Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 3 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-24-14 09:47PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Curling Summit

Any gossip from the CCA's curling summit? My club saw fit to send paid staff rather than any curlers...is the summit worth the money or should efforts be better spent elsewhere? Lolar what's your opinion?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-25-14 12:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Interesting points ML...I am hoping that the summit focusses on the grassroots rather than the elites. They seem to be doing ok but I am not sure about curling at the club level.

08-25-14 03:54PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The more interesting meeting will be in Reno when the WCF members congress gets together. There will be a lot of rule changes voted on for the next quad. Possible changes to the DSC and LSD along with tie breakers changes. Some of the rule changes will take effect this year, others will be delayed.

08-26-14 10:03AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Re: Curling Summit

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Any gossip from the CCA's curling summit? My club saw fit to send paid staff rather than any curlers...is the summit worth the money or should efforts be better spent elsewhere? Lolar what's your opinion?

Our club sent paid staff as well, not supported by me of course!

It is a chance for CCA to spend their lavish expense accounts and get in some free golf at Niagara Falls during the main tourist season and most expensive time. You can rent Niagara Falls in the off season for pennies but what the heck, clubs and government grants keep CCA's treasury flowing and CCA staff need a break, right?

It's also a great chance to spread CCA propaganda and rein in the fold with their usual BS.

I wonder if they apologized to all of Ontario for banning us?

I find it interesting that they cut money from the club grant program but found enough to finance this vacation for themselves.

08-26-14 05:52PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well I guess we are curling in the off season, so golfing in Niagara might not be feasible. Hopefully our club's paid staff will provide a report on the happenings. Looks like lots of talk about making curling accessible, cool and removing the word club and replacing it with centre.

08-27-14 04:09PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Well I guess we are curling in the off season, so golfing in Niagara might not be feasible. Hopefully our club's paid staff will provide a report on the happenings. Looks like lots of talk about making curling accessible, cool and removing the word club and replacing it with centre.

Wow...what a brain child...that should triple memberships!!!! Makes the whole cost worth while!

Now if only CCA could come up with an add campaign like people pouring ice water over themselves, filming it and sending money at the same time just to do it.....naaa...that would never work...people just are not that gullible....

08-27-14 04:14PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I forgot - a session on how to get more people to be roadkill - I mean enter competitive curling competitions...Lolar I thought for sure you would join in the golf.

08-28-14 10:31AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
I forgot - a session on how to get more people to be roadkill - I mean enter competitive curling competitions...Lolar I thought for sure you would join in the golf.

I don't think I would want to be around the CCA/OCA people with a club in my hand! Never golfed in my life actually.
I was more into contact sports.

If the clubs ran it I would have gone but I won't put a penny into anything CCA or OCA.

08-28-14 01:20PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I may have to sue you for plagiarism Curlerbroad. Or worse, I could send the very intimidating (but totally ineffective) Warren Hanson after you. Your choice!

Hansen of course! From a few photos I saw, looks like everyone had a fun time.

I just hope that something comes out of this. While getting kids from non-white demographics to do pretend curling in the gym is nice, I would love to see a National (or even Provincial) program to get them and their parents on the ice.

08-29-14 07:08AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

It's sad to read all the negativity as the curling community comes together to work on growing the game in Niagara Falls. You want more accountability from the CCA and administrations, yet admonish them for openly meeting with the club managers who make the game better by working at the grassroots level.

You can't have it both ways. There's nothing more open and transparent than meeting face to face in a public forum.

The CCA has their administrative Annual General Meeting, and this year, they've run it together with the first ever CCA Curling Summit where presenters in many areas of expertise were brought in to discuss how we can do better at growing our sport.

75 Clubs were represented across Canada and even a few from the USA to share ideas on what works and learn more about attracting and retaining members. The idea sharing is what will help grow the sport as there is no magic bullet solution, but hard work and collaboration.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

08-29-14 11:24AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It is too bad that anyone who did attend the summit provide some updates, the updates on twitter weren't as detailed (JMO) and a bit meaningless.

I would like to see what came out of the discussions. I guess I am a bit miffed as my club decided to send paid staff instead of some of their more active curling volunteers. I would have had to decline due to some work commitments but there were some other club volunteers who would have really benefited.

That is more where my negativity is coming from rather than directed to the summit itself - one of the paid staff doesn't even curl!

08-29-14 04:25PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

There was a mix of volunteers and paid staff at the Summit. There was nothing restricting anyone from attending the event.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

08-29-14 05:09PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

75 Clubs represented out of how many in Canada? To quote the OCA website there are around 200 clubs in Southern Ontario alone. 75 out of Canada is pathetic!

Why was this summit held in the summer when most clubs are dormant? Why was it held in one of the most expensive places in Ontario, in the summer peak tourist season? Most normal people are also on vacation not attending summits!

Hold this same thing in September or April, somewhere like Hamilton (not a tourist town) and interest may be up and costs way down, but then what does CCA or OCA know about club operations except where the cheques come from. Of course cost is not an issue when the feds give you millions each year.

As to bringing curlers together, yea, CCA showed how important that is to them by suspending Ontario curlers for no published reason a few months earlier! Now we should all come together and sing cum.by.ya?

I suspect this had more to do with a paid vacation for the CCA boys than any real dialog on promoting curling or they would have put some money in some real promotion ads that clubs could use and held it when clubs may actually attend.

Gerry, I respect you and your opinion but please don't try to spin doctor this as an attempt by CCA to bring together a coming of the minds. There is too much evidence to the contrary!

Last edited by lolar3288 on 08-29-14 at 05:17PM

08-29-14 06:42PM
jt1970 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jt1970 Click here to Send jt1970 a Private Message Find more posts by jt1970 Add jt1970 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jt1970
Knee-Slider

So glad I attended Summit

As a Curling Club volunteer board member, who registered and attended the CCA Summit on my one volition, I can attest a well-run and successful inaugural Summit.

The sessions were well rounded and thought provoking - with a recurring theme on member recruitment and retention both at the grassroots and competitive levels. There was little focus on the elite level of curling during sessions - but an inspiring tribute to our Olympic and Paralympic athletes on Tuesday. The tribute also did a great job of tying together the goals of the Olympian with the goals of clubs. Great to be part of a group of people who share a passion for curling and health of the sport.

The timing of the summit was great. It was held in time for me to bring back fresh, new ideas to the Board that I sit on.

Anyone, was able to register this year - a trend which I hope is continued if the Summit is to continue for years to come.

I found the format attracted attendees who are inspired and creative thinkers, eager to provide the best opportunities to grow their sport.

Well done - and onto a great season.

Good Curling!!!

08-29-14 07:54PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Well not being there I can't comment on the content, but with less that 10% of the clubs in Canada represented, well that speaks volumes to the success and the timing! I'd call it at best an expensive flop!

08-30-14 01:58PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Well not being there I can't comment on the content, but with less that 10% of the clubs in Canada represented, well that speaks volumes to the success and the timing! I'd call it at best an expensive flop!

Considering the costs of travel and this being the first year of the event, 10% is a great response to get for an event like this. I met people from all across the country interested in growing the sport. Coming together and sharing ideas on how to save costs, generate revenues and increase exposure for the sport in their communities.

You whine the CCA doesn't do anything for the clubs, and they put on this event. You come up with ridiculous excuses, being it's in the summer, but do you think curling people can get away from their clubs in season?

All you do is talk crap, being so close to the event you could have come down for a day to see it for yourself. You would see how hard these people behind the scenes work for the sport. Unfortunately you're too chicken to do so and just want to launch grenades from your hole in the ground.

Honestly, people like you are the problem in building the sport. We really do need to Eliminate The Dinosaurs...

08-31-14 07:49PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

Well this dino has done multi-million dollar projects so I just may have a touch of the old business sense left.

CCA put on? Seems to me, as I remember, that it was at a cost to the club or individual to attend, so they may have organized it but the clubs paid for it via their dues and a fee to go.

Have you guys got your heads so far in the sand you don't realize how financially poor many clubs are? As to paid staff attending, they were generally sent as a gesture because the real decisions, and you should know this as well, are made by the board of directors that are usually all volunteers (likely on vacation).

A capital fund is just dream for many clubs. Any additional program for promotion and advertisement takes money, time and expertise two of the three, clubs have little of. Problem is even curlers have unreasonable expectations when it comes to the cost of curling, for a decent financial plan many clubs would need to double membership dues, but that is another issue.

Let me put this as simply as I can by example.
The corner store doesn't advertise cereal they sell it. They are not big enough or financially strong enough to put on a provincial ad campaign, but the national distributor is so they do the national advertising and the corner stores benefit from that with increased sales which in turn benefits the cereal industry, hence the distributor. How come this simple model defies the CCA and OCA?

As to being too chicken to attend, a bit of a childish statement, I, like 80% of Canadians who live in a country with four months of summer, was vacationing probably another contributing factor to the lousy 10% attendance.

I will come and debate the issues when I am not asked to pay for the privilege and when OCA/CCA put together and finance an advertising program instead of just telling the clubs what they should do.

If you want to talk to me about it reach in your pocket and come to the Howard Team curling camp. I will be there.

08-31-14 08:27PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

It would have been great to have some live web casting of the summit. Sadly I think 80% of the curlers at my club didn't even realize this was going on. Too bad there wasn't some media coverage. I would like to know if any interesting debates happened?

As Larry noted, most clubs can't afford promotion & marketing campaigns, but it would be great of there was a national or provincial strategy. The only time we see curling ads is during curling - how about ad spots during other popular shows.

08-31-14 09:01PM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

CB--I understand that those who attended received a usb key with the presentations on it. If you know someone who attended (or contact your club's paid staff that did attend) you maybe able to get one and have a look.

ML, I try to focus on policies not individuals. I do not know or can ever remember meeting Mr. Hansen so I would not comment on him specifically as it just would not be fair.

08-31-14 10:04PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Well this dino has done multi-million dollar projects so I just may have a touch of the old business sense left.

CCA put on? Seems to me, as I remember, that it was at a cost to the club or individual to attend, so they may have organized it but the clubs paid for it via their dues and a fee to go.

Have you guys got your heads so far in the sand you don't realize how financially poor many clubs are? As to paid staff attending, they were generally sent as a gesture because the real decisions, and you should know this as well, are made by the board of directors that are usually all volunteers (likely on vacation).

A capital fund is just dream for many clubs. Any additional program for promotion and advertisement takes money, time and expertise two of the three, clubs have little of. Problem is even curlers have unreasonable expectations when it comes to the cost of curling, for a decent financial plan many clubs would need to double membership dues, but that is another issue.

Let me put this as simply as I can by example.
The corner store doesn't advertise cereal they sell it. They are not big enough or financially strong enough to put on a provincial ad campaign, but the national distributor is so they do the national advertising and the corner stores benefit from that with increased sales which in turn benefits the cereal industry, hence the distributor. How come this simple model defies the CCA and OCA?

As to being too chicken to attend, a bit of a childish statement, I, like 80% of Canadians who live in a country with four months of summer, was vacationing probably another contributing factor to the lousy 10% attendance.

I will come and debate the issues when I am not asked to pay for the privilege and when OCA/CCA put together and finance an advertising program instead of just telling the clubs what they should do.

If you want to talk to me about it reach in your pocket and come to the Howard Team curling camp. I will be there.

I know all you got is excuses. Lots of complaining and no ideas. It's a good thing the National organization is working to bring people and ideas together.

1. Many effective marketing programs are free with volunteers putting in the time or low cost options. Social media, community outreach and putting together booths are events. Curling isn't like cereal, you have to promote it and let people know the club exists in your own community.

2. Warren Hansen is Director of Events. If either you or Legend decided to do some research, you'd realize it's not his role within the organization.

08-31-14 10:05PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
CB--I understand that those who attended received a usb key with the presentations on it. If you know someone who attended (or contact your club's paid staff that did attend) you maybe able to get one and have a look.

ML, I try to focus on policies not individuals. I do not know or can ever remember meeting Mr. Hansen so I would not comment on him specifically as it just would not be fair.

Here is the dropbox link with the presentations:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rblb6nb...HBv2ksuKba?dl=0

09-01-14 11:46AM
tomsephton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomsephton Click here to Send tomsephton a Private Message Find more posts by tomsephton Add tomsephton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomsephton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks for posting the link Gerry! Some great presentations here from the Summit and information that we can all use in our home clubs and provinces.

09-01-14 02:17PM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

What were the results of the voting on the notices for consideration?

09-01-14 04:45PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

I know all you got is excuses. Lots of complaining and no ideas. It's a good thing the National organization is working to bring people and ideas together.

1. Many effective marketing programs are free with volunteers putting in the time or low cost options. Social media, community outreach and putting together booths are events. Curling isn't like cereal, you have to promote it and let people know the club exists in your own community.

2. Warren Hansen is Director of Events. If either you or Legend decided to do some research, you'd realize it's not his role within the organization.

I try to stay away from the debates and squabbles, but then I foolishly read one of the post on this thread and now I have to say something. First off I don’t like it when a pers who is highly regarded and has a position in the upper regions speaks his mind and tells a poster he is childish and all his remarks are worthless complaints.

I’ve been activity involved in all aspects of curling since 1967 and played competitively since 1971… so I have witnessed successful clubs, organizations and curling of all kinds and have been actively involved in some of them. I actually sent some of my suggestions with an individual who attended the CCA summit.

In reading many of the posts, I did everything from chuckle, cringe, and scowl and even raised my brow in obvious dismay. One line from the post above tells me that nothing will ever get better for curling unless we adapt and change our focus of attack. “Curling isn’t like cereal, you have to promote it and let people know the club exists in your own community.” This seems like a nice comeback, but I don’t like it because it appears too nonchalant.

I realize Gerry was taking a shot at Lolar3288, but in so doing it shows why curling won’t make positive strides forward when someone with power shifts the blame to someone else. Let me substitute coffee for cereal and then let us take a look at marketing. Tim’s is the biggest, the best and the almighty when it comes to coffee and all of their marketing is on a NATIONAL LEVEL. They realize they can’t leave such a critical business aspect with a lowly franchisee, as they have to concentrate solely on getting into the black and making a profit. Thus, Tim’s does a national marketing program and I dare say with great success.

I’ve been heavily involved in several curling clubs and still am, as well as my kids are now heavily involved. The one thing I’ve learned about most curling clubs is that all of their resources have to be devoted to running the club and giving members the best that they can for what is paid in memberships. The manager doesn’t have time to promote the club, the club doesn’t have extra resources to promote the club, and all of the volunteers that the club manages to get are put to work in the club and not in promoting. I hear it said by the ACF and CCA that the local club is responsible to promote curling, but you won’t create a successful national sport starting at the local level.

The biggest fact I’ve learned over the past twenty years was that we didn’t do it right after it was realized that marketing was needed by the sport if we were going to increase and flourish. I think most would agree from looking at the dwindling numbers buying memberships that curling is on a decline. Curling clubs are busy and all of their resources are almost entirely committed to the day-to-day operation of the club. I don’t think I can say it loud enough… clubs don’t have the money to promote curling and it has to be done at the national and provincial levels!!!

I’ve always said that any product can be sold if marketed properly and you see it all the time on television. When you ask yourself… ‘Why would anyone buy that silly or useless product?’… you can tell yourself, ‘Someone marketed it wisely from a national level.’

09-01-14 10:00PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well said Gameon