Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-07-17 07:47PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by courtneyshaw

For those of us who missed the game against the Dutch, what happened?

APPARENTLY (THe game was geoblocked to me, so I haven't actually seen the game), on a stone at the end, Tyler started to sweep a Netherlands stone before it touched the T line.

Note that noone involved thinks his sweeping made a significant difference in the result of the stone.

Various Canadians (by and in large the same ones who give Shuster sh&t for correctly calling the stone out of play rule last year...basically, the ones who will forgive a Canadian stabbing someone on the ice, but think an insignificant rules violation by someone from another country should result in drawing and quartering...think that somehow this negates the entire game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-07-17 07:54PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
[B]

APPARENTLY (THe game was geoblocked to me, so I haven't actually seen the game), on a stone at the end, Tyler started to sweep a Netherlands stone before it touched the T line.

Actually the rock was about a foot and a half and moving sideways not towards the T-line and he swept it the entire time it was in motion until it stopped, not a little oops.

04-07-17 08:18PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13

Actually the rock was about a foot and a half and moving sideways not towards the T-line and he swept it the entire time it was in motion until it stopped, not a little oops. [/B]

We get it, you don't like them. No one here agrees with you and we are more interested in enjoying the rest of this event than debating this. It sounds like you just need to get over it or go start your own crybaby thread on the issue and pretend that they are the only team history to ever make a mistake.

Excuse me while I go channel Bobby LaBonte.

04-08-17 08:54AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Verifying for today's game...

2 PM *MOUNTAIN* time, which is 4 Eastern, and on Universal HD.

Is that correct?

04-08-17 10:09AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:

Is that correct?

I believe so, yes.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-09-17 12:10AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Is that correct?

Vic said 2pm eastern, TSN says 3pm eastern

04-09-17 09:44AM
PeelOfShame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PeelOfShame Click here to Send PeelOfShame a Private Message Find more posts by PeelOfShame Add PeelOfShame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeelOfShame
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Vic said 2pm eastern, TSN says 3pm eastern

Universal HD's online schedule shows 2 PM for the bronze medal match too. (Which matches with the current schedule here on the site showing noon MT for it.)

04-09-17 04:03PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Matt Hamilton posed a good question at the end of the 7th end. Why?

04-09-17 04:12PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

That's Shuster...

04-09-17 04:20PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

USA/ Suise

Too many things could go wrong with that shot. Bad decision. This team needs someone to talk them out of silly moves. Shame.

04-09-17 05:57PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

They had one, gotta listen sometimes

04-09-17 06:41PM
corn broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corn broom Click here to Send corn broom a Private Message Find more posts by corn broom Add corn broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corn broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

Probably should have called time out, but it is tough to overrule the Skip.

So looking at the entire body of work, team USA had a pretty good week but since they bronzed last year, this effort will be criticized. There is certainly room for improvement in certain areas and I am going to bring up one that I am a little concerned with and that is team chemistry, it seems a little chippy when they are not winning. I don't want them to be happy when their behind but I don't feel that toughness and ability to pick each other up, and approach the game like losing is not an option. I feel like they kind of hang their heads. Did anyone else notice this?

04-09-17 09:12PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by corn broom
Probably should have called time out, but it is tough to overrule the Skip.

So looking at the entire body of work, team USA had a pretty good week but since they bronzed last year, this effort will be criticized. There is certainly room for improvement in certain areas and I am going to bring up one that I am a little concerned with and that is team chemistry, it seems a little chippy when they are not winning. I don't want them to be happy when their behind but I don't feel that toughness and ability to pick each other up, and approach the game like losing is not an option. I feel like they kind of hang their heads. Did anyone else notice this?

Oh yes, their on-ice attitude is awful when they are down. Implosion. I notice this; see my posts regarding them needing a sports psychologist. If they have one, that person doesn't seem to be working. Rachel Homan got a sports psych. for their coach, doesn't even do anything regarding strategy during the games. I've definitely seen a change in their on-ice demeanor, which has helped them.

04-09-17 11:18PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

USA curling still not at elite level. Play for Bronze medal seems to be their ceiling for now, and Shuster team did that again this year. Kudos.

04-10-17 02:33PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

3rd and 4th in the World in consecutive years isn't "elite"?

Tied for 2nd most Olympic Qualification points over the two year cycle (on the Men's side at least) isn't "elite"?

The only team other than Canada to be in the Final 4 both years isn't "Elite"?

Umm....your standards seem awfully unreasonable there...

COuld they do better? Sure.

Are they doing pretty damned good? Yes, they are.

04-10-17 04:15PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
3rd and 4th in the World in consecutive years isn't "elite"?

Tied for 2nd most Olympic Qualification points over the two year cycle (on the Men's side at least) isn't "elite"?

The only team other than Canada to be in the Final 4 both years isn't "Elite"?

Umm....your standards seem awfully unreasonable there...

COuld they do better? Sure.

Are they doing pretty damned good? Yes, they are.

Shuster's team is 100% not elite. They are ranked 20th in the world this year in curling. In no sport will you find that 20th place is considered elite. Sure there are lots of Canadian teams above them, but just because they are Canadian does not mean they are not ranked higher. Also, Shuster's team does not rack up very many victories over elite teams (They do however have great success against teams equal or worse than them which I do genuineness say as a compliment).

I would describe Shuster's team as such. They are a very good team, probably 1 tier down from the elite teams. They are good enough that on a given day, they could beat anyone, as they do possess an elite skill set. They however do not possess elite consistency through all aspects of the game, and in the end, tend to make a huge mistake or 2 in games against the elite teams that make wins less likely. As a team dynamic, they tend to have what appears to be from the outside looking in what can be described as poor chemistry when things arent going well. Just look how Shuster will lean on his broom while the other team shoots, seemingly pouting when the game is not going well. For complicated shots Shuster is very decisive, but can be rudely dismissive to teammates about what should be done. At times you will hear people give him an unsolicited suggestion, and his response will be a very short and terse "no" or something similar. Shuster does seem very open to listening to things when he initiates the conversation for ideas, and he frequently will do this, so that is a good thing. There is potential that Shusters team could become elite, but not quite there yet.

04-10-17 04:20PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

It is easier to win a world's bronze medal than it is to reach the final of any Grand Slam event. Depth of field is the issue so Shuster is not elite. And for the record I would love to see the USA have elite Men's and Women's teams. Curling doing well in the USA will bring more money and recognition to the sport world wide so I am a big USA backer actually.

04-10-17 10:34PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

As a follow up to my last post about my thoughts on if Shuster is elite, I will add this, so people can get my true feelings. I do not root for Shuster at Nationals, would prefer other people to win. I do root for Shuster when they are playing non-US teams (aka playing as Team USA). In other words, they are not my favorite, but I do wish them the best, and their success is good for USA Curling. Honestly, making the finals at Worlds every year, even with the things that bug me, is a heck of an accomplishment, one that they should be proud of, and one that USA Curlers should be happy to see and should congratulate the team for.

Last edited by curlky on 04-11-17 at 11:38AM

04-10-17 11:11PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

curlky. how drunk were you when you typed your last post?

04-11-17 11:41AM
curlky
Drawmaster

Cleaned up some grammar, typed it from my phone, and that never ends well. My intention was that some people think that I am just a Shuster Hater, and no matter what they do, I will bash them. I was just trying got state that while I really do not care for the team, they have talent, and have done some great accomplishments. Too many people today who are against something will not even acknowledge there are some good sides to all bad things.

04-11-17 08:31PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

What would be the criteria for "elite"?

OOM top 10? OOM top 10 in both YTD and overall?
Better than 50/50 record against top-20 OOM teams?
At least one Grand Slam final reached within past year?

Something else?

04-11-17 08:53PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by birvin
What would be the criteria for "elite"?

OOM top 10? OOM top 10 in both YTD and overall?
Better than 50/50 record against top-20 OOM teams?
At least one Grand Slam final reached within past year?

Something else?

Everybody will have their own criteria I suppose but mine is....any tournament your team enters you are automatically thought of as one of the favorites. Doesn't matter if it is the world's, the Brier, the Olympics, a grand slam, or a local cash spiel. You are not a dark horse pick, your team is always in the running for everything before the tournament starts. The team might go winless in a grand slam but in the next one everybody still believes you are one of the favourites. At the world's the obvious pick for the gold medal game was Gushue and Edin before the tournament started. If Shutter had won gold and they started the tournament over again I would still pick those two to reach the final. That's elite for me.

04-11-17 11:56PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
My intention was that some people think that I am just a Shuster Hater, and no matter what they do, I will bash them. I was just trying got state that while I really do not care for the team...

Good curlers, good guys. What's not to like?

04-12-17 03:52AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Shuster's team is 100% not elite. They are ranked 20th in the world this year in curling. In no sport will you find that 20th place is considered elite.

In tennis and golf, top 20 is definitely considered elite level.
I'd say that top 50 - or even top 100 - is considered elite level in tennis and golf. There is not much difference between #3 and #33 in these sports.

Not much differently, though there are really no rankings for this, the 20th best baseball or hockey player in the world would also definitely be considered elite in their sport - and there, too, I'd say that the top 50 or 100 would even be considered elite.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-12-17 03:57AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

In tennis and golf, top 20 is definitely considered elite level.
I'd say that top 50 - or even top 100 - is considered elite level in tennis and golf. There is not much difference between #3 and #33 in these sports.

Not much differently, though there are really no rankings for this, the 20th best baseball or hockey player in the world would also definitely be considered elite in their sport - and there, too, I'd say that the top 50 or 100 would even be considered elite.

The only problem is, is they are all individuals. I wouldn`t say a 20th place team in hockey is of the elite teams, and less in baseball.
I would say the 20th best curler is in the elite category, but none of the 4 Team Shuster members are in that group.