M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - Acton
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - RCMP
M: BC Mens - Kootenay Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Okanagan Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
M: BC Mens - Island Playdowns
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Homan Olympic Chances

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-21-18 12:45AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

That was a nice blog post, although slightly delusional. They didn't really play THAT well. They left a lot of points on the ice. I have to believe they realize that and just haven't admitted it to the press. Homan herself repeatedly missed clutch shots, and I can't imagine she has forgotten those.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-18 02:40AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
A little something to read from Rachael. Enjoy.

http://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/02/...rachel-homan-2/

Thanks for the link.
Pretty standard stuff, though - kind of 'cut and paste' - anyone in that position would have written exactly the same thing. There isn't anything personal or revealing there - just standard, 'politically correct' stuff. It doesn't sound like the real, intense Rachel, who is no doubt very pissed off right now - the blog sounds more like what Curling Canada told her to write.
I'd be more interested to read her honest and true thoughts a few days from now, after it has all had a chance to sink in.

A few days ago, in this or another thread, I posted a link to an article that was written just before the Homan team left for South Korea. In that article, Homan was quoted as saying that they were disappointed to not win the Olympic berth 4 years ago, but they now realize that they weren't ready to handle the Olympic stage 4 years ago - they didn't realize then that they weren't ready, but they realize it now. She goes on to state that now, they're ready.
It was glaringly evident, however, that they still are not ready, as the pressure obviously got to them - big time.

Here is that article...
http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/bi...ympics-pebbled/

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-21-18 06:34AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

There are many, including this old boy who think Team Homan was actually over-prepared for Korea. They had extra training, extra coaching, new coaches approved by Resby Canada, a new spare in TSN's Cheryl Bernard; Earle Morris was still an advisor available on a moment's notice. Kingsbury was the psychological genius.

Then this!

All the preparation - but not enough shots!

That's why they're on the verge of going out meekly - even Mouse Moisseva from OAR jarred them for an opening end 4 in End 1.

Moisseva might not be able to protect a big lead - even against a broken and damaged Homan side but 3-6 still looms. . . . . I suspect they'll rally round the troops and edge out the Russians to finish 4-5 - - - - first Canadian Olympic curling team (mens, womens, mixed) to MISS PLAYOFFS

02-21-18 07:27AM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
It was glaringly evident, however, that they still are not ready, as the pressure obviously got to them - big time.

Yes, there were some signs of nerves, which is expected, but big game skips have to be able to play through those. I thought it was strange when Homan was throwing her final stone against Great Britain. She hesitated in the hack before preparing to throw her draw and started asking questions. She seemed so scared...as if the realization that this was do or die was too much. I wasn't surprised when her draw came up light.

This has also made me appreciate even more what Jennifer Jones did in 2014. Before every big shot, Jones looked nervous, but she still made the shots. Whatever Jones has inside her to play through those nerves, it's the right stuff.

02-21-18 07:39AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It seemed that CC swooped in and took control of Team Homan instead of leaving well enough alone. And we all see how that worked out!

Jones was left alone with the spare of her choice - Kirsten Wall who had some international experience but not worlds or Olympics. Her coach of choice - advisor Janet.

CC must have been concerned about Team Homan to throw all these resources at her. I agree with all the other posters who have said there is something off with this team this year. They pulled it together for the trials but then seemed to fall apart again. When I saw Korea wipe the floor with them at the Canadian Open...I had a feeling the Olympics may not go well.

02-21-18 01:10PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Going back to my original 'rant', about Homan's decision to remove a burned rock, the curler who has since been discredited as not sportsman like, not honest, not fair, selfish, having no common sense, having no integrity, a blemish on the sport, a lack of grace, no class, a cheater, an embarrassment, Un-Canadian... to name just a few of the more complimentary remarks, one might have anticipated that since Canada had at least experienced and (seemingly) survived a second burned rock incident, that one of those who blithely slam dunked her would now demonstrate that they are not biased themselves and could/would actually prove just how fair and balanced they are by conceding that she is perhaps - just maybe - not actually a cheat, not totally classless, not dishonest, etc., etc. But no, that would be expecting too much! And what do we get instead? Nothing. Silence, except for some nebulous, peripheral questions about what may or may not have influenced her thinking this time around. Sad.

02-21-18 02:32PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

bwahahah... Came aboard to posting this link to Beaverton's take on Homan's results, https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/0...ountries-medal/

...and read Deliver's rant - sounds like ARCHER - #really?

02-21-18 03:20PM
shakeirish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shakeirish Find more posts by shakeirish Add shakeirish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shakeirish
Knee-Slider

hilarious stuff
Homans team will likely never have a better chance at Olympic medal.
Doubt this squad will look identical 4 years down the road

02-21-18 05:14PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
It seemed that CC swooped in and took control of Team Homan instead of leaving well enough alone. And we all see how that worked out!

Jones was left alone with the spare of her choice - Kirsten Wall who had some international experience but not worlds or Olympics. Her coach of choice - advisor Janet.

CC must have been concerned about Team Homan to throw all these resources at her. I agree with all the other posters who have said there is something off with this team this year. They pulled it together for the trials but then seemed to fall apart again. When I saw Korea wipe the floor with them at the Canadian Open...I had a feeling the Olympics may not go well.

The CCA interference with this team was a factor in their struggles. There was no point in having a 5th assigned to them that they didn't feel comfortable with. In one game, Miskew looked visibly weak and had no weight control; one could guess that if they had a 5th they were comfortable with they could have given Miskew some rest. And that may have helped her in the later games as well.

Sonnenberg was obviously not a good fit either as a coach; it was uncomfortable seeing some of the time outs and her advice was not terrible but it was questionable or weakly presented. Without the respect of the team, maybe impossible for her to do this well.

While impossible to know how much these factors impacted in their play. it is important to have a comfortable team situation. The fact their regular "coach" is more for mental preperation suggests this is even more important for this team then many others.

I have no doubt they'll bounce back, and hopefully they just tell the CCA to screw off if they ever try to interfere in this way again.

02-21-18 05:18PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I'm of the opinion Emma & Rachel will stay together for one more cycle.

LIsa, the oldest of the current group may retire - this season the Homan group played a fairly light schedule and that was in Lisa's favour - when the schedule of tourneys and obligations ramps up, who knows?

Don't know what happens with Courtney. Everyone was ready to anoint her the greatest 2nd in the world - not so fast. Jill Officer is still a better shooter, better weight-judger and almost as strong a brush as Courtney so Jill still gets the nod, even at 42.

Courtney seemed to be shut out from the decision-making process as Rachel's troubles compounded this week. Whether Rachel and Emma can find anyone better I don't no. There is no stronger women in women's curling than Joanne Courtney - and she doesn't appear to have any ego problems someone like Ashley Sippala or Liz Fyfe mght have!

02-21-18 06:12PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Knee-Slider

I wonder if Dupont's comments on karma refer to the final game of the Olympic qualification event where the Danish team pulled 2 burnt Italian rocks. In all 3 instances (4 if you include the Canada-China game) the offending team readily admitted burning the rock and left it to the non-offending team to select the option.

02-21-18 06:26PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

The cca was correct in assigning a fifth and a coach

It spends million catering to the players ( some prima donnas apparently ) they have a right to insist on this.

If they are not careful , the cca may drop their funding - $100,000 a year gets you a say

02-21-18 08:14PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

A near miss in the OAR game just to put an exclamation mark on their entire week, love those 1st end 4 scores,

02-21-18 11:50PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Sonnenberg was obviously not a good fit either as a coach; it was uncomfortable seeing some of the time outs and her advice was not terrible but it was questionable or weakly presented. Without the respect of the team, maybe impossible for her to do this well.

While impossible to know how much these factors impacted in their play. it is important to have a comfortable team situation. The fact their regular "coach" is more for mental preperation suggests this is even more important for this team then many others.

I have no doubt they'll bounce back, and hopefully they just tell the CCA to screw off if they ever try to interfere in this way again.

Remember when Glenn Howard came to the ice when Team Muirhead called a time out? Glenn was firm and showed so much knowledge as to what Homan would play on the following shot. No messing around, he said "do this".

02-22-18 12:24AM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

ya howard no class

02-22-18 12:40AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

The CCA interference with this team was a factor in their struggles. There was no point in having a 5th assigned to them that they didn't feel comfortable with. In one game, Miskew looked visibly weak and had no weight control; one could guess that if they had a 5th they were comfortable with they could have given Miskew some rest. And that may have helped her in the later games as well.

I am certainly not one to defend Curling Canada... But I was under the impression that it was Homan's team who chose Cheryl Bernard as their 5th player. I believe it was Bernard herself who told that story during a 'Scotties' telecast. So it doesn't appear as though she was imposed on the team by Curling Canada.
There were some specific criteria which had to be met for the 5th, and the team's usual 5th, Cheryl Kreviazuk, didn't meet that criteria. The criteria narrowed down the possible candidates to a degree. I assume the Homan team was given a list of candidates, and from that, chose Bernard.

Here is an article explaining in more detail what I just wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/c...s-why-1.4479499

As for Sonnenberg's presence, I agree that she and the team did not appear to be 'in synch' with each other - at least during the time-outs that I saw. This is not the fault of Sonnenberg or of the the team - it's just a simple matter that sometimes there is 'chemistry', and sometimes there is not.
I wonder how much say the Homan team had in the selection of the coach. Maybe some... maybe none... In any case, Earle Morris was there at the Olympics - I assume in the role of John's father - and one would think that he would have been a natural choice to act as coach of Homan's Team Canada, for obvious reasons.
Perhaps Earle was asked, and refused. Perhaps Earle was offered to Homan's team, and they refused. Some people in Canada know how the coach was selected - but it seems that none of them are active in this Forum.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 02-22-18 at 12:45AM

02-22-18 07:05AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Still don't believe the 5th story...CC didn't worry about Kirsten Wall being Jennifer's 5th? As another poster noted, there was a game where Emma was visibly suffering from something (flu?) yet they didn't bring out their very experienced 5th.

Oh well its over now...I can watch the gold medal game in peace now as I don't care who wins.

02-22-18 07:35AM
On The Nose
Swing Artist

What seems odd is that when the men's team calls a time out, it's their 5th player (Scott Pfeifer) who comes out to talk with the team... whereas with the women's team, Cheryl Bernard never came out during the time outs - it was always Sonnenberg.

Is there anything to be read into that?
And if so, what?

02-22-18 08:41AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
I wonder if Dupont's comments on karma refer to the final game of the Olympic qualification event where the Danish team pulled 2 burnt Italian rocks. In all 3 instances (4 if you include the Canada-China game) the offending team readily admitted burning the rock and left it to the non-offending team to select the option.

What? The Danish team pulled two ( 2 ) burned Italian rocks? Bet Madeleine and her sister, Denise, couldn't wait to kick those rocks out of the house fast enough. And isn't this the same Madeleine who was interviewed by that crack CBC broadcaster, Colleen Jones, and told the world she had never experienced anything like the Canadian incident before? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
Shame on her.

02-22-18 08:43AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

did you see the Danish pull these two rocks?

I just wonder if they were more sportsman like, better etiquette than Homan was. Talked to the other skip?

02-22-18 10:40AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
did you see the Danish pull these two rocks?

I just wonder if they were more sportsman like, better etiquette than Homan was. Talked to the other skip?

Italy burned them both between the hogs and the offending sweeper did not call either of her offenses. One was 30 feet short of the hog on a draw for two and the other at the hog and it redirected the stone.

Anyone comparing this incident to the Olympics did not see the Danes vs. the Italians.

Last edited by biterbar on 02-22-18 at 10:43AM

02-22-18 12:43PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

The only team disruption CC should have on Team Canada is maybe send a liason/ interpreter. Or, don't have the CC personal on the bench.
Changing coaches and 5th's is counter productive. Team Homan was good enough to win the toughest field ever, and then CC changes things. Makes NO sense. Water under the bridge now, I hope lesson learned.

02-22-18 01:00PM
RaiseDoubleFTW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RaiseDoubleFTW Click here to Send RaiseDoubleFTW a Private Message Find more posts by RaiseDoubleFTW Add RaiseDoubleFTW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RaiseDoubleFTW
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

What? The Danish team pulled two ( 2 ) burned Italian rocks? Bet Madeleine and her sister, Denise, couldn't wait to kick those rocks out of the house fast enough. And isn't this the same Madeleine who was interviewed by that crack CBC broadcaster, Colleen Jones, and told the world she had never experienced anything like the Canadian incident before? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
Shame on her.

Yeah, no.

The first rock was burnt about 30ft before the hog line so there was no decision to make there.

The second was much closer to the hog line and Madeline spent about 5 minutes trying to make sure she had all the information available. She was clearly uncomfortable making the decision and was trying to get the official to make a call on whether the touch was before or after the hog line.

In the end she trusted her own team mate who was very clear in her assessment that the touch was before the hog line and so, again, took the only option available for a stone touched before the hog line.

About as different from the Homan situation as you could get.

02-22-18 03:28PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Understand that after the 1st rock was burned, Mad Madeleine - who also claims to be a pirate although she doesn't have an eye patch, or a parrot or a peg-leg - actually spit on the rock. Then, as she passed by the Italian skip, she muttered something in Danish. Does anybody know what she said?

02-22-18 04:44PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
I am certainly not one to defend Curling Canada... But I was under the impression that it was Homan's team who chose Cheryl Bernard as their 5th player. I believe it was Bernard herself who told that story during a 'Scotties' telecast. So it doesn't appear as though she was imposed on the team by Curling Canada.

What I heard was different, that the CCA was unwilling to fund their fifth. Not sure what the technicalities were.Bottom line on the surface is it looked like a somewhat dysfunctional group, not unlike the Scotland Mens team in recent years with Murdoch etc. I'm not blaming the coach or Bernard for what occurred, but one could say they didn't appear to be much help either when the on ice team went off the rails.

Given this new information, I'm not sure why they decided a clearly ill Miskew was a better bet then a fresh Bernard, but I could guess the sweeping game was a factor. There was a clear point where pulling her would have been wise in the one game.

So let's just say then if the CCA had any part in the choice of coach or fifth player, either directly or in terms of restricting their choices due to funding or cumbersome rules, they made a mistake. And if they didn't, it falls on Team Homan and they just got it wrong this time out.If Bernard was chosen as the best fit in that role, they should have used her. Sonnenberg I wasn't aware was involved with this team at all; Scotland had Glenn Howard and other teams had longer term coaches.