and 60% of the time committment per game.

Gonna be hard to beat that in a head to head.

We do, however, have one advantage...the two largest TV markets for the games (US and Canada) both ADORE curling, they ravenously consume every second of coverage...the IOC is, really, run by NBC and the other broadcasters these days (witness all of the new snowboarding and similar events...they were driven by American TV, not by sporting potential).

*IF* the WCF was proposing getting Mixed Doubles or Quads into the Olympics requiring teams be formed from within the Men's and Women's teams, it would go in with no issue whatsoever (practically zero cost, opportunity to increase the amount of curling by 50%...no brainer...). However, that would be a LOT of stress on the athletes, so not likely to happen (we aren't figure skaters who can just rip off another runthrough of their short and long program and voila..."Team Skating")

Ok sorry I misunderstood your point. You do make a valid point as mixed doubles would probably be better than quads for the wcf and the ioc.