Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-29-14 03:02PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Ah, Tuck, If anyone trashes outdoor curling to me - and plenty in my club have done so - I've learned to think to myself they just don't know what they are missing. Spending a day or more transporting rocks, preparing ice, warming up with picnic hampers or in nearby bars or restaurants is as much fun as an indoor bar in a curling club for me. Curled under Yosemite National Park's Half Dome last weekend. The bar and restaurant at the Ahwahnee Hotel and the bar at the Yosemite Lodge under Yosemite Falls are special. The Yosemite rink has a Zamboni, level ice and a well tended firepit rinkside. One day I hope to see this much outdoor curling in the USA:
http://skipcottagecurling.blogspot....10/01/thaw.html

About Mixed Doubles curling, I tried it once. Didn't enjoy preplacing stones and no sweeping but understand many love it and I'd do it if there was no other curling possible. Wondering why it doesn't allow wheelchair and stick curlers at world level. But, I suppose, that would give many able-bodied athletes and WCF delegates cooties even if that inclusion would honor the Spirit of Curling and our federal law on reasonable accomodations.

Last edited by Alice on 11-29-14 at 09:54PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-01-14 12:37PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

If I hear one more person say there is "no sweeping" in mixed doubles I think I'll lose my mind! There is also no sweeping in the regular 4 person game if everyone chooses to just stand there and watch the rock. Not sweeping is a choice. The doubles format just has no dedicated sweepers for each shot.

(if the next post in this thread doesn't say something about no sweeping in doubles I'll be a little disappointed )

12-01-14 02:50PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

You may have read MNiceman's post and think it said something like, "There really is sweeping in Mixed Doubles" but that's not what he's really thinking.

What he's really thinking is, "Tuck picked Mazzotta as his upset? Is Tuck high? Mazzotta won like maybe 1 game last year! Tuck should have gone with Wiza as his longshot special. If Mazzotta makes the playoffs, I'll call Tuck the curling guru for as long as I live."

After watching the Tiny Terrorist play second and third for Cory in Duluth last weekend, smart posters might want to move them up in their picks. Conversely, Tyler and Courtney showed last weekend that they are very human.

Ben Tucker
Punk, Stitch, Gary and Kim are gonna make me look smart

12-01-14 03:17PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Mazzotta isn't a bad pick. Neither is Wiza.

12-01-14 04:05PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

You want more sweeping in mixed doubles, get the WCF to change the rules. Eliminate the rule that says the non-throwing teammate most be beyond the far hogline. So, no broom to shoot at but a sweeper from the start. Thrower can call line from the hack or jump up and sweep. Would be more interesting for sure.

JH

12-01-14 05:07PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Eliminate the rule that says the non-throwing teammate most be beyond the far hogline. So, no broom to shoot at but a sweeper from the start. Thrower can call line from the hack or jump up and sweep. Would be more interesting for sure.

JH

Ha Ha Ha, way more interesting.

12-01-14 07:40PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I'd like to see Mixed Doubles played with a MUCH shorter time clock. Dang, both teammates are in the house for half of the shots. Speed it up.

Coach (and part time Senior) Dave Jensen chimes in, but doesn't make a pick. I'll save him the typing: Dave picks Brady Clark.

Ben Tucker

12-02-14 07:49AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

So what are the odds for your pick of the Punk?

I'll give you 20-1 against the field for all the beets in North Dakota.

12-02-14 10:30AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Geez, Biter...I got no idea. I'm no Willy.

23 teams so the average team's odds should be 23 to 1. Willy The Greedy would cut that down to about 15 to 1 so that he makes profit no matter the outcome. He's kinda sharp that way.

The Family Clark 7 to 2
Stolts 3 to 1
Tommy's Kids 4 to 1
The Angry Birds 5 to 1
Dropkin The Younger with a Terrorist 6 to 1
Defending Champs 8 to 1
Pep and Laura 8 to 1
It's Never Too Late Vukich/Cornfield 10 to 1
Dunham and another Terrorist 10 to 1
Field 10 to 1

Ben Tucker

12-02-14 11:06AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

As a sidenote: I'm not thrilled with this draw.

Split round robins always seem to be unfair. There always seems to be a Pool Of Death. Peer seeding isn't awesome.

The playoffs will be set by Draw Shot Challenge totals. So let's say Meechai wins Pool D and Dropkin gets second. If the DSC lines up wrong, they play each other in the first round of the playoffs.

That ain't right. The top two teams might be in the same pool. Those advancing from each pool should be put on different halves of the playoff tree.

Also, there is only one draw allowed for tiebreakers. With 4 pools, this might get ugly. A 3 way tie for first with teams at 5 and 1 is not problem...just advance the team with the best DSC and the other 2 play. However, 1 team winning a pool and 3 teams tied for second blows up the draw and they'll be playing past midnight. With 4 pools, 3 teams tying for second with 3/2 records is not unlikely.

With quarterfinals going on Saturday night and tiebreakers looming, getting the short straw with 2 games early on Saturday is Laitinen. Sounds like a Finnish name. I'm sure they'll be glad to do tiebreakers and playoffs on top of their final RR games and it isn't the most unjust thing in the world. If I were playing, I'd like my last RR game at 11am.

Mixed Doubles has produced some of the most imaginative and brilliant draws to come out of the USCA. This, however, does not appear to be one of them. It ain't bad.

Games start Wednesday night. Good luck and good times to all.

Ben Tucker

12-02-14 11:09AM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Triple knockout with 4 qualifiers and Page Playoff would have been nice.

In case anyone was wondering the USCA's Head Ice Technician will be in Blaine for the exhibition event instead of at the Mixed Doubles National Championship.

Last edited by MNIceman on 12-02-14 at 02:46PM

12-02-14 03:35PM
ECCCiceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ECCCiceman Find more posts by ECCCiceman Add ECCCiceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ECCCiceman
Knee-Slider

Just a FYI, Rudi Bloomquist and Kevin Madsen are the two ice techs that are at this event. I think Kevin is from Wilmar, not sure about Rudi. Matt Proehl, from Wilmar also, will be helping with ice as well as timing/officiating help. I obviously will be helping with the ice also.

Jason Card
ECCC Ice Manager

12-02-14 06:58PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Rudi is from NORTH DAKOTA, as are all good icemen. There are some pretty good icemakers outside of our state, but they generally learned from North Dakotans. I'm not saying that North Dakota is the best state in the nation. It is the best state in the nation, I'm just not saying it.

Isn't it time for you scrapper jockeys to pick a Mixed Doubles winner? Maybe shock us with a surprise pick like Brady Clark?

Ben Tucker
North Dakota

12-02-14 07:23PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Why not just make it Speed Curling? As Kim Nawyn in the lastest "US Curling News" mentioned as an idea to make curling more fun and creative: five minutes per end meaning stones have to be thrown before the opponent's stone comes to rest. Alternatively, maybe each team could have a small number of minutes as "thinking time" to buy time to discuss some shots which would be easier for timers. Imagine the stress and drama of easily losing a game by running out of time by not playing fast enough. If the whole point of having world mixed doubles is to generate a new Olympic TV-worthy event why not speed it up as fast as possible?

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I'd like to see Mixed Doubles played with a MUCH shorter time clock. Dang, both teammates are in the house for half of the shots. Speed it up.

Coach (and part time Senior) Dave Jensen chimes in, but doesn't make a pick. I'll save him the typing: Dave picks Brady Clark.

Ben Tucker

12-02-14 09:17PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Ummm....no.

Mixed Doubles is already straying far enough from curling, that plan is too far in my humble opinion. I'd rather make them curl outside on a lake, river or loch. (just a gentle jab there)

It doesn't really matter. What matters is that Alice did make a pick. Until she does, I feel free to ignore her. I suggest ya'll do the same. Will she pick the westie Idaho/Oregon team? Will she pick the west coast favorites from Seattle? Vukich/Cornfield (too long to type so they will be Cornich for the rest of this thread)? Will Alice deny her MOPAC roots and refuse to back Kizlyk while cheering for Tommy's Kids?

Ben Tucker
now I'm just messing around

12-03-14 04:21PM
Alice
Swing Artist

Tuck, I guess you'll have to ignore me forever since I became an official, I really can't ever openly pick any teams to win an officiated game. Not hard to do since I always root for whoever is shooting to make their shot, for no one to fall down and get hurt, no frustrated players to damage the ice, and no team to lose by running out of time.

As for the whole HP thing, now that playdowns and tournaments have started for this season, I am just rooting for the rules not to change before the season is over and any Team USA staff "discretion" not to dicker with said rules and on-ice results.

Good curling to all,
Alice

12-03-14 04:34PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Ummm....no.

Mixed Doubles is already straying far enough from curling, that plan is too far in my humble opinion. I'd rather make them curl outside on a lake, river or loch. (just a gentle jab there)

It doesn't really matter. What matters is that Alice did make a pick. Until she does, I feel free to ignore her. I suggest ya'll do the same. Will she pick the westie Idaho/Oregon team? Will she pick the west coast favorites from Seattle? Vukich/Cornfield (too long to type so they will be Cornich for the rest of this thread)? Will Alice deny her MOPAC roots and refuse to back Kizlyk while cheering for Tommy's Kids?

Ben Tucker
now I'm just messing around

I take Dropkin/Anderson and 10-1. My next choice was the George's, but I like the higher odds.

12-03-14 04:38PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Angry Birds at 5-1 for me. I think Tuck still owes me drinks anyway since I saved him $1600 during Belmont. Tuck loves the horsies (as do I) but did not know that 5 of 6 for the pick 6 still pays.

Besides, The Punk is still an Eastie in his heart.

JH
USCA directors representing this weekend in the icebox of CT

12-03-14 08:49PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Representing? Letting Giz Hartman carry you is more like it.

Good luck. Have fun. I'm just jealous. Tell Giz I said HI.

Ben Tucker

12-05-14 12:02AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Nearing the midway point quickly.

Pool A: The Family Clark is winning. The story, however, is that Pep/Laura are blowing up teams. Linescores are a bit insane. How will they ever catch on to this type of game if they only play 6 ends? I don't know how this pool will end up, but I really hope that Clark/Clark doesn't play Pep/Laura early in the playoffs.

Pool B: Very young Fenner/Persinger got of to a quick 3 and 0 record with a couple of those games being very close battles, but have to finish with a pair of tough games. The Stolts are undefeated. My longshot Mazzotta/Roden pick is getting shelled today and that sets them up to where they have to run the table. It is a table that can be ran, however, because they've already played the Stolts. Tough day today; need a total turnaround tomorrow; it can be done.

Pool C: Very young Dunnam/Terrorist2 get two decisive wins and I'm sure that they were kind, cute and polite as they kicked ass. Dear God, that has to be getting old for us older curlers. Tommy's Kids also get a couple of wins. My pick to win this thing (The Angry Birds) get tagged with a loss from the underrated Colorado team (Kizlyk/Rosenberry). In the Pool Of Death where they still have to play Tommy's Kids and a Terrorist, that may be an unpardonable offense. When you're playing in a deep pool, best not to belly flop too often. The Angry Birds also struggled to beat the very young Fort Wayne team. The Curse Of Tuck might be weighing on them, but they could easily turn this around.

Pool D: The defending champions needed and extra end to beat Olson/Olsen. Then they drop a game to Team Impossible To Type (Laitinen/Weimerskirch...last time I'm typing out that bad boy...from now on they will be Team Impossible to Type...if there weren't Juniors playing here I'd use the initials). Only one game into it, but DropkinTheYounger/Terrorist1 are looking very strong.

So the headlines today look like: Defending Champs Struggle In Early Going and Youth Loudly Announcing Their Presence at Mixed Doubles. I think tomorrow's headlines will be Angry Birds Bounce Back and Tiebreaker Possibilities Abound (which is cheating because, in round robins, tiebreaker possibilities always abound with one or two draws remaining).

Ben Tucker
Wish I was there

12-05-14 11:22PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I don't get too many right, but today's headlines actually came in a predicted: Angry Birds Bounce Back and Tiebreaker Possibilities Abound.

Actually, not a lot of tiebreakers loom if things go according to the seeding. The Pool Of Death should take care of itself is Dunnam/Terrorist2 can follow up tonight's upset of Tommy's Kids with a closeout win against Fort Wayne. That would make the pool finale of Tommy's Kids vs. The Angry Birds basically an elimination game. Such is life in a Pool Of Death. Birds drop one to a good Colorado team and Tommy's Kids drop one to talented/polite youngsters and we might have a great team going home early.

Pool A looks set Pep/Laura stay good against Fowler. The Family Clark finish up against clubmates Vukich/Cornfield and that was the matchup that knocked Clarks out of playoff contention last year. This year, however, the Clarks are in great shape and have a game to give.

Very young Fenner/Persinger can make the playoffs with a win or tiebreakers with a loss against my darkhorse Mozzatta team. Lee/Lee need to win or even a loss by the youngster rink will be enough to get them a playoff spot.

It's Pool D where the tiebreaker scenario looks the most likely if DropkinTheYounger/Terrorist1 continue their roll. They play the defending champs in the morning and, if they beat the defending champs, 2 wins and 2 losses will be enough to make a tiebreaker. That means Wiza and Team Impossible To Spell both are still in this thing. They play each other first; then T. I. T. S. finishes up against Olson/Olson. Lots of weirdness possible. If the defending champs drop that game to Dropkin/Anderson and T. I. T. S. wins both games then no tiebreaker because they would go straight through. Wiza wins and anything goes. Team Impossible To Spell only has 1 real game played. They have a forfeit today due to some food poisoning or something along those lines.

A concluding thought: We have 3 teams of accomplished Junior in this field. They are a combined 9 wins/2 losses. We also have another young team from Fort Wayne who is doing pretty good as well. That's good stuff.

Ben Tucker

12-06-14 10:24AM
4ftministry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4ftministry Click here to Send 4ftministry a Private Message Find more posts by 4ftministry Add 4ftministry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4ftministry
Knee-Slider

Tuck picks Mazzotta? He's won 4 games in the last 5 years of this event. Thats not a longshot ,its a blackhole.

12-06-14 10:50AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

HEY NOW! I just picked them to make the playoffs, not Worlds. I can't just go picking the top seeds in every Pool or you'll start calling me Morehouse.

Team Impossible To Spell is now in an extra end against Wiza. It could be a long day. It is possible for them to play this game and (if they lose) play the last game in the round robin and (if they win) play a tiebreaker and (if things fall right) play another tiebreaker and (if they win) play the quarterfinals. That's a big day. This is the team that was too sick for a game yesterday and had to forfeit.

Ben Tucker

12-06-14 01:33PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Trying hard to get interested in this event since I know lots of the curlers but... in the end it is still mixed doubles so the best I can do is... yawn

12-06-14 02:12PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Next year can we take the extra money from the webstream fundraiser (hint, hint please donate) and get some basic streaming of the event?

I know the USCA has standards for national events, but I'd much rather have a simple live set of webcams with no commentary then the nothing I have now. Plus I've never actually seen mixed doubles so it's really hard to figure out some of the line scores.