Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling Canada Junior Age Change

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-19 10:03PM
Vince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vince Find more posts by Vince Add Vince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vince
Knee-Slider

Curling Canada Junior Age Change

How come there is no talk about the impending Canadian Junior Age change. The powers that be say this will help develope curlers. How is this possible when there is one less year of junior unless you win Canadians? Have we not already developed some strong curlers with the age that is in use now? Examples, Kelsey Rocque, Brendon Bottcher, Kaitlyn Lawes, Rachel Homan..... whew I’m tired but I can go on. I feel at the world Junior stage we have done quite well lately. I have not yet seen any explanation that makes sense,except they want to make a change. Has there been any consultation with the grassroots coaches? Please enlighten me Curling Canada, this is obviously above my pay grade.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-19 10:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

What did they change? I haven't heard, Used to be 21 after June 30th. Is that not still the case? Again me and my 3 questions.

Why the change?
Who changed it?
Where is it in writing the change has been made?

01-31-19 12:14AM
Vince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vince Find more posts by Vince Add Vince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vince
Knee-Slider

Age change

They are changing nationals until March. They then won’t go to worlds until the next year to prepare. The age will now be 20 as of June 30, 2021 to play in Canadian Juniors 2021. This eliminates the last year of junior from that date on. They just made a great amendment to “allow” an overage for the first three years. However the overage can’t go to worlds. Who are these teams going to play against to prepare for worlds if they win their last year of junior? They will be too old to curl in Junior events. Sure they can play WCT events, that will give them lots of confidence. The best way to develope curlers is leave it the same. Junior curling is strong however if you lower the age that makes less curlers, less curlers make less teams. Let’s help these young curlers develope. There has to be a better way. Actually any way would be better than this huge mistake.

01-31-19 09:11AM
Vince
Knee-Slider

Age Change

This is on the Curling Canada web page, it's hard to find. you have to search Junior Age Change Eligibility Guidelines. The rule was originally planned to be changed in October but was never released publicly. they wanted this to be done privately so it was finished before anyone knew about it from my understanding.that makes it easier. There has been a petition going around and there have been a lot of people signing it so I guess telling people that they are giving three years to transition will make people forget that there is still one less year of junior eligibility. Maybe there is a reason for this,I, and hundreds of competitive Junior curlers across Canada would love to now what it is.

01-31-19 09:32AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
What did they change? I haven't heard, Used to be 21 after June 30th. Is that not still the case? Again me and my 3 questions.

Why the change?
Who changed it?
Where is it in writing the change has been made?

Here is the Curling Canada post that provides the highlights of the change to the junior age eligibility:

https://www.curling.ca/blog/2018/10...ing-canada-agm/

This age change presents a bit of conundrum. One of the arguments that is suggested for the change is so that it extends the junior curling season of a current year into March. As it exists now, the junior curling season ends for many teams in early to mid December if they don't make their provincial championship and then for only one team of each gender in each province, the season extends beyond early January at Nationals, and then for all but two teams in Canada, the effective end of the junior season happens at somewhere around January 23-27.

The problem with the new age guideline is that junior teams may get to extend their seasons' by a couple of months, but that is at the price of cutting their junior curling career short by an entire year. That doesn't seem like a good trade off.

Additionally, as already has been posted, for those teams that win a Canadian Championship in March who won't be junior age eligible the following curling season, who do they compete against? Ah yes, they can try their games in more expensive men's and ladies curling events, perhaps with some success; perhaps not.

Also, what happens with that team that held on for the end of the season and happened to win Canadians, but maybe aren't getting along that well anymore? In the current situation, you could probably stick that out for another 6-8 weeks until world's are done without it affecting performance, but in the new scenario, to face an upcoming 11 months on a team that may not be getting along could be a challenge.

The three year window that allows for an overage player is intriguing - it adds an extra level of complexity to it all. A team can win a Canadian Championship with a player they absolutely know they can't play with at the World's. Who will the replacement be? Is it someone of the team's choice? Is it someone mandated by Curling Canada?

As it exists now, Canada doesn't win every World Junior Curling Championship, but they still win their fair share and are certainly competitive in the event year in and year out. I don't know if this age change will hurt or help Canada's chances on the world stage. What I do know is that I'm not a fan of the change....

01-31-19 10:53AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Another problem may be the kids moving across the country for university. Hard to keep a team together when they're 1000's of miles apart. Most students don't have the travel budget to fly home or to spiels 10 times a season.

01-31-19 11:01AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Another problem may be the kids moving across the country for university. Hard to keep a team together when they're 1000's of miles apart. Most students don't have the travel budget to fly home or to spiels 10 times a season.

That's a great point. Alternatively, some people may not want to put their life on hold for a year for the sake of fulfilling that junior curling dream.

I think Curling Canada may be putting some of these teams into awkward situations.

01-31-19 11:20AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Why does Curling Canada insist on changing things that are working well.

Yes, going to different schools, having to stick together if you don't like each other and not eligible even if you do win!

How about putting on some other events for Juniors like a Junior slam tour with more events in February March? Sometimes the best thing for a junior team is to split up in January!

01-31-19 09:20PM
Vince
Knee-Slider

Junior Curling Age Change

Here the link to the petition. Let’s try to save junior curling in Canada. Maybe if enough people speak out the CCA will have to listen. https://www.change.org/p/curlng-can...rling-in-canada

02-05-19 09:51AM
slider1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slider1 Click here to Send slider1 a Private Message Find more posts by slider1 Add slider1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slider1
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks for the link Vince. The link was not quite direct but once you search using Curling Canada then it takes you right to the petition. Sign it, share it, lets get the junior age to stay as is.