M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - Acton
M: CurlON Men's Cash Spiel - RCMP
M: BC Mens - Kootenay Playdowns
M: BC Mens - Okanagan Playdowns
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
M: BC Mens - Island Playdowns
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2018 World Womens, North Bay

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-25-18 06:28PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Did Manitoba Legend put a horseshoe in JJs curling bag? Can’t believe Hasselborg misses that pick...

LOL - WOW

JJ is best ever! JJ s best ever!

Overcome with emotion!

10 years in coming!

Fighting off the demons

CY-BORG is an amazing curler, skip and world class athlete - - - - - JJ beat one of the best ever to cap her sparkling career!

And yes Virginia - there was a horseshoe in the bag . . . . . but Canada also ticked about 5 or 6 times with Jilly & Mouse-Borg - so it evened out.

Can't believe Jones hogged her guard - fortunately Cy-Borg didn't play the chip-out tight enough - a la Kevin Koe
- and rely on brush-power!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-18 06:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Other incredible thing about Team Canada - they went unbeaten thru the tournament - 14-0

and none of the players were first at their position!@ INCREDIBLE!

Jones was what? 4th or 5th
Mouse was 3rd or 4th
Officer Jill was 3rd
Dawn was not first (biggest surprise of all)

Attendance record for North Bay, Ontario.

I hereby dub all of ye HONORARY MANITOBAN STATUS!!!

03-25-18 06:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Sweden

So nice to see a team so happy and proud of silver for a change instead of standing there like a bunch of mopes.

03-25-18 06:39PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

TEAM SWEDEN = PURE CLASS

Their efforts this week made for a dramatic and record-attended world championship.

And what a tremendous curling education for Shannon the Cannon Birchard !!!

03-25-18 06:40PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Sweden

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
So nice to see a team so happy and proud of silver for a change instead of standing there like a bunch of mopes.

I agree. Olympic gold will do that for you, I suppose. Also, they just seem like nice people with level heads. I want to see them in this tournament for years to come.

03-25-18 06:45PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

hot off the twittersphere:
Canada now has a combined 44 game win streak at the women's and men's worlds #wwcc2018

2016 men - @TeamKevinKoe won their last 4 en route to gold
2017 women - @TeamHoman 13-0
2017 men - @TeamGushue 13-0
2018 women - @TeamJJonesCurl 14-0
- so psssttt (whispering) - The pressure is on. Gushue has another monkey on his back.

Last edited by nelski on 03-25-18 at 06:47PM

03-25-18 06:57PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

Even if Anna makes her last , she leaves a pretty easy in off for Jones. If she plays the red raise, she lies 1and 2 at top of 4’. Jones may not have had a shot.

03-25-18 07:29PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

it was a great game played by two great teams. Agree with others, kudos to Sweden for not being poor losers!

03-25-18 08:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i hope this shuts the alarmists up a bit. yes canada missed the podium at the olympics in 4-person. however now they have swept the world juniors and women's titles. canada has not lost a game at worlds in over 2 years.

the canadian program is fine. let's stop the whining and alarm bell ringing about international teams being allowed over at the spiels and slams

03-25-18 08:16PM
Curling fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling fan Click here to Send Curling fan a Private Message Find more posts by Curling fan Add Curling fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling fan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Wow,what a finish!Couldn't be happier for Jen and team!And what a way to go out for Jill.World champion again!

03-25-18 09:29PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Here's one of two songs I dedicate to Team Jennifer Jones

by the great Canadian band - The Arkells

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...47B22&FORM=VIRE

03-25-18 09:37PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

. . . . .and the other song by The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter" or sometimes re-named "JUST A SHOT AWAY"

in memory of that great angle raise double in the 9th end that probably won today's game . . . .

Should be Jones theme song as she winds things down . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbmS3tQJ7Os

03-25-18 10:06PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Hitting Paint

Way to go Canada! So happy for Jen and her team and especially for Jill. What a way for the two of them to end their long partnership. Both teams made some great shots at critical times but Jen, as ever, has got to be one of the best pressure players ever. She loves the spotlight and the adrenalin rush of throwing those tough shots.

I think Kaitlyn's stint with John Morris did her a world of good in being more confident to speak up about various shots and what she wants to throw. She was a pistol all week.

03-26-18 12:08AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

I think Kaitlyn's stint with John Morris did her a world of good in being more confident to speak up about various shots and what she wants to throw. She was a pistol all week.

I think she has finally gotten the respect from Jones that she deserved and it only took a gold medal at the Olympics. Good for her. She was absolutely awesome this week. Every time she got in the hack to make her shot I was absolutely certain that it was going to work. What a comforting feeling. Congrats Team Canada on a great win.

03-26-18 12:21AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I think she has finally gotten the respect from Jones that she deserved and it only took a gold medal at the Olympics. Good for her. She was absolutely awesome this week. Every time she got in the hack to make her shot I was absolutely certain that it was going to work. What a comforting feeling. Congrats Team Canada on a great win.

I think Kaitlyn always had respect from Jennifer but Kaitlyn is so shy and quiet-spoken that she tended to defer to Jen all the time. When she teamed up with John, he's such an alpha male that the coaches had to really push her to make herself be heard so that the team could be successful and she gained a tremendous amount of confidence when it all worked out so well and then she brought that confidence with her to the Jones team. Win win for everyone as she now has two gold medals to flaunt.

I'm still so excited about the result. I hope the team and their families and friends have had a marvelous celebration in North Bay tonight.

03-26-18 01:36AM
Loony
Hitting Paint

Lovely tribute to Jill and her contributions to curling and the affection her teammates have for her.

https://youtu.be/sTu3EHxJWhY

03-26-18 06:44AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Loony
Lovely tribute to Jill and her contributions to curling and the affection her teammates have for her.

https://youtu.be/sTu3EHxJWhY

that is great - there is one and only one "Jilly"

03-26-18 08:20AM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

What a great final! Two great teams battling each other for the world championship. And as for Team Jones, they just keep adding trophies to their already full trophy cases. What an amazing team. It's going to be strange not seeing Jill on the ice next year, but what a way to take a break from the game. I hope she thoroughly enjoys her time away from the game.

03-26-18 10:02AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Cosss
It's going to be strange not seeing Jill on the ice next year, but what a way to take a break from the game. I hope she thoroughly enjoys her time away from the game.

Not far from the game. CBC Sports has picked her up as commentator for the Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships in Leduc - (fb).

03-26-18 10:52AM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Not far from the game. CBC Sports has picked her up as commentator for the Canadian Mixed Doubles Championships in Leduc - (fb).

Great to hear! I look forward to hearing her!

03-26-18 11:35AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Cosss

Great to hear! I look forward to hearing her!

By virtue of her past experience as a newscaster for CKX-TV in Brandon - Jill already has a leg up on people like Cheryl B, Joanie, Steph LeDrew, Linda M., etc.

As a commentator she'll be fantastic - her biggest challenge will be avoiding direct criticism of individual players. . . . . . unlike the others (excepting LeDrew) she's been on the ice with almost everyone and formed friendships & alliances - I'm sure she's well-versed in excuses (aka "Sorry Guys" or "Too Much/Too Little Ice" so she'll be fine!

03-26-18 06:46PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Last observation from me: I thought it was very nice how Team Jones included Shannon Birchard as much as they could. I first noticed it during time-outs when Shannon would come out instead of the coach, work the problem with the team and giving her views, and everyone listened. And then I noticed it again in the youtube video. Shannon is now off to another team - good luck to her! Nice and classy.

03-26-18 07:26PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Last observation from me: I thought it was very nice how Team Jones included Shannon Birchard as much as they could. I first noticed it during time-outs when Shannon would come out instead of the coach, work the problem with the team and giving her views, and everyone listened. And then I noticed it again in the youtube video. Shannon is now off to another team - good luck to her! Nice and classy.

Great observation - Mother Jones hatches another potential great career by launching Shannon the Human Cannon into media space.

Wonder if they asked Shannon first if she would play 2nd when Jill retired (btw - Jill did everyone a favour by announcing early - Joss Peterman would never have been available if Jill waited til season was over!)
Perhaps Birchard knows something we don't - perhaps Jones is only semi-committing to another 4 year cycle mainly by virtue of getting an auto-berth in next year's STOH? Who knows?

In any even Shannon may have had 3 choices:

1. Remaining with her young Wpg team and being top fawn in Manitoba

2. Going with Einarson & Sweeting & Meilleur - at 2nd - the backup plan obviously is that if Val falters out of the gate they can go to Shannon without much trouble.

3. Going with Jones - if that position was ever made available. And we'll never know that one folks. Jones keeps that kind of information very private.

03-26-18 09:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Stepping back

I'm not sure if I said this already but it's worth saying again. These players that are " stepping back" but NOT retiring are very concerning. Using Peterman as the example. Unless she signed a 4 year deal, what's to prevent Jill to "come back" after 2 years as they don't count towards Olympic qualifying and say I'm back and Peterman is out in the cold after uprooting and "moving" to Manitoba, all the while passing on other opportunities. I hope she has it in writing.

03-26-18 09:19PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Re: Stepping back

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I'm not sure if I said this already but it's worth saying again. These players that are " stepping back" but NOT retiring are very concerning. Using Peterman as the example. Unless she signed a 4 year deal, what's to prevent Jill to "come back" after 2 years as they don't count towards Olympic qualifying and say I'm back and Peterman is out in the cold after uprooting and "moving" to Manitoba, all the while passing on other opportunities. I hope she has it in writing.

yeah, concerning - I googled a few articles and found this one that says 2018 - 2019 season.

http://rdnewsnow.com/article/574388...es-rink-2018-19