Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Look & Play Like a Pro
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

rock talk

All this talk and jibber jabber about matching the rocks at every championship, Brier, Scotties and the slams. Why don't Curling Canada and the WCF hire the Howard brothers, Kevin Martin and Jules Owchar and have them spend a few days matching all the rocks to the best of their ability, both by pairs and 8's. Then put the handles on them and leave them. This way they are matched with the only outside interference coming when they sand the rocks. Most other sports the equipment is made to exacting specifications to make it as close as possible the same for every player. Same tennis balls, soccer, football, not including Brady, even golf with the different brands still have to fall within the same specs. I realize chunks of granite can be different but if they're at least professionally matched, everyone has the same starting point.
Now the naysayers will say too bad so sad if you can't match your own rocks, but do you think the governing bodies should step in and trying to make the rocks a level playing field?

Thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-03-17 05:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Interesting idea but I like things the way they are. Realistically even at world championships, Brier, etc the good teams would still match their own rocks. As they go on tour to smaller clubs and venues the rocks are always different anyways. Matching rocks is a fundamental skill that needs to be mastered to compete on the highest levels anyways. Juniors do it, can't see why it would be provided to teams that don't know how to do it already by the time they get to a worlds or brier

Old Post 04-03-17 06:17PM
Three is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
uscgme02
Knee-Slider

I agree with Three ... good players can take advantage of "unmatched" rocks and often if you know you have one straight rock and one "cutter" - you can use that with your shot selection. The comment about other sports and controlling equipment is somewhat true, but in my mind this is closer to the wax selection and was patterns that cross country skiers use depending on snow conditions. It is one of the skills that separates the better team from the others.

Old Post 04-03-17 07:03PM
uscgme02 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for uscgme02 Click here to Send uscgme02 a Private Message Find more posts by uscgme02 Add uscgme02 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Let's suppose they have the four guys match the rocks. What next? Do the players have to use the stones in order? What happens if they don't like how they are matched, and feel something is off? As the rocks get used in play, the rocks change, and thus can become unmatched. I don't get what having four guys match rocks would accomplish.

Old Post 04-03-17 07:53PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

Of course not. Just a way to get the so-called unmatched rocks closer. Certainly the teams will still do their own matching but at least this way there is a base match to work from. I'm just asking what the rest think of this.

Old Post 04-03-17 09:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
victormlee
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Of course not. Just a way to get the so-called unmatched rocks closer. Certainly the teams will still do their own matching but at least this way there is a base match to work from. I'm just asking what the rest think of this.

I think the bigger source of potential disparity (talent aside) is the fact that some teams may be more familiar with the WCF rocks and already have a book on them. Even if adjustments are made to the rocks, that gives them a potential starting point.

Then again, one could argue this is simply a side benefit of earning one's way to the Worlds multiple times.

Because I think each person has their own <i>perception</i> of what a matched rock is, this is better left to teams to evaluate for themselves.

Let's be honest...the top teams will still find something else to blame for a less than perfect performance. :-p

Old Post 04-05-17 12:56AM
victormlee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for victormlee Click here to Send victormlee a Private Message Visit victormlee's homepage! Find more posts by victormlee Add victormlee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Swing Artist

I would assume that each persons release/rotation tendencies could slightly effect the match as well.

And as was mentioned each rock will change slightly as it goes down the sheet dozens of times.

Old Post 04-05-17 09:18AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote