Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Champions Cup Date, Move To Next Season?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-18-16 01:27AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Champions Cup Date, Move To Next Season?

I like the idea of the Champions Cup. I think it's cool to have an event where you have to win to get in, including some spots going to teams that might not otherwise be playing in a GSOC event.

Obviously I'm not a sponsor or organizer, and I know there is a lot that goes into the dates picked for these events. It's not nearly as simple as it may seem. That being said, I think this event is too late in the season, and honestly would be better off starting off the following season, for three big reasons:

1. The exhaustion factor, or lack thereof. The Players' Championship is already late in the season as it is, with many teams running on fumes or close to it at that event, let alone this one 9 days later. On the flipside, several teams haven't played an event for months, which could be too long of a layoff. Obviously this happens with other events, and in the future teams may be better prepared, but it's worth noting.

2. Declined invites. Several teams have declined their invites to this event, for various reasons. The event has been on the schedule since last year, but given the selection process and the lateness of the date I would imagine that many teams don't have themselves penciled in as attending when they plan their season schedule. I'm sure that funding, vacation time, work/family conflicts played a part in teams declining their invites. In some cases the time between qualifying and the event itself is very short. For example, what if Denmark had defeated Canada at Men's Worlds? They would have had a little more than two weeks to plan for this event. All the teams in the event has to win an event to participate, and it's not necessarily an issue, but it is a shame that the winners of several high-profile events declined their invites and will not be participating. Again, I know that most of the GSOC events don't finalize their fields until a month or so beforehand, but I think any teams that may be on the bubble for qualifying can generally predict what events they expect to qualify for.

3. Late in the calendar. Hockey playoffs are in full swing in May, not to mention baseball and golf and what not. Obviously there are other times where there are conflicts, but generally by that time of the year curling is not on a lot of people's minds.

Anyway, given what I've outlined above I think it would make more sense to have the event at the start of the following season. Relating to my points specifically:

1. With the event being early in the season, exhaustion theoretically wouldn't come into play. Granted, on the flip side teams may be a bit rusty or what not, but I think that is easier to deal with than being burnt out from a long, grueling season. If nothing else, it puts the teams on a more equal footing in that regard.

2. I think you would get significantly fewer declined invites. Teams would have several months, in some cases almost a year, to plan for this event. Instead of a question mark, teams would know for sure and be able to plan and budget accordingly.

3. It would be a really cool way to start off the season.

Anyway, like I said I know there is a lot that goes into these events when it comes to timing and scheduling, and there very well could be some good reasons why what I've outlined isn't feasible. Besides that, declined invites could be due to a multitude of reasons, some (or several) of which may not be ameliorated by simply moving the date of the event. Just something I was thinking about.

What does anyone else think? Am I way off base here?

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-18-16 08:12AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

no, i dont think you are. you make a lot of really good points and i agree with what you are saying. i think one problem with doing that is that it would require disturbing the schedule that already exists and moving some events back possibly including the tour challenge. thats not a big deal to me personally but it might be for some

04-18-16 10:31AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Re: way off base..

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
and it wont happen..
Why someone who isnt even an elite curler or Champion.. seeks to change this is puzzling

Its supposed to be the Champions of the 2015-16 season not into the 2016-17 season

What about team changes at season end?

it certainly shouldnt be negated because of hockey season that lasts almost all year
and hogs all the TV coverage well into summer..

Elite Curlers adding 2 more weeks to their schedule shouldnt be cause for such concern..
fans can golf all they want if they dont care to watch

I think that they'll modify their Champions' Cup for many reasons. They have a lot of declined invitations and I wouldn't be surprised if they do something ala European soccer where the Champions' League has clubs who don't win their league, but a top 2-3-4 can get them in. It can be best runners-up after a certain number of champions have declined, or even something like most OOM points in a tournament. If you want to talk about team changes, I'm sure that if a team keeps 3 players, they're considered the same team. Now, if a team goes nuclear, now it's a question you have to ask. But if we did it last year, how many of those teams have had drastic changes this season (ie considered a new team? The only teams I can't think of on teams that qualified for a slam at the begginning of the year without sponsors' exemptions are Carey, Lawton, Howard & Michel. The first one because they named their second as their alternate, and the second one because she was listed as the alternate due to her pregnancy. Howard still kept the backend intact, and I'd argue that keeping the back end is good enough for me to be considered the same team. And the last team is Michel which is a combination of two good teams.

04-18-16 10:33AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Was the champions cup created at the Elite's request? I don't know, some of them looked tired at the Player's Championship.

I think that Phil D makes some good points. I know that scheduling is tight but all those declined invitations should be a cause for some concern. Teams especially those with real jobs and not many sponsors plan their events months in advance. The Champions Cup didn't give them much notice.

Not sure I will give up an afternoon of golf (because that is when it will be shown) to watch this.

04-18-16 03:34PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question Top Form

The other point is that the curlers should be in Top form by season's end..
If it is played at the start of the next season there is little chance the team will be in top winning form..

Maybe this just had some glichs because Teams had long before set their schedules..
there are few WCT / elite / competitive curlers who
wouldn't want to pencil it in as a possible in 2017...for that nice purse and perks..

04-18-16 06:57PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Obviously I doubt they would change the date for next year, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaking to the selection criteria for sure. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Honestly, I doubt the event will ever be moved from the end of the season.

Like I said in my original post, it just seemed like there were a significant number of declined invites, including some teams who qualified via very high-profile events, and it got me to thinking. As I said though (and as HotRocks also mentioned) this is the first year for the event, and in the future teams may be more likely to pencil this event in as a possibility and plan for it. Hopefully if nothing is changed that will be the case.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com