Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 6 -- 3:00pm CT
Kizlyk Final
Berg (8) Watch Live Curling!
Drews Final
Workin (7) Watch Live Curling!
D: WCT Latvian Mixed Doubles Curling Cup 2
Riga, LAT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-02-15 03:30PM
irishrose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for irishrose Click here to Send irishrose a Private Message Find more posts by irishrose Add irishrose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
irishrose
Harvey Hacksmasher

John Morris

Seems John has forgotten he is not the skip anymore but he sure has a lot to say. His constant yapping and yelling is most annoying. He needs to be seen and heard.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-02-15 03:46PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Let's not overlook his personal and team stats. Both are tops in the field. Winning and performance trumps everything.

04-02-15 03:55PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

You know what, I think you're wrong. And I wouldn't have said that years ago.

John Morris used to annoy me like nobody else for similar reasons you've indicated. But I think my annoyance was compounded by seeing him playing with Kevin Martin, who I wasn't the biggest fan of, usually because he was beating up on the Manitoba teams I was cheering for. People got annoyed at Colleen Jones when she was winning everything, people are now getting annoyed at Jennifer Jones for winning everything... well, I wasn't immune to that either in the case of Kevin Martin circa 2008-2013.

John Morris is a chatterbox, always has been, always will be. But look at what his own teammates say about him. They value his input. John is hyper-aware of every little path on the ice, has a near-encyclopedic memory of which paths they've played and which weights they've seen over the course of the game. This is all good information for the skip and the front end. John plays his best when he's allowed to be the chatterbox, buzzing around the team and communicating everything with everyone.

Pat's a veteran, and knows how much information to take in, and when John is just being John. Kevin Martin was the same - John would talk talk talk talk, and Martin would either engage him in conversation, or just kind of let the words wash over him while he mentally prepared for his shots.

I'm finding it a lot easier to cheer for John Morris now that he's playing with Pat, Carter and Nolan, who have been 3 of my favourite curlers for years. (Especially Pat! But I'm biased as a prairie boy.) I'm realizing in hindsight that "team player" John Morris who I'm really admiring at this moment is probably the exact same "annoying chatterbox" John Morris who used to drive me nuts when he played with Martin. He's a great shooter, is awesome at pumping up the team and keeping everyone focused and attentive on the game, provides great positive feedback to Pat, calls line really well, sweeps his butt off, and obviously loves the game. He's passionate about what he does.

I'm not claiming to be some kind of saint or anything, but seeing the over-the-top negativity so many of these curlers seem to attract is really starting to make me uncomfortable. I was glad when Jill Officer wrote her article about nasty online comments - it's unbelievable that a team that experienced and competent should still be barraged by mean-spirited comments every time they achieve anything. Or miss a shot. I used to be pretty down on Colleen Jones back in the day. But you don't become a 6-time Canadian champion by making too many mistakes. I was so relieved she overcame her meningitis and was cheering for her in the Canadian Seniors final.

These curlers are all out there, trying their hardest, pouring so much of themselves into the game. They didn't sign up to become television personalities in the public eye. Anybody could have negative character traits amplified by nonstop cameras and microphones on you. Give these players a break. I'm trying really hard now to watch for the positive aspects of the teams instead of finding annoying characteristics to get annoyed by and bitch about online. There are bigger problems in this world than a few curlers who don't do everything exactly the way I'd like to see it.

If curlers are good enough to get on TV, they're doing the majority of stuff right. Try to give these athletes a break. They're working really hard and trying to represent themselves, their sponsors their provinces, their countries to the best of their ability.

04-02-15 04:08PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

My sentiments exactly.

04-02-15 04:21PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Totally agree with Doubletakeout. As far as I am concerned John may be the best curler in the country. His resume (Jrs., early Ontario days)says it all. Just look at the Team Cotter results prior to and after John was with them and very few people would have picked Team Canada to win the Brier this year.

04-02-15 05:03PM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
I was glad when Jill Officer wrote her article about nasty online comments - it's unbelievable that a team that experienced and competent should still be barraged by mean-spirited comments every time they achieve anything.

Since this article is more about Johnny Mo, I'll keep my reply brief.

I get that curlers are "regular people" but they're also effectively professional athletes and instead of writing an article about the back-handed comments, to paraphrase a popular cartoon family, Jill and company just shouldn't look.

As for Johnny Mo, I'm a big fan. Have always been. Even when he was beating my buddies and I in Junior. The guy has lived up to the phenom status he's had since age 14 and I hope the boys bring home the gold.

04-02-15 05:12PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

Very well stated DTO. There is no other sport on the planet that has TV so in your face revealing your every emotion and character trait good and or bad. Playing in front of the cameras and being 100% miked is hard to mask your inner feelings and be a crowd pleaser. I think these guys are wonderful ambassadors for the sport and our country and John is a class guy who is an all team and no me type of player.

My 2 cents worth

04-02-15 05:21PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
Totally agree with Doubletakeout. As far as I am concerned John may be the best curler in the country. His resume (Jrs., early Ontario days)says it all. Just look at the Team Cotter results prior to and after John was with them and very few people would have picked Team Canada to win the Brier this year.

John's performance and dedication to the game are top notch. He defers to others when needed and seems to have developed something that works with Pat. The amount of chatter out there is far less important then the quality of chatter and timing of it.

John was smart enough to understand his own game and that throwing last might not have been best. He's always been a great player, but his throwing is subject to the odd loose throw at times ( in recent years ), and at third you can occasionally get away with that more so then at skip.

Very enjoyable team to watch and they really rescued their season.

04-02-15 11:39PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

Well said doubletakeout and how nice it is to read the other posters being positive too. I hereby nominate this thread (so far ) as Curling Zone Thread of the Year!

quote:
Originally posted by scorer79

I get that curlers are "regular people" but they're also effectively professional athletes and instead of writing an article about the back-handed comments, to paraphrase a popular cartoon family, Jill and company just shouldn't look.

But why should Jill and her teammates, and other teams too, have to forego the well earned pleasure of reading huzzahs for their accomplishments just because of some ill-mannered buffoons on the internet? They're thrilled and excited and should be able to share the excitement of what they've achieved (or receive consolation "good try" comments when they've just missed) without being insulted by anonymous couch potatoes. I thought Jill's article was excellent and she made some very good points.

04-03-15 12:19AM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Loony
Well said doubletakeout and how nice it is to read the other posters being positive too. I hereby nominate this thread (so far ) as Curling Zone Thread of the Year!

But why should Jill and her teammates, and other teams too, have to forego the well earned pleasure of reading huzzahs for their accomplishments just because of some ill-mannered buffoons on the internet? They're thrilled and excited and should be able to share the excitement of what they've achieved (or receive consolation "good try" comments when they've just missed) without being insulted by anonymous couch potatoes. I thought Jill's article was excellent and she made some very good points.

Seriously can't they just ignore what people say? Obviously people don't like certain teams, its gonna happen. There is definitely a line that can be crossed for what's said on the forums but blogging about it isn't going to change opinions or stop people from saying certain comments. I've never been a huge fan of the jones rink and her blog really bugged me, Jills on the top of the curling world- people love and support their team, read the good comments, ignore the bad ones. I'm not saying it simple to ignore these comments but what else can you do?. Do the Jacobs guys blog about being mad when they get rude comments on their intensity?

04-03-15 02:39AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Lightbulb Take the High Road

quote:
Originally posted by Steviewondering
Seriously can't they just ignore what people say? Obviously people don't like certain teams, its gonna happen. There is definitely a line that can be crossed for what's said on the forums but blogging about it isn't going to change opinions or stop people from saying certain comments. I've never been a huge fan of the jones rink and her blog really bugged me , Jills on the top of the curling world- people love and support their team, read the good comments, ignore the bad ones. I'm not saying it simple to ignore these comments but what else can you do?.

Do the Jacobs guys blog about being mad when they get rude comments on their intensity?

Jill Officer has curled for 25 years now and has enjoyed the unlimited praise thru many of those years.
Many people who dont support the Jones Team after many unpleasant incidences..don't necessarily post "rude" things..
They have every right to NOT support ANY team regardless of whether they are Team Canada...
Welcome to the world of sports and Jills Blog doesn't endear her or Team Jones by challenging their detractors

Just Sayin'

04-03-15 08:06AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
You know what, I think you're wrong. And I wouldn't have said that years ago.

John Morris used to annoy me like nobody else for similar reasons you've indicated. But I think my annoyance was compounded by seeing him playing with Kevin Martin, who I wasn't the biggest fan of, usually because he was beating up on the Manitoba teams I was cheering for. People got annoyed at Colleen Jones when she was winning everything, people are now getting annoyed at Jennifer Jones for winning everything... well, I wasn't immune to that either in the case of Kevin Martin circa 2008-2013.

John Morris is a chatterbox, always has been, always will be. But look at what his own teammates say about him. They value his input. John is hyper-aware of every little path on the ice, has a near-encyclopedic memory of which paths they've played and which weights they've seen over the course of the game. This is all good information for the skip and the front end. John plays his best when he's allowed to be the chatterbox, buzzing around the team and communicating everything with everyone.

Pat's a veteran, and knows how much information to take in, and when John is just being John. Kevin Martin was the same - John would talk talk talk talk, and Martin would either engage him in conversation, or just kind of let the words wash over him while he mentally prepared for his shots.

I'm finding it a lot easier to cheer for John Morris now that he's playing with Pat, Carter and Nolan, who have been 3 of my favourite curlers for years. (Especially Pat! But I'm biased as a prairie boy.) I'm realizing in hindsight that "team player" John Morris who I'm really admiring at this moment is probably the exact same "annoying chatterbox" John Morris who used to drive me nuts when he played with Martin. He's a great shooter, is awesome at pumping up the team and keeping everyone focused and attentive on the game, provides great positive feedback to Pat, calls line really well, sweeps his butt off, and obviously loves the game. He's passionate about what he does.

I'm not claiming to be some kind of saint or anything, but seeing the over-the-top negativity so many of these curlers seem to attract is really starting to make me uncomfortable. I was glad when Jill Officer wrote her article about nasty online comments - it's unbelievable that a team that experienced and competent should still be barraged by mean-spirited comments every time they achieve anything. Or miss a shot. I used to be pretty down on Colleen Jones back in the day. But you don't become a 6-time Canadian champion by making too many mistakes. I was so relieved she overcame her meningitis and was cheering for her in the Canadian Seniors final.

These curlers are all out there, trying their hardest, pouring so much of themselves into the game. They didn't sign up to become television personalities in the public eye. Anybody could have negative character traits amplified by nonstop cameras and microphones on you. Give these players a break. I'm trying really hard now to watch for the positive aspects of the teams instead of finding annoying characteristics to get annoyed by and bitch about online. There are bigger problems in this world than a few curlers who don't do everything exactly the way I'd like to see it.

If curlers are good enough to get on TV, they're doing the majority of stuff right. Try to give these athletes a break. They're working really hard and trying to represent themselves, their sponsors their provinces, their countries to the best of their ability.

the thing is that not everyone is going to be liked by everyone. its the same way for all athletes and all people who choose a profession who has fans.

athletes in that sense are no different than actors or musicians. they have to accept that they arent going to be liked by everyone no matter how accomplished they are

writing a blog about online comments just comes across as whining. i would take the stance of who cares if i was her instead of taking time to write a blog about it.I mean, not everyone likes kevin martin or ben hebert and bad things have been said about them on here and you dont see them writing a blog to complain about it. just accept the fact that there are going to be people who say mean things about you but at the same time there are far more people who like you

Last edited by misty1 on 04-03-15 at 08:09AM

04-03-15 08:09AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
They have every right to NOT support ANY team regardless of whether they are Team Canada... Welcome to the world of sports and Jills Blog doesn't endear her or Team Jones by challenging their detractors

I don't think Jill was challenging her detractors at all...she was simply pointing out that words hurt. Of course you and anyone else has the right to not support Jennifer and Jill and their team. But really, do you have the right to insult them and post nasty stuff on their blogs and other forums? Didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

I'll guarantee that 95% of the posters on her blog or twitter wouldn't say the same thing directly to her face because they know it's ugly but the anonymity of social media makes them feel bold and powerful when in fact the nastiness is far more a reflection of the character of the person writing the nastiness than that of their target. It's a sad situation and it's got a name - cyber bullying.

Wasn't the civil tone of the thread nice to read and a very pleasant change from the negativity and the misogyny of so many other threads? You don't have to like everyone but surely there's something good that could be found to say about all the curlers who provide us with so much pleasure watching them.

04-03-15 09:17AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

It's the Internet. Perhaps the most important development by human beings since the printing press. But just as the press and internet are able to spread knowledge and information around the world, educating, enlightening and changing our existence, it also drags along some sludge at the bottom.

Case in point:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/o...ternet-victory/

I don't care much for Curt Schilling, and some of what he puts into cyberspace can be seen as sludge, but there is a line that can be crossed. Not certain curling posters have reached this level with the Jones rink or others, but when they do perhaps something should be done about it. Just not sure what.