Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 14 of 21 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-05-13 12:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
This is not intended to be a knock against the accomplishments of Murdoch, Peja, Eigell, etc.....but in fairness to Canadian skips, it is awfully difficult for them to win multiple Worlds simply by virtue of how difficult it is for them to even make it to the Worlds at all. Think about a guy like Koe who has a battle to even make it to the Brier (like Martin did during the Ferbey years). How many world titles would some of these non-Canadian skips have won if they were Alberta based?

fair enough. but its one thing to have a bye there and another to perform when you get there

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-05-13 12:54PM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
He'd be within 1 of equaling glen howard, randy ferbey and eigel ramsfjell with 4 world titles in total as well.

Wonder if anyone will ever surpass 4 world championships?

Since they have recognized world championships since the first Scotch Cup back in 1959, I think you should also credit Ernie Richardson (plus Arnold & Sam) for their four titles in 1959, 1960, 1962 and 1963.

04-05-13 12:58PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

and if anyone knows about unstable ....

04-05-13 01:36PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

You seem to have a vast amount of knowledge about unstable persons. May I ask? Yourself or family?

Actually I get most of my knowledge from reading posts by ml, misty, peteski and sternboy - you four should curl together

Pretty sure none on here are unstable - just a little put off that you suggested that people that disagreed with you were

..and i didnt like smokey as a nic name by the way

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

04-05-13 01:46PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Danny Fink once told me 'The Best Strategies, Legend is to MAKE YOUR SHOTS!!!'

So you were a Legend even back in the early 70's when Danny was last seen in Winterpeg.

04-05-13 01:54PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

The Page system is a true test of character. As Brad knows from recent experience, if you finish 3rd or 4th you have to beat ALL of the other top four finishers to win gold.

An interesting weekend coming up for Canada.

04-05-13 02:51PM
Unregistered

Agree about Small Fry.

He seems to be taking over leadership or trying to. Even the front end seems to be agreeing with him. Looks like a mutiny is developing. Pity Captain Jacobs.

Small Fry should be less concerned with stratey more so with HIS shot making. 76% vs Swe. Pathetic!!

& what happened to the lively rocks? Jacobs last rock in the 9th vs Swe didn't move that Swedish stone out. Puzzling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.12

04-05-13 03:19PM
Unregistered

Ryan Harnden

I have really grown a dislike towards Ryan Harnden and what he brings to the team. He is an excellent shot-maker/sweeper. But all of this cancels itself out when you look at what kind of teammate he is.

His edginess when approached with conflict is immature and amateur. There have been countless times where he has dropped off rocks immediately that ended up barely missing or in even some cases making the shot. Not to mention his negative attitude when shots called are not up to his liking. And the ironic thing is that he clearly has the worst understanding of what shots to play.

There are a lot of alpha dogs on this team. Maybe having a submissive lead who brings more of a positive light to this team could help. Regardless it's an excellent team. But he seems to always sour the mood. EJ can be similar but he steady compliments Brad and always offers his suggestions in a more positive light. So his broom smashing can be forgiven or even in my case encouraged. Especially when it is personal frustration.

That is of course just my opinion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.200.173

04-05-13 04:43PM
Unregistered

Sssssshhhhhhh.

Legend quit living in the past.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.12

04-05-13 05:02PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
He'd be within 1 of equaling glen howard, randy ferbey and eigel ramsfjell with 4 world titles in total as well.

Wonder if anyone will ever surpass 4 world championships?

Almost impossible for Canadians to win several worlds they just don't appear very often at the event. The most impressive Canadians are the ones who make the Worlds 2+ times and win most of them. But I think anyone who wins the Canadian title but fails to win the World title is still a damn good team.

Put somebody like Glenn Howard in the US he'd probably have 8 world titles by now, and our US posters would be all over how good their programs are.

04-05-13 05:05PM
Unregistered

Re: Agree about Small Fry.

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
He seems to be taking over leadership or trying to. Even the front end seems to be agreeing with him. Looks like a mutiny is developing. Pity Captain Jacobs.

Small Fry should be less concerned with stratey more so with HIS shot making. 76% vs Swe. Pathetic!!

& what happened to the lively rocks? Jacobs last rock in the 9th vs Swe didn't move that Swedish stone out. Puzzling.

If true that's a sad old deflection ploy by a player unable to take responsibility for his own poor play. Its the oldest trick in the book-not my fault I threw it up my ass, its the skips fault.

And being one hundred feet away, Jacobs isn't there to defend himself while Fry gets the rest of the team to join his pity party..

Seen this happen many times over the years-too many times.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.188

04-05-13 05:12PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

It used to be said that the one of the big differences between Canadian curlers and "all others" was that Canadians could always make the big shots but others couldn't. In the matches I watched this week this is clearly no longer the case.

Curling is designed for close games and small samples don't tell a complete tale. My observation was that Canada lost the killer instinct to put away teams in ends they were set up to score huge ends. They'll have to regain that quality to win the playoffs.

My opinion is that Denmark is their toughest challenge. Those guys will be loose. So could be a short playoff if they don't regain their Brier form.

04-05-13 05:27PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Ask jason gunnlaugson how that works

04-05-13 05:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Almost impossible for Canadians to win several worlds they just don't appear very often at the event. The most impressive Canadians are the ones who make the Worlds 2+ times and win most of them. But I think anyone who wins the Canadian title but fails to win the World title is still a damn good team.

Put somebody like Glenn Howard in the US he'd probably have 8 world titles by now, and our US posters would be all over how good their programs are.

Thats true but, like i said before just because some european teams get basic byes to the worlds does not mean they will eventually win. Thomas ulsrud and andy kapp are the best examples of this

Anyone who manages to win more than one world title, regardless of if they are canadian or euopean is damn good.

its very hard for any team from any country to win one world title..harder for canadians sure

04-05-13 05:30PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I believe Ryan Fry actually read and posted in this thread a few days ago......

04-05-13 05:34PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

There was an earlier post that Canada had 450 of the top 500 teams in the World. So, if that is the case, why does Canada not win the Worlds (men and women) each and every year? How does this team from Canada finish 4th? Are they not top 100 in Canada and therefore the World? Am I missing something? Are not Howard, Stoughton, Koe, Jacobs, Jones, Homan, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, the top 20, 30, 40 teams in the World? Why would not all of them win the World and Olympics every year?

Norberg won 3 Worlds and 2 Olympics. How did that happen?

JH
yep, still Friday night and inquiring minds want to know.
PPS there are NO opinions in there, just QUESTIONS. Anxiously awaiting to be provided with curling knowledge.

04-05-13 05:42PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
I believe Ryan Fry actually read and posted in this thread a few days ago......

Yes and your point would be?

04-05-13 05:52PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

So I see JH ranting about Canadian curling in another thread and then come here and he is at it again. Me thinks thou doth protest too much JH. Do you really think that Canada does not have 90% of top rinks in the world? And do you really think that should guarantee a world title every year? Surely you have curled enough to know that best team does not always win -- that is why they play the game. Do you really think that non-Canadian title winners mean there are not lots of great teams in Canada? What is your point?

04-05-13 05:59PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl

There was an earlier post that Canada had 450 of the top 500 teams in the World. So, if that is the case, why does Canada not win the Worlds (men and women) each and every year? How does this team from Canada finish 4th? Are they not top 100 in Canada and therefore the World? Am I missing something? Are not Howard, Stoughton, Koe, Jacobs, Jones, Homan, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, the top 20, 30, 40 teams in the World? Why would not all of them win the World and Olympics every year?

JH

Simple.....no qualification to auto bye to represent Sweden EVERY YEAR and they were a very good team. Had only to show up for the one event and they did. That is how it happened.

Secondly....the quality of the world curlers is ever improving but the numbers are limited. Every country has a few good teams whereas Canada has a few hundred quality teams with an elite 5-10 who are top quality. The game is played on ice and there is parity amongst the top teams as we are seeing.

Having said that, if I was betting on a best of seven competition Canada rep vs ANY TEAM in the world....not doubt my money would be on Canada every year.

04-05-13 06:04PM
Unregistered

quote:

JH
yep, still Friday night and inquiring minds want to know.
PPS there are NO opinions in there, just QUESTIONS. Anxiously awaiting to be provided with curling knowledge.

The Brier and the STOH are the biggest events of the curling season. Except of course when the Olympics trials and the Olympics roll around. It is hard to perform at a continued high level when the two Canadian reps get to the Worlds. It is at the end of a busy season and maybe there isn't much left in the tank. The teams that rep Canada are absolutely honored to wear the maple leaf on their backs and try their best to bring home the gold, but the above mentioned reasons, in at least some small way, have something to do with their lack of domination. Put that together with the fact that some of their competition is pretty darn good, and this is what you get. Just my one and half cents.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.76.2.100

04-05-13 06:14PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

And my last post on the subject at hand until sometime in the future. Best of luck to all competitors, I personally will be rooting for Sweden. Not out of spite but I think they are deserving and a good team.

Please visit the US forum if you wish to discuss the triple crown. That will be my next venture until "summer ramblings" and the fall rolls around.

JH
Been a fun year

04-05-13 06:40PM
Wide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wide Click here to Send Wide a Private Message Find more posts by Wide Add Wide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wide
Knee-Slider

People don't understand probability and small sample size. As a very simplified thought experiment, suppose Canada has a 80% chance of winning a game against any world team (which is an elite winning percentage in sports, the "win 27 in a row" Miami Heat is currently at .784, in the MLB rarely do any teams crack .700 over a season).

Just using basic probability (and just assuming they make the 1-2 game) they have a

64% chance of winning 1-2 game and then final +
12.8% chance of losing 1-2 game then winning semi and final

Even then, Canada would only have a ~77% chance of winning gold. Factor in that it's not guaranteed to make the 1-2 game nor even the playoffs, plus their chances of winning the final itself is less than overall chance (because the team in the playoffs is better than the average world team), and this pushes the chance of winning it all even lower. But it doesn't mean they don't have the best team, nor does it mean all the other Canadian teams sitting at home aren't as good as the rest of the world.

04-05-13 07:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what I dont get is why it even matters the depth canada has and why certain things like that have creeped into this forum.

yes canada's depth is the greatest, no one is arguing that

what I dont understand is what this is building to. Surely you people are not trying to suggest that canada should have more than one entry.

04-05-13 07:57PM
Unregistered

quote:
And my last post on the subject at hand until sometime in the future.

JH
Been a fun year

thousands would believe you -- bye bye

"please i beg you, leave the US forums to us " jhcurl

from usa curling mens world da line - yesterday

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

04-05-13 10:21PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Any thoughts on the low attendance? 39000 so far (from cca post game stat sheet). In 2005 final attendance was 117000. Even with 5 games left doesn't seem like this will be attained again.