W: Karuizawa International
M: Dumfries Challenger Series
M: Dakota Challenger Spiel
W: Dakota Challenger Spiel
M: King Spud Classic
: United States Olympic Mixed Doubles Trials
M: Mixed Doubles Curling Challenge
Central European Time (CET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 Brier Announcers

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-17 05:57PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Stoughton, Nedohin (both), G. Howard and Hemmings would all be great. Maybe they will be the next ones to step into the booth.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-17 09:30PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Vic is not "playing" dumb. If he is he definitely deserves an Emmy.

Hemmings had his chance a few years ago. He was terrible, mostly due to his lack of proficiency in English.

03-21-17 12:42AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Whisper
It's obvious that there lots of Curling Fans that like the current TSN and Sports Net broadcast announcers and even some still enamoured by some of the old retired veterans announcers. But, there are just as many that don't. So I as a curling fan, like many others would like less announcer chatter, less announcer analysis and less announcer “learning the game” routine.

I can push the mute button and I do, but I miss out on one of the most important part of curling of hearing the curlers in-house conversations, the screams and hollering for more or less sweeping and the sound of the rocks colliding. I like the curling sounds and atmosphere in the rink! I turn on the TV to watch and listen to the sounds of curling, not the sounds of announcers!

So, I don't suggest anyone should have to listen and watch my presentation style of the game of Curling nor should I be required to watch and listen to the “chatter lovers” style.

So, TSN and Sports Net, how about one of your duplicate channels carry only curling rink sounds, no announcer chatter. I would even accept full sound for all the advertising but once the cameras are on, only curling rink sounds would be available.

^ Very simple and very good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
Hemmings had his chance a few years ago. He was terrible, mostly due to his lack of proficiency in English.

Hemmings has been doing it in French on RDS for the past few years - always from the studio in Montreal, as far as I can tell.
He talks too much in the French broadcasts - but he has little choice, as whomever he's partnered with knows very little about curling, and so can't contribute much - except to ask Guy what he thinks.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-21-17 at 02:13PM

03-21-17 07:56AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Whisper
It's obvious that there lots of Curling Fans that like the current TSN and Sports Net broadcast announcers and even some still enamoured by some of the old retired veterans announcers. But, there are just as many that don't. So I as a curling fan, like many others would like less announcer chatter, less announcer analysis and less announcer “learning the game” routine.

Something to consider. A huge majority of people watch have never thrown a curling stone in their life. This is the reality of the commentary that their job is to explain the game to these fans. When you consider that (from TSN's numbers) 7 million people watch at least some of the curling, you can figure out what percentage might be curlers.

When you consider there are about 1200 clubs in Canada, let's take an average of 200 members per clubs, you'd get about 240,000 regular club members across the country.

One other problem with the idea to give you the sounds of the game online, it's tough to do so with how TSN's channels are setup. If you do it with one channel, you'd essentially cutting off one part of the country from the commentary. TSN1 = BC/AB, TSN3 = SK/MB, TSN4 = Ontario, TSN5 = Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

Unfortunately you're going to have to learn to live with the commentary. Us curling fans are not what TSN/Sportsnet need to target since we're likely going to watch anyways and it's a small part of their viewer market. To get more eyes on the game, TSN needs to expand the non-curlers market and they call the game that way for a reason.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!