Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-01-17 04:22PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i actually think its good these upsets. happen. to be it just shows the depth of the womens game. that , if the top teams arent at their best then there are teams there ready and able to take advantage.

the facts that the womens side is more even is what makes it more interesting to watch for me

the teams that won, with the exception of saskatchewan and new brunswick have all been there before and the skips of those 2 provinces were successful juniors who've been around for a long time.

its not a weak field just because those bg names arent there

at the brier were already getting the usual cast there. im crossing my fingers we see some surprise winners. some first timers maybe

Last edited by misty1 on 02-01-17 at 04:48PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-01-17 10:12PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I don't think a 2nd loss affects Rachel that badly - whether she comes in #1 or #2 doesn't matter that much. But a 3rd loss could really prevent her from having a chance to slither into St. Caths.

Coming in #1 is a huge advantage, puts the team straight into finals. 2 plays 3 in the semi. No page playoff for the ladies as it is only eight team round robin.

02-02-17 09:37AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

True dat - but frankly there's only 3 Ontario teams that could do an adequate job repping the province at STOH.

Homan, Harrison & Flaxey. . . . . and I have some doubts about what Flaxey would do at nationals!

Sherry M has a good team with tons of veteran experience but I see her now as an outsider who needs to rely on a top opponent crashing vs. winning games on her own.

Having to go thru someone like Flaxey or Middaugh shouldn't deter Homan if Harrison hangs onto #1.

If Homan restores her normal level of game she should be able to get by Harrison in Ontario final. If Harrison curls her normally solid game and Homan is off, even slightly off Jacquie Harrison goes to the Scots.

Well said, Flaxey seems up and down...she lost to a lower ranked team yesterday. While I like Sherri, I am not sure of her chances anymore. I do hope Homan picks it up, when they are on they are brilliant.

At the Scotties, of the current qualified teams...the only team with a chance at Worlds is Englot IMO - she has played overseas and seems to have that mental toughness you need against a lot of these world teams.

Just a thought, with some teams (Jones, Homan) now living in different parts of the country - I wonder if this has affected them in any way? Not getting together as often to practice. Michelle Englot relocated to Winnipeg I believe...which is a smart thing to do. Easier to get together for practice and team meetings.

02-02-17 09:45AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Well said, Flaxey seems up and down...she lost to a lower ranked team yesterday. While I like Sherri, I am not sure of her chances anymore. I do hope Homan picks it up, when they are on they are brilliant.

At the Scotties, of the current qualified teams...the only team with a chance at Worlds is Englot IMO - she has played overseas and seems to have that mental toughness you need against a lot of these world teams.

Just a thought, with some teams (Jones, Homan) now living in different parts of the country - I wonder if this has affected them in any way? Not getting together as often to practice. Michelle Englot relocated to Winnipeg I believe...which is a smart thing to do. Easier to get together for practice and team meetings.

At the scotties, of the current qualified teams...the only team with a chance at worlds is Englot

i'd disagree. think mccarville would do really good and shannon and chelsey would also have strong performances. whether or not any of them would win..krista would probably be the best shot. everyone else i mentioned would probably be getting bronze or maybe silver

02-02-17 10:08AM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

True dat - but frankly there's only 3 Ontario teams that could do an adequate job repping the province at STOH.

Homan, Harrison & Flaxey. . . . . and I have some doubts about what Flaxey would do at nationals!

Sherry M has a good team with tons of veteran experience but I see her now as an outsider who needs to rely on a top opponent crashing vs. winning games on her own.

Having to go thru someone like Flaxey or Middaugh shouldn't deter Homan if Harrison hangs onto #1.

If Homan restores her normal level of game she should be able to get by Harrison in Ontario final. If Harrison curls her normally solid game and Homan is off, even slightly off Jacquie Harrison goes to the Scots.

Flaxey won a grand slam event this year and has qualified for the playoffs in all but one of the other slams this season. She is 3rd on the CTRS this year behind Jones and Homan and currently ranked 7th in the world. Based on the current Scotties field Flaxey should be considered a contender if they make it.

02-02-17 10:50AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by SooCurler

Flaxey won a grand slam event this year and has qualified for the playoffs in all but one of the other slams this season. She is 3rd on the CTRS this year behind Jones and Homan and currently ranked 7th in the world. Based on the current Scotties field Flaxey should be considered a contender if they make it.

Exactly. I would rank Flaxey way above Harrison in any Scotties field or World Championship and would think she would do pretty well at either (better than Harrison anyways).

Best thing about Harrison is her three game winning streak against Homan. The longer that goes the worse it gets for Homan.

02-03-17 12:08PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

harrison i think could do okay. given the teams there she might actually be able to do quite well. it all depends on how the nerves of being there for the first time affected her and how she handled that.

i could see her going 5-6 at worst in this field and around 8-3 at best.

the field is really even this year, even more so than last year.

mccarville would be the hot favorite should homan fail to get there. odds makers would likely make carey the 2nd favorite and then you'd have this logjam of teams fighting for the last 2 spots.

if homan gets out of ontario she would be the heavy favorite but it woudlnt change much else. mccarville would be second favorite and carey third. darkhorse pick is definitely alberta and if that team is on then they should be the 4th team to make the playoffs. if they arent then there are teams like belisle out of quebec , mallet out of british columbia and macphee out of prince edward island that could all get in there. and then there's the unknown factors of saskatchewan and new brunswick. you might like galusha's chances of making the playoffs for the first time if she gets out of qualifying too.

so , podium predictions:

without homan:

gold - northern ontario
silver - alberta
bronze - prince edward island (juggling between them, ontario and canada)

with homan:

gold - ontario
silver - northern ontario
bronze - alberta ( again, juggling between them, ontario, canada and prince edward island)

also taking galusha to do pretty good and either lose in tiebreakers or just miss playoffs if she qualifies

Last edited by misty1 on 02-03-17 at 12:11PM

02-05-17 03:24PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

homan in for ontario to complete the field

02-05-17 04:23PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
homan in for ontario to complete the field

Big win for Rachel with haunting nightmares of finals lost in the past. Should definitely go into St.Catharines as favorites now, plus with the home crowd behind them they will be tough to beat.

02-05-17 05:43PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Casey wins in Saskatchewan in a shockingly one sided final over laycock.

02-05-17 08:20PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

howard out of ontario. not really sure what to expect. last year was shocking how poorly he did . i wouldnt count on that kind of performance again but we'll see

im glad casey got out of saskatchewan. nothing against laycock at all but , again its just nice to see some different teams winning .

so far the teams we know at the brier/re qualifier:

jamie koe
kevin koe
brad gushue
glenn howard
adam casey
jamie murphy
eddie mackenzie

not sure about who the yukon and nunavut are sending

02-05-17 08:32PM
Maritime99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maritime99 Click here to Send Maritime99 a Private Message Find more posts by Maritime99 Add Maritime99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maritime99
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yukon - Craig Kochan
Nunavut - Jim Nix

02-05-17 08:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Hope you're not purposely excluding Englot from your picks. At worse, she deserves Top 6 Billing!

Right now - factoring in CC Carey falling on her face at the Skins I'd have the pick list as follows:

1. Rowdy Rachel Homan - 51% faves to snatch the hearts
2. Krista "Cyborg" McCarville - 17%
3. Michelle "Cupcake" Englot - 11%
4. Shannon 'The Undertaker' Kleibrink - 10%
5. 'Money' Penny Barker - 3%
6. Marla Mallet - 1%

That leaves room for Chelsea Carey & the balance of the field @ 7%

no, and i cant believe i forgot about manitoba. i have been having those brain farts more and more in ly life lately..and im only 29 so its kind of worrying that those memory lapses are happening already .

02-05-17 08:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Maritime99
Yukon - Craig Kochan
Nunavut - Jim Nix

thank you for that information.

02-06-17 09:26PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Wonder who Glenn will take as alternate to the brief this year.perhaps Adam Spencer or , since they took Joey Hart las t year maybe they will take his other son this year

02-07-17 08:22AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It was worth it for Kelsey Roque to skip the Alberta playdowns...she and her team beat two very strong teams (Sweden and Russia) with win gold at the Winter Universiade. Congratulations Ladies!

02-08-17 08:27AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

manitoba,northern ontario, british columbia, alberta and new brunswick all start today.

what i'll be watching for:

will we get the usual guys out of these provinces or will we get a surprise winner like saskatchewan? i hope for at least 1 or maybe 2 surprise champions.

Alberta is the most wide open. Thomas and Bottcher are the favorites for sure but they arent dominant the way koe or martin were so there is more opportunity for an unexpected champion like lizmore or appelman to get through. one question though: where the hell is brock virtue?

Tyler tardi has had a great year. he's beaten some of the top mens teams in BC already including cotter so what can he do here?

manitoba will probably come down to mcewen v.s carruthers but i wouldnt mind seeing someone else get through. daley peters has had deep runs the last couple of years and dunstone has had a solid year . calvert has been pretty quiet . but those 3 along with lyburn, gunnlaugson are probably the ones to watch outside the big 2

new brunswick is just totally wide open. if your hoping for youth to prevail then support josh barry , who's teamed up with rene comeau

brad jacobs should have his way in northern ontario..similar to the time gushue has in newfoundland. young team to watch in tanner horgan, he could be there in the playoffs. dylan johnston and al hackner are the other 2 teams that could go deep

Last edited by misty1 on 02-08-17 at 08:40AM

02-08-17 09:56AM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

I have a feeling it's going to be Carruthers that comes out on top. Honestly can't count out McEwen but Reid has had a really good year. When he first started skipping his own rink I didn't think it would work, but he skips a great game and has a solid team. Would like to see either one as the Manitoba representative as I think they could do well at the Brier.

02-08-17 11:00AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Any online coverage for the Manitoba or Alberta games?

02-08-17 01:04PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by propane_cooker
I have a feeling it's going to be Carruthers that comes out on top. Honestly can't count out McEwen but Reid has had a really good year. When he first started skipping his own rink I didn't think it would work, but he skips a great game and has a solid team. Would like to see either one as the Manitoba representative as I think they could do well at the Brier.

Sunday on sportsnet - semi's and finals for both Alberta and Manitoba.

02-08-17 01:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

shaw tv will also be covering the mens playdowns in BC both page playoffs , the semis and the final

channel 9 for those in winnipeg

02-09-17 01:04PM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hello everyone!! Well, as usually happens around this time of year, I'm back to follow the playdowns that are occurring outside of my home province. And wow, has this been an entertaining thread!! Either last year or the year before, I vowed to never read another of Manitoba Legend's rambling, self-serving, self-contradicting, narcissistic, and usually bonehead posts ever again, and judging by some of your responses to his posts, I'm glad that I've seen that vow through!! And if that offends anyone then I apologize, as I may not be of the "ilk", and "high moral character" of some others on this site!! No, rotating skips is not cheating, and if Kleibrink and Nedohin choose to rotate, then, as has already been stated (but ignored) here, it ain't the first time it's happened!!

My predictions:
Scotties: Homan
Brier: Koe

I predict that these 2 teams will finish either first, last, or somewhere in between. Let's hope for some great curling!!

GC

Last edited by GreatCanadian on 02-09-17 at 02:55PM

02-09-17 02:00PM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

All bias's aside, I'm really hoping for Gushue to win the Brier in St John's. It would be a huge story all across Canada, not just NL.

02-09-17 04:27PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by mikey
All bias's aside, I'm really hoping for Gushue to win the Brier in St John's. It would be a huge story all across Canada, not just NL.

Yes, I'd love for Brad to finally do it.

02-09-17 04:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i was pulling for brad last year and, since epping isnt there i will be pulling for him again. i agree it would be a great story . its just seems like its his time , he's waited so long and been so close, especially last year.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-09-17 at 04:44PM