Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-20-14 08:14AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Continental Cup

To some this may be old news but to others is may be news. Enjoy. Taken from TSN morning news.

http://www.tsn.ca/curling/story/?id=462196

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-20-14 11:54AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its getting sickening seeing the same teams here time after e with little to no variety at all.Lets have some new picks.

europe could have gone with feltscher or michel for example or even tirinzoni and stjerne.

canadian teams are similarily predictable and boring. why not choose sweeting or try cotter.

i know there's a certain set of events and results that coaches have to choose from but in my opinion that should be done away with. you look at teams that did well in the previous season, say a top 10 or top 15 and choose from that.

the fact that i know that, more or less the same damn teams will be there every year is whats made me stop watching everything but the singles event.

im also of the opinion that the asians and americans should have been kept in it. it would have been fun to see the koreans (ji sun kim or possibly their junior team who's name escapes me)and possibly the new chinese team skipped by sijia liu in this event. the mens japanese team skipped by morozumi also would have been a good addition

Last edited by misty1 on 09-20-14 at 12:03PM

09-20-14 12:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
What's with the US team being left out for two years -seems mean and dumb - it's supposed to be a fun sport. ... Guess I'm getting to old ...

fun and global. it goes against the growth of the sport to cut out the american and asian sides

09-20-14 12:30PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

fun and global. it goes against the growth of the sport to cut out the american and asian sides

But next year it will cut out the Europeans teams instead. Will that be going against the growth of the sport as well?

09-20-14 12:43PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
its getting sickening seeing the same teams here time after e with little to no variety at all.Lets have some new picks.

europe could have gone with feltscher or michel for example or even tirinzoni and stjerne.

canadian teams are similarily predictable and boring. why not choose sweeting or try cotter.

i know there's a certain set of events and results that coaches have to choose from but in my opinion that should be done away with. you look at teams that did well in the previous season, say a top 10 or top 15 and choose from that.

the fact that i know that, more or less the same damn teams will be there every year is whats made me stop watching everything but the singles event.

im also of the opinion that the asians and americans should have been kept in it. it would have been fun to see the koreans (ji sun kim or possibly their junior team who's name escapes me)and possibly the new chinese team skipped by sijia liu in this event. the mens japanese team skipped by morozumi also would have been a good addition

I doubt many curling fans share your view on this, but there's nothing wrong with that. I just think most curling fans want to see the best teams regardless of anything else.

If you're picking teams based on merit, the men's picks were obvious (the two Olympic medal winners and the world champion). The women's picks should have been obvious (the two Olympic medal winners and the world champion). It should be Feltscher not Sidorova. Makes me wonder if for some reason Feltscher turned it down. Doesn't make a lot of sense to not pick the world champ. However, that shouldn't matter to you anyway because neither Feltscher or Sidorova have played the Continental Cup before.

As for the new format, I can see pitting Canada vs. whoever having some juice, but I do think the alternating years of team Europe and team World to be kind of dumb, particularly because team World will likely be dead in the water. Just have Canada vs. the World and take the top 3 non-Canada teams from the previous World Championships (excluding post-Olympic years, where you take the Olympic medalists and world champs). Problem solved.

09-20-14 01:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

But next year it will cut out the Europeans teams instead. Will that be going against the growth of the sport as well?

the whole idea of alternating thing just baffles me anyway. i dont see the point of it at all. Its stupid. The scoring format change was stupid enough. I didnt really like the event to start with but it worked well for what it's purpose was, to have fun, you didnt really need to change anything and now they made all these pointless changes.

09-20-14 01:58PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

The scoring format is WAY better. Games worth a point each until the skins games. That's logical.

The alternating between Europe and World? This will be a way to showcase more teams. During the "Team World" years, I'm sure we'll see Team USA and two teams from the ever-strengthening Pacific zone. You can't blame the Europeans for sending the same teams year after year, the fact is that those teams have been the most successful at world championships and it's the WCF's prerogative to have a fair qualification system. Canada/NA has been sent many of the same faces over and over, too: Martin, Howard and Jones have been fixtures at the tournament in recent years.

Binia Feltscher's team must have been invited to the ContCup as the world champions. I see from their website that they've committed to the Berner Damen Cup, a major event on the European Curling Champions' Tour which takes place the same weekend as ContCup 2015. I wonder if the Berner Cup is a good event to see how they stack against their Swiss competition, perhaps an opportunity to earn qualification points for the Swiss championships?

In addition, they already have a very travel-heavy schedule this season (2 trips to North America for Grand Slam tournaments and 1 trip to Japan for Karuizawa, plus tournaments in Sweden and Scotland). I'm sure Feltscher and co. have their reasons for giving ContCup a miss this year.

09-21-14 04:25PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Big fan of this event (Vegas 2014 was an absolute delite and my fourth CC). It will most likely return to Vegas in 2016.

Don't really care about the new format now that the CCA is calling the shots.

11-21-14 05:17PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Don't look now folks, but there are 3 countries in Asia: China, Japan & Korea that shouldn't be ignored.
If you were watching the netcast of the Asia-Pacific Championships, you'll know what I mean.

...decent commentating too...

11-22-14 12:06PM
slider1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slider1 Click here to Send slider1 a Private Message Find more posts by slider1 Add slider1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slider1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Binia's team was not invited. A real shame considering they are the reigning World Champs. At least in Canada the teams are chosen based on merit I.e. Olympic, STOH and Canada Cup.

11-22-14 02:26PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by slider1
Binia's team was not invited. A real shame considering they are the reigning World Champs. At least in Canada the teams are chosen based on merit I.e. Olympic, STOH and Canada Cup.

Makes no sense.

11-24-14 05:17PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
What's with the US team being left out for two years -seems mean and dumb - it's supposed to be a fun sport. ... Guess I'm getting to old ...

Have fun, TSN. You just alienated the biggest potential TV market in the world for curling, and the 2nd largest curling nation. Oh, well.

11-24-14 05:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Makes no sense.

its not to much of a surprise though. peja and pal clearly have their favorites

11-24-14 06:55PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

its not to much of a surprise though. peja and pal clearly have their favorites

I don't think Pal's involved at all, but either way, since when has Sidorova been one of their favourites?

11-24-14 06:59PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

Have fun, TSN. You just alienated the biggest potential TV market in the world for curling, and the 2nd largest curling nation. Oh, well.

Just saying, TSN has no reason to care about alienating the US market.

11-24-14 08:19PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

If the event is televised in the States (ESPN-pick-a-number), then it would make sense to have local talent-Heath McCormick or John Shuster come to mind-although neither is in the Top 10, McCormick made the Semis at The National.
It should be noted that the USCA is having a Made-for-TV event in December with no Canadian rink.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 11-24-14 at 08:21PM

11-25-14 12:03PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
If the event is televised in the States (ESPN-pick-a-number), then it would make sense to have local talent-Heath McCormick or John Shuster come to mind-although neither is in the Top 10, McCormick made the Semis at The National.
It should be noted that the USCA is having a Made-for-TV event in December with no Canadian rink.

It's not being televised in the US, outside of US curling clubs that have connections to have a Canadian Satellite dish or folks that live close enough to the border to finagle it some other way.

The USCA made for tv event keeps appearing to be more and more of a farce the more I hear...current understanding is that this isn't "showing games", it's showing half hour highlight packages...

11-25-14 12:18PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Maybe Heath's mustache scared them off...