Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Next Olympic Cycle Team Changes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-18 01:29PM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Wonder if Hannah will take Princess along as the team spare? Kinda a big insult to Muirhead - but there's probably no better curler available!

quote:
Also wonder if Team Muirhead part company with Old Glenny (Howard) as team coach.

Or perhaps Scottish Curling Federation (SCF) dictates Howard coach Flemming and bring along Eve as team spare?

Don’t think it would do anyone any good to have Muirhead there. Eve would benefit more from the rest and I doubt it would make Hannah play better to have Eve looking over her shoulder. Lauren Gray played for Hannah when they won gold at the World Juniors so that might be a good option. Or else take someone like Sophie Jackson along for the ride.

Team Fleming’s Britsh Curling-appointed coach is Nancy Smith. She coached a very young Muirhead to a silver medal at the Worlds so I’m sure she’ll do a fine job.

Last edited by skwerl on 03-05-18 at 01:31PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-18 05:01PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Don't be surprised if Eve skips Hannah's team next year a la Murdoch

03-05-18 06:03PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Bang on. And wouldn't that really tick off Fleming should they do especially well, something like say 9-3 in the RR? On the other hand, should they do poorly, I can hear her saying "if you want 'em, they're all yours!!"

03-05-18 06:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

Bang on. And wouldn't that really tick off Fleming should they do especially well, something like say 9-3 in the RR? On the other hand, should they do poorly, I can hear her saying "if you want 'em, they're all yours!!"

And then Hannah picks up the pieces, forms a new team and beats her again... a la Brewster.

03-05-18 07:25PM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Have to say I would indeed be surprised if Team Muirhead made major changes. It’s easy to point to a weak link at whatever position but are the alternatives that attractive? Fleming’s team are not an upgrade on Gray, Adams and Sloan in my opinion. Eve herself was the biggest reason they lost the playoff, gifting Hannah a big headstart in both games with draws that might not have made the house if there was a 20 ft circle.

And even if you do find someone I don’t think this is necessarily a team that would become slightly better if you swap in a slightly better player. Eve is one of the least autocratic skips around, advice is welcome from all corners and if Vicki or Anna suggest an alternative shot they invariably get to play it. You need a high level of trust for that style to work. Whatever Anna Sloan’s failings as a third I do feel that she is a good vice. It’s all too easy for Eve’s intensity to slip into frustration and Anna’s general chirpiness helps rein that in.

03-05-18 07:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

why would that happen?

03-05-18 08:14PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

why would that happen?

Interestingly of course Hannah Fleming's coach is David Murdoch's sister Nancy Smith.

If you want to get on on Scottish curling it helps to be a Smith or a Muirhead or related to one.

Getting back to Muirhead I don't see any major changes in her line up unless someone wants to quit as they don't want to do another four years.

Anna Sloan and Eve are best friends as well - it would be a bit like Jennifer Jones dropping Jill Officer......

03-05-18 08:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

why would that happen?

History tends to repeat itself. When the top team has an off year and doesn't even win the Scottish nationals, the employer picks the highest paid highest profile player and stacks the deck for their success. Backfired miserably in Murdoch's case.

03-05-18 08:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

History tends to repeat itself. When the top team has an off year and doesn't even win the Scottish nationals, the employer picks the highest paid highest profile player and stacks the deck for their success. Backfired miserably in Murdoch's case.

yeah but..i think they did that with murdoch because they thought he would make brewster's team better and , as it turns out he didn't. they had a good olympics but that's really the only good result they had together

the question would be do they think eve would be better off with flemming's team? . i don't think she would. lauren and vicki are a stronger front end . the one upgrade for eve might be at third but even that is debateable

so in the end it would be pretty pointless . for me anyway

03-05-18 09:00PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Martym

Interestingly of course Hannah Fleming's coach is David Murdoch's sister Nancy Smith.

If you want to get on on Scottish curling it helps to be a Smith or a Muirhead or related to one.

Getting back to Muirhead I don't see any major changes in her line up unless someone wants to quit as they don't want to do another four years.

Anna Sloan and Eve are best friends as well - it would be a bit like Jennifer Jones dropping Jill Officer......

the thing is that eve is very loyal. she has curled , as you said with anna for a very long time and anna is dating her brother so they are more like sisters. vicki has also been with her for a very long time and curled with her in juniors at one point. so vicki and anna are like family. lauren is the one on that team who's new.

you're right. this team did do some good things together this year. they finally won the 2nd euros and they were a few inches away from getting another olympic bronze.

i guess it just remains to be seen what kind of influence the powers that be in scotland are going to have over her. eve doesn't seem like the kind of person anymore to let them tell her who she will curl with. if changes are made it'll be because she wants them to be made and for no other reason.

03-06-18 12:14PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Carey
Wilkes
Ferguson
Brown

03-06-18 01:52PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

News out of Quebec on the Team Ménard FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Team-M%C3%...37686166334747/

Jean-Michel is not curling next year. Stepping away from the game.

03-06-18 03:54PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

there's just so much unexpected news coming in

03-07-18 05:09PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Very nice, thorough article about the future team Walker (aka Laura Crocker). Her third will be from Team Birchard - Nicole Sigvaldson - their out of province player. The front end, based in Calgary, second,
Brittany Tran and lead Heather Rogers will migrate from teams Scotland and Ramsay respectively, we would hope. CrockerWalker will be based in Edmonton. It sounds like a lot of travel and communication, but the article has a very positive tone. I wish them good curling.

Last edited by nelski on 03-07-18 at 05:55PM

03-07-18 05:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that sounds like a solid team.

03-09-18 06:14AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Very nice, thorough article about the future team Walker (aka Laura Crocker). Her third will be from Team Birchard - Nicole Sigvaldson - their out of province player. The front end, based in Calgary, second,
Brittany Tran and lead Heather Rogers will migrate from teams Scotland and Ramsay respectively, we would hope. CrockerWalker will be based in Edmonton. It sounds like a lot of travel and communication, but the article has a very positive tone. I wish them good curling.

Why mention a particular article without including a link to it, or even pointing out where it can be found?
I see you did the same thing in another thread. Very bizarre.

I did find an article on the subject (though I don't know if it's the one you referenced)... it just doesn't make much sense to describe an article without pointing to it in some way.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/la...w-alberta-team/

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-09-18 at 06:38AM

03-09-18 07:58AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I know he's been with the same team for a long time now and he might be one of the last you would expect to make changes but i have to wonder if mcewen might shake things up. we've already seen a fair number of women's teams no one saw changes coming from happen so we can't rule it out.

same thing for carruthers. as good as they've been on the cash tour they had a disappointing brier a few years ago and this year, should they once again fail to even make playoffs i could see changes coming. perhaps braeden heads back to saskatchewan. maybe reid lures dunstone back to manitoba to curl with him.

matt and john are both recently married on team epping which is part of the reason why i think changes will come from this team. might see one or both want to take a step back and not play as much.

03-09-18 03:52PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

someone else i'm wondering about is casey. on one hand i'd like to see him stick with one team for more than a season or 2 on the other hand he can't be happy with how this season went and he is an ambitious guy.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-09-18 at 03:57PM

03-09-18 06:33PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
One free agent both McEwen and Carruthers might chase is the poster boy for Curlers without boarders - John Morris.

Morris has a ton of eccentricities (to put it lightly) but he'd sure shake both Manitoba teams out of their apparent lethargy.

McEwen used to be a power curler who was mediocre at nuance - now he's not even a power curler. Carruthers was a nuance-curler who wasn't particularly strong in the power game.

McEwen is easily destroyed by a rock-position master like Gushue - or a power gang like Jacobs.

Reid has a powerful team but he lacks in certain areas.

McEwen the power curler - you do realize that at this event he still has the effects of chicken pox and has infection and liver problems as he is playing. That may be making him tired, and maybe not the player we know he can be.

03-12-18 08:35AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Let the announcements begin

03-12-18 11:56AM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Things might have changed since the end of the Olympics but John Morris stated that he is going to focus on mixed doubles going forward as he wants to lessen his time commitment to focus on work and family.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...rticle37974516/

03-13-18 09:14AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Alina Paetz and her team are splitting up.

03-13-18 12:28PM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

And the first big men's team breakup is announced as Mike McEwen's team is splitting.
https://www.facebook.com/McEwenCurl...167466569947552

03-13-18 12:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch
And the first big men's team breakup is announced as Mike McEwen's team is splitting.
https://www.facebook.com/McEwenCurl...167466569947552

Now as I told ML a few days ago wait for the announcement that Carruthers and McEwen will join up. Told by someone in the know - hope it is true.

03-13-18 01:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Now as I told ML a few days ago wait for the announcement that Carruthers and McEwen will join up. Told by someone in the know - hope it is true.

Who skips? Who are the other 2?