Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-10-18 09:39AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Very well said Observer. Koe is well known for his democratic style of skipping and deliberate approach to shots.

However this was a case of two officials not sharing information. Very poor and the head official should have come down. At least replay the end.

I did timing once and it is not easy with the regular system. This would have made things very difficult for the volunteers even the experienced ones!

I know they want to get rid of blank ends but I feel the 5 rock rule helps somewhat with that anyway.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-10-18 10:15AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

What I liked the most about this event was that 10 end games were always completed well before 3 hours. So if that was attributable to the timing system or the commercials shown the same time as lead rocks; whatever it takes to speed things up. Myself I don't need to hear too much strategy talk as quite often they just go full circle with their options before making a decision. 3 hour ten end games at Scotties and Briers frustrate me. I guess that is why I am liking mixed doubles curling more and more and I'm not young!

Oh and Russ Howard needs to give teams that play Brad Gushue more credit. They sometimes know what they are doing and won't always leave a rock in the wrong place. (and this is not a criticism of Gushue).

Looking forward to Nfld Slam!

12-10-18 11:11AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Very well said Observer. Koe is well known for his democratic style of skipping and deliberate approach to shots.

However this was a case of two officials not sharing information. Very poor and the head official should have come down. At least replay the end.

I did timing once and it is not easy with the regular system. This would have made things very difficult for the volunteers even the experienced ones!

I know they want to get rid of blank ends but I feel the 5 rock rule helps somewhat with that anyway.

This clip might answer a few questions relative to Koe's rock taken out of play.

https://www.tsn.ca/curling/video/ko...g-rules~1560300

12-10-18 12:11PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

just a guess but if bj had yelled sweep at hogline colton or ben would have pounded it into a hit for 2 and atie for ee

Except that the official was vocalizing with B.J. about removing the rock as it was coming down the ice. Pretty much taking BJ out of the equation.

12-10-18 01:03PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I was watching a provincial playdown once where they called a time out. The timekeeper was behind the glass, her back was turned as she was chatting with a spectator...the skip had to bang on the glass to get her attention. What did the official do? Instead of telling the timekeeper to pay attention, they told off the skip for "being rude" to the volunteer timekeeper.

12-10-18 08:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Bigger picture : Time change

The more I think about this the more it gets me thinking, and questioning, who really benefits from this? Is the game better with timed individual ends? NO. Is the sport better? NO. Will it in ANY way help grow the sport? NO. Who is putting pressure on Curling Canada to impose these changes? Who even suggested changing the rules to time each end? Was it the curlers? NO. Was it the World Curling Federation? I think not. Was it the Member Associations in Canada? Nah. Or even the European or Pacific-Asia Associations? Not likely. So who would be pushing for such a drastic change to the sport and who would benefit from it.

TSN and Sportsnet. One covers all the Canadian and World Championships, the other OWNS the slams. Begs another question, how much influence do these broadcasters have over Curling Canada in shaping the game to fit THEIR SCHEDULES? It's all about the almighty dollar and what can they do to make more, regardless of how it affects the sport.
Going back a few years it started with relegation to make the Brier and Scottiies fit THEIR SCHEDULE. It was the change to 8 end games for the Slams, to fit THEIR SCHEDULE. 5 rock rule to try and prevent up and down blanks. Blank ends are and always will be part of the game. Or, is that the next change on the horizon? No blank ends or forfeit the hammer.

Full disclosure I've always been a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but these changes wreak of interference into the sport all for profit for the broadcasters. Yes, yes, I know they don't do it for free or to lose money, but to impose their will on the governing body to change the sport to suit their wants, not needs, is a bit rich for me.
AND, the stooges at Curling Canada are more worried about keeping their job and perks and benefits, than putting their curling shoe down and finally say ENOUGH!!!

I know I can't be the only one.

12-10-18 08:21PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Best volunteer ever!

12-10-18 08:27PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

https://i.postimg.cc/KzdWgSSJ/14916...229065346-n.jpg

12-10-18 08:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
https://i.postimg.cc/KzdWgSSJ/14916...229065346-n.jpg

He could pass as Rick Lagina from Curse of Oak Island

tried to copy and paste, you'll have to google it

12-10-18 08:43PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I'm actually watching oak island right now.

12-10-18 10:44PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Re: Bigger picture : Time change

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
The more I think about this the more it gets me thinking, and questioning, who really benefits from this? Is the game better with timed individual ends? NO. Is the sport better? NO. Will it in ANY way help grow the sport? NO. Who is putting pressure on Curling Canada to impose these changes? Who even suggested changing the rules to time each end? Was it the curlers? NO. Was it the World Curling Federation? I think not. Was it the Member Associations in Canada? Nah. Or even the European or Pacific-Asia Associations? Not likely. So who would be pushing for such a drastic change to the sport and who would benefit from it.

TSN and Sportsnet. One covers all the Canadian and World Championships, the other OWNS the slams. Begs another question, how much influence do these broadcasters have over Curling Canada in shaping the game to fit THEIR SCHEDULES? It's all about the almighty dollar and what can they do to make more, regardless of how it affects the sport.
Going back a few years it started with relegation to make the Brier and Scottiies fit THEIR SCHEDULE. It was the change to 8 end games for the Slams, to fit THEIR SCHEDULE. 5 rock rule to try and prevent up and down blanks. Blank ends are and always will be part of the game. Or, is that the next change on the horizon? No blank ends or forfeit the hammer.

Full disclosure I've always been a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but these changes wreak of interference into the sport all for profit for the broadcasters. Yes, yes, I know they don't do it for free or to lose money, but to impose their will on the governing body to change the sport to suit their wants, not needs, is a bit rich for me.
AND, the stooges at Curling Canada are more worried about keeping their job and perks and benefits, than putting their curling shoe down and finally say ENOUGH!!!

Agreed with all of this one hundred percent. Next thing they'll be doing is reducing baseball to a 5 inning game or the Kentucky Derby to a 7 furlong affair for the sake of television. I'm all for "growing the sport" as you will, but lets not change it beyond recognition.

Also is it really needed to stick another Slam event right after Canada Cup? Eish, talk about a quick turnaround time for the teams coming out out of Sasky!

12-11-18 06:50AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Bigger picture : Time change

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

the sad truth is that the attention span of this generation is shockingly short. and its only going to get worse. its going to start getting to every sport but we're seeing it affect some already with organizers trting to figure out how to shorten games. its affected tennis with them trying out a new faster format and in exhibitions and doubles and now it's happening here.

i thought i remembered a while ago reading something about how tsn wasnt thrilled ghat curling often ran long and so disrupted their shceduling and so, your right. the new faster format probably does have something to do with pressure from broadcasters

i've said it before. curling is heading in a direction im not thrilled with and same with tennis. i fear soon enough im just gonna ditch them both. ( i know i will if tennis switches to fast 4 format everywhere).

it'll be curious to see if sports like baseball, basketball, hockey and football ever get affected.