Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-28-18 12:42PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Canada Cup

I thought I'd start the Canada Cup thread going since I have a question/observation about it anyway.

Last season, ESPN in the US carried through TSN's coverage of the major Canadian curling competitions, i.e. Roar of the Rings, Scotties, etc, using their online streaming service called ESPN3.

Since then, they've started up a subscription-only service for $5 extra a month onto which most of the sports at curling's level have been placed. It's called ESPN Plus.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard if they're going to carry through the TSN coverage again (starting with the Canada Cup), and if so, if ESPN Plus is where we now have to go to see it.

I've been searching the schedules I can find, and haven't found any indication yet that they're going to run it this season, be it on the Plus or anywhere else.

So, anyone else?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-28-18 04:49PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I haven't seen/heard anything.

I do know in years past that ESPN3 almost never had TSN curling on the schedule until right before an event started.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

12-03-18 01:34PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

ESPN update

Update: ESPN is now showing this in the schedule for ESPN3, so they didn’t move it to the Plus as I’d feared and there’ll be no extra charge after all.

One odd thing in the listings, though...for some reason Draw 2 on the Wednesday is listed for 10pm central whereas all the others are live as they happen.

12-04-18 11:09AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Canada Cup - NO DISRUPTORS so Canadian teams will make semi-finals & final.

Prediction for final 4 standing =

Homan (hottest team on planet)
Scheidegger (trying to restore order)
Kerri Einarson (hot start, trying to avoid the fade)

Laura Walker or JJ Jones - neither are the picture of stability right now. Jones is missing shots she used to make in her sleep. Walker just misses too many shots. Period.

agree homan will be there for sure and so should einarson. last spot is a toss up for me between scheidegger, jones and carey. I'm going to go ahead and pick carey .

for the men ..this is hard. im gonna go with gushue, bottcher and koe. io really want to go with darkhorse dunstone but its to hard to look past koe.

little added content:

world cup predictions:

shuster def. edin in men's (was going to go with mouat but it'll be hard for a team that young, I think to adjust and focus 100% after such a big win with so little time away from it). expect them to rebound at the national but expect them to struggle here

hasselborg def. kim in women's

nedregotten/skaslien def. park/morris in mixed doubles

Last edited by misty1 on 12-04-18 at 11:21AM

12-04-18 06:04PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I hope the have power in Estevan...heard that Southern Saskatchewan had a major blackout.

12-04-18 06:19PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I hope the have power in Estevan...heard that Southern Saskatchewan had a major blackout.

Yup it is - just when they get it going, off it goes again.

Hopefully lots of generators.

12-05-18 12:47AM
Curling1965 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling1965 Find more posts by Curling1965 Add Curling1965 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

quote:
I normally avoid watching games involving Jacobs Gang - but this week I want to see every one.

Really cheering for them in light of recent circumstances, especially with Marc Kennedy being flown in to fill the gap created by Fry's departure.

I think Jacobs, who might be the fiercest guy on the roster will be the picture of decorum as he finds a way to communicate and conduct the game with Kennedy.

Kennedy might not be as sharp as Fry due to inactivity but he'll give it his all, I'm sure. In isolation Fry might be a slightly better hitter on most occasions but Kennedy is a great nuanced draw + tap player. Both guys know the game immensely - Kennedy is the antithesis of Fry in the personality dept. - Kennedy a revered world class curler while Fry dogged by prior dirty tricks, nasty acts and now open drunkenness and bad on & off-ice behavior.

Funny little world - I'd have rated Koe & Bottcher as the #1 threats to topple the Gushue Curling Corporation but now - once Kennedy gets going, and especially if they decide to stay with him - I can see Jacobs Gang being the #1 threat.

Quite the personal attack on Fry, if I do say so myself. He’s a super nice guy, even gave my son a broom after a loss when others could care less.

If I can remember correctly, last time Fry was forced off a team he immediately went to win a Brier & Olympics... so I wouldn’t be so quick to speak on your “new favourite #1 team”.

12-05-18 09:36AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

In the States, lots of content to watch this weekend.

ESPN3
Olympic Channel
NBCSN

https://twitter.com/curlingpodcast/...968672687603712

12-05-18 10:22AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

4 minutes per end

I'm still undecided about the 4 minutes per end, but at this point I'm leaning towards not a fan.

12-05-18 02:44PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

4 minutes an end? Yikes Koe will only get 5 ends in then.

12-05-18 03:27PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:

LOL - I agree - sometimes is torture to watch him decide.

12-05-18 04:06PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

They have played under those rules at the Elite 10 and World Cup in the past. This is not the first time for timed ends.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-05-18 10:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Sheldon here, was that sarcasm?

A suggestion for both TSN and Sportsnet. Instead of having these stupid time restraints per end, or trying to stuff an 8 end game into 2 hours of television, cut the 3 MINUTE commercial breaks to 90 seconds each end. Then, split the screen the next 90 so we can watch ALL THE SHOTS EACH END, and run your extra commercials at the SAME TIME. Similar to golf showing the action and the commercials at the same time. They call it playing through. And for the 5 minute break at the 4th or 5th end break, cut it to 2. Then you won't have to have the teams play at excessive speeds to meet the program time. The sport is more important than "perceived" additional commercial time for the broadcasters. I'll stop now that I'm making sense.

12-05-18 10:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

That was me of saying I have decided I do not like the time restraints per end, let alone squeezing full games into broadcasting demands. Cover the FULL GAME or cover something else. I'm sure the curling fans in Canada will let you know both by voice and subscriptions, if you're right.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 12-05-18 at 10:42PM

12-06-18 09:08AM
Donr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donr Click here to Send Donr a Private Message Find more posts by Donr Add Donr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donr
Hitting Paint

Speaking of commercials love to see the ads for Huawei Cell Phones, the company that may be using these phones to spy on the world for the Chinese Government and whose big boss was arrested in Vancouver yesterday and will be sent to the US to faces criminal charges

12-06-18 12:21PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Is Vic Rauter planning on retiring anytime soon? Geez.

12-06-18 12:33PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Is Vic Rauter planning on retiring anytime soon? Geez.

People complain when curling is not covered - people complain when it is. Use your mute button and be happy they are televising it.

12-06-18 12:33PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere but I can't find it.

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

12-06-18 12:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Did I just see a split screen during the commercials? Wow. Did TSN read this board and heed the advice?

12-06-18 12:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

I "Think" there's an additional ladies team because the last 2 teams were so close in points they were essentially tied. It also happened at the pretrials.

12-06-18 12:55PM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Why only 7 Men's teams ?

https://www.tsn.ca/curling-season-h...tevan-1.1218554

"The fields for this event will have an odd look to them because there will be seven teams on the men’s side and eight on the women’s. Casey Scheidegger, Kerri Einarson and Darcy Robertson finished in a virtual three-way tie for the final two spots in the qualification standings last year, meaning each squad received an invite to the Canada Cup."

12-06-18 02:08PM
BG95 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BG95 Find more posts by BG95 Add BG95 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BG95
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i think vic is great

everyone on all networks doing a good job

not easy to be positive for three hours 3x a day for 5 days x 6 x a year

especially when sheidigers sweepers brush all the way and tie point then rolls out

for ml and 2 others - if not swept she ties it

Were we watching the same game? That rock needed to be swept, it over curled. Hit it more on the outside and she ties it up! Good sweeping but not good enough.

12-06-18 08:33PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Vic has always played the "Stupid Announcer" role on curling casts.

I have to admit I do enjoy Vic's "humour" at times, with the US spellcheck.... come on Gerry, but I'd rather listen to the on ice players more than the in the booth commentators. I've said it before many times and I'll say it again, less is more. PLEASE let us hear the on ice discussion of the players, with or without the cursing. There is nothing wrong with ice level silence.... let us hear the game , instead of opinions of years gone by, waaaaay by, Why do "They" think we'd rather hear Howard, Bernard, Martin, Mike I won once Harris in 98 or Joan I was on one of the best teams ever as an average player McCusker. Of all of them Martin is the most credible but has fallen into the listen to me, sportsnet makes me spew for 2 hours at a time but sorry they pay me. Shut up and let the players call and comment on the game. At the VERY END, let Vic count them up. I think he can still count. And he's still funny.

12-06-18 09:22PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Other factors in Jones vs. Homan:

Jones forces her players to play increasingly difficult shots with high degrees of difficulty. Homan generally plays a simpler, more defensive game.

Homan's training is paying off, too! Jones often pays little attention to ice conditions or swing. She simply makes more mistakes than Homan.

Line calls and weight also favor Team Homan as Kaitlyn & JJ seldom on same wavelength - creating mass confusion for front end.

Jones is now running in the 60 to 72% area - simply not good enough to take out the top teams!

no, you are right, she can't stand up to Homan - lol

I would think you would know by now, she is the best at coming back...never count her out.

12-06-18 09:35PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Other factors in Jones vs. Homan:

Jones forces her players to play increasingly difficult shots with high degrees of difficulty. Homan generally plays a simpler, more defensive game.

Homan's training is paying off, too! Jones often pays little attention to ice conditions or swing. She simply makes more mistakes than Homan.

Line calls and weight also favor Team Homan as Kaitlyn & JJ seldom on same wavelength - creating mass confusion for front end.

Jones is now running in the 60 to 72% area - simply not good enough to take out the top teams!

And she is up 8-2 over a struggling Homan...yep certainly being outplayed...not