M: BC Mens - Island Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Okanagan Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Lower Mainland Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
W: BC Scotties Open Event #1
W: Alberta Scotties - Qualifier 1
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Today I Right a Wrong

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-10-18 07:01PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Today I Right a Wrong

And it takes an obituary I will post after my words to complete. The subject is Errol Klinck - a guy who competed hard in Winnipeg & Manitoba curling for the better part of 4 decades, perhaps 5.

He was better known as Colonel Klinck - and for all the nicknames I have ever conjured up for curlers, builders, media, etc. that is the single best nickname EVER in curling circles.

Errol even came within a couple games of getting to the 1985 Brier - the manitoba championships degenerated into a mish-mash of no names and never weres. One of them was Errol Klinck, the Colonel. The other was eventual winner Lloyd Gunnlaugson - who pioneered a team of plus 50s into the Brier including the wily craftsman of the ice lanes, Albert "The Plasterer" Olson and Toro Suzuki who as a sidenote built my family home in the late 50s in south winnipeg.

Errol was the epitome of the roarin' game - he played not because of medals or high honours but because he loved the game. Today, I hope that the game loves him back - even if its just for a quick glance and nod to The Colonel.

Colonel never got to The Big Show. Until today. He was one of those guys who easily might be categorized a "Never Was".

But tonite the light shines brightly as we, the curling community honor the life and times of Errol Klinck. Rest in Peace, Colonel. Rest in peace!

https://passages.winnipegfreepress....KLINCK_%20ERROL

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-12-18 01:55PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

I thought you were going to delete your account.

11-12-18 03:50PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy
I thought you were going to delete your account.

so rude, after a gentlemen's obituary and certainly not called for. Just trolling.

11-12-18 08:44PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

so rude, after a gentlemen's obituary and certainly not called for. Just trolling.

Well said.

11-12-18 09:48PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Harvey Hacksmasher

I, too, see nothing wrong with ML's post. It's respectful of the gentleman's passing.

11-12-18 11:10PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

It should be added that the Colonel spared for Woody with Don Duguid and won the MCA Grand Aggregate in 1971, and won it skipping his own team in 1974. His grandfather Ozzie Barkwell skipped the first Western team to attend the Brier in 1927.

We recorded a Curling Legends Podcast in a while back...
http://curling.libsyn.com/episode-6-errol-klinck

Curled with two of his sons over the years and still good friends with both of them. One of the great characters of Manitoba curling. He will be missed.

11-13-18 12:11PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

We have a tendency to forget the legends of the game as time marches on. Thank you ML for this tribute.

11-13-18 05:22PM
Deliverer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

While it is certainly befitting to
pay tribute to fellow curlers who have passed, I do not believe this belongs anywhere in the general curling chat forum called "Rock Talk". CurlingZone did establish a forum to accommodate this specific kind of a situation: it's called "Obituaries".

11-14-18 04:15PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

I'm trying to figure out what the post has to do with the title???

11-14-18 07:17PM
Deliverer is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I'm trying to figure out what the post has to do with the title???

You are not the only one, brother.

11-15-18 02:57PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

It wasn't trolling. It was in response to the title of this thread. What wrong did he right? Once again, he tried to make something else about himself.

11-15-18 03:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

It wasn't trolling. It was in response to the title of this thread. What wrong did he right? Once again, he tried to make something else about himself.

it was rude and trolling. This is not the type of thread to nit pic on. ML posts on many threads, I am sure you could have found a different one. It is a man's obituary!

Nit picking about the title, the forum....so immature and stupid. Perhaps the heading of the thread was something to do with Errol and ML.

There are better things to do in life AND on forums than nit pick at a respectful post.

Rest in peace Errol!

Last edited by CURLER1 on 11-15-18 at 03:43PM

11-15-18 06:00PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I agree with curler 1

11-15-18 06:14PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by alex
I agree with curler 1

Thank you - something so nice can become so childish.

11-20-18 08:00PM
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

it was rude and trolling. This is not the type of thread to nit pic on. ML posts on many threads, I am sure you could have found a different one. It is a man's obituary!

Nit picking about the title, the forum....so immature and stupid. Perhaps the heading of the thread was something to do with Errol and ML.

There are better things to do in life AND on forums than nit pick at a respectful post.

Rest in peace Errol!

You still didn't explain what the title was in reference to. And it's not nitpicking or trolling. You really, really need to get a dictionary, as you don't understand what words mean.

I'll break it down for you:

ML: Today I right a wrong
Me: I thought you were going to delete your account.

Me saying I thought ML was going to delete his account was in jest as the wrong would be all of his terrible posts, and righting it would be deleting his account. It's really not hard to follow.

Rude? A little bit. Trolling? Not even close. Nitpicking? Not this time. Nitpicking would be me pointing out he didn't capitalize Manitoba and he spelled tonight wrong, but I didn't do that.

As I stated earlier, the post was to make himself feel good. I couldn't care less what your thoughts are of me. I agree there are better things to do in life, yet here we all are. If someone wants to make some jokes about my obituary after I die, I welcome them. I won't be around, obviously, but I encourage jokes and laughter. You can even make them at my expense. You can even make them about me now if you want. It doesn't bother me. It doesn't matter if you tell me to rest in peace, as I can guarantee you I won't be reading any websites after my passing. You might, but I won't.

11-20-18 08:10PM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

well, I guess you do care, bringing back a thread that has been left along for a week. Then explaining every detail to me.

11-20-18 08:12PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

I just re-read the original post and I'd like to make a correction. The eventual winner was John Bubbs, not Lloyd Gunnlaughson. Colonel was undefeated on Saturday night and was on the A side and B side final, one side was against Bubbs and I believe the other side was Ron McMillan. He lost both sides and John and Ron played in the finals. Lloyd won in 1983. Colonel famously said in the paper that maybe they should have kept drinking. Errol's team in 1985 were predominantly club curlers at that time, but they were A Group Assiniboine (back when top teams played at their club). They were into their mid-forties by then and busy with work and didn't travel to cash spiels, but they could hang with anyone. They won a city zone the following year quite handily. They were seeded 32nd in 1985 (out of 32) but it would have meant a first round game against clubmate Kerry Burtnyk, and since the MCA didn't want that, they had Klinck play Vic Peters instead. Dan Carey talks about that provincials on my podcast with him.

11-21-18 08:54AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Curler1

ML s post was written in perfect taste

You dont like ml and you didnt understand the title

Errol would have liked the tribute - too bad you spoiled the rest of the posts .. you are the troll not ml - you are the one whining

Cz shud delete the whining posts including mine and transfer the tribute to the curling obits.

I see Al Guzdal passed - another fine curler like Errol

11-21-18 09:01AM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

I never once said I did not like ML.

If you read my posts clearly, you would understand that. It was not about ML's post, it was about the comments after, that were not needed on a man's obituary.

I only said that the posts after were disrespectful to this thread.

For all he posts, I am sure another thread could have been found to trounce on him.

Merry Christmas!