Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-21-15 11:41AM
sussman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sussman Find more posts by sussman Add sussman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sussman
Harvey Hacksmasher

USA-Brazil challenge teams?

So, this world berth challenge is next weekend. Have the US announced who will represent them? I am assuming one of the high performance squads.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-21-15 02:44PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

When the original announcement was about the challenge, it said it would be an HP team selected by the HP staff. I have not seen anything about which team.

Edited to add: I think team Brown is heading to Moscow the same weekend the challenge is occurring so that leaves team McCormick as the choice.

Last edited by jhcurl on 01-21-15 at 02:47PM

01-21-15 08:35PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Haven't seen anything official, but a tweet from Plys about playing Brazil tells us it will be McCormick.

My question is will they award OOM points for this in the tight race for the top of the standings?

01-27-15 10:55AM
Norse Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norse Curler Click here to Send Norse Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Norse Curler Add Norse Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norse Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Will there be any streaming of the USA-BRAZIL games?

01-27-15 12:21PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Re: USA-Brazil challenge teams?

quote:
Originally posted by sussman
So, this world berth challenge is next weekend. Have the US announced who will represent them? I am assuming one of the high performance squads.

Team USA

Skip: Heath McCormick
Vice: Chris Plys
Second: Joe Polo
Lead: Ryan Brunt
Alternate: Colin Hufman

Team Brazil

Skip: Marcelo Mello
Vice: Scott McMullan
Second: Cesar Santos
Lead: Filipe Nunes
Alternate: Raphael Monticello

http://fullgranitejacket.tumblr.com...curling-preview

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 01-27-15 at 12:31PM

01-27-15 01:09PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

If Mello draws for a point does everybody yell 'GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!" ?

...just wondering...

01-27-15 02:32PM
sussman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sussman Find more posts by sussman Add sussman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sussman
Harvey Hacksmasher

Talking Re: Re: USA-Brazil challenge teams?

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

Team USA

Skip: Heath McCormick
Vice: Chris Plys
Second: Joe Polo
Lead: Ryan Brunt
Alternate: Colin Hufman

Team Brazil

Skip: Marcelo Mello
Vice: Scott McMullan
Second: Cesar Santos
Lead: Filipe Nunes
Alternate: Raphael Monticello

http://fullgranitejacket.tumblr.com...curling-preview

heh, thanks for quoting my blog post today

01-29-15 10:11PM
livem1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for livem1 Click here to Send livem1 a Private Message Find more posts by livem1 Add livem1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
livem1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Another article on this event and the 'boys from brazil'
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/01/...hips-in-curling
(ahem, 'boys from canada')

On a related note....I think the WCF has some 'splaining to do on this graphic crafted for the event....geez, really?!
http://www.worldcurling.org/america...e-begins-friday

01-30-15 10:21AM
USAnewbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for USAnewbie Click here to Send USAnewbie a Private Message Find more posts by USAnewbie Add USAnewbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
USAnewbie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Any chance this is webstreamed?

01-30-15 12:42PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by USAnewbie
Any chance this is webstreamed?

My guess is it's about the same chance as Tiger making the cut today.

-BA

01-30-15 01:25PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Nah,

Tiger's got a better shot...assuming he hasn't teed off yet...

After all, a 58 is *possible*, which would get him under the number.

On the other hand, getting webcasting of what should be a squash match out of the WCF (they own the rights, not the USCA, as this is World Playdows) is not even remotely possible.

01-30-15 01:33PM
B Anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B Anderson Click here to Send B Anderson a Private Message Visit B Anderson's homepage! Find more posts by B Anderson Add B Anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B Anderson
Harvey Hacksmasher

Might want to check the scoreboard. Currently DFL.

-BA

01-30-15 01:36PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well, I did say "assuming he hasn't teed off yet"

01-30-15 03:32PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Perhaps instead of having "Americas" playdowns, maybe it is time for the WCF to have a B division at the worlds. This will open up the door for more Countries and perhaps encourage the growth of curling in Canada & The USA as all of those with Caribbean, South American, Central American citizenship take up the sport along with the African & Asian countries.

01-30-15 04:08PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sorry but we simply cannot, CurlerBroad. Each and every previous plan to allow access for more countries to Worlds have all included the probability that the USA would end up missing some Worlds...and then missing some valuable points towards Olympic qualification.

This must be avoided at all costs. Curling needs the USA to be at Worlds and (especially) at the Olympics. As horrid and arrogant and conceited as this may sound: International sport has trouble becoming important if it is not important in the USA...with the exception of soccer. If curling wants to rise to the level that we all hope, the USA cannot miss out on Worlds nor any Olympics.

The number of sheets used (and the number of draws per day) can play an important (and maybe overlooked) part in the math when determining who gets to Worlds and the Olympics. Putting in just 4 sheets with wide carpeted runways seems silly...even if TV likes them for some camera placements. With 5 sheets and 6 days, Worlds can easily expand to 20 teams...64 if we'd consider a triple knockout. Freezing the number at the current low for Olympic teams is just silly. There are lots of days and going to 5 sheets should be easy as pie.

The slippery slope to avoid is chasing the uncatchable goal of "Fairness". Any claim of Fairness falls short unless you have Worlds and Olympics with a dozen Canadian teams with a small handful of others. Achieving that narrow field for Fairness would be a Pyrrhic Victory (that is; a victory that costs you so much and so badly you wished that you had never gone that route).

Just some thoughts. I'm not opposed to opening access. I just fear going down a road that may be filled with unintended consequences of significant proportions.

Ben Tucker
USA

01-30-15 04:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Oh sorry Tuck, what I meant was instead of having the USA (or Canada - that's a possiblity) play some South American team and risk not going to the worlds if they don't do well at the 3 out 5 match, have a B championship for all of these countries.

I never said exclude the USA...

01-30-15 05:11PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The problems that I'm seeing with a "B" Division is that qualifications for the Worlds are already based on regional playoffs. The European Championship (sponsored by Gruyere Cheese) already has an "A", "B" & "C" division. The Pacific/Asian Championships were held a few weeks ago. China and Japan advanced (although the Koreans could make a solid point for inclusion).

Australia and New Zealand are included as the "Pacific" part-this year Kazakhstan made its Asian debut (it was a "learning" experience).

The problem with the Kiwis & Roos of course is the fact that their seasons are opposite to the rest of the curling world and I don't think that their associations have the money to send their best young rinks to Canada. If you were going to broaden the scope of the World Championships, I would think that one of those rinks would be included-or instead of putting them in with the Asian rinks, have a "Southern Hemisphere" Championship" with Brazil-most of Brazil lies south of the Equator.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 01-30-15 at 05:14PM

01-30-15 05:23PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Well, I did say "assuming he hasn't teed off yet"

It was his worst round ever-and when I say "ever" I mean in his pro career (11 over par 82-and it's pouring buckets in Phoenix-go figure). I saw some of the tournament on the Golf Channel-he looked like an absolute duffer. Instead of going to San Diego next week I think he might be going back to Florida to do some work on his game.

01-30-15 06:23PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The problem with any plan advanced so far (some looking much like where CurlerBroad is heading) is that it must come at the expense of the current field.

Phrased another way: If we start up a B championship, the winner will expect to advance to Worlds. That spot must come from an existing spot. I don't see Europe giving up any of its spots easily. Nor do I see the Pacific/Asia area giving up a spot. Where does the spot come from?

So any talk about adjusting Worlds without the first sentence being "Add more teams" is met quickly by me with fear and loathing.

My fear and loathing are not based solely in selfish patriotism. Some of it comes from a genuine conviction that Advancement of Curling Worldwide has a huge interest in Advancement of Curling in the USA.

Forgive my fear. Ignore my loathing. Try to understand, however, my quickness to confront.

Ben Tucker

01-31-15 05:21PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
The problem with any plan advanced so far (some looking much like where CurlerBroad is heading) is that it must come at the expense of the current field.

Phrased another way: If we start up a B championship, the winner will expect to advance to Worlds. That spot must come from an existing spot. I don't see Europe giving up any of its spots easily. Nor do I see the Pacific/Asia area giving up a spot. Where does the spot come from?

It's already happening Tuck. This year had the last regional juniors for junior worlds, at least for Europe and Pacific-Asia who will play down directly against each for junior worlds 2016. Fact that the Chinese boys and girls lost very close games to the Koreans for the Pacific-Asia sole slots at the 2015 world Juniors.... means next year odds are China and/or Japan... or maybe the Kiwi girls will "take" a Euro slot. Not sure if US, Canada and Brazil will also be thrown into that global junior qualifer. But it is just a matter of time for both juniors and adults to face relegation... just count the voting delegates at WCF and note how the adult Euro qualifiers for Worlds are managed now by WCF. Regions are being killed off by WCF.

01-31-15 09:01PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yeah, I hear that any nation outside of the Top 6 at Junior Worlds this year will have to go through some Qualifier next year. Czechoslovakia of someplace like that.

Expanding teams at World Juniors is a more difficult proposition as long as we keep Boys and Girls together at the same venue and at the same time.

01-31-15 09:12PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Well that was fun

01-31-15 09:40PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Looks like a 3-0 sweep puts the US where pretty much everyone knew they'd be.

It's not *official* yet (the 3rd game is still in progress), but...it would be a comeback on the order of Red Sox over Yankees in 2004 for Brazil to come back at this point.

Only it'd be more like Red Sox over the Yankees without Ortiz, and playing 7 guys on the field...