Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Jill Officer rant on babies...

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-15-15 02:29AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

So, we agree that anyone has the right to ask anyone else any question they want, and that there are some questions that if asked reveal the questioner to be a moron. We both agree that there is a line that can be crossed that puts the questioner into moron territory, we simply don't agree on where that line should be. In other words, yes you can ask any question you want. It doesn't mean you should.

No one is trying to dictate what people can and cannot say, merely what one should and should not. And since we just agreed that there are questions that one shouldn't ask, then I don't see the problem.

Sure, people can be overly sensitive about a lot of things. That's way down on the list of why asking a woman you don't know about her reproductive plans is not cool (even if you read a blog by her where she discussed the fact that she had, in fact, reproduced before).

But, we just agreed that there are people who put social conventions aside and ask anything and that those people are morons. I'll go further and agree that they are also dickheads.

Her personal life is not our business now or ever. If we are interested she has volunteered some information. Great.
Who made the rule that you must talk about all aspects of your personal life if you talk about any of it? Why wasn't I notified? Besides, we already agreed that there are some moronic questions that should not be asked. Presumably, this is because the answers are still none of our business.

But, she didn't post details about those aspects of her personal life. She posted details about her current family. Nothing about any future family members. If this was all the same category, than surely she should expect to have to field questions about her sex life too. But, we agreed that she shouldn't because that would be moronic.

I, of course, have not - and do not - agree with anything you're writing on this subject.
But thank you for revealing yourself as practicing the typical desperate, agenda-driven manipulation that 'political correctness' is so well known for.

Now go and continue sucking up to Jill and your other heroes and heroines - hurry, the weekend's almost over...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 11-15-15 at 02:35AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-15-15 09:19AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

I, of course, have not - and do not - agree with anything you're writing on this subject.
But thank you for revealing yourself as practicing the typical desperate, agenda-driven manipulation that 'political correctness' is so well known for.

Now go and continue sucking up to Jill and your other heroes and heroines - hurry, the weekend's almost over...

I'm just glad that there are people like Peteski assisting at these Slams and for correctly pointing out the difference between rude questions and "politically correct".

11-15-15 09:26AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Can't we just drop this subject. What does this have to do with a curling forum. Enough already please.

11-15-15 01:01PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

I'm just glad that there are people like Peteski assisting at these Slams and for correctly pointing out the difference between rude questions and "politically correct".

I'm not Pete Steski, but thanks anyway.

11-15-15 01:04PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm not Pete Steski, but thanks anyway.

Sorry for the incorrect assumption!

11-15-15 01:13PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

quote:

Indeed, anyone has the right to ask anyone else any question they want. As I said before - we all have the right to ask questions - whether those questions reveal the person asking to be a genius or a moron. And the other party has a right to respond to the question or not.

You cannot square these points. I totally agree with the second quote and it is the basis for everything that I said we agree upon. Your argument is lacking. Sorry if you think pointing that out is sucking up.

11-15-15 08:43PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

You cannot square these points. I totally agree with the second quote and it is the basis for everything that I said we agree upon. Your argument is lacking. Sorry if you think pointing that out is sucking up.

Anyone who believes that is what you did is either just as manipulative as are you, or is lacking in intellect.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-15-15 08:46PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
Can't we just drop this subject. What does this have to do with a curling forum. Enough already please.

You don't have to read this thread if you don't like it, just ignore it.

11-15-15 09:08PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

Anyone who believes that is what you did is either just as manipulative as are you, or is lacking in intellect.

I notice you haven't told me where I mischaracterized our agreement.

11-17-15 02:49AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:

I notice you haven't told me where I mischaracterized our agreement.

Heh... It seems that you're accustomed to having people take your bait.
You'd have needed to come up with much better bait, though, for me to bite.

11-17-15 08:05PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

If you want to be private ........ be private. Dont go crying to the press when you get your shorts in a knot.

11-17-15 09:39PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Exclamation Yah

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
If you want to be private ........ be private. Dont go crying to the press when you get your shorts in a knot.

or your panties..

11-18-15 09:44PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Personally, I fail to understand Officer's dislike of the question. After my son was born we were frequently asked when and if we were going to have more kids. We never found the question annoying or rude. However, she is perfectly within the right to have her own opinion on the topic.

But I think its fair to add a caveat here. By taking her opinion to the blogosphere, Officer opens up a huge can of worms.

If she wishes to make her feeling known publicly-again her total right to do so-then she must accept the fact that not every one will agree with her and because she uses social media to voice her opinion she must then be willing to take whatever feedback it generates without complaint.

In short, if you don't want to read a potential backlash, then don't write the blog. You can't have it both ways.

11-18-15 10:05PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Personally, I fail to understand Officer's dislike of the question. After my son was born we were frequently asked when and if we were going to have more kids. We never found the question annoying or rude. However, she is perfectly within the right to have her own opinion on the topic.

But I think its fair to add a caveat here. By taking her opinion to the blogosphere, Officer opens up a huge can of worms.

If she wishes to make her feeling known publicly-again her total right to do so-then she must accept the fact that not every one will agree with her and because she uses social media to voice her opinion she must then be willing to take whatever feedback it generates without complaint.

In short, if you don't want to read a potential backlash, then don't write the blog. You can't have it both ways.

I think she is and has been prepared for potential backlash on the subjects of her blog. For example, the blog in question has opened up the subject of what personal questions people in her position should have to field. She has to be open to the fact that people will be critical of her position.

What it shouldn't mean is that she should have to face criticism on topics she hasn't discussed (like how many children she should have) or have to field any question on her personal life (like how much sex she is having) just because she has discussed some aspect of it.

Just to be clear, I realize no one has suggested that she should be prepared to answer questions about her sex life, my point is only that just because she talks about something personal doesn't mean she should have to talk about everything personal.

11-19-15 07:00AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Enough already

Two weeks later..
Maybe public figures can learn to directly refuse a discussion without creating a huge blog about it ..

ANY question is people's right.. how the public-figure deals with those questions is all part of the game...

By the way.. for someone who thinks having a baby is "personal"..

Jill seems to think its ok to use the following language

quote:
Who really says they enjoyed pushing an eight-pound watermelon out of their hoo-ha?

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-19-15 at 07:50AM