Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Welcome back CZ.
I am not surprised that Wang is having a slow start. I see them mid-pack at the end. Cheering SKorea - who lost to RUS - oh well. Surprised to see USA oust Sweden in Draw 2. Good comeback for USA there. Sweden may not be invincible. Czech Republic is always a spoiler. Would like to see them nose toward a podium finish. Yeah - Canada. You can't count on misses. You have to work your draw game. Hit Hit Hit is not the way toward gold. We'll see. (p.s. glad to see McEwen qualify in Aberdeen - no point in a new thread!)

Last edited by nelski on 03-18-17 at 10:21AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-18-17 10:03AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Wang's slow start is indicative to her start

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Welcome back CZ.
I am not surprised that Wang is having a slow start. I see them mid-pack at the end. Cheering SKorea - who lost to RUS - oh well. Surprised to see USA oust Sweden in Draw 2. Good comeback for USA there. Sweden may not be invincible. Czech Republic is always a spoiler. Would like to see them nose toward a podium finish. Yeah - Canada. You can't count on misses. You have to work your draw game. Hit Hit Hit is not the way toward gold. We'll see. (p.s. glad to see McEwen qualify in Aberdeen - no point in a new thread!)

Wang will be back in her winning ways after her loss to Homan , afterall she probably played the toughest opponent in tournament , the ice will dictate as whether it will be a hitting game to a drawing one, I believe the ice technitions will have to moniotor conditions closely , or the whining will begin from perenial winners like Homan

Old Post 03-18-17 12:20PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i guess, seeing this early on the ice does seem more conducive to hitting, which might explain teams leaning more to the hit

Old Post 03-18-17 02:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

nice to hear from you Misty 1 , been away for a while

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i guess, seeing this early on the ice does seem more conducive to hitting, which might explain teams leaning more to the hit
right when you can get 5 feet or more of CONSISTENT curl from outside in then we'll see rocks being buried behind center guard ..we shall see how the ice will be during this week , sure they brought in the best ice techs to save embarassment later....

Old Post 03-18-17 02:28PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

I just finished watching both USA matches. It seemed like they and their two opposing teams struggled throughout to figure out the ice, and no one ever really did master it. USA's loss to Scotland could easily have turned their way if they'd had more time to think about their final shot, but their clock was running low and Roth has to rush it.

The "cracks" in the paint job look deliberate to me, like they're trying to make it look like it's outdoor ice on a pond.

Old Post 03-18-17 03:32PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I just finished watching both USA matches. It seemed like they and their two opposing teams struggled throughout to figure out the ice, and no one ever really did master it. USA's loss to Scotland could easily have turned their way if they'd had more time to think about their final shot, but their clock was running low and Roth has to rush it.

The "cracks" in the paint job look deliberate to me, like they're trying to make it look like it's outdoor ice on a pond.

scotland definitely struggled. United states did not go away and kept fighting but scotland made so many uncharacteristic mistakes.

United states had multiple shots to win but i doubt they'd have gotten to that point if scotland was firing on all cylinders

Old Post 03-18-17 03:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not impressed with TSN opting not to show CAN vs. GER. Also not impressed with TSN dropping TV coverage of a draw as soon as Team Canada finishes their game. Then the fact that they're doing this from a studio instead of the arena caps off the feeling that they just don't care.

It's tough for viewers to care when the broadcaster doesn't care.

It was nice to see an overwhelming amount of Chinese press for the China/Canada match, though. Hopefully they remain interested in the event, despite what I think will be a challenging week for Team China.

Old Post 03-18-17 04:54PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

TSN

I set the alarm to watch the Canada-China game in the middle of the night. I'm not so sure TSN is actually "doing" the broadcast. Very different than their normal coverage. I'm guessing they just "get the feed" from the provider there.

However, if they are there doing the broadcast, why in the world would they show a repeat of the game they already showed live at the exact same time that the Canada Germany game was taking place? Surely with all their channels they can show the live games live and the replay later in the day. Maybe even directly against the slam games to steal their audience.

Answers?

Old Post 03-18-17 05:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

World curling is producing the broadcast and TSN is putting their overlays and announcing on top of it. Same as what NBC is doing for the states

Old Post 03-18-17 06:09PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Click here to Send southerncurler a Private Message Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know whats going on with TSN this year.

there's got to be a reason they would rebroadcast canada v.s china 4 times in one day over actually showing canada v.s germany.

looking at my schedule they are broadcasting canada v.s russia and canada v.s the united states

Old Post 03-18-17 06:11PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Just saw the recap of the USA vs SWE game....are those cracks in the ice?

Old Post 03-18-17 06:28PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Click here to Send AK267 a Private Message Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i dont know whats going on with TSN this year.

there's got to be a reason they would rebroadcast canada v.s china 4 times in one day over actually showing canada v.s germany.

looking at my schedule they are broadcasting canada v.s russia and canada v.s the united states

It probably is as simple as whether or not there was a full camera crew shooting Canada vs Germany. I'm guessing not, or they would've shown that. There was a full crew covering Sweden vs USA at the same time, apparently the only one there today, perhaps because this first day only had two draws.

I think there will be two full crews for most of the rest of the round robin; there are three draws each day until the RR is over. And since TSN is scheduled to cover most of the Canada matches, while the other crew shoots other matches, I'd further guess this second crew is being paid for by TSN.

Still, it is a reduced presence, and not having multiple matches on other channels during the Scotties and Brier, and not sending over their own commentators all add up to a reduced expenditure on TSN's part. If their situation is anything like their US cousin's (ESPN), then it makes perfect sense as they've been losing subscribers (and their money) in droves over the last couple of years as increasing numbers of people drop cable or satellite TV and pick and choose their content from internet channels instead.

Old Post 03-18-17 06:38PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

They said earlier it was under the ice at the paint level, and the paint is cracking or peeling away from that layer.

Old Post 03-18-17 06:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: TSN

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I set the alarm to watch the Canada-China game in the middle of the night. I'm not so sure TSN is actually "doing" the broadcast. Very different than their normal coverage. I'm guessing they just "get the feed" from the provider there.

However, if they are there doing the broadcast, why in the world would they show a repeat of the game they already showed live at the exact same time that the Canada Germany game was taking place? Surely with all their channels they can show the live games live and the replay later in the day. Maybe even directly against the slam games to steal their audience.

Answers?

Pretty sure Vic, Russ & Cheryl are broadcasting from TSN studios in Toronto - not even sure if Cheryl is physically in the studio - or in her home town in Alberta!

Doesn't seem to make a difference - TSN saved a huge amount in sending a full broadcsst crew with directors, writers, editors & camera-men, no transportation costs, no hotels, no food, etc. Ratings would only be good for the Homan games anyways, maybe the odd Scotland vs. Switzerland or Swiss vs. Russia.

Old Post 03-18-17 06:52PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

That's all fine but at least show all of Canada's games. I see the China game is on yet AGAIN, and still no Germany game. And yes the camera crews were there for the Canada Germany game as I was watching the US Sweden game they would show the highlights.

Old Post 03-18-17 07:14PM
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
That's all fine but at least show all of Canada's games. I see the China game is on yet AGAIN, and still no Germany game. And yes the camera crews were there for the Canada Germany game as I was watching the US Sweden game they would show the highlights.

I suspect they have a "roving" second camera unit that goes from sheet to sheet as needed to shoot key moments as they come up. I saw Sportsnet doing this at the National in Sault Ste Marie this past December, I.e. A main unit that stuck to the featured game and a roving second unit for all the other sheets. If I'm right, then no one has continuous footage of any of the other three matches, just bits and pieces. If it follows the Sportsnet example, the camera coverage will increase as the event goes on. (the first couple of days in Sault weren't even on TV)

I could be wrong, of course, and there is one difference I can see between this coverage and what I saw Sportsnet do. This arena seems to have overhead cameras above each house they can switch to at any time. In Sault Ste Marie there were only two, one for each end of the arena, which were mounted on a track. They could then slide those cameras left or right to cover a house on another sheet.

And I stand corrected on the cracking visible in the ice. I'm told it's to do with the pH levels not being quite right when fresh ice is first set, and should fade as the ice is reworked and remade over time.

Last edited by Observer on 03-18-17 at 08:15PM

Old Post 03-18-17 08:07PM
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: TSN

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Pretty sure Vic, Russ & Cheryl are broadcasting from TSN studios in Toronto - not even sure if Cheryl is physically in the studio - or in her home town in Alberta!

Doesn't seem to make a difference - TSN saved a huge amount in sending a full broadcsst crew with directors, writers, editors & camera-men, no transportation costs, no hotels, no food, etc. Ratings would only be good for the Homan games anyways, maybe the odd Scotland vs. Switzerland or Swiss vs. Russia.

The massive time difference can't be good for the ratings either. That probably figured into it as well.

Old Post 03-18-17 08:09PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: TSN

quote:
Originally posted by Observer

The massive time difference can't be good for the ratings either. That probably figured into it as well.

That's why they showed Homan vs. Bang 4 times in one day (well, other than the fact TSN doesn't have NHL hockey on weekends, too) - they really don't have much programming other than curling - except obligations to Euro soccer which will take precedence over world curling when they go head to head, if they go head to head.

TSN's specialty these days are hi-lite packages, Top 10 lists and insider panels (qualifier for insiders is to possess at least one smartphone and agreement with at least 3 or 4 NHL teams to get team news before any other media.

Old Post 03-18-17 10:16PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Some observations from Homan's 1st game of the round-robin:

1. My old affectionate monicker "The MEAN GIRLS" might be on last legs. The two friendliest members of Team RH now are the original mean girls, Raytch herself and longtime lieutenant Emma Miskew. . . . . both flashing unforced smiles at various times during the game. Raytch has come a long way since she was a super-focused/angry junior who hated interacting with media and fans - and sometimes her own team. She's still super-focused and intense but increasingly shows her soft side. Even when she misses she rarely gets mean and disconnected - something she always seemed to do.

2. The two unfriendliest members of Team Homan right now are Lisa and Joanne - who woulda thunk?

3. Rachel almost came out of her saddle somewhere in the mid-part of the game - - - - still made the shot - - - - and then joked it was a good shot "even though I almost fell down" . . . indeed, she can be funny - in a dry way!

4. Wang is a good shooter - but doesn't have much support thru her lineup. Good team that might be involved in the chase for one of the non-golden medals. Almost stifled Raytch in the end where she gave up 4 - but Raytch made her best shot of the game to squeeze out a near-freeze.

5. Joanne Courtney is easily the best brusher I've ever witnessed in the women's game. She never gives up on a stone - is always a quarter second away from going hard or lifting up. And she's super awsre of all possibilities in the house or out-front when things get complicated.

6. Mentioned Homan's near fall on one of her mid-game slides but overall Rachel has the most stable and accurate delivery of any woman curler I've ever seen in the last 35-40 years.

After Homan I'd rate them as follows:

2. Jennifer Jones
3. Jeanna Schraeder
4. Sandra Schmirler
5. Connie Laliberte
6. Kim Kelly
7. Val Sweeting
8. Kaitlyn Lawes
9. Dawn Askin
10. Emma Miskew

Hon. mentions: Julie Sutton, Heather Nedohin, Coco Jones, Kate Cameron, Krista McCarville, Dawn Askin, Lisa Weagle, Joanne Courtney, Kendra Lilly, Jan Betker.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-18-17 at 10:35PM

Old Post 03-18-17 10:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Swing Artist

AGAIN Canada China.

If I'm a paying sponsor it better be buy one get 3 free. Hey did they only play one game today? Good grief TSN you're blockheads. Click, hockey game sportsnet.

Old Post 03-18-17 10:39PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Some early predictions (while we're mired in watching Canada/China replays):

1. Of the 8 members between Team Switzerland and Team Canada at least 7 (possibly 8) will finish 1-2 in their positional standings....

2. Next to Homan Team Switzerland is easily the best team at this event. At all positions, including skip the swiss team members are either equal to or slightly off their respective Canadian team competitor.

3. Only 3 skips can be deemed "Killers" at his event. They are Homan, Paetz & Muirhead. However, only Homan and Paetz have killer 3rds.

4. Wonder what not medalling will mean to Team Russia? Perhaps the team disbands - however, I do think the Russians would prefer a name-brand at the Olympics vs. the upstart Moisseva. That's why they rigged their qualifying this year to give the temperamental Sidorova another chance!

5. Princess Eve Muirhead. There's really nobody out there quite like her. WOrking with a less than stellar team this Princess loves coming off the floor to stun opponents. Did it vs. Nina Roth in the opening draw - appears to be doing it again vs. Italy tonite! She may actually be a bigger killer than either Paetz or Homan.

Old Post 03-18-17 11:05PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Funny little final point on the 3 killer women skips.

Rachel is now the oldest of the 3 - she'll turn 28 early next month.

Muirhead, unbelievably is the youngest (at 26)

Paetz is one year younger than Homan, she just turned 27.

Can't remember when the 3 top women skips were so young?

Even more amazing is if Sidorova can insunate herself into the top 3, she's even younger.

Old Post 03-18-17 11:16PM
curlky
Drawmaster

For the people upset with TSN coverage, I have a question an in uninformed AMerican. Is the NCAA basketball tournament big in Canada. In the US, that tournament is huge, and ESPN has not rights to it. But since they know everyone will only be watching basketball, they dont spend much money to show anything that will be guaranteed to have no ratings.

Old Post 03-18-17 11:30PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is something. Scotland scraped by the united States and now don 3 playing 10 against Italy. Looking really vulnerable her so far. If they can't handle 2 of weaker teams hre they don't have much hope against the other favorites

Old Post 03-18-17 11:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

This is something. Scotland scraped by the united States and now don 3 playing 10 against Italy. Looking really vulnerable her so far. If they can't handle 2 of weaker teams hre they don't have much hope against the other favorites

Old Post 03-18-17 11:39PM