Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-15 06:58PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Great job on the webcast tesn team!

Hopefully the USCA team is moved to figure out how $20k can be carved out a year to make this happen. This is one event that truly can support the whole membership. Lots of Facebook advertising for the event that wouldn't be able to be done without a stream to link to.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-15 09:43PM
PriceA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PriceA Click here to Send PriceA a Private Message Find more posts by PriceA Add PriceA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PriceA
Knee-Slider

Being a very sparse poster but longtime lurker and fan, I'd like to chime in on this thread and topic.

I'm a fairly new curling fan, new as in the 2006 Winter Olympics. But I've loved watching the game explode every Olympic year since and have grown to love TESN's Nationals webcast the last few years and the outstanding job that Joe and BA provide ever year. I didn't donate in advance but would still like to chip in because it's been fantastic.

At first reading this thread and the direction it was going, I felt like maybe you should only watch unless you pay. However, as a rookie and from an area where curling opportunities aren't abundant (though it's changed here in SC thanks to Beau Welling launching out local Palmetto Curling Club), I think the webcast is important exposure to very green curlers in areas like myself in South Carolina.

Being a sports radio talk show host locally on ESPN Upstate radio, I've tried to bring attention to curling and the sport by talking about it on daily shows. Especially right now during the winter and Championship season ongoing with Nationals, Worlds, etc.

Thankfully, my co-host whose show I'm lucky to be a part of allowed us to take the show and broadcast live from Palmetto Curling Club's recent Learn To Curl night. We dedicated the entire final hour (link below to listen) of our three-hour show to talking curling, having club members and Beau Welling join us and we launched the hour with a special live interview w/ Jamie Sinclair (which was awesome thanks to Terry K).

The goal was hopefully to help our local PCC club but also bring attention to high-level curling and Nationals with Jamie joining us. All this to say, indirectly I think there's a way to promote and get more mainstream attention to curling (though my co-host kids me all the time). And hopefully TESN's Nationals coverage as well. We've tried to promote Nationals and "cheer" for Jamie thanks to hear appearance via our social media platforms.

Whenever you start somewhere it's always better than nowhere and Tuck is right in that we've got to celebrate the little victories. There's always different paths to take to the promised land. It just takes longer to navigate when first entering the forest.

Thanks for letting me weigh in on the topic. And thanks to TESN, Dean and everyone associated with the fundraising efforts to make it happen this week!

http://publishing.ramp.com/wyrdam/a...-15-hour-3.htm?

02-20-15 10:13PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

One crazy minor quibble with the webcast...

A lot of the "Hey, why not do this?" announcements, like the one for becoming an official, or the one about booking a room for the Contintental Cup, etc, were great, except for one thing.

Nothing on the ad said *How to do that*.

FOr example, the "Become an official" ad that just ran during the men's semi said what it was and how it was cool, but didn't say who to contact, or what webpage to go to, or anything.

One more sentence would fix that.

Like I said, a very minor quibble.

02-21-15 11:12PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
One crazy minor quibble with the webcast...

A lot of the "Hey, why not do this?" announcements, like the one for becoming an official, or the one about booking a room for the Contintental Cup, etc, were great, except for one thing.

Nothing on the ad said *How to do that*.

FOr example, the "Become an official" ad that just ran during the men's semi said what it was and how it was cool, but didn't say who to contact, or what webpage to go to, or anything.

One more sentence would fix that.

Like I said, a very minor quibble.

This post Alan proves that you just have a desire to be a troll. A quick google search answers the questions you raise. Lets say they told you a web address, do they need to tell you how to open a browser?

02-22-15 10:42AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Your response indicates that you have no desire to do anything other than ignore my point. And I point something out...*IF* I was a troll...since you responded derisively, I would have won, since that's the goal for trolls...

Go ahead and google search "Becoming a curling official"...I'll wait...

Guess what isn't the top link, or for that matter, anything on the first page of results? That's right...instructions on HOW TO BECOME A CURLING OFFICIAL. The closest that gets there is a job description for a level II official.

Check *every single radio ad out there* these days, they include the URL to the sponsors site. There's a reason for that, there are numerous studies out there (google em, since you have so much faith in it...) that show conclusively that the hit percentage rises by as much as 50% if you give the listener a crumb on how to take the action you want them to take.

You don't have to say "Go to Haich Tee Tee Pee Forward Slash Colon Doubleeww Doubbleew....etc, etc, etc" a simple "Get more information at USCA.ORG" would have worked (assuming there is suffecient informatio on the home page of USCA.ORG go get them going).

As I said, a minor quibble, it puts the draw to the button just full four rather than covering the pin.

02-22-15 11:49AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Alan,

Google "curling officials course" and the entire first page is all about how to become an official. Go ahead try it...

02-22-15 12:05PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

great....if you type the *exact right string* you get results...

if you type another, perfectly reasonable, string, you get no results.

if they took one second of airtime to say "go to (url) for more information (or, even "google curling officials course for more information"), then we wouldn't be having this discussion, and we'd have more officials next season (most likely...whether the classes are being taught in the needed places at the needed times isn't a matter for this thread)

Like I said...it was a *quibble*, a minor "hey, this would make it better", not a "OMG, y'all <bleeped> up".

02-22-15 02:37PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I've probably mentioned it elsewhere, but as a Canuck who's been exposed to sports from all countries the one most important factor in getting Americans to really jump on the bandwagon for a sport is WINNING. You must have both a men's & women's team that can not only compete with the Jennifer Jones' and John Morris' of the curling world-but defeat them. It won't happen overnight (barring another "Miracle on Ice") but it's vital that the Americans at least get a hearty sniff at the podium.

Instead of isolating your curlers in "High Performance Camps" (whatevertheheck that's supposed to mean), put them on the circuit, playing against the best in the business-and maybe picking up a few bucks in the process. Perhaps host a few more cashspiels in the States (North Dakota's right next door to Saskatchewan and Minny's next door to Manitoba. The best way to learn is to actually do it.

If I can give an analogy in another sport. Back in the 70's I attended Carleton University in Ottawa. About 15 years ago the basketball team (the Ravens) hired a new coach named Dave Smart. One of the first things he did was to book exhibition games against the NCAA-and I don't mean Division 2 schools-the Ravens went to Maryland, Arizona State, UCLA and Louisville among others. The first few years they were beaten, but as time went by, the margins became smaller and smaller. This year they lost to the Indiana Hoosiers, but beat Vermont, Memphis (twice), Illinois Chicago and lost a heartbreaker to Syracuse. For some reason the NCAA schools don't post these games on their websites-you'll have to trust me, but ask Jim Boeheim and Rick Pitino what they think of the Carleton Ravens. In the meantime, Carleton has won 10 of the last 12 CIS Championships.