Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-11-14 12:21PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The Chosen 16

It is outlandish for me (or anyone) to assume the lives being led by others. To play the game of Who Will Be Chosen To Be Semipros, however, forces us to make some assumptions. At times, they are horrible and too personal and way too private assumptions.

To be one of the Chosen 16, curlers will be asked to dedicate their lives to a new extent. John Benton just began using a new term and it is really accurate: Immersion. Going beyond dedication that saw practice rocks, openness to coaching and aggressive schedules, immersion will see curlers living in Canada for weeks at a time and living near training centers so that they have the advantage of practicing with some type of coach.

How audacious will we need to be to start guessing who will be in the Chosen 16? Let's start by invading the private lives of the male skips:

I don't see Pete Fenson applying to be one of the two funded skips. His business is important to him. His family is still relatively young and he seems to enjoy being around them a lot. He is not young enough to aim for 2 Olympic cycles.

I do see Heater as applying. I don't think that his career is the driving influence in his life. I see Craig Brown as being in a similar situation and Todd Birr. Face Shuster has openly delayed the start of any career in favor of his competitive curling dream.

Brady Clark, on the other hand, may be our strongest skip if you ask those who put some importance on statistics. I don't see him applying! He might be asked to relocate. He might be asked to take long leaves of absence from his very good job.

See what I mean? To guess who might be on the Chosen 16, you have to make assumptions about peoples' lives.

If you turn to the Women's side, the invasion of privacy gets even worse. Which skip might be looking to start a family? Whose husband might not be supportive? Who would relocate at a high cost to their family?

Still, I doubt that many of the potential applicants will take much offense. We've said things about Craig Brown that are a lot worse than, "His job and young family will not preclude him from applying to be on the HPP team." So have at it. Toss out some thoughts. Just remember that the successful applicants must be ready to be "immersed" in competitive curling.

By the way, adopting the new HPP is far from a reality. Governance changes and leadership changes can throw up unexpected changes. This is just spring speculation.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-11-14 02:42PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

To me this seems like a perfect scenario for the young and not yet career or family focused curlers to build a new team from scratch over the next four years. Anyone over the age of 32 need not apply (because we can't have any 40 year olds on the 2022 chosen team). Maybe if we make it a reality TV show on TruTV, they can all live together in a tiny apartment in St. Paul.

Only partially in jest

04-11-14 02:57PM
Carnival4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carnival4 Click here to Send Carnival4 a Private Message Find more posts by Carnival4 Add Carnival4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carnival4
Harvey Hacksmasher

Immersion...What is "Coach" John Benton's record in world level events?

04-11-14 08:42PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

VAcurler, I'm having lots of trouble seeing such a youthful team on the Men's side. Since Plys aged out, our Junior Men haven't exactly been lighting it up. Dropkin was pretty good and I'm guessing that's where you'd have to start. Maybe Plys and Dropkin together, but they didn't light it up at the World University Games either. Still, I see your logic. The WUGS team of Plys/Dropkin/Beighton/???...was the 4th one Zezel? Not a bad team and certainly one that could grow.

It would be a decent start, but I can't see you telling Heater "Thanks, but no thanks".

Carnival does throws bit of a cheap shot towards Benton. Not that I'm opposed to throwing cheap shots at Benton. Done a few myself. Still, I just attributed the new word to him. I did not proclaim the plan foolproof nor even that it is his plan. Immersion will be the new catch word. It's a step above Dedicated.

Ben Tucker