Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Women's Worlds- Silkeborg

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-19 04:46AM
curlonceayear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlonceayear Find more posts by curlonceayear Add curlonceayear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlonceayear
Knee-Slider

never been a fan of Carey but as team Canada I will still cheer for (and complain about) them

to me, she doesn't have that killer "gimme that last shot in the last end to win because I am going to make it" mentality

too many wins are from other team having an off game or some badly timed misses rather than Carey firing some 5's and snatching a win from the jaws of defeat

I picked them to finish 4th or lower and it looks about right barring a miracle day

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-19 06:52AM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

You have to take 10 drinks!!

Lol. 10 ain't enough to read through all his crap. I normally just skip over his posts but for whatever reason, this time I got sucked in, and suffered irreparably for it.

GC

03-22-19 06:54AM
GreatCanadian is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GreatCanadian Click here to Send GreatCanadian a Private Message Find more posts by GreatCanadian Add GreatCanadian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GreatCanadian
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by guido

Wrong........again.

Are you surprised?

03-22-19 07:17AM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

I believe this is the first time since 1999 in Saint John where the women's Team Canada failed to qualify for playoffs. Of course back then, it was a 4 team affair rather than the 6 it is now.

03-22-19 07:33AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28
I believe this is the first time since 1999 in Saint John where the women's Team Canada failed to qualify for playoffs. Of course back then, it was a 4 team affair rather than the 6 it is now.

What a disappointment for them, for us on CZ and for all of Canada. I believe they truly tried but, lets face it, Carey just doesn't have the skill to play at the level of most of the teams. I don't dislike her or the team, I just don't think they have IT. Too bad, but they did try.

03-22-19 07:39AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28

They are still alive for a playoff spot but have to beat Denmark today. Proud of them no matter the outcome, team's accomplished a lot considering they've only been playing together since December (winning the provincials and the Scotties are the biggies) and fought to the final rock.

03-22-19 07:55AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I’m not sure how they can qualify for the playoffs, having lost to both the US and Japan. Team Carey posted on Twitter that they’re still in contention. Can someone enlighten me?

03-22-19 08:06AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

They are still alive for a playoff spot but have to beat Denmark today. Proud of them no matter the outcome, team's accomplished a lot considering they've only been playing together since December (winning the provincials and the Scotties are the biggies) and fought to the final rock.

Glad you see the world through those rose coloured glasses. Perhaps you can do a detailed report on why Carey changes team mates as often. Says a lot about her leadership style and lack of consistency.

03-22-19 08:53AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by maybo
I’m not sure how they can qualify for the playoffs, having lost to both the US and Japan. Team Carey posted on Twitter that they’re still in contention. Can someone enlighten me?

Maybe one of the other morning games that mattered wasn't quite final yet when she posted that. I've just been through it all, and I can't see a way for Canada to get in either.

As I type this, 5 minutes before the afternoon session starts, there is a single scenario where at the end of the day 4 teams are tied at 6 losses each for that last playoff spot: USA, Canada, Japan, and Germany. I finally found the formal tiebreaker rules, and they say that in this situation with more than 2 teams tied, you look at their win-loss records against each other first. USA and Germany are 2-1 and Japan and Canada 1-2, so Japan and Canada are then out. That leaves you with 2 teams tied, and then you go head-to-head, and Germany beat USA so Germany would go through.

Incidentally, getting tied with Germany is the only way that USA can miss the playoffs now that I can see. USA plays Switzerland in moments from now, while Germany has to first play Finland and then play again tonight against Switzerland. For this tie to kick in, USA must lose and Germany must win twice.

Edited to add:
Breaking news from Team Sinclair on Twitter:
Due to a minor leg injury after this morning's game when she tripped over a stone, Jamie will not be in today's lineup so we can rest her for hopefully a playoff game. Lineup is Sarah, Vicky, Taylor, Monica.

Last edited by Observer on 03-22-19 at 08:58AM

03-22-19 09:19AM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

This, from the CBC’s Devin Heroux:

“Here’s what needs to happen for Canada at worlds:
Canada would need to beat Denmark, hope U.S. loses to Switzerland, hope Japan loses final two games — and hope Germany wins final two games.
Canada, Germany and the U.S. would finish with 6-6 records, it would go to the Last Shot Draw distances, and Canada has a significant advantage over both the U.S. and Germany. “

03-22-19 09:20AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Yes, I missed that one. Those three being tied at 6-6 would create what's called an "unsolvable" tie where the records among themselves don't provide one clear winner, so then it goes to the draw shots.

03-22-19 10:38AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Finland about to put the Canadians out. Up 9-2 on Germany at halftime.

03-22-19 10:47AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

"After a tough morning on the ice, we experienced an uplifting meet and greet with local Silkeborg sixth graders. It really puts things into perspective to see their excitement in connecting and supporting us. This is what playing for the Maple Leaf is all about."

https://tinyurl.com/yxzs8jgo

Very cool of them. They get it.

03-22-19 10:58AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Very nice. More people at the meet and greet than in the arena watching the games. From what I've seen they average 80-100 fans a game. Nice to hold it in different countries to try and grow the game but what a waste.

03-22-19 11:23AM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

It is a pity. WCF doesn't seem to put too much of an effort to promote their events (outside social media) and get butts in the seat.

03-22-19 11:32AM
maybo
Hitting Paint

...and that’s it. Germany’s loss in the penultimate draw seals Canada’s fate.

Too bad about the attendance. Always been a problem in some European nations. I remember seeing about 50 people in the stands at a 7,500 seat arena in Geneva 26 years ago.

03-22-19 11:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

What a disappointment for them, for us on CZ and for all of Canada. I believe they truly tried but, lets face it, Carey just doesn't have the skill to play at the level of most of the teams. I don't dislike her or the team, I just don't think they have IT. Too bad, but they did try.

That is the best statement I have seen throughout this whole mess. A lot of funding is spent on our curling teams. I've said it before so I will say it again, in the last few years, I've noticed our Canadian women are not competing in the overseas bonspiels where the rest of the world plays. I think it would have been far more beneficial for Team Carey to have played in some of these international bonspiels then the Slams. They experience playing the teams they could meet at the Worlds and different ice conditions.

Homan and Jones used to play a lot overseas - not so much anymore.

03-22-19 11:53AM
Observer
Swing Artist

I should've said earlier "if USA beats Switzerland" then they'd have little chance of missing the playoffs.

They didn't. They've just lost, and that puts them in 7th place now. And there's no way in now. All the teams are set, and the USA is out.

Last edited by Observer on 03-22-19 at 11:58AM

03-22-19 12:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

That is the best statement I have seen throughout this whole mess. A lot of funding is spent on our curling teams. I've said it before so I will say it again, in the last few years, I've noticed our Canadian women are not competing in the overseas bonspiels where the rest of the world plays. I think it would have been far more beneficial for Team Carey to have played in some of these international bonspiels then the Slams. They experience playing the teams they could meet at the Worlds and different ice conditions.

Homan and Jones used to play a lot overseas - not so much anymore.

It has become all about the money and points. More money and points in the slams than say The Basel cup. Maybe they need a new rule whereby the top qualified teams MUST decline one slam per year. Win win. Gives other teams a shot, and may force those teams to play elsewhere, instead getting spoiled on the pristine ice every week. Lord knows the ice this week at the worlds is far from slam or Scotties ice, regardless what Russ and Vic are spewing. Politely I will say it's been tricky and ever changing, far from consistent.

03-22-19 12:35PM
Observer
Swing Artist

And which seas do you go over? All three of the Asia-Pacific teams qualified, and the other three were in Europe. The world has split the house, you could say.

03-22-19 02:13PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I feel bad for Chelsea and the whole team, I really do. They fought so hard all week when they were far from their best.

They are going to get a lot of hate thrown their way and that a shame. The reality is outside of human and Jones it's hard to see a Canadian womens team with the ability to go over and win right now. Its shocking but it's true.

These are fantastic people though and great ambassadors for the sport. I know how much Chelsea in particular will be crushed, knowing how she wanted to improve on 2016.

Obviously the week was a struggle but, looking back that missed shot for 4 against scotland will be seen as the nail that sealed their fate. They make that shot they win the game then if every other game goes the same they sit 6-5 right now and still control their own destiny.

Let me also be very clear I find it extremely unfair that should Japan lose to Sweden and Canada win there are no tiebreakers. All 3 would be 6-6 . I dont care if Japan beat both in round robin, playoffs is a different animal. Canada and the US would deserve a chance to get in

03-22-19 02:28PM
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
These are fantastic people though and great ambassadors for the sport. I know how much Chelsea in particular will be crushed, knowing how she wanted to improve on 2016.

Amen. Gutted for Chelsea, knowing how hard she takes defeat.

And — full disclosure here, I’m a fan of hers — criticism about her play is obviously fair game but some of the comments I’ve seen on social media this week are beyond disgusting.

03-22-19 02:54PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Well I think Canada’s disappointing showing has nothing to do with how we select our teams, funding, overseas experience, ice conditions, length of time together, or any other reason other than one. Sometimes you will either play poorly or the other team plays better. No matter what team we send they could have missed the playoffs. For some reason many Canadians think we have the best women’s curlers. We have some, but, based on the last 10 years we don’t have the wins to prove it. So missing the playoffs is not a far stretch. Women’s curling is not like it was in the 80’s and 90’s, the world has improved. Let’s not look at the past and try and project that scenario for the future. The past is not relevant.

03-22-19 02:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by maybo

Amen. Gutted for Chelsea, knowing how hard she takes defeat.

And — full disclosure here, I’m a fan of hers — criticism about her play is obviously fair game but some of the comments I’ve seen on social media this week are beyond disgusting.

Agree.vive gone after a few people in defense of this team over things they've said.

I sound like a hypocrite because I have a Twitter but I honestly believe social media is a curse. Twitter and instagram 2 if the worst things to ever come into being. The world would be so much better off without them. Gives every ******* a place to rant and whine with no real consequences and you know the things people are saying would never be said to Chelsea or the team in person

03-22-19 03:29PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

This CAN-DNK match is an exhibition, and yet Canada is out there playing tick shots, avoiding throwing corner guards, and pursuing blanks. I would have liked to have seen them try to turn on the style since sports is entertainment after all. Maybe the second half of the game will be better.