Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Last Stone Draw Online Calculator

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-30-15 02:14PM
TomyMMX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomyMMX Click here to Send TomyMMX a Private Message Find more posts by TomyMMX Add TomyMMX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

Last Stone Draw Online Calculator

So based on the new rules we now measure the distance to the button differently.
The final number is the distance of the center of the stone to the button. If the stone does not cover the button it is easy since we only add 14.2cm to the measured distance. The calculation gets a bit more complicated when the stone is over the button.
From the document of Toyo Ogawa explaining the math behind the new calculation I created a simple web app that can do this.

If the new calculation method is used the app expects distances from the edge of the 4ft circle at 3 an 6 o'clock positions.

http://tomymmx.github.io/LSDCalculator

Comments appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-01-15 12:04AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Link to the document you referenced?

10-01-15 06:15AM
TomyMMX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TomyMMX Click here to Send TomyMMX a Private Message Find more posts by TomyMMX Add TomyMMX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plfcba5ls...vised.pptx?dl=0

That is the document/presentation that was circulated/used at the WCF General Assembly.

10-01-15 10:35AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

The app would be improved with a diagram to demonstrate exactly what measurements are to be taken.

(A great but difficult feature would be to take the measurements and create a diagram showing the position of the stone and the lengths being measured to allow the user to self-correct.)

The app appears to have default values of:

So you have a locale issue. Most of the world uses "." as the decimal separator and will be confused and suspicious of this European way of doing things. What's next? 8 weeks of vacation? Communism! But your answers are given with "." as the separator.

But even worse is that these default values aren't actually used as default values. For example, the first thing I did when I saw 0,0 in each box was press "Calculate", giving me an answer of "NaN cm". I happen to know what NaN means but most of the world does not. But when I explicitly put 0 in each box then I get 14.2.

You don't do any error checking on the entries. It lets me put "Cow" and "Dog" in without a complaint.

The app only works once. If I change one of the numbers the calculation doesn't change, which is probably the way it should work. The should also be a "reset" button to clear the entries.

10-01-15 11:34AM
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

So two things.
The thing was written in less then an hour so people have something to do the calculation if they need and don't have the official app.

I will think about some of the suggestions but will discard one... the idea that I should check if you input nonsense like "Cow" and "Dog". The think does not break and every user should know that measurements are done in numbers

But do keep the suggestions coming... in time I will improve the app so we get a nice tool. For now this was always meant to be a MVP and if nobody finds faults in the calculations I am happy

p.s.
I know this is a user experience problem for now, but if there is a number in the first box... the other two are not used... so the new calculation is only done if you leave the first box empty.

10-01-15 03:47PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I don't think that you can assume that every stone is 14.2mm radius. The WCF rules don't specify the diameter of the stones. I feel like this needs to be accounted for.

Is there a desire to make this calculator actually log and show previous distances, and have a running total for the team number?

10-01-15 03:53PM
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
I don't think that you can assume that every stone is 14.2mm radius. The WCF rules don't specify the diameter of the stones. I feel like this needs to be accounted for.

Is there a desire to make this calculator actually log and show previous distances, and have a running total for the team number?

From the documentation that I have:
New LSD value when the stone doesn’t stop in the house has to be defined (185.4 (current) + stone radius (14.2 cm) = 199.6 cm

But I agree that not all stones have the same radius and am therefore not sure how this will be handled. It is easy enough to add it as an input field.

The calculator as imagined is only that. No additional features until the basics are nailed down... it should be the basic tool that it needs to be... since it is quite hard to calculate the LSD by hand and quickly

10-01-15 08:27PM
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

(A great but difficult feature would be to take the measurements and create a diagram showing the position of the stone and the lengths being measured to allow the user to self-correct.)

What do you think about the way it works now?

10-03-15 02:11PM
TML*2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TML*2 Find more posts by TML*2 Add TML*2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TML*2
Knee-Slider

I have question about 14.2cm that is given as the radius. WCF rule R2. states:

A curling stone is of circular shape, having a circumference no
greater than 91.44 cm. (36 in.)

Plugging 91.44 in the formula r = c / 2π, yields radius of
14.55 not 14.2.

So why was 14.2cm chosen as the radius? There was no explanation
given in the Ogawa presentation.

10-05-15 08:54AM
TomyMMX
Knee-Slider

So at this point I have no answer for this.
I know that the maximum distance for an LSD is in the rules as the old distance + 14.2cm. Why was it chosen like this I don't know.
But at this point I am not sure how exactly the LSD measurements are to be handled. Will the value of 14.2 be used which in most cases gives a result that is a bit off or should the stones at a specific venue all be measured so the calculation can be as accurate as possible.

Looking at the provided document it seams to me that measuring errors (or in this case stone differences) of up to 5mm are small enough to not be cared about. Which makes some sense since this would only come to play in a really small number of cases. I think that this is the most likely way that it will be handled.
We will probably never be at the point that two teams can throw two stones and be at a combined difference that is less than a cm... and with that this becomes a non issue.

10-06-15 09:56AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by TML*2
I have question about 14.2cm that is given as the radius. WCF rule R2. states:

A curling stone is of circular shape, having a circumference no
greater than 91.44 cm. (36 in.)

Plugging 91.44 in the formula r = c / 2π, yields radius of
14.55 not 14.2.

So why was 14.2cm chosen as the radius? There was no explanation
given in the Ogawa presentation.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that it has to do with creating the hitting band. Based upon the 36 in circumference, that gives you a 11.46 in diameter. I would bet that when they make a stone, they start with a 11.5 inch blank, and then file the hitting band into it, and more likely than not, they shave 0.25 inches off, which would be about a 14.2 radius. I bet it is hard to make the stone perfectly round and take off less than the 0.25 inches.

10-06-15 10:08AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by TomyMMX

What do you think about the way it works now?

Looks great now! Much improved. Works on my laptop and android phone.

08-17-23 02:20PM
Lime82930 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lime82930 Find more posts by Lime82930 Add Lime82930 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lime82930
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Delta Faucet Leland series features a stunning Arctic Stainless finish that complements a range of kitchen settings. Its pull-down sprayer offers a variety of functions, including a powerful spray for heavy-duty cleaning and a gentle stream for everyday tasks. https://faucetspoint.com/best-brass-kitchen-faucets/