Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

C.Carey to replace H.Nedohin

Heather is stepping down and Carey will take her place as skip. Not sure anyone saw this coming

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-15 06:48PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

Re: C.Carey to replace H.Nedohin

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Heather is stepping down and Carey will take her place as skip. Not sure anyone saw this coming

I cannot see C Carey and Amy Nixon curling together. I wish them luck of course and hopefully it works for them.

Old Post 03-18-15 07:30PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

Chels Carey

Here's some reading material from f/b

For Immediate Release
March 18, 2015

Heather Nedohin to step aside, Chelsea Carey taking over

One of Canada’s most successful women’s curling teams will have a new player calling the shots, beginning with the 2015-16 curling season.

Two-time Canadian champion Heather Nedohin is stepping aside to spend more time with her family and to assist her daughters in their own athletic pursuits. She will continue her role as manager of the Sherwood Park Curling Club which is scheduled to be fully renovated in the spring of 2016.

Replacing her will be former Scotties Tournament of Hearts bronze-medallist Chelsea Carey, who will join third Amy Nixon, second Jocelyn Peterman and lead Laine Peters.

“This was an extremely difficult decision, but one I was ready to make,” said Nedohin. “For 20 years I have had the privilege to compete at an elite level with amazing teammates with complete devotion to the pursuit of Canadian championships. As this team commits to this push towards qualifying for the 2018 Winter Olympics, I will be their biggest fan and cheerleader.”

Nedohin, Peters and Nixon (as the alternate) combined to win the 2012 Scotties Tournament of Hearts in Red Deer before winning bronze at that Year’s Ford World Women’s Championship in Lethbridge. Previously, Nedohin won the Scotties playing third for Cathy King in 1998, and won bronze at that year’s Ford Worlds, as well as skipping Canada to the World Junior Women’s Championship in 1996.

“It’s going to seem strange for us going forward without Heather, and we’ll miss her very much but we completely understand and respect her decision,” said Nixon. “Being able to add a player of Chelsea’s calibre and experience was very fortunate and we’re looking forward to the next chapter of this team and its journey to 2018.”

Carey moved to Alberta from Winnipeg prior to the 2014-15 season, and spent one season playing with Laura Crocker, Taylor McDonald and Jen Gates before parting ways with that team earlier this month.

“I am thrilled and honoured to be asked to join this team. Heather is a proven winner, and a fierce competitor. I’ve have always had so much respect for her talent and successes over the years,” said Carey. “Her stepping back gives me a fantastic opportunity, and I’m excited about the chance to curl with three great players in Amy, Jocelyn and Laine. I know all of us are committed to putting in the time on and off the ice in order to be able to compete at the highest level of curling.”

Old Post 03-18-15 07:37PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, i did not see that coming. im not sure how well they can do ..chelsea and amy dont seem like a good combination

Old Post 03-18-15 07:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: C.Carey to replace H.Nedohin

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I cannot see C Carey and Amy Nixon curling together. I wish them luck of course and hopefully it works for them.

I see fireworks. Should be fun watching them.

Old Post 03-18-15 07:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Didn't see that coming. The chemistry should be interesting - to say the least!!!

Old Post 03-18-15 09:57PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pebbles
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yikes! Both got the shots, but neither "play well with others"

Old Post 03-18-15 11:50PM
pebbles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pebbles Find more posts by pebbles Add pebbles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

How interesting will Alberta be next year? I guess the same as this year, but still, Sweeting, Crocker and Carey. Should be a battle.

Old Post 03-19-15 01:34AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thefish46
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wonder who the coach is!

Old Post 03-19-15 09:16AM
thefish46 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thefish46 Click here to Send thefish46 a Private Message Find more posts by thefish46 Add thefish46 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

*I still think Val is the top queen in Alberta curling.

I thought Carey would factor in stronger last year but obviously had no idea team chemistry was so iffy.

Crockers new team looks dope. Kelsey Rocque is a tremendous acquisition. Right up their with Englot getting Schmidt in Sask'n.

And of course, Carey falling into an established squad has to re-set her as one of the top 3 teams in the oil province.

If Crocker has the savvy to take charge I think her team will fall into place chemistry wise and make a valid challenge for Queen Valerie's crown. Rocque is much younger than Carey and won't assert herself until she earns the right.

Carey and Nixon look like a brouhaha in the making but you never know. Their volatile personalities may cancel each other out and you might have lightning in a bottle?

Old Post 03-19-15 09:58AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richb08
Knee-Slider

Carey's departure from Crocker

Laura Crocker was the weak spot on Chelsea Carey's rink last season and her overall shooting and body posture did not lend itself to a winning curling team. While Carey was painted as the villain, Crocker was the team's downfall. Rocque might be wasting her time there.

Old Post 03-19-15 11:19AM
richb08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richb08 Click here to Send richb08 a Private Message Find more posts by richb08 Add richb08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Carey's departure from Crocker

quote:
Originally posted by richb08
Laura Crocker was the weak spot on Chelsea Carey's rink last season and her overall shooting and body posture did not lend itself to a winning curling team. While Carey was painted as the villain, Crocker was the team's downfall. Rocque might be wasting her time there.

Question. So why didn't they boot Crocker?

Old Post 03-19-15 02:43PM
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

I think the problem with Crocker this year is that she is better at the skip position. Look what she did in the 2012-2013 season with a really young team. Not a lot of tour wins, but a lot of playoff appearances and tour points.

Old Post 03-20-15 09:33PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

What a strange transition for a team over the past two years. Laine Peters is the only remnant of the 2013 Team Nedohin.

Old Post 03-20-15 09:36PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch
What a strange transition for a team over the past two years. Laine Peters is the only remnant of the 2013 Team Nedohin.

I wonder if there's any chance Nedohin, Iskew and Mair get together for playdowns? Probably would have a tough time winning, but still.

Old Post 03-21-15 05:26AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Halsted

Re: Re: Carey's departure from Crocker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Not sure. Maybe Crocker and the other young guns had their eye on a younger player for a while? Or Crocker and Gates bond from past years was too strong to betray, even if Crocker was the weak link.

Us mortals will never know. It's a shame as they were an extremely talented group. Will have to wait for next year's Scotties.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.146.33.4

Old Post 03-23-15 10:45PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
halsted
Knee-Slider

Re: Re: Carey's departure from Crocker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Maybe they will after this year's Alberta Scotties performance...

Old Post 01-24-16 08:16PM
halsted is offline Click Here to See the Profile for halsted Click here to Send halsted a Private Message Find more posts by halsted Add halsted to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

It would appear that this team has meshed very well despite all the scepticizime

Old Post 03-25-16 10:04AM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote