Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2015 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 25 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-14-15 07:42AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

After five ends against Finland we have: dead ice or dead rocks, relatively low shooting percentages, a three point lead for Canada, and an empty arena. It can only be up from here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-14-15 07:54AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Are player stats available anywhere? Thx

03-14-15 08:08AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Are player stats available anywhere? Thx

curlit, which is a great site has them.

http://wwcc.curlit.com/

03-14-15 08:54AM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

Best player for team canada has been the Finland Third

03-14-15 09:01AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, that was ugly . finland had the win set up until jen came along

03-14-15 09:04AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Vic Rauter's, "And Canada escapes with a victory," pretty well sums up that game.

03-14-15 09:25AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah. i dont think that, aside from the end result jenniffer will be happy with any part of that game.

03-14-15 12:23PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
we didnt watch -- probably wont watch many games - time zone

The game is shown again on TSN2 shortly (2 pm Atlantic time)

Jones curled better than the Americans (0-2) and the US skip curled 54% in her second game.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 03-14-15 at 12:25PM

03-14-15 01:32PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well...take pity on the Americans...they aren't our actual National Champions....

03-14-15 04:32PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

curlit, which is a great site has them.

http://wwcc.curlit.com/

Thanks, Misty, for that link.

Wow! Germany beating Sweden with a deuce in an extra end with hammer was unexpected. Ditto taking China to an extra end and losing by only 2 without hammer.

The stats for the first two draws have sorted the teams thus:
80th percentiles: Sweden, Russian, Scotland
70th percentiles: China, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Denmark
60th percentiles: US ahead of Canada(!) then Finland
At 59% : Norway

Early days.

Last edited by Alice on 03-14-15 at 04:38PM

03-14-15 05:17PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Thanks misty for the site.
Interesting - Anna Sloan comes out and curls up an 88% storm her first outing.
Kaitlyn Lawes barely holds her head above water - 60% vs. Finland
Jill Officer even worse - a shade over 50%.

Either Jones was testing her players, the ice was not conducive to their game or she couldn't read ice diddly squat.

Historically, Jones team performances at world events are erratic (all over the place - ie. 35% to 95%)

Officer missed both peels in the 6th the same way..... outside... by a foot..

03-14-15 05:24PM
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Well...take pity on the Americans...they aren't our actual National Champions....

No, Canadian resident Erika Brown won. I guess you need more Canadian residents curling in the US. You have Erika Brown and Heath McCormick, both Canadian residents already.

03-14-15 06:29PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

That was the end where Jones went off her form-chart and tried to skoodle a freeze to the 4-foot; instead of nailing Finland's 2nd shot and conceding a deuce. Jones would still have led 5-4 instead of getting tied and then being life 'n death to eke out a final stone (Finland skip missed) win.

There is nothing wrong with either call, and your knucklehead hindsight analysis is of course useless. There isn't a strategy in the world that works on missed shots.

This site doesn't get much action anymore, primarily because of the crap you litter this forum with, especially for woman's major events.

03-14-15 07:08PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

There is nothing wrong with either call, and your knucklehead hindsight analysis is of course useless. There isn't a strategy in the world that works on missed shots.

This site doesn't get much action anymore, primarily because of the crap you litter this forum with, especially for woman's major events.

Don't you think she should've just hit the open one? I know it's a bit of results based analysis, but when you're up 5-2 I think you should probably concede the deuce there.

03-14-15 08:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

i would have opted for the hit myself. I mean..if you make the draw you force the single but if you miss the draw you give up 3. Where as if you hit the open one the most you will give is 2

Jen was up 3 at that point, i think playing the scoreboard would have been a good idea. you give up 2 and you still have control.

Im sure jen and the team will come out better tomorrow, they have to but my goodness are they fortunate they had finland in the opening draw. i think if that were any other team they would have lost

03-14-15 08:12PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Don't you think she should've just hit the open one? I know it's a bit of results based analysis, but when you're up 5-2 I think you should probably concede the deuce there.

I see either call in similar situations many times a season, it wasn't a clear cut decision. I might agree with you if it was later in the game and/or the hitting in the game was much stronger.

The team seemed confidant in the weight required and how to throw the shot, which is a big aspect of whether it's the better call. If any mistake was made it was that aspect. But hardly worth much debate, and there is no need for exaggerated negativity online when higher reward / higher risk shots fail due to execution.

03-14-15 08:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Germany has been a pleasant surprise in the first 2 games. The biggest difference here is that daniela seems far more inclined to draw than andrea.

they do cash a fair amount in europe. they dont qualify all that often but they are almost always there playing for the chance to at some point

03-14-15 08:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Finland actually looked decent. Only other free spots on the bingo card appear to be Norway and USA - - - although Germany's win over Sweden could be an early mirage!

Even if Jones continues to be a bit out of sorts (they're always exciting anyways) I can't see them finishing any worse than 6-3.

i dont know. germans impressed against a good chinese team. they might be the future of german womens curling.

as i said above they might not qualify often in cash spiels but they almost always give themselves a chance to do so, they get close.

and as far as finland goes..the skip looked decent but the 2nd and 3rd were nothing special. the finish 3rd was a great help to canada

03-14-15 08:28PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Im watching the SWE-JPN game and there is a pretty decent crowd out to support their team. I'm pleasantly surprised

03-14-15 08:30PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

i would have opted for the hit myself. I mean..if you make the draw you force the single but if you miss the draw you give up 3. Where as if you hit the open one the most you will give is 2

Jen was up 3 at that point, i think playing the scoreboard would have been a good idea. you give up 2 and you still have control.

Im sure jen and the team will come out better tomorrow, they have to but my goodness are they fortunate they had finland in the opening draw. i think if that were any other team they would have lost

There is a very real chance you steal if you make the draw. The Finnish skip wasn't very precise or confident at that point, so I'm sure Jones saw it as a chance to effectively end the game early. Even if you miss the draw, you may force your opponent to a much harder throw, and it may only be for two.

A case can be made to try either shot. Jones tends to play well in events where she leans towards aggressive choices, and start losing when she reverts back to a defensive mindset. So this call is promising to me regardless of the result.

03-14-15 08:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

There is a very real chance you steal if you make the draw. The Finnish skip wasn't very precise or confident at that point, so I'm sure Jones saw it as a chance to effectively end the game early. Even if you miss the draw, you may force your opponent to a much harder throw, and it may only be for two.

A case can be made to try either shot. Jones tends to play well in events where she leans towards aggressive choices, and start losing when she reverts back to a defensive mindset. So this call is promising to me regardless of the result.

the finnish skip wasnt very precise but neither was jen and it was a shot which required precision. This is why i would have opted for the open hit but, as you said its over and there's merit to both shots if you make them

anyway. sweden is looking really shaky early on here. if they dont get out of it they may find themselves out of it early

03-14-15 10:56PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Sweden better get it together, at least 1 bad early loss to a new Germany squad(thought Schopp would be there), and now to Japan, but to be fair I think Japan will be tougher to beat at home, next they have Canada, which it does not look good for them right now, so could be 0-3 after today, won't get easier for them tomorrow vs. Russia.

03-14-15 11:00PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, sweden just looks so off right now. its a very real danger they start 0-3 , in fact i predict that they will and their gam3 aginst canada will be over early.

this japanese team is dangerous , i knew that coming in but still i thought sweden would win.

this team has never started slow, they always start at the top of the leader board so we might see what this team has, if they have what it takes to battle back and get into contention or if they just fade away and never come close

03-14-15 11:03PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
yeah, sweden just looks so off right now. its a very real danger they start 0-3 , in fact i predict that they will and their gam3 aginst canada will be over early.

this japanese team is dangerous , i knew that coming in but still i thought sweden would win.

this team has never started slow, they always start at the top of the leader board so we might see what this team has, if they have what it takes to battle back and get into contention or if they just fade away and never come close

Yeah, this Japan does look good, so the fact they won isn't that surprising considering Sweden lost to a supposedly weaker German team, but maybe we thought that was just a one off.

03-14-15 11:11PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

It would be a shock for me if Sweden did not make the playoffs, even though there are a lot of unknown/new possibly good teams, for me the title contenders are them, Canada and Scotland. Even though the Swiss won the gold last year it's not the same team, so I'm not sold on them yet. This new Chinese team is also interesting, guess the Fed got fed up with Bingyu not winning. Other playoff contenders are Japan, Russia of course and Denmark. My teams who will not make it are the US (should have sent Brown instead), Finland, Germany and Norway.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-14-15 at 11:16PM