Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-05-14 08:35PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Colleen Jones Story

Perry Lefko is helping Colleen Jones to write her life story, and is interested in hearing from fans to provide some comments about specific shots, memories, thoughts about Colleen and her career.

The book is not exclusively about curling, but rather a woman who became a prominent curler/sports broadcaster and how she managed both while raising a family of two boys and keeping her marriage strong for 30 years.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-06-14 06:29PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I wouldn't mind reading that book.

I knew nothing about curling growing up. After the birth of my son in 1999, my wife and I had a lot of time on our hands during the day as my wife was on maternity leave and I banked up holiday time to take a couple months off to spend time at home and help with the newborn.

During the day we spent time in our living room with the baby.

It was either soap operas or women's curling on TV. Curling won out.

I remember watching the Scotties with my son on my lap and saying to my wife, "hey, that curler looks like the weather girl from the CBC morning show. Hey, it is the CBC weather girl."

THe more we watched the more we started to root for her. During the games Jones was always talking and communicating. Jones had a bit of swagger--as the kids would say. She wore her emotions on her sleeve. One shot she would be whooping it up. The next she might let out a curse word. It was kinda entertaining and for us it was must-watch TV as we hitched our ride to the Jones bandwagon all the way to the final.

That was our window into curling.

Our kids picked up curling in 2007 as a lark and my wife and I started to curl in 2010. Our whole family curls now.

I wonder what would've happened if soap operas won over curling back in February of 1999.

Sorry for the long message, just thinking of good memories of February of 1999 and our introduction to curling

08-08-14 05:57AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

CJ

That's a nice story Wally. Thanks for sharing. Its interesting how curling came into our lives isn't it.

08-18-14 06:20PM
Perry Lefko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Perry Lefko Find more posts by Perry Lefko Add Perry Lefko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Perry Lefko
Knee-Slider

Stories about Colleen

I'm looking for additional stories,anecdotes such as the one by Wally Curler. You can add them to this thread or send them to me at perrylefko@hotmail.com (with your name of course).
The book will be published in the fall of 2015 by Penguin. There will be plenty of stories about the different things Colleen did in her curling career: how she grew up in a family of nine siblings (the first eight girls); how all but one of her siblings curled, yet her parents didn't know anything about the game; how she became a student of the sport. It will also detail how she became a broadcaster and how it impacted on her curling. And it will detail her battle with meningitis and the emotion of losing her father followed by the unexpected passing of her mother-in-law three weeks later.
The book will be about mentally overcoming challenges, both in sports and life, and finding out what matters most.

08-21-14 09:44AM
Glennard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glennard Click here to Send Glennard a Private Message Find more posts by Glennard Add Glennard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glennard
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Stories about Colleen

I don't remember what year it was.. probably back in 1997 or 1998 or maybe earlier.. There was a calendar released of all the teams that participated in the Scott Tournament of Hearts the previous year. Colleen Jones and team was in there.. team Nova Scotia.. My brother was big into baseball at this time and there was a tournament going on here in Riverview and I had heard that Colleen Jones' son was playing and that she'd probably be at the game.

I took the calendar to the game and as she was walking out, I asked her if she could sign my copy of the calendar. I remember her being super nice, talked to me for a bit and had no idea that there was even a calendar with all the teams in it. I don't still have the calendar now though.. no idea whatever happened to it.

Not much of a story, but just wanted to share.

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by Perry Lefko
I'm looking for additional stories,anecdotes such as the one by Wally Curler. You can add them to this thread or send them to me at perrylefko@hotmail.com (with your name of course).
The book will be published in the fall of 2015 by Penguin. There will be plenty of stories about the different things Colleen did in her curling career: how she grew up in a family of nine siblings (the first eight girls); how all but one of her siblings curled, yet her parents didn't know anything about the game; how she became a student of the sport. It will also detail how she became a broadcaster and how it impacted on her curling. And it will detail her battle with meningitis and the emotion of losing her father followed by the unexpected passing of her mother-in-law three weeks later.
The book will be about mentally overcoming challenges, both in sports and life, and finding out what matters most.