Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Way too much celebrating!!

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-12-15 01:33PM
UCF is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UCF Click here to Send UCF a Private Message Find more posts by UCF Add UCF to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UCF
Knee-Slider

Way too much celebrating!!

I don't know about these over exagerrated celebrations by the Jacobs team. Am I the only one who saw Middaugh give R. Harnden a shove? Good on him for doing so, I mean chest pumps.......come on. Curling is not the place for this behaviour. Even football has penalties for over celebrating and maybe it's time for the CCA and the WCT to do something. I know I am not the only curler who feels this way however I know that some folks think the Jacobs team reactions and attitude are good for the growth of the sport.

Any thoughts??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-12-15 01:52PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

I actually turned it off after the double so I wouldn't have to watch their celebration. All teams celebrate big shots, including McEwen. But IMO, the Jacobs rink takes it to the extreme at the end of games especially and they're almost disrespectful at times. If they did chest bumps as you suggest, that's quasi-ridiculous as they were dominated throughout the game. They should have been sheepish and wiped their brow, as opposed to 'we're superior' chest bumps. But that's who they are and they won't be changing anytime soon. As for it being good for the sport, poor sportsmanship is never good for any sport.

04-12-15 01:53PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, let them celebrate however they want...I don't find it offensive at all.

04-12-15 02:09PM
brier1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brier1 Click here to Send brier1 a Private Message Find more posts by brier1 Add brier1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brier1
Knee-Slider

If looks could kill , with the shove and the look that Wayne game Harden after the game . I don't think Wayne will be getting any taps on his shoes when his knees are one the ice when they meet again or their might be fireworks .

04-12-15 03:03PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sour grapes on Middaugh's part. If anyone makes a shot like that to win a game, they should be allowed to let loose a bit.

I've seen it happen before and not by the Jacobs team either. The pot shouldn't call the kettle black.

04-12-15 03:14PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i mean...let them celebrate. they REALLY want a grand slam . its the one thing missing on their resume

I guess if i was a fellow competitor on the ice i could see how others might not love seeing that

Last edited by misty1 on 04-12-15 at 03:17PM

04-12-15 03:21PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

First of all, I don't think Wayne actually pushed Harnden. Harnden was chest bumping Jacobs and backed into Wayne, who was trying to exit the sheet. The celebration by the Jacobs squad was over the top. It is getting a little old. If you listened to Kevin and Mike, it wasn't that hard a shot for that level as he had so many ways to make it. Don't get me wrong, it was a good shot, but I think most skips at that level expect to make it.

04-12-15 03:34PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Celebrations are great. Love 'em when it's for something really meaningful like winning a Gold in the Olympics, or winning the Brier/Worlds or maybe even the Player's Championship.

Acting like pricks are not. The Hardens (and Team Jacobs as a whole, but I think Fry and Jacobs are slightly more reserved) are sliding over that line quite a bit these days. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to become a bit of a parody of themselves with the over-the-top celebrations.

A semi-final means you haven't won anything yet... save the hooting and hollering for later. Even if it was a "tough" shot, which really, it wasn't that hard at that level.

I probably would have given the Harden's a bit of tap if they got into my face. Good for Wayne, even if it was "accidental".

(And if I ever EVER catch anyone doing this during a league/club curling game... I will call you out. And you might get more than a tap from me.)

04-12-15 04:16PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

They were outplayed most of the game and very lucky to get the W . For goodness sakes show a little respect and composure.
They have to realize that as Olympic champs they are a role model for kids coming into the game. I'm old school..in my day after being outplayed all game and squeaking out a win we would have tapped the opposition on the bum ( oh sorry that's not cool in this era ) , looked em in the eye and gave them a good handshake. Respect.......I have visions of kids in our junior programs thinking these actions are cool.
So sorry In my opinion they are being as@es.

Two things can happen................One is bad

04-12-15 04:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think people need to cool down here. these guys wear their hearts on their sleeves and like i said they want a grand slam title badly.

they do go overboard at times but they are passionate abiut this game.

04-12-15 04:42PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Exclamation Copy That

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie

Yes, let them celebrate however they want...I don't find it offensive at all.

04-12-15 05:02PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Copy That

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

Yes. let them celebrate. Good luck tonight guys.

04-12-15 05:07PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie
Sour grapes on Middaugh's part. If anyone makes a shot like that to win a game, they should be allowed to let loose a bit.

"a bit" is the key part of your statement.
I use to be a big fan of Jacobs team. I am gradually losing interest in them with every over the top celebration. I can see that when you win the Olympics or the Brier. But a semi-final in a G.S.??? In Jacobs words, come on.

04-12-15 05:19PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question Who Cares?

Why does anyone get affected by how a Team reacts to winning a game..a tournament, a gold, whatever? ..

THEY do all that hard work.. probably Daily..Staying fit..Throwing rocks... working their tails off brushing in games.. spending endless time away from family and friends to compete and work on getting to the top...

Good Athletes celebrating has never and never will
"bother me".. what I don't like is the losers that break brooms, tear off their shirts, punch lockers and throw temper Tantrums

The lack of Support for one of the Top Teams in the world is actually quite amazing....sounds a little jealous....

Oh.. and if you think kids don't go nuts when they win big..
watch a few more of their events..
being joyful is a Good Emotion!!

04-12-15 05:32PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i think people need to cool down here. these guys wear their hearts on their sleeves and like i said they want a grand slam title badly.

they do go overboard at times but they are passionate abiut this game.

Celebrating a win is fine but act like adults............hell maybe Wayner should of given Harnden a nudge in the nards with his knee and make it a full WWF event.

Two things can happen............One is bad

04-12-15 05:41PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Pat Simmons had the best celebration when he won the Brier this year.

04-12-15 05:41PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Considering Wayne had them on the ropes most of the game with a very young team, I didn't see any reason for all the show. They were dammed lucky Wayne was a tad heavy on his last shot or they would have been packing and pulling out their bus tickets.

04-12-15 05:42PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Re: Who Cares?

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Why does anyone get affected by how a Team reacts to winning a game..a tournament, a gold, whatever? ..

THEY do all that hard work.. probably Daily..Staying fit..Throwing rocks... working their tails off brushing in games.. spending endless time away from family and friends to compete and work on getting to the top...

Good Athletes celebrating has never and never will
"bother me".. what I don't like is the losers that break brooms, tear off their shirts, punch lockers and throw temper Tantrums

The lack of Support for one of the Top Teams in the world is actually quite amazing....sounds a little jealous....

Oh.. and if you think kids don't go nuts when they win big..
watch a few more of their events..
being joyful is a Good Emotion!!

It has nothing to do with jealousy. This is a team that whacked the back of another player's knees because they didn't like what he was doing on the ice. Meanwhile they're chest bumping into the opposition before even shaking their hands. Yes, that's incredibly classy. I agree it's the front end who are causing this dislike for Team Jacobs.

There's a big difference between using your emotions during a game to motivate you, and egotistically celebrating a (fluke) win and contacting an opposition player before you have even shook hands. If something like that happened on the football field or in a hockey area, Harnden would have been decked. Middaugh at least had the class to realize curling is supposed to be a gentleman's game.

04-12-15 05:53PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Over thne Top reaction

(1) the tapping of other players for keeping their knees on the ice.. is wrong and should not happen again.. thats in the past.. yet you relate that to this celebration..
(2) Have you actually competed ON the ice against the Jacobs Team?

You, of course have every right to your POV.. but I dont think many Men.. would be so put off by "chest bumps"..
I remember in days gone by when Wayne Middaugh was not so much of a "gentleman in curling" .. like fingering the crowd...( just sayin)

I like the Jacobs Team.. so I guess we shall see what happens tonight in the Men's Final..

Cheers

04-12-15 06:42PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

You don't have to curl against Team Jacobs to realize they have little to no thought for the team that has just lost as they do their alpha celebrations. If they congratulated the other team first and then went into their routine, fine, do whatever you want. But as long as they do idiotic chest bumps, bumping into opposition players before they have even shaken hands, then in my mind they lack class. And i imagine that most competitive curlers would agree.

04-12-15 06:49PM
jspickle45 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jspickle45 Click here to Send jspickle45 a Private Message Find more posts by jspickle45 Add jspickle45 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jspickle45
Knee-Slider

that celebration was over the top considering middaughs miss gave them the game,like going crazy in golf after a guy misses a putt for you to win

04-12-15 06:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end
You don't have to curl against Team Jacobs to realize they have little to no thought for the team that has just lost as they do their alpha celebrations. If they congratulated the other team first and then went into their routine, fine, do whatever you want. But as long as they do idiotic chest bumps, bumping into opposition players before they have even shaken hands, then in my mind they lack class. And i imagine that most competitive curlers would agree.

id imagine you are wrong

04-12-15 07:21PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
If Wayne wanted to terminate such celebrations he might be advised to make his last rock (fairly simple angle freeze to side 4) and stop Team Jacobs in their tracks.

Maybe Wayne should play a few more games a year rather than being airlifted in when some kid has to write an exam and the college won't allow him to postpone it a day or two.

I believe it was a graduation - don't think a university will postpone a graduation for one curler to play a G.S. tie breaker.

Think before you speak, ya old fart!

04-12-15 07:21PM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

id imagine you are wrong

This thread actually made me register. It bothers me that people think it is acceptable for curlers to behave the way the Jacobs team did and do.

Unlike pretty much everyone here I HAVE played against Jacobs and the Harndens even before they made the jump to the national scene. They behaved like spoiled children even then. Imagine all the same screaming, swearing and broom slamming you see from them at the Brier or a GSC event, but during a Tuesday night men's league.

Unfortunately the Soo, being a small town, have idolized these man children to the point of stupidity and they get away with far too much up here and no one is willing to call them on it. Pat Simmons, winning the Brier is a prime example of how to celebrate. Mike McEwen defeating Epping, that is an example of winning graciously. What the Jacobs rink do is embarrassing for Sault Ste. Marie and curling.

04-12-15 07:32PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Sounds like the team is the Bubba Watson of curling...I have to agree a bit over the top for a SF win