Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Muirhead Line-Up Change

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-10-16 01:20PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Team Muirhead Line-Up Change

http://www.redskymanagement.co.uk/n...6/2017-season-0

Interesting, especially this deep (well, halfway anyway) into an Olympic cycle.

Thoughts?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-10-16 02:21PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Agreed, rather interesting especially as I don't think the problem was at lead but rather at Vice...they started winning when Anna Sloan was off with her injury.

05-10-16 03:40PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Agreed, rather interesting especially as I don't think the problem was at lead but rather at Vice...they started winning when Anna Sloan was off with her injury.

Well, it could be Sarah Reid's choice to take a step back for all we know, the article didnt really say.

Although, usually when it is their decision (as was the case with Claire Hamilton) the team/person makes it a point to say so when the announcement is made.

In either case, I guess it's really none of our business and all speculation on our part until/unless we're told futter details.

Changing coaches is surprising as well. Again, it isn't exactly clear if it's a team decision or that of the coach, and again pure speculation/not our business until/unless we hear more.

I'm interested to see what happens though fir sure.

05-10-16 03:43PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I also thought Anna Sloan was in jeopardy but obviously she's cinched into the team. What was the name of the lead who came before Sarah Reid? Is she still curling?

Claire Hamilton. She stepped away from curling to focus on her career (pharmacy) and to further her education. She also got into cycling, and has competed...not sure as to what specific discipline(s)/event(s) or at what level though.

05-10-16 08:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i really think that vicki and anna are there with eve until they decide to stop.i dont see eve ever replacing either one. though i do think she needs a better third she doesnt have a lot of options in scotland. she could ask flemming or aitken, one of the other top skips in the country if they'd consider playing third.

with vicki its just smart to keep her. she's got one of the best 2nds in the world with her(behind only jill and jo-anne)

05-11-16 03:49AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Its a start

Hopefully Eve will find a solid lead to replace Sara..who was good but not world class..

Vicki has proven her worth again this season...

Changing coach might elevate their strategy a bit..
Perhaps Hay wasnt up to the modern game..
especially the changes in sweeping and 5 rock rule

Waiting to see the replacements...and how Sloan recovers from her surgery next season.

Eve just turned 26.. a world of winning still ahead...

05-11-16 09:16AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

what surgery did anna sloan have. i always read surgery, but never knew why.

05-11-16 10:00AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Dana Ferguson, Sidorova's 2nd, Sherri Singler & J. Peterman would dispute your assertion.

I don't think there's a clear-cut best 2nd in the world at this point Anyways, not like D. McEwen is the clear-cut leading lead in world.

no,i'd rate vicki above every single one of them. ferguson and raeva are to inconsistent and singler has declined to much. the only one among those mentioned thats even close is peterman but i'd give vicki the slight edge.

05-11-16 10:40AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
what surgery did anna sloan have. i always read surgery, but never knew why.

Knee surgery to repair a torn ligament (I can't remember if it was MCL or ACL).

05-14-16 03:00AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Eve Muirhead's column about it:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spo...-new-direction/

Sounds like coaching-wise they're taking a page from Tom Brewster, at least based on how Mike Harris described his role coaching the team:

"While some of the coaches who have taken on international jobs have had to help build programs from the ground up, Harris is joining a traditional curling stronghold, with a very specific task to take on.

A lot of team dynamics stuff," Harris said, offering a glimpse into what Team Brewster has had him do this season. "My jobs really to keep them in the moment and keep them upbeat and positive. And doing everything they can do, off the ice in order to be at their best on the ice."

"They're all really good players," said Harris. Toms a very good skip in his own right. I dont do a lot of note taking when it comes to strategy and stuff with him, which is great. Thats a good sign. Only once or twice have I written anything down, strategically, that I really disagreed with, where some of the other coaches Ive worked beside are kind of taking notes feverishly throughout the entire game. Thats not been an issue for me.

Being technically and strategically sound is something that every team must have, of course. What they must also have is a good dynamic or team personality and that is where Harris has come in. Brewster has had a bit of a reputation for being an emotional sort (Harris, too, had that characteristic in his earlier days) and if it has gotten in the way of ultimate success on the world stage, seems he'd like to remedy that.

Specifically, I do a lot of stuff with them from the standpoint of team dynamic," Harris said, pointing out that his work has to do with much more than just how the skip is running things. "Theyre all pretty emotional guys. So if they have anything upset the cart, sort of thing, I watch how they react to it, very closely. Thats where I help them most.

"Its my job to make sure that they stay pretty even-keeled. They did that very, very well at the Scottish Championship, I must say.

Source:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-173452796.html

05-14-16 08:01AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Sports Psychologists

Colleen Jones knew this years ago.. many years ago..
her winning record perhaps reflects it
Team SK ( women) have a high-performance coach..

Not sure what training or qualifications Mike Harris has as far as taming the beast in Tom Brewster.

What is a bit sad is the very shallow pool of players Eve Muirhead has to build and improve..

05-28-16 12:49AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

My educated guess tells me Lauren Gray will be joining Team Muirhead.

05-28-16 09:13AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, lauren gray announced as the new lead

05-28-16 09:33AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up natural choice

Lauren has been Eve's Team Alternate for a few years now..

This should strengthen Eve's results next season

Just turned 24 years old... huge CV already..

- Olympic bronze medal at the Sochi Olympic Games in 2014
- World Champion Curler in 2013
- Youth Olympic Games gold medallist in 2009

05-28-16 09:45AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Good pickup in Gray, if for nothing else than that she has experience and his been with the team before, so much less of a "breaking-in" period so to speak. Good move for her too I think...not often you get a chance to join one of the best teams in the world full-time.

Not sure if she'll be any better/worse than Sarah Reid at lead though...and that's not to say anything bad about either of them. Personally, I thought Sarah Reid was a pretty solid lead and played well. Not sure if Gray will be bringing anything more to the table in that respect, but based on Eve's comments it sounds like they're looking for something more than just skills.

05-28-16 10:09AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Some key statements from Eve on the selection:

"It will be a big change for Lauren but she will adapt quickly from skip to lead as she is a very good player and her ability to analyse and read the game will be an added strength to our rink as Anna and Vicki are also very analytical, so this line up change will reinvigorate our team."

"However at this halfway point nothing is a given and there is a lot of hard work ahead to give us the best chance of medals and to ensure we peak at the right events and for that I need the best sweepers in the world in my team."

"Lauren now has a change of focus with new incentives and will bring a new dynamic plus new ideas to our team, so we will have a solid unit as we head towards the long season ahead and her bubbly personality wont go amiss in our team."

Source: http://www.redskymanagement.co.uk/n...h.V1e7y7sq.dpuf