Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2016 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 23 of 23 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-29-16 01:44PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

We'll be seeing Krista again this year as she qualified for the GSOC season finale Champions Cup with her win at the Colonial Square event.

Looks like it will be an interesting event.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...pions-cup-spot/

Last edited by ellejay on 02-29-16 at 02:30PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-29-16 01:46PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by newbroom

I felt Krista needed to push hard for the Blank in 9...no need to get messy and risk a force.

The risk with the double in 8 is that if she hit the top rock too thick, she could jam, not make the double, and leave Carey a shot for 3. Homan would have probably taken that double on but I don't know that many of the other top ladies teams would have.

02-29-16 01:49PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I find it VERY unbelievable that there are actually people walking the face of the earth, thinking that a FIRST year team, that has just made the final of a Scotties needs some changes. Give your head a shake, then bang it against the wall. My god, they came within 1 point of becoming TEAM CANADA. And you keyboard heroes think they need a change!!!!?????

Last edited by guido on 02-29-16 at 02:16PM

02-29-16 02:15PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
take your pills ... no one is saying anything near what YOU are posting about

Actually, M.I. should get a second opinion on his medication intake.

02-29-16 02:22PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Nice rewards

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

As for the crazy I can't point to much evidence of folks changing championship teams.

OK - a couple come to mind

Homan - replacing Ali K with Courtney
Sweeting - replacing Dana Ferguson her long-time third with Courtney, then bringing Lori Olson Johns aboard
Nedohin - retiring Iskiw and replacing her with someone else before acquiring Nixon on waivers
Jen Jones - replacing Gauthier with Dawn Askin after winning the 2005 Scotties; before that about 6 leads
I guess we could throw in replacing legendary Cathy Overton-Clapham with youngster Kaitlyn Lawes after Cathy O. helped bring 4 STOH titles to the Jones gang.
Lawton - who admittedly hasn't won much since juniors taking Sherry Anderson off the lineup card and replacing her with a young veteran.

Your Homan, Sweeting, and Nedohin examples do not fit the model of a skip "cutting" a player to bring in a replacement. Ali K. was leaving Homan to move out of country, Sweeting did a lineup shuffle to move Ferguson up a position and bring Courtney into the lineup (I don't recall the specifics of this change and maybe someone else did get cut to facilitate Courtney's insertion into the lineup, but it wasn't Ferguson), and Nedohin to not "retire Iskiw" but just the opposite in that Iskiw retired or at least wanted a break from competitive curling.

Your two examples that would be akin to McCarville "cutting" a serviceable second and replacing them with someone else would be J. Jones releasing both Gauthier and Overton-Clapham or with Lawton releasing Anderson.

Teams are sometimes forced to change lineups because someone on the team decides to move on; other times, teams decide to dispatch a specific player on the team. I seriously doubt that McCarville will be undergoing any lineup change as a result of a second place finish in Canada....

02-29-16 02:30PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Really?! You find it hard to cheer her just because of her voice?

CurlingZone has a deeply troubled relationship with women's curling.

Once you realize that, so much of what gets written here becomes easier to understand.

02-29-16 03:03PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Carey's 5th player at worlds

quote:
Should Team Carey just bring in their current 5th player to the worlds in Swift Current (aka Speedy Creek) or

bring in a super-fifth

ex.

Rachel Homan
Emma Miskew
Kaitlyn Lawes
Local faves Jolene Campbell or Stephanie Schmidt

Miskew would be the most versatile choice amongst the super-group....

Lawes a close 2nd - plus Lawes doesn't have any residual hatred of Carey or her teammates - well-respected, super positive force!

Rachel is intense and would be a great choice, too. But she's mainly a skip. Chances are they'd need a 3rd as Amy is prone to come down with colds and flu.

Don't think they know that much about Campbell or Schmidt.

My Pal Val's 3rd player also a solid team player!

Posts like these are why most people don't believe you've curled 1 end of competitive curling in your existence.

You don't break up the chemistry, the cohesion of a team after arguably their greatest victory of their career. That's an asinine suggestion. Most 5th are not needed 99 out of a 100 times. So its not important if they can make a run double takeout. What you do need, is a good teammate, and most importantly a good friend off the ice.

The people you list are alpha dogs. You're gonna ask Rachel Homan to go fill up the water bottles when she probably thinks she should be out there throwing skip stones?

This is how sports works. Manitoba Legend do you think The Golden State warriors are gonna go undefeated until the finals then decide to switch coaches? Or switch up the lineup? No of course not. Manitoba Legend do you think Jordan Spieth is gonna use a Titliest driver the first 3 rounds of the Masters but then on sunday, with a one stroke lead switch to a Callaway because it goes 5 yards further?? No of course not.

And i could not imagine Chelsea and her team being foolish enough to take up your suggestion.

02-29-16 03:04PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Team McCarville.. looking forward..

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I guess McCarville will need to evaluate the team and make any decisions during the off season..but for sure she will keep Lilly and I guess if Lorraine Lang continues as coach, she will be keeping Potts!

The Langs have been deeply connected to this Team since Krista (nee Scharf)
won the 2006 all-ON title with Lorraine at Lead.
Cant see any reason they would change that dynamic..

They are curling-smart enough to know if Ashley has on-going issues ..
why not call in a Sports Psychologist ( or High-Performance coach)...?

Team NO was the second youngest Team in this STOH..
with at least 3.. A+ curlers.. and a scratch-your-head ..second....

02-29-16 03:13PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice rewards

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong

Your Homan, Sweeting, and Nedohin examples do not fit the model of a skip "cutting" a player to bring in a replacement. Ali K. was leaving Homan to move out of country, Sweeting did a lineup shuffle to move Ferguson up a position and bring Courtney into the lineup (I don't recall the specifics of this change and maybe someone else did get cut to facilitate Courtney's insertion into the lineup, but it wasn't Ferguson), and Nedohin to not "retire Iskiw" but just the opposite in that Iskiw retired or at least wanted a break from competitive curling.

Your two examples that would be akin to McCarville "cutting" a serviceable second and replacing them with someone else would be J. Jones releasing both Gauthier and Overton-Clapham or with Lawton releasing Anderson.

Teams are sometimes forced to change lineups because someone on the team decides to move on; other times, teams decide to dispatch a specific player on the team. I seriously doubt that McCarville will be undergoing any lineup change as a result of a second place finish in Canada....

You nailed it, if anything the 2nd place finish probably instilled a ton of confidence in them and hopefully means we will see more of them on the tour.

02-29-16 03:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Really?! You find it hard to cheer her just because of her voice? As other's have mentioned, she was a rock for Carey and I found her very easy to cheer for.

Her high pitched voice she was born with, I find it hard to fault something she has no control over.

why is that such a hard thing to grasp. many people find it hard to cheer for maria sharapova or victoria azarenka for example because of their grunting.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-29-16 at 04:09PM

02-29-16 03:55PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Re: Nice rewards

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Ashley may be used to giving her opinion from her old days at Vice..but yes, she will have to get used to keeping her mouth shut. I guess McCarville will need to evaluate the team and make any decisions during the off season..but for sure she will keep Lilly and I guess if Lorraine Lang continues as coach, she will be keeping Potts!

McCarville is 42-11 on the season. They came a couple of shots away from winning a Canadian title.

Something tells me they have their thing sorted out. Not all teams function the same with way a quiet front end.

It's ridiculous to make comments like this with them having had success all season long and now when we get to see them on TV, it's suggested what they're doing is wrong?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-29-16 03:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

as far as northern ontario goes they dont need to be making any changes. this team made the final in 6 of 7 events they played in this year and won 5 of those. they got to the scotties final.thats extremely impressive for a team in its first year together.i cant think of many first year season together for any team as successful as this

this team has a great future together and i dont see any changes coming any time soon.

ashley is fine.her comments dont seem to bother krista at all and krista calls the shots she wants to call.

02-29-16 06:23PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Final word on attendance

Total for the week is 36,854 for an average of 1,755 per draw or just about half full per draw. Not good. One can talk about the economy being sour, but the fact is that people voted with their feet. In any event that is half attended, there is only one reason: people do not feel the event is worth the price of the ticket. I don't know who sets ticket prices, but clearly the buying public felt the tickets were too high for what was being offered. Must be demoralizing for our best curlers to play to so many empty seats

02-29-16 06:54PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I was only able to watch the last couple of games due to travel, but I was really impressed by the quality of play in the final particularly. Both teams put on a great show.

Krista's team is young and it will be interesting to see how they progress moving forward. I hope they can build on this result and start to play more tour events. The only way they'll get to the next level is to play against the best teams as much as possible. I love McCarville's demeanor and Kendra Lilly looks like a potential star in the making. Love the brushing!

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-29-16 07:44PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

McCarville as impressive as usual. I just don't know if more competitions would necessarily help. Also they have lives outside of curling and traveling to events from Thunder Bay and Sudbury not that easy. Probably a schedule like this year with maybe Canada Cup (if they get in) or a slam or two would be enough. They don't need any changes. Also I think too many are jumping off the Jones bandwagon. They are still very good and one shot away from the final where they would have had a good chancee. Everyone gunning for them and still 9 and 2.

02-29-16 08:56PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Final word on attendance

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frozencanuck
Total for the week is 36,854 for an average of 1,755 per draw or just about half full per draw. Not good. One can talk about the economy being sour, but the fact is that people voted with their feet. In any event that is half attended, there is only one reason: people do not feel the event is worth the price of the ticket. I don't know who sets ticket prices, but clearly the buying public felt the tickets were too high for what was being offered. Must be demoralizing for our best curlers to play to so many empty seats

No one expected great attendance in Montreal but GP did just as well given their population base.
For the most part expenses dictate ticket prices and reducing ticket prices even by 20% means you need 20% more attendance. Would this have happened? What was the last host city to hit 80000?

02-29-16 09:30PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Final word on attendance

quote:
[i]Originally posted by decade

No one expected great attendance in Montreal but GP did just as well given their population base.
For the most part expenses dictate ticket prices and reducing ticket prices even by 20% means you need 20% more attendance. Would this have happened? What was the last host city to hit 80000? [/B]

red deer 2012

03-01-16 03:26PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by alex
McCarville as impressive as usual. I just don't know if more competitions would necessarily help. Also they have lives outside of curling and traveling to events from Thunder Bay and Sudbury not that easy. Probably a schedule like this year with maybe Canada Cup (if they get in) or a slam or two would be enough. They don't need any changes. Also I think too many are jumping off the Jones bandwagon. They are still very good and one shot away from the final where they would have had a good chancee. Everyone gunning for them and still 9 and 2.

I understand about having lives outside of curling, but if you want to be considered among the best you have to test your mettle against them as much as possible. This team has the raw ability to be a consistent top 5 in the world, so I hope they can be more aggressive with their events moving forward and give themselves every opportunity to make that happen. Pressure makes diamonds.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 03-01-16 at 03:30PM

03-01-16 03:37PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

That said - perhaps 30,000+ is not bad considering two games a draw were televised on TSN

Agree, television coverage and aging fans have killed attendance at most venues, (Vegas is the exception)

03-01-16 05:44PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Attendance

It is about optics. TV viewers across the country see a half full stadium and it reflects badly on the sport. NASCAR is pulling out seats so their venues look full. NHL simply lies about attendance so that people won't notice how badly many southern teams do at filling their seats. Promoters know that a half full venue gets people saying "I guess it is not a very good show" . It comes down simply to pricing tickets to fill seats, and filling seats should be the goal.

03-01-16 05:51PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Seats along the side are the worst for viewing-and a lot of folks never leave the "Brier Patch".

03-01-16 09:45PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Einarson

What a great story. This came across my facebook tonight, but I see it is also posted on Curling Canada facebook.

MUST READ - Copied

This year, The Scotties Tournament of Hearts came to our town. I was excited because I had never seen live curling before, and this is the national championship. I, like a lot of us can remember curling on tv as a child and as I got a bit older, I was fortunate enough to be able to cheer for a childhood friend of mine who plays for team NL at the Brier. Needless to say, curling has found a place in my heart.

So when The Scotties came to us, I wanted nothing more than to experience it for the first time together with my 19 month old daughter, so it could find a place in her heart.
Saturday afternoon we donned our yellow shirts in support of the home team and headed off to make a few memories. And after some cheering and clapping, snacks, a sticker party, a few selfies and a playoff game that came down to the last rock, we felt like we had achieved our goal of having a memorable time and it was time to go home. Our team didn't win, but it was about more than that.

But what happened next, we couldn't have prepared for. You see, as we were leaving, team MB were in the lobby trying to shake off their toughest loss of the year. And amidst all the tears, emotion and heartache, Kerri Einarson, the skip for team MB saw my daughter and made a gesture that speaks to the essence of sport and life. At a time when she probably felt like curling up into a ball and hiding under a rock, she felt compelled in her heart of hearts to give my daughter her jersey. Unbelievable. Not only that, but the whole team signed it and found the strength amongst themselves to muster up some smiles for a photo that my little girl can look back on with such fondness.

So from the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank Kerri Einarson and team MB for turning a good day into a great day and for cementing a place for The Scotties Tournament of Hearts in my daughters heart. You are all role models, class acts and wonderful people. And that is what it is all about.
Truly,
Greg and Ella Jane Roberts

03-02-16 12:47PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Al Hackner approves...

quote:
Two-time world curling champion Al Hackner showed up at the Fort William Curling Club
in Thunder Bay to watch the televised final game of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts. (Heather Kitching/CBC)

Hackner called McCarville "a great rock thrower," who also calls a very good game and is a "cool customer."

"Can you imagine that last year she wasn't curling at all?
And to go from that to the final of the Canadian championship is quite a jump," he said.