Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-08-16 01:26AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

That final was a great game played by two great teams. When Howard finally hangs 'em up, Epping should win a boatload of Ontario championships. In the meantime, I'm happy to watch Glenn at another Brier.

Interesting, to contrast the Brier field, where favourites are still ruling the day, to the Scotties field, where it was all underdogs that came through. Both events will be interesting, but very different.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-08-16 08:17AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

While I would not go so far as to call them arch- enemies, I do believe Glenn Howard and Ed Werenich hooked up for a bit several years ago, remember seeing them together in the Bacardi at Brampton.

02-08-16 08:49AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Pretty sure the last 5 Ontario mens tankards have come down to the last shot... Last one that I can remember that didnt was in 2011 when The Howard team smoked Greg Balsdon..

Pat Bowlens wife? Man that is some bad plastic surgery.. And she read her speech from a piece of paper? Never seen that before at a handing the winning team the Vince Lombardi trophy presentation.. And shame on Peyton Manning for plugging Budweiser everytime someone stuck a microphone in his face

02-08-16 08:57AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Curling is a sport where experience does count and when Glenn gets on a roll he can be unstoppable. By the way, Adam Spencer has viced in the past and would be more than capable of stepping up should Rich be injured or feeling hurt. Glenn might be better off getting a good sweeper.

I had a feeling Glenn would take this over Epping. Epping might have been better off losing the 1-2 game and playing through.

After the way Matt Camm behaved at the Brier last year and leaving Kean, he doesn't deserve another trip to the Brier as Glenn's fifth.

02-08-16 09:20AM
Keaner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keaner Click here to Send Keaner a Private Message Find more posts by Keaner Add Keaner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keaner
Harvey Hacksmasher

For the record I don't hate John, Mat, Pat, or Tim. Hate is a pretty strong word. Do I hate how it all went down the past 2 years, yes. If I said I didn't I would be lying. I have too much passion for this sport and for competing at the top. I've put in too much time to not have some sort of negative feeling. But I do not hate them.

If given the opportunity I would play whatever position is needed on a team and I've told guys this. I'm sure I could have played with John a couple years ago, but chose to remain skipping with what I thought would be a longterm team. Made it to a Brier, but the rest didn't work out. So never say never, but I don't expect any changes from that team anytime soon.

02-08-16 11:14AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I don't think Kevin ever out thought Glenn. In fact very much the opposite was the case back when Martn was trying to take on the Howard brothers in late 80's and 90's. The 'ole days' Kevin Martin was known for calling some of the more ridiculous aka high risk shots in the game. Thing was he was making more of them than anybody ever had before. In line with my contention that he was among the two deadliest shooters in the history of the game. (Middaugh the other)

At our club this style of play even occasioned a descriptive phrase for when one of our fellow competitors did the same to us. "That's like Martin. Doesn't matter what you call as long as you make it." Which is of course entirely true but not strategy so much as execution.

What Martin had at skip was something that very few skips could call on back in those days. Burtnyk being a notable exception. Stoughton a little later. Back in those days as the saying went, "If you can't hit the four foot you can't skip." The Wrench and Russ being the prototype for the skip position in the 80's and even much of the 90's. Nowadays the whole dynamic has been pretty much flipped on its head. As Ryan Fry has said, "Anybody can draw, it's the runbacks we practice." And how did ole Glenny beat Epping? A 'paper the guard' upweight double to set up his deuce, and a double run back takeout for the win.

It was only after Russ left for work to the East Coast and Glenn hooked up with Rich Hart that the modern day Kevin Martin became the equal of Glenn in the strategy department. I would also say that there were innovations that Glenn learned from watching Kevin's success. One of the most important, ironically given his upweight ability and past, was Martin and Morris' willingness to use the back of the four foot as a means of defense. I.e. The opposition has rocks in the eight foot, even top four, but the guards are staggered so no run backs are available. Martin and Morris innovated the draw around everything to the back of the four foot dead buried. This shot demanded an enormous amount of precision and if it crashed or was too deep, disaster loomed. No small part why they were so successful with it being the sweeping of Kennedy and Hebert.

There was a period of time when Martin had Howard's number. No bout adoubt it. Mind you he also had everyone else's number too. But I don't think that was because his thinking was better. It was simply that with that teams sweeping ability, and the shooting ability of all four players they were for a long period pretty much unbeatable. I would say that the mounting number of losses did somewhat get in Glenn and Rich's head. As in a certain amount of, "What the hell do we have to do to beat these guys?" And this frustration may have at times caused confusion in their thinking as they tried to get ever more creative with strategy to overcome the difference in execution. No easy thing, and generally a doomed effort.

What Team Howard did have more than any team including Martin's was an incredible resiliency despite the number of heart wrenching losses they suffered. This resiliency being a natural result of the exceptional chemistry between Glenn and Rich, and how their laid back good humoured demeanour flowed from them down to the front end. Where it found a very happy home with Savill, exactly his personality in any case, and Laing a long time teammate of Savill and a wryly funny guy in his own right. This is of course neither an element of strategy or execution. But it sure does help with execution and is something that is highly prized in today's game. It's value being so widely understood that even Bantam teams are hiring sport psychologists to help out at least a couple of times a season.

The other part of the thinking game that Glenn and Rich can be rightly credited with innovating is the 'skipping by committee approach' which fed directly into the 'ice reading by committee approach' and the idea that the thrower can ask for any ice he thinks he needs. These very far from being small things were as significant as the improvement in ice conditions in terms of creating the modern game of curling that we know and love today.

Last edited by JB42 on 02-08-16 at 04:19PM

02-08-16 11:33AM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Nobody plays "The Swirl" better than Glenn Howard. Guys like McEwen, Carruthers, Laycock, Cotter, Menard get those puzzled looks when Glenn starts up his Swirl game.

Can you elaborate on "swirl"? Thanks,

02-08-16 12:07PM
Gallan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gallan Click here to Send Gallan a Private Message Find more posts by Gallan Add Gallan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gallan
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Tankard final was a great game to watch. Lots of excellent shots and right down to the wire. Big kudos to Scott who was on fire for the semis (4 perfect ticks in a row!) and the final. Adam played really well in a big pressure event (enjoy the Brier, you earned it). Apparently Rich has some back and knee issues so good luck recovering before the Brier, Rich. Glenn was his usual dependable skip self. It all came together and it was no fluke after going 10-0 in the RR. Ontario will be well represented at the Brier. Good luck lads, see you there.

One aspect of the final that surprised me was in the 10th end, John put up a center guard on the lead's second stone. To me, that was the "game on" moment that brought a 2 into play. I wonder how the end/game would have played out if he brought another one into the house? Any thoughts on that?

02-08-16 12:20PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gallan
One aspect of the final that surprised me was in the 10th end, John put up a center guard on the lead's second stone. To me, that was the "game on" moment that brought a 2 into play. I wonder how the end/game would have played out if he brought another one into the house? Any thoughts on that?

That is the standard strategic play one up playing the final end without the hammer. The first shot is played into the top 4-foot area, preferably in front of the button on the centre line as you know that your opponent will play a corner guard. The next shot is then a hoped-for tight guard that guards shot rock as fully as possible. You are trying to prevent the team with the hammer making use of the corner guard. Coming into the rings could allow the hammer team to play some kind of tap and roll behind the corner guard. As soon as the corner guard comes into play then it really is "game on" as you suggest.

02-08-16 01:22PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by rock_star

I have a feeling this is a "made up scenario". We'll see.

02-08-16 06:09PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rock_star

Of course anyone who has watched Seinfeld knows about the swirl.

"It's a sex move used by Jerry in the show Seinfeld. What goes into "The Move" is never revealed, and all that is known of it is that it ends with a swirl, although it can also be closed with a pinch. It was stolen by David Putty after Jerry told him about it at his garage."

What this sex move has to do with curling is anybody's guess...but can I assume with Glenn Howard, it involves a lot of beer?

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 02-08-16 at 06:12PM

02-08-16 06:57PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

And I saw a picture of Cam Newton touching the SuperBowl trophy. The equivalent in the NHL of touching the Stanley Cup is a complete no-no and a mega-jinx. But after you win the Stanley Cup, you can touch it all you want. Even drink Budweiser from it. Not sure about the Ontario Tankard, but I think I accidentally touched it last week. I'm screwed....

02-09-16 12:31AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by JB42

What Team Howard did have more than any team including Martin's was an incredible resiliency despite the number of heart wrenching losses they suffered.

As a fan of the Howard team these losses hurt the most for me.. And in this list I ddint include or consider the years Middaugh played

1) 2010 brier final agasint Alberta
- No Kevin Martin at this brier... The Howard team went undefeated in RR and met ALberta/Koe in the final..At that time Koe hadn't won anything major and I was very confident Howard would win.. Howard took 2 in the 1st end.. As the game went on Howard had control of the game but in the 7th Or 8th end Koe got 3 points because Howard ddint peel a guard and got caught in a freeze game around a corner guard and got burnt.. Koes last shot in the last end he drew to the pin... The most disappointed Ive ever felt after a Howard loss

2) Round Robin Loss to Martin in 2009 Olympic trials
- The Howard team lost every game played to Martin in the 2008 and 2009 brier and by this point Im frustrated.. What made this loss so galling was partly because of the Ben Hebert dumping controversy( and he clearly did it and Hart called him out on it) and Martin down one in the 9th made a spectacular runback to get 3 and go to the 10th up by 2... Morris and Kennedy and Hebert whooped and hollered and the look of devastation on Hart and Howards face said it all..That shot swung the momentum in that game and it carried over into the championship game,, I remember their were some great shots made by the Howard team in that game and they still lost it felt like they were never going to get over the hump and beat Martin at a major event..

3) 2006 Brier final loss to Quebec
- I just didn't think Menard could beat Howard in that game... And Menard had control of that whole game and I was shocked he kept it the whole time

4) Losing to Greg Balsdon in the 2014 Ontario Mens Tankard..

What hurt about this one is on the last shot of the game Glen had a very makeable shot and the rock picked and jumped and Balsdon had his 1 st tankard..After Glen won 8 straight times I just didnt think he would lose to Balsdon in that game.. What I can remember is going into the 9th end Howard had control and he let it get away..

5) Losing to Kevin Martin in the 1-2 game 2009 Brier
-Glen was just unlucky on his 1st throw I believe in the 9th end / Or 10th end? I remember this one being a classic and as Howard kept losing to martin at brier games the frustration was beginning to build

6) Losing to Jeff Stoughton in the semifinal in the 2009 brier
- what hurt was Stoughton got to the semifinal thru the 3-4 game... HOward had the better RR record but the team was flat in this game and did not curl well..I consider this loss to be more devastating than losing to Stoughton at the 2011 brier because Stoughton was the No.1 seed after round robin play in the 2011 brier and Stoughton had complete control of the 2011 brier final pretty much right from the get go Mead and Carruthers were both up over 95% I believe and it wasn't meant to be..Howard losin g the 2011 brier final is 7)

8) L0sing to Martin in the 2009 Roar of the Rings final

How could I have losing a roar of the rings final loss one step away from going to the Olympics ranked as low as 8th? This loss didn't frustrate me or devastate me that much because going into t hat Game I had very little confidence the Howard team would win that game and fully expected them to lose..

02-09-16 01:53AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Good honest comments abuut games past. Ignore freca - he's getting mealy-mouthed when others memories don't jive with his own (F-Troop at Granite CC)

Yes, great post.

02-10-16 11:24AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

To RYW

Like me you are obviously a Team Howard fan.

I don't know your reasons but here are a few of mine.

First and foremost is the team chemistry they have always displayed. No matter how tense things get, no matter how high the stakes, they keep it light to a degree that is extraordinary, possibly unique. They keep things positive and keep grinding regardless of the situation.

This is of course the kind of behaviour that sport psychologist now teach in every sport. But that is not why I gravitated to it. That which enamored me was the 'watchability' factor that came through so clearly on tv. Nobody after all wants to watch a team that whines about the ice. Or whines about bad breaks. Or gets down on their teammates for misses. All of that is quite simply ugly from a human spirit point of view as well as a drama of sport point of view.

What also should not be forgotten is that the Howard brothers with the FGZ rescued curling from one of its lowest points. Curling had fallen so far that fans were booing shots that were made. Forced to watch an endless series of take-outs and 'perfect' games of 1-0.

Without the free guard zone curling would never have become an Olympic sport and the WCT would never have existed cause there never would have been any television revenues.

Finally it doesn't matter what event Glenn and company are playing in they always have time to spend with the fans. A funnier and more kindhearted group of guys you won't often meet. Especially when you include the context of competitors in the midst of an event.

Given that there won't be too many more chances to see them compete for Canada's national championship I'll have to see if I can get the time off to go see them at this Brier.