Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-19 03:33PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I guess also a big question is what happens to Norway without ulsrus. Without nordby the women fell off the map and never recovered. I dont think that will happen to the men. I think, unlike Germany and denmark who fell off when kapp and stock or schmidt and frederiksen retired Norway will keep top tier. What I mean is walstad is good but not on the level of mouat, edin, decruz muirhead or schaller at their best. Ramsfjell is young and untested but certainly promising and curling is in his blood. Just remains to be seen if either can keep Norway a true contender the wY trulsen and ulsrus did for so long or fall to a middle of the pack kind if team . This is the first time Norway has not had a top team ready to take over though when the current team retires

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-15-19 04:40PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
Ryan Fry is leaving Team Jacobs. Brad, E.J., and Ryan are sticking together.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/teambradja...3229?__tn__=K-R

Not a surprise to anyone. The body language and optical daggers said it all during the Brier.

03-15-19 07:19PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

If McEwen somehow secures the rights to Fry, gets Matt Wozniak at 2nd & a young calf-roper like Ngejvon they'll be near unbeatable - in Manitoba. But thats about the same as Mike & Reid now - they're kings in Manitoba - but paupers at the national level. Fry boosts them up at least a step and a half - - - might but Mikey on equal footing with Jacobs and just a half step behind the monsters - Gushue & Koe. Obviously, worth a try!

mcewen could be really good at national level if he has guys with him who buy into his game and believe in him. his performances at the brier, with the exception of his 3rd one as a skip are strong.

i think if he could refresh with a new team that supports him and believes in him then he could once again get up there among the top teams in the world.

on another note some teams/people i am curious about are :

team einarson - rumors already there that they are breaking up after this season. if they are ture who does kerri pick up?. until michelle made her announcement i thought kate cameron would make a good third for her. and val..does she return to alberta and, again, if so who does she pick up?. maybe team up with rocque.

will john morris return?., he stepped away this year from 4 person but somehow i find it hard to believe he's truly done with 4 person. somehow i wouldnt be surprised if he turned up with someone.

does bottcher stick with moulding?. no evidence to support he wont. not likely he does but i do believe he should. obviously my personal opinion on the matter is worthless to him and in general. but while darren is solid , like i said before i dont think he's strong enough for brendan to take the final step.
on the other hand(and its shocking) the talent pool for top level 3rds is shallow. so its hard to say where he could go t pick up a top 3rd that isnt already taken

03-15-19 08:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Hope Val stays in Alberta and doesn't have to fly all over hell's half acre to meet her team at events. GIve herself one more go as a competitive skip - then perhaps stick to mixed or retire.

One team she could immediately glom onto is Laura Walker's all-vet group. Val might actually fit in well with that outfit.

Her primary obstacle in Alberta will be Scheidegger but after that its pretty much a scramble. Always liked Val - all her prior teammates have got to the golden podium - except for Val herself.
Very pleasant personality - maybe too pleasant and very low-key (unlike hi-strung performers like Jones, Lawes, Cathy O, Carey, Silvernagle, etc.)

Walker has already announced her new team, sans Val.

03-15-19 09:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

AAH I see. I thought you were saying Val would team up with Walker, but rather Walker's last years team.

03-15-19 11:09PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I don't think McEwen-Carruthers are going to part ways. They've had an up-and-down season for sure, but I think people are exaggerating how "bad" it was just a bit. Are they happy with the results so far? Of course not. Is there room for improvement? Totally. Was it all bad? No.

I agree that watching them it seems like McEwen is viewed as somewhat of an interloper by the front end...not saying they don't like the guy, but there definitely is some lack of trust/lack of belief there. As for Mike and Reid, I think the issue is they're TOO nice to each other, and they have problems fitting into the back end roles in that regard. Mike skipping and throwing last seems to work better for them, but again I think both he and Reid struggle with their roles, especially mentally. That being said, these are all issues that can be fixed.

Let's not forget that Koe's previous team had a pretty "meh" first season (2014-2015), but really came out swinging the next year and over the course of the cycle won a Brier, a World Championshp, Canada Cup, a few Slams, and the Trials...yes they didn't medal last year, but they made it and finished fourth.

Anyway, my point is I see a similar situation with this team (I do think they have had a worse season than Koe's was that first year, but some of the issues are similar). They have some issues to work out in the offseason, especially with communication and the mental aspect of their game, but like I said these are things that can be fixed and I think they will do so.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-16-19 07:38AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D
I don't think McEwen-Carruthers are going to part ways. They've had an up-and-down season for sure, but I think people are exaggerating how "bad" it was just a bit. Are they happy with the results so far? Of course not. Is there room for improvement? Totally. Was it all bad? No.

I agree that watching them it seems like McEwen is viewed as somewhat of an interloper by the front end...not saying they don't like the guy, but there definitely is some lack of trust/lack of belief there. As for Mike and Reid, I think the issue is they're TOO nice to each other, and they have problems fitting into the back end roles in that regard. Mike skipping and throwing last seems to work better for them, but again I think both he and Reid struggle with their roles, especially mentally. That being said, these are all issues that can be fixed.

Let's not forget that Koe's previous team had a pretty "meh" first season (2014-2015), but really came out swinging the next year and over the course of the cycle won a Brier, a World Championshp, Canada Cup, a few Slams, and the Trials...yes they didn't medal last year, but they made it and finished fourth.

Anyway, my point is I see a similar situation with this team (I do think they have had a worse season than Koe's was that first year, but some of the issues are similar). They have some issues to work out in the offseason, especially with communication and the mental aspect of their game, but like I said these are things that can be fixed and I think they will do so.

yeah but the difference here is that reid and mike still seem to both be trying to skip the game. they've had a full season to work things out and still havent been able to do it. neither one seems to want to fully give up the skipping aspect . like i said curling with friends doesnt always work. obviously, over time if you star together for a while a team becomes friends but thats different.

the problem reid and mike have isnt easy to fix .

at least with kevin and that team there was only one skip

03-16-19 08:35AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yeah but the difference here is that reid and mike still seem to both be trying to skip the game. they've had a full season to work things out and still havent been able to do it. neither one seems to want to fully give up the skipping aspect . like i said curling with friends doesnt always work. obviously, over time if you star together for a while a team becomes friends but thats different.

the problem reid and mike have isnt easy to fix .

at least with kevin and that team there was only one skip

Very true all around. I agree, it's not going to be easy, and I don't think they can fix it on their own.

I think they can fix it, with the right help. What it's probably going to take is bringing in an objective outside party (mental coach. sports psychologist, or just a good old fashioned coach/mentor) to basically sit the team down, give them some harsh truths, tell them how things need to be going forward, and then help them work through it.

Yeah, this team has had a year to work through things and not done so on their own. That being said, the first year of the cycle is always the "trial and error" year. Besides, I think with what they can potentially accomplish as a team they shouldn't give up on it without givng it another shot. Like I said, with the right outside help I think it can be done.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-16-19 10:21AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Yet more team changes...Martin Crete’s team is breaking up...they were fun to watch.

03-17-19 03:26AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

does bottcher stick with moulding?. no evidence to support he wont. not likely he does but i do believe he should. obviously my personal opinion on the matter is worthless to him and in general. but while darren is solid , like i said before i dont think he's strong enough for brendan to take the final step.
on the other hand(and its shocking) the talent pool for top level 3rds is shallow. so its hard to say where he could go t pick up a top 3rd that isnt already taken

Fry?

03-18-19 03:30PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

I have a feeling one of the best curlers in the world will come out of a short retirement and join Jacobs.

03-18-19 04:14PM
trebendan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trebendan Find more posts by trebendan Add trebendan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trebendan
Knee-Slider

Tanner Horgan to curl out of Winnipeg now, with the Lott brothers & Doering

@TeamHorgan

03-18-19 05:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Lynn Kreviazuk has joined Megan Balsdon's rink as third for next season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/ly...d-team-balsdon/

03-18-19 05:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by trebendan

@TeamHorgan

Hmmm wonder who Jacobs will recruit

03-18-19 06:32PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
I have a feeling one of the best curlers in the world will come out of a short retirement and join Jacobs.

That's strange. I have the some feeling. With Fry moving elsewhere say to Alberta, Manitoba or Ontario, and with Horgan* curling out of the Peg, the door is now wide open in NO.

*What potential ! Happy he was either not offered the Vice position with Jacobs or he rejected it. The long term prospects with this "kid team" in the Peg is unlimited.

03-18-19 06:33PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by trebendan

@TeamHorgan

thats a surprising move. wow. team could be really good. another promising young team in manitoba

but that does leave a huge question of who jacobs will resruit.

i really hate to egg the haters on but....john morris out of retirement?

03-18-19 06:36PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

actually, i just remembered the success they had with kennedy at the canada cup.

seems to make sense that marc kennedy will be the new third

03-18-19 07:36PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
actually, i just remembered the success they had with kennedy at the canada cup.

seems to make sense that marc kennedy will be the new third

Yeah, thats exactly what I'm thinking. However, I don't believe that vice is the best position for Marc. Hmmmm. I know they did well at Canada Cup but that was a spiel. Wonder how he'll do playing full time. Curling with Jacobs would be quite a commitment.

03-18-19 08:06PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Howsabout Matt Woz? He has played with them before.

03-18-19 09:01PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

However, I don't believe that vice is the best position for Marc. .

hmmmmm

03-18-19 09:47PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

He seemed to do OK at third with Koe. Why wouldn't he do well with Jacobs?

03-18-19 09:55PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

so Marc takes some time off from a very successful team in his home province. He
has taken a position as national team program performance consultant with Curling Canada.

Does he want to join another team - out of province? Is he healed completely? He has a position at curling Canada that probably keeps him busy, along with family.

can't see it......but then again, nothing is surprising.

03-18-19 11:33PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
He seemed to do OK at third with Koe. Why wouldn't he do well with Jacobs?

I believe that Marc is/was an exceptional second. He has a great job now that allows him to spend time with his family and to also stay in the curling world. I don't believe he'll give that up, move to a new province and take up a position as vice. If he does, he will give it his absolute best which is something he has always done. Good luck Marc whatever you decide.

03-19-19 10:01AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

ALBETTS

If Kennedy were to join Jacobs, is he obligated to move to NO?

03-19-19 10:10AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
ALBETTS

If Kennedy were to join Jacobs, is he obligated to move to NO?

No. One "legal" import per team. The other 3 all live in NO.