Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

General impressions

The level of play is very high and quite enjoyable to watch. The attendance at most sessions is in the low 100s, so you can move from one seat to another and get a better look at things.

There were many more at Draw 1 in prime time last night to cheer on Brad Jacobs, maybe 1000, and at the noon draw today there were several kids groups in maybe totalling about the same number.

I have tickets for the whole event, but there's lake effect snow coming along my road home. There may be a window in it on Friday, and if there is, I'm going to take it and leave then, or else I could be stuck here a lot longer than I'd planned on.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-16 06:47PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Great match between Jones & Hasselborg

The best match I've seen so far just ended between Teams Jones and Hasselborg.

Hasselborg had managed to sneakily get a steal of 1 in the 5th to get a 3-2 lead. 6th was blanked. In the 7th, Jones got a cluster of 3 stones at about 1 o'clock inside the 8-foot circle, grazing the 4-foot, and Hasselborg attempted a triple takeout. She managed to negotiate the guards and hit all 3 Jones stones, but only with enough force to just spread them out across the rings, setting up a score of 4 on Jones' last shot. 6-3 Jones.

Then in the 8th, Hasselborg had 3 stones lined up nicely near the end of the end but Jones needed only to remove a couple with a takeout, and she just missed and slid them a bit rarther than take them out, setting Hasselborg up to score 3 (maybe 4) if she could just remove a wide stone of Jones'. She tired this, and in what looked like deja vu from the way she lost the gold medal at the European Championships a week and a half ago, her last stone crashed on a high guard. Game over, Jones won.

Old Post 12-07-16 09:38PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Would have loved to see that Jonesie Jones vs. Anna Hass match. Sounds like Jones is up to her old tricks - getting big scores and then becoming virtually defenseless.

Too bad Anna crunched on a front stone! 2 losses would have no doubt put Jones on the back-burner.

Also appears Team Sweeting is back to their normal - low risk, high percentage curling. Combined with Homan being out for blood this thing clearly lines up for a

Sweeting vs. Homan finale . . . . !!!

Jones may or may not factor in but doesn't appear as strong or bountiful as last week.

Old Post 12-07-16 10:21PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Wasn't there some fake legend out there yelping about Anna Hasselborg's lack of killer instinct?

Old Post 12-07-16 10:53PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

.Thanks "Observer" for your front row seat commentary!

Old Post 12-08-16 01:29AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Ditto

quote:
Originally posted by ellejay
.Thanks "Observer" for your front row seat commentary!

Old Post 12-08-16 06:36AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Smile Finally- TV today

Luckily we get TV Thurs..so can enjoy seeing this World-class curling

Really happy for Val Sweeting that she's off to a 2-0 start..she's just too good to stay struggling for long

Kinda testing Anna Hasselborg..her second event game Final hammer fail but it seems from Observer's account this wasn't a draw like at the Euros...
Peja Lindholm should be able to help her figure out what she may be doing to misjudge these game-losing shots...maybe its even something as minute as a sweeping judgement issue..
Margaretha Sigfridsson has always been Sweden's rep so Anna now gets her experience..

Like Cheryl Bernard said: " you Win or you Learn.."

Last edited by HotRocks on 12-08-16 at 03:23PM

Old Post 12-08-16 06:46AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

additionally

I should say it was tough to tell from my angle whether Anna's 4th stone would've counted or not, and they don't have any overhead camera shots here (though I suspect we may at least start seeing the TV video when that starts today). If it was only 3, that just would've sent it to an extra end where Jones would have hammer. And the guard she crashed on was in a tougher spot than the one in the Europe final.

Old Post 12-08-16 08:22AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

McCarville over-powers the mercurial Alison Flaxey via back to back 3-spots this a.m. in only womens game.

Flaxey, the points leader has suddenly fallen on harsh times - not an insult to lose to monsters like Homan, Jones or Sweeting but getting thrashed by the light-playing Krista makes one wonder.

However, Flaxey said the team are really practice monkeys and early season success was no fluke. Like most curling teams, maybe they're just in a funk.

I wonder if the now heavily favoured to win Homan has reverted to past strategies, abandoning that pitty-patty nuance game they seemed committed to learn earlier this year?

Old Post 12-08-16 10:36AM
misty1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
McCarville over-powers the mercurial Alison Flaxey via back to back 3-spots this a.m. in only womens game.

Flaxey, the points leader has suddenly fallen on harsh times - not an insult to lose to monsters like Homan, Jones or Sweeting but getting thrashed by the light-playing Krista makes one wonder.

However, Flaxey said the team are really practice monkeys and early season success was no fluke. Like most curling teams, maybe they're just in a funk.

I wonder if the now heavily favoured to win Homan has reverted to past strategies, abandoning that pitty-patty nuance game they seemed committed to learn earlier this year?

I hope you are not implying that losing to Krista mccarville, a 2 times Scotties medalist and Olympic trials bronze medalist is something to be a shame of.

Old Post 12-08-16 10:49AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I hope you are not implying that losing to Krista mccarville, a 2 times Scotties medalist and Olympic trials bronze medalist is something to be a shame of.

No shame whatsoever. Look at how a Scotties champion like Carey got manhandled last few events.

Also, Jones got a bit of a stunner from the low-performing Feltscher yesterday (NOTE: Jones has always served as a bit of a slump-buster for ailing teams)

Then there's Homan - who suddenly found themselves whipped 'n bombed by Jones last week, not once but twice - how often does that happen?

Old Post 12-08-16 10:58AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

While it is generous to give the Junior team of tanner Horgan a sponsors exemption, they look like they are getting thrashed...would it not have been better to give an exemption to another men's team who might have benefitted from the potential points and competition?

Old Post 12-08-16 10:59AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
While it is generous to give the Junior team of tanner Horgan a sponsors exemption, they look like they are getting thrashed...would it not have been better to give an exemption to another men's team who might have benefitted from the potential points and competition?

Its a tough call. That little Dunstone kid over-delivered when he was jettisoned into men's play. Sometimes playing with the big boys illustrates exactly what you have to improve in your own team's game. Hopefully it won't cause long-term despondence. With good coaches and family around them - I think they'll benefit.

Old Post 12-08-16 11:13AM
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Flaxey v McCarville

I watched Flaxey vs McCarville, and it was straightforward. McCarville put together solid, well-constructed ends while Flaxey simple missed her shots at the wrong moments.

Old Post 12-08-16 11:53AM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Is the Horgan family not "the" curling family in the area that might have influenced the invite?

Old Post 12-08-16 12:06PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Is the Horgan family not "the" curling family in the area that might have influenced the invite?

Good point!

Old Post 12-08-16 12:20PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hovering

This is pretty funny. There are a set of tall round tables right behind an end of the ice sheets put there by the sponsors as part of a bar set-up. And I do mean right behind the sheets. If you're at one the back of the 12-foot is only 12 feet away from you. (And you're freezing)

Right now, Tracy Fleury's mother is sitting at the table right where the Fleury vs Carey match is, and sometimes she stands up and hovers the way that mothers hover, and of course, she's _right there_.

Old Post 12-08-16 01:00PM
CURLER1
Swing Artist

old times

why did I and why do I still find the Stoughton, Martin, Ferbey, Howards games much more entertaining to watch then these curlers?

Old Post 12-08-16 01:40PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Re: old times

[QUOTE]

Last edited by guido on 12-08-16 at 04:59PM

Old Post 12-08-16 01:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
why did I and why do I still find the Stoughton, Martin, Ferbey, Howards games much more entertaining to watch then these curlers?

These men (and their teams) were often bigger than the game itself. Other names that could easily be added:

- Hec Gervais
- Ernie Richardson
- Bob "PeeWee" Pickering
- Kerry Burtnyk
- Ron Northcott
- Don Duguid
- Rod Hunter
- Rick Folk
- The Rolling Stones (Hackner & Rick Lang)
- Matt Baldwin (oldest living Brier winner)
- Paul Gowsell

Old Post 12-08-16 02:49PM
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

It may also be that you never saw them as much, and they were always important ex Brier Games

Old Post 12-08-16 04:36PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

i miss them as well. i found those rivalries more interesting. but, then again we dont really have any great rivalries going on in the sport between teams on the mens side right now.

there still isnt that one match up that everyone looks forward to seeing like a stoughton v.s martin or martin v.s howard match

im sure that'll come

having said all that that doesnt mean i dont enjoy watching the games now. if i didnt i wouldnt be watching anymore.

Last edited by misty1 on 12-08-16 at 05:09PM

Old Post 12-08-16 05:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Nice touch by Rachel

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Joanne Courtney took the draw for hammer shot...

Just bought SportsnetONE ( $7) to watch the Men's game tonight at 7ET..

why is that a nice touch by rachel every player on every team at some point has to throw the draw to the button. has nothing to do with rachel's choice

Old Post 12-08-16 05:35PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Val Sweeting -3-0

Looking like her usual self again and curling great..90% in the Draw 8 win
Nik Edin - such a pleasure to watch.. bounced back from his first game loss with a 92% win against McEwen..
Carruthers is going to be all Nik can handle tonight

The Men's rivalry between Jacobs and Gushue continues at 7ET
Great to see the Battle of the Brads again..

Old Post 12-08-16 05:48PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Perhaps they could bring in Crystal Webster to play 3rd?

j/k

Old Post 12-08-16 06:19PM