: Canadan Mixed Curling Championship
M: Fort Wayne Mad Anthony CashSpiel
M: EJCT Prague Junior Mens Cup
M: The Burnt Rock Curling Co. Carp Classic
W: EJCT Prague Junior Womens Cup
M: Le Gruyere European Curling Championships
W: RCD Annual International Wheelchair Bonspiel
Pacific Time (PT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

Curling Pick'em

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-24-17 12:40AM
Junior Director is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Junior Director Click here to Send Junior Director a Private Message Find more posts by Junior Director Add Junior Director to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Junior Director
Knee-Slider

West K Closing

With the West K announcing they are closing the club and selling the building, does anyone know where the teams and rental leagues are going?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-24-17 05:51AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: West K Closing

quote:
Originally posted by Junior Director
With the West K announcing they are closing the club and selling the building, does anyone know where the teams and rental leagues are going?

O my - this is NOT GOOD.

Only curled a few times at the West Kay (mostly juniors and a couple times when I played the Winnipeg Bonspiel) but I grew up a stone's throw away from where this club currently resides.

Utility costs are thru the roof - and rising! Leagues and individual curling enrolment is down. Not a great combo - and I'm pretty sure they don't have outside parties renting ice like they used to!

Congratulations to all the fine men and women who kept this facility together against all odds. Working tirelessly, volunteer upon volunteer - until the sad finale announced by the poster above.

City taxes, utilities, compounding maintenance cost, artificial ice equipment, ice-maker and café salaries.

You guys gave it a go. For that, we all applaud you!

06-24-17 06:00AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

As far as which Winnipeg clubs will taken in the WK leagues, juniors and casuals - that's a hard one!

In the olden days, closeby clubs like the Maple Leaf, Strathcona, even Grain Exchange downtown would be the natural inheritors of the curlers.

But all these clubs have either closed, moved or permanently shut down.

The closest club is across the river into East Kildonan - at least a 4 mile drive, Norm Houck's 1962 championship club, Elmwood CC.

Victoria was only 2 miles away but closed a few years ago.

I guess the more experienced and younger teams can head downtown to the Granite CC - but I fear most curlers 60 to 85+ won't want to bother with extra travel, downtown parking, etc. when they were used to walking over to the very accessible WK, just off Main St.

I always dread these type of days - perhaps the property could be annexed by a restaurant and/or other business, cut the # of sheets down to 2 or 3 and have the facility be part of a library, hockey rink, restaurant (Boston Pizza) or other type of community facility (indoor pools are in short supply in Winnipeg)

07-08-17 12:33AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

7 km north is West St Paul CC