Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-12-15 05:40PM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

In your opinion, who are the stakeholders? Sponsors? or Warren?

I love how people think Warren runs the show and calls the shots. If you knew how Curling Canada was structured, you'd know they are a member based organization and all decisions are motioned by and passed or defeated by votes by the 14 member associations. Warren has input, but by no means does he have the authority to change structure, bylaws, operation, etc.

I will say, once the show is going, Warren controls it...no questions asked, he likes things done a certain way. But we're talking how people hold banners, which order they march, who speaks during opening/closing ceremonies, etc. Not if and when pre-qualification happens, or Team Canada existing, etc.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-12-15 06:03PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014

I love how people think Warren runs the show and calls the shots. If you knew how Curling Canada was structured, you'd know they are a member based organization and all decisions are motioned by and passed or defeated by votes by the 14 member associations. Warren has input, but by no means does he have the authority to change structure, bylaws, operation, etc.

I will say, once the show is going, Warren controls it...no questions asked, he likes things done a certain way. But we're talking how people hold banners, which order they march, who speaks during opening/closing ceremonies, etc. Not if and when pre-qualification happens, or Team Canada existing, etc.

Sigh............yes, this was my point about 3 pages ago, everyone who is upset about relegation are going after the wrong people.

Talk to the Provincial associations, and if they won't talk to you, well, then there is a problem with the association. Make change, vote them out, run yourself, convince other association members to follow, now that could affect change.

Protesting with signs and (laugh) sending letters to the Prime Minister is noble, but pointed at the wrong direction. Boycotting major sponsors is not the solution also. If you want to make a point, so be it, if you want to make change, you need a much bigger base and a much better and more strategic approach. Explain how 5 sheets can not just be accomodated, but how you are going to be able to have fans who sit low, see the games? How are tv and photographers able to do their jobs, when they are unable to move around. Explain to TSN why having more teams is better for ratings, interest etc. How is this going to help generate more revenue. Are more fans REALLY going to go to the the Brier if Yukon is there or Nova Scotia or BC in the ladies and if so, how many more? If the answer is 10-50, then you have your answers before you start. My experience has been, diehards are going regardless and it has been planned for some time, friends and families of competing teams will go if they can, so I'm not sure how not being guaranteed a spot really has a significant impact on numbers. But if you can get people from Nova Scotia, as an example, to commit to going to the next Brier if relegation is changed, by ponying up a downpayment on tickets for example, then you have an economic reason.

I'm not sure you can, but THAT is the approach that is required, not having 100 people in the stands with banners stating "say no to relegation ,BOOO." . Just stating it is well, a bad idea.

However, with that being said I still have no issue with relegation at these 2 events, for the reasons Gerry pointed out earlier and have been stated before.

Last edited by Borough Boy on 03-12-15 at 06:10PM

03-13-15 12:46PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

I'm just going to ask this as part of the debate, but is the Relegation system showing results already in what it's intended to do?

PEI's Adam Casey saw relegation as a bad thing for his province, but instead of giving up he built a team to travel and compete like the elite teams in the game do.

Was part of his success in using the hatred for relegation as a way to generate interest in what doing? Could it have been due to relegation?

There's a huge opportunity here for Nova Scotia teams to ride the wave of disgust over the system and use it to fundraise to be the team to get Nova Scotia back into the Brier. Put together a plan, go out and get some sponsorship.

A funding campaign would likely also have a chance to be very successful to raise some money and build a competitive schedule similar to what Casey did.

The Brier is not where you get "experience" to get better. It's the National Championship. If you're not out playing games all year and getting challenged, you're falling behind. 11 games on that ice is not enough to keep up with teams playing 60-100 games a season under highly competitive conditions.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-13-15 12:47PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by decade

In your opinion, who are the stakeholders? Sponsors? or Warren?

Sport Canada, Television, Sponsors, Member Associations

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-13-15 01:20PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Everyone is missing the point its not about Nova Scotia its about any team that gets relegated Nova Scotia will get out of this so next year it will be 2 or 3 others in the same boat. On the ladies side I could not imagine BC not being in the Scotties next year but that could happen one bad game is all it will take. This is a National Championship this is what we are fighting for.

03-13-15 01:49PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Not Happy
Everyone is missing the point its not about Nova Scotia its about any team that gets relegated Nova Scotia will get out of this so next year it will be 2 or 3 others in the same boat. On the ladies side I could not imagine BC not being in the Scotties next year but that could happen one bad game is all it will take. This is a National Championship this is what we are fighting for.

It seems to me that you are fighting for one format for a national championship which you prefer over another format for a national championship which you dislike.

The current format still gives a path for a team from any province and territory to win, every year. The current format is still a national championship.

03-13-15 02:24PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

The brier/ scotties should be represented regionally.
1. Team Canada
2. Host province
3. 5 from the west including NWT/ T
4. 5 from the east including Nunavut

You could still have provincials and send 2-3 teams to the pre- brier/ Scotties to fight out who represents the region.
You still have a chance to represent your province, and the brier/ Scotties would be more competitive.

No relegation. If you're good enough you go, if you're not, you don't.

Last edited by guido on 03-13-15 at 02:26PM

03-13-15 03:47PM
Not Happy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Not Happy Click here to Send Not Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Not Happy Add Not Happy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not Happy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sorry makes no sense what are you smoking it must be good stuff trying to make the Brier something its not.

03-13-15 04:00PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Sorry makes no sense what are you smoking it must be good stuff trying to make the Brier something its not.

As I figured. If it's not you're opinion , it's wrong.
You do know that the brier was NOT originally bound by any provincial lines????

03-13-15 08:14PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
The brier/ scotties should be represented regionally.
1. Team Canada
2. Host province
3. 5 from the west including NWT/ T
4. 5 from the east including Nunavut

You could still have provincials and send 2-3 teams to the pre- brier/ Scotties to fight out who represents the region.
You still have a chance to represent your province, and the brier/ Scotties would be more competitive.

No relegation. If you're good enough you go, if you're not, you don't.

Regional representation is how the Allan Cup works which is the national championship for senior mens hockey in Canada. Does this mean it's not a national championship? There is no other Canadian national championship that gives each of the provinces and territories equal representation. They have other options to avoid relegation but have looked at them and passed on them, it's not like relegation was the first and only proposal it's the one the MA's agreed on.

03-14-15 08:30AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

LOL - obviously it makes no sense because it's not what you "Not Happy" want. Or perhaps it really is just a case of lack of education on this subject matter.

I love how the World's that are being played now don't involve all world nations...how can it be considered the World Championship without all countries there?! Blasphemy. Do you see how crazy it seems to have all countries at the World's. Exactly.

03-14-15 09:11AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

I am joining the boycott of World Curling Championship sponsors. In the short term I refuse to fly on Aeroflot Airlines, wear Edox Swiss watches, and I will not purchase any products from Luzerno and Zen-Noch.

03-14-15 11:56AM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I've been in those meetings. Trust me. The Big "W" runs the whole thing.

03-14-15 01:53PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
I am joining the boycott of World Curling Championship sponsors. In the short term I refuse to fly on Aeroflot Airlines, wear Edox Swiss watches, and I will not purchase any products from Luzerno and Zen-Noch.

Oh man. I am weakening. I will follow your lead!!!

03-14-15 02:20PM
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

I just heard through the grapevine that NS curlers met with one of Curling Canada's board of governors and some representatives from the Nova Scotia Curling Association. Talk wasn't so much about relegation, while not happy with it, they seemed to understand why it is in place to some extent, but more people were angry with the NSCA's lack of leadership and planning and how NS has fallen to this state nationally.

Interesting. And seemingly in line with what we (the people who understand this topic) have been saying. The problem is with the provincial and territorial associations to do what it takes to get more people curling, to get more curlers competitive, to get the competitive curlers better. NS needs high performance camps. NS needs arena ice conditions to practice on. NS needs its provincial championships on arena ice.

Seems likes this whole crazy idea may actually go from ugly, to a positive change for curling. I for one, have said this the whole time.

03-14-15 02:56PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger

I've been in those meetings. Trust me. The Big "W" runs the whole thing.

Absolutely correct. Been there as well.

03-14-15 03:30PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
... In the short term I refuse to fly on Aeroflot Airlines ...

I have never flown on Aeroflot and I'm doing fine. So I think you've made a good decision.

03-14-15 04:35PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Par

I have never flown on Aeroflot and I'm doing fine. So I think you've made a good decision.

Probably a good choice seeing how it has a separate wiki page for crashes and accidents. That and it's Russian.

03-15-15 02:43PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I just heard through the grapevine that NS curlers met with one of Curling Canada's board of governors and some representatives from the Nova Scotia Curling Association. Talk wasn't so much about relegation, while not happy with it, they seemed to understand why it is in place to some extent, but more people were angry with the NSCA's lack of leadership and planning and how NS has fallen to this state nationally.

Interesting. And seemingly in line with what we (the people who understand this topic) have been saying. The problem is with the provincial and territorial associations to do what it takes to get more people curling, to get more curlers competitive, to get the competitive curlers better. NS needs high performance camps. NS needs arena ice conditions to practice on. NS needs its provincial championships on arena ice.

Seems likes this whole crazy idea may actually go from ugly, to a positive change for curling. I for one, have said this the whole time.

I highly doubt your statement that you're 'one the people who understand what's happening' thats pretty arrogant and condescending.

The truth is you are likely someone with a vested interest in relegation or a CCA employee. BTW, the whole 'rebranding' to Curling Canada? Laughable and another huge waste of money. How much did you pay for that? It's about as stupid as renaming the NHL Hockeying National!

Back to the topic, why, I want to know, do all you pro relegated have no response to the simple idea-already proven-of 5 sheets? Of 13 teams?

Simple, because you would have to admit you were wrong and clean up your mess.

03-15-15 02:58PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

I highly doubt your statement that you're 'one the people who understand what's happening' thats pretty arrogant and condescending.

The truth is you are likely someone with a vested interest in relegation or a CCA employee. BTW, the whole 'rebranding' to Curling Canada? Laughable and another huge waste of money. How much did you pay for that? It's about as stupid as renaming the NHL Hockeying National!

Back to the topic, why, I want to know, do all you pro relegated have no response to the simple idea-already proven-of 5 sheets? Of 13 teams?

The re brand was done by the government to be bilingual, just like Hockey Canada, Rugby Canada, Soccer Canada and ect.

03-15-15 03:17PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Love people coming to the party late, go back about 30 posts, Gerry explained its not feesable due to lack of viewing for paying spectators with seats that are low, makes tv almost impossible. Or at the very least , would not be up to par with what we have become used to.

Those are just off the top of the head. And to be clear I have no vested interest in cc, in fact been on the other side of many debates AGAINST them,

Last edited by Borough Boy on 03-15-15 at 03:19PM

03-18-15 05:55AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Love people coming to the party late, go back about 30 posts, Gerry explained its not feesable due to lack of viewing for paying spectators with seats that are low, makes tv almost impossible. Or at the very least , would not be up to par with what we have become used to.

Those are just off the top of the head. And to be clear I have no vested interest in cc, in fact been on the other side of many debates AGAINST them,

Seriously, how many seats are we talking about here? Its not like the round robin is sold out and the affected seats would be left unsold. By the time the playoffs roll around, its not an issue.

Don't the Slams have five sheets and broadcast their games? Again, when the playoffs roll around, adjustments can be made to make enhance TV viewing.

These seem like minor concerns compared to exclusion of your members in its premier event and fundamentally changing a national institution.

I have not heard any kind of compelling argument regarding the competitive level of the event or that Canada is losing ground due to less than elite teams at the Brier.

How about 13 teams or a two pool system? Both would not require a major logistical shakeup, or a longer event, or 5 sheets and would not keep the players from mingling with the fans.

Last edited by Ventry on 03-18-15 at 06:04AM

03-18-15 06:13AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i think the reason i am against relegation is because i dont like the way the pendilum is swinging towards a totalemphasis on winning and money for a few...

dont care much about the worlds or olympics any more for that reason... but i do enjoy new faces and underdogs winnining ...

in the Masters i usually cheer for the low Amateur...

700,000 curlers. vs 36.

this has been my opinion for about 60 years.. not that much has changed. ... enjoyed watching the brier then ... still do

I agree. I would like to "Own the Podium" as much as anyone else but not at the expense of promoting participation and inclusion. I would much rather see government funding go to making sports accessible than to a few individuals. I would rather be known as the healthiest and most active country in the world rather than having won the most medals.

03-18-15 06:35AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

Seriously, how many seats are we talking about here? Its not like the round robin is sold out and the affected seats would be left unsold. By the time the playoffs roll around, its not an issue.

Don't the Slams have five sheets and broadcast their games? Again, when the playoffs roll around, adjustments can be made to make enhance TV viewing.

These seem like minor concerns compared to exclusion of your members in its premier event and fundamentally changing a national institution.

I have not heard any kind of compelling argument regarding the competitive level of the event or that Canada is losing ground due to less than elite teams at the Brier.

How about 13 teams or a two pool system? Both would not require a major logistical shakeup, or a longer event, or 5 sheets and would not keep the players from mingling with the fans.

An extremely contradicting argument, you don't want to exclude teams through relegation yet only having 13 teams when there are 15 teams now competing is fine. Your idea is still excluding teams. As for the 5 sheet issue Gerry did explain it very well, go back and read his post.

As for having a healthy competition instead of owning the podium I'm pretty sure Canada is the deepest curling nation in terms of winning and the number of competitive teams.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 03-18-15 at 06:41AM

03-18-15 08:23AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

An extremely contradicting argument, you don't want to exclude teams through relegation yet only having 13 teams when there are 15 teams now competing is fine. Your idea is still excluding teams. As for the 5 sheet issue Gerry did explain it very well, go back and read his post.

As for having a healthy competition instead of owning the podium I'm pretty sure Canada is the deepest curling nation in terms of winning and the number of competitive teams.

If Nunavet wants to compete in the Brier, which I'm not sure they do at this point, then go with a two pool system if a round robin is not feasible. IMO, having a Team Canada is OK as long as it doesn't mean other teams are excluded from the Brier.

I think four sheets can work or can be made to work if games were 8 ends and four draws a day were held (for a two pool system where teams would play only twice a day.