W: Alberta Scotties - Northerns
W: Ontario Scotties - Challenge Round
W: Manitoba Scotties - Winnipeg Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - Westman Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - Central Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - Parkland Regional
W: BC Scotties Open Event #2
Pacific Time (PT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Playdowns --

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-07-17 09:25AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

Is it me or have then been more big big misses in this event? Big big in the sense that game deciding shots are missing by miles.

I've seen Jacobs and Flaxey go deep on simple last rock draws, Jones and McEwen come up way short, Gushue pick to give a 3 banger. If I'm a skip I'd have to think about hitting instead of drawing at the end.

(I almost included Scheidegger's draw, but she was only 3 feet heavy so it may well have been her and not the ice or the newly doctored rocks).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-07-17 09:44AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

yep
thats why there are multiple winners every week

free guard zone has changed ( spoiled in my opinion ) the game
-- lots of 2 and 3 enders in the 10th - no other sport like this

tv delays killed momentum

arena ice for 40 years is giant equalizer

on great ice we get 95% from top 6 teams

tv wants different winners from different countries

prob no one has spent as much on curling seats in the arenas as i have the last 20 years - $25,000 plus - would never buy a $300 ticket again

and we never hear tv numbers anymore so im guessing they are way down ????

12-07-17 09:56AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by TNH
Is it me or have then been more big big misses in this event? Big big in the sense that game deciding shots are missing by miles.

I've seen Jacobs and Flaxey go deep on simple last rock draws, Jones and McEwen come up way short, Gushue pick to give a 3 banger. If I'm a skip I'd have to think about hitting instead of drawing at the end.

(I almost included Scheidegger's draw, but she was only 3 feet heavy so it may well have been her and not the ice or the newly doctored rocks).

Scheidegger's blip vs. Homan was straight out of Jennifer Jones University of Rock Positioning. She actually put her final rock in a place where laser-like Rachel had an easier shot than she had before - and that's what Jones often does. You can get away with it if your opponent muffs their final stone - but its a foregone conclusion Rachel Homan won't.

12-07-17 10:04AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

The had Caseys Rock stopped where wanted it to, she wins. It went too far allowing the double, a fairly routine shot being made to look difficult because of guards.

12-07-17 10:13AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Why Rachel Homan Should Rep CANADA

Most of the participating women's teams are curling - they're trying to get the measure of all 14 feet across - both ways and trying to get mathematical read-outs of line & weight.

Homan certainly participates in this folly but she adds a dimension very few have - she's far and away the best sniper in the game - often removing the dilemma of rock movement and line by virtue of her laser-like bombs.

She's not always in games early - and teams like Jones with tons of experience know how to torment Rachel to the max with clutter and rock debris. Even in regular ice curling Rachel has the horses to stand up to any team in the game - without her super-power (the Raytch-Laser)

Emma always puts her rocks out there in a position to succeed. I've noticed even the 2nd best 3rd in the land, Kaitlyn Lawes tends to tighten up in tense matches and not give her stones an opportunity to succeed. Same obviously with Jones.

I think Carey might have the best chance to topple Homan in the Oly final - but to be frank - she's a solid, honest curler who gets herself into thinking problems on occasion - but she'll run into the same problem as Jones does vs. Homan. Where do I place my rocks when these monsters can get to them no matter what. That's a lot of over-think to contend with!

48 yr old Cathy O., lots of spunk & guile is no match for 29 yr old phenom Emma Miskew.

Surprisingly Chelsea C might have a slight advantage at front end - where Joss Peterman may now be the top 2nd in Canada - surpassing Jilly Officer and even JoJo Bandana (Courtney). Laine Peters is a superior brusher to Lee Weagle and finally getting the recognition she deserves.

But the biggest differential is how steely Homan is under duress vs. how Carey seems to unravel in pressure-cooker environments. Homan also has that nuclear option.
As I stated prior, Emma vs. Cathy O is a slight mismatch.

12-07-17 10:21AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

g4th end
runs in ice

jacobs misses 2 and reid gets 4

totally crappy ice

thought there was an easy quad takeout for jacobs

12-07-17 10:43AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

1 Team Cheering for Homan

Mickey Englot . . . .
If Rachel takes the duke and reps Canada in Korea - Englot becomes Team Canada at the Scott Tournament of Hearts.

Won't have to go thru the gruelling Manitoba round-robin and double-elimination playoffs

And without Homan roamin' the land she'll have a nail-biters chance (at 54) of Scotties glory.

Obviously there's 3 (or more) alberta teams that will present a huge challenge (Valberta, Scheidegger, Rocque) and whoever comes out of Ontario (Middaugh, Tippen, Flaxey, Webster, etc.) plus the indomitable Krista McCarville - who will no doubt emerge again from Northern Ontario.

Chance of a couple Alberta, couple Ontario teams, too with the new STOH format.

There's always Jennifer Jones, too - but she'll have to slither her way out of Manitoba and she'll have a posse of hungry noose-holders waiting for her (ie. Einarson, SPencer, Birchard, etc.) who are no longer intimidated by a frayed JJ.

But should Rachel Homan win out - she qualifies for the Olympics and Michelle Englot auto-berths for the Scotties!

12-07-17 12:03PM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I agree Ajay. I admire Casey's shot choice. Some skips in the field would've guarded the hole so Rachel couldn't throw the same shot again. But that would've been playing for Rachel to miss a slash to win or draw to extend the game. Casey played to sit two and block the draw. The girl's got moxie - too bad the execution was just a touch off. (I'm thinking it was a team miss as the brushers could've left it higher or dragged it to the back 8. Anywhere would've been better than allowing the crotch double). Looking forward to seeing her team play in the Scotties.

12-07-17 04:25PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Englot had one good event in the last 10 years and for that she got to the trials ( laid an egg here ) and maybe gets back to the Scotties. No way she should be wearing team Canada on her back,

12-07-17 04:32PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Englot had one good event in the last 10 years and for that she got to the trials ( laid an egg here ) and maybe gets back to the Scotties. No way she should be wearing team Canada on her back,

Based solely on her performance here she doesn't deserve anything. Basically a shaky 67% fawn, if anything!

But if Homan wins she gets in based on the rules. These weren't her rules - they're CCA rules.

I'm sure she'll do better in a field where there's tons of fawns and only a smattering of super-sharp squads!

12-07-17 04:47PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

That last Jones call was so far beyond stupid it is impossible to fathom. I'm a jones supporter too. She could have hit her rock at exactly the same angle she was trying with a high risk raise.

12-07-17 04:56PM
albetts is online now Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
That last Jones call was so far beyond stupid it is impossible to fathom. I'm a jones supporter too. She could have hit her rock at exactly the same angle she was trying with a high risk raise.

I totally agree. You just knew that she'd hid the yellow rock at an angle and roll away. Happy for McCarville though. She is playing really well.

12-07-17 05:02PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Does team Tippin not have a coach? Who leaves 8 opposition rocks in the house when you have last rock. Fire the coach Julie,

12-07-17 05:04PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

How did Tippin get herself into that mess in 10? Ridiculous.

12-07-17 05:05PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

Welcome to my world Ajay. Jones seemed more scattered than usual. Some of the arguments she had with Kaitlyn were astoundingly goofy.
The last rock decision to deploy a 10% chance of scoring a deuce shot but 75%+ of giving up 1 or deuce was as u say _^^*****......

Jones should be put out of her misery by Homan in the final round - Jones just doesn't stack up against Rachel, heck she barely stacks up vs. the deliberate McCarville or the yo-yo Carey.

Right now - if you wanted to handicap a final you'd have Homan and her dragonettes vs. the super cautious but totally nullifying McCarville.

Jones & Carey do not seem fit to rep Canada based on some of their percentages - more on their decisions!

Outside shot Val Sweeting can slither thru now - but she has to get by Homan. Entirely possible cuz Rachel no longer has to fear losing the game and missing the playoffs.

12-07-17 05:21PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

You're so two-faced legend. Here's hoping Carey keeps on rolling, defeats Homan (who always looks confounded when rocks get into play) and then powers Canada to gold. Maybe then you'd finally show some respect to COC and this team of talented ladies.

12-07-17 05:29PM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Didn't see game, but obviously Jones wasn't the only one with a bad call, because Tippen must have made a bunch of stupid calls to allow that last end , being two up with hammer.

12-07-17 06:26PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

There's a clear road paved for the following set-up in womens:

1. Carey
2. Homan
3. McCarville

Saves JJ the embarrassment of having to go out in a tie-breaker. She's obviously well out of sorts and I don't think its possible for her to topple either McCarville or Sweeting in TB action.

But you never know with Jones. She's come off the mat before and gone monster-crazy - but I fear this is the end of the road. And what a great road its been.

McCarville has turned herself into a superstar. She is clearly the best defensive skip in the game - she stifled Jones the few times Jones had a 2 or 3 ender set up. Krista's rock placement is superb. Even Ashley Sippala toppled the mighty Jill Officer in their second's battle.

All 3 so-called BIG 3 are really superb curling teams. Rachel & Krista have had the same unit for big chunks of time while Carey has somehow come out of the woodwork to take over Heather Nedohin's fine Alberta team.

I know I'm leaving Val Sweeting out of my equations but she may have left too little too late!

12-07-17 07:31PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

seems like today i casually mentioned i would not buy tickets to watch curling in an arena anymore

tempest fugit
liar liar pants on fire

the queen mentioned the elite 10 was on at st james civic centre mar 15 2018 .

la di da - bot 2 event passes for 2 x $100 =$200

seems cheap - 5 minutes away

warmup for the queen as she and a friend are going to the worlds in vegas apr 1 10

i will be the one not waving

12-07-17 07:56PM
Ajay
Swing Artist

Another unwise skip call, sweeting could have eliminated 2 , maybe 3 stones, not having last rock.

12-07-17 08:56PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

You would think Val Sweeting would come out full guns ablazing in an effort to pull off the proverbial palace coup. Imagine the cognitive dissonance if Val upset Rachel?

If the score holds - Jones is probably done should she lose to Homan in tomorrow's final draw.

I'm really seeing a Homan vs. McCarville final.

My odds:

Homan - 68%
McCarv - 32%

RH should rightfully be over 80% but Krista's exquisite defensive super-powers make it a near-square match!

12-07-17 10:06PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

Bad sweeping in 9th by Sweetings front end not to get a biter, Gave RH an easy blank. All 4 yelling different things- panic.

12-07-17 10:17PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

does Gushue get the number 2 seed because he has beaten the 3 loss teams

12-07-17 10:36PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by darkwing01
does Gushue get the number 2 seed because he has beaten the 3 loss teams

that is what it shows on the standings.

http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!/competitions/2440/standings

http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!/competitions/2441/standings

those links don't take you to the proper page. Using the links, click on the mens or womens roar of the Rings, just above the scores is standings.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 12-07-17 at 10:39PM

12-07-17 11:03PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

If Rachel Homan can pull things off and win Olympic gold - I'll have to rate her ahead of both Schmirler & both Jones (Coco & JJ) in terms of Canada's greatest curling team.

Jones has 5 Canadian STOHs, 1 worlds, 1 Olympic gold and 7 or 8 Manitoba titles.

Coco has 6 STOH, 2 worlds, zero Olympics.

Schmirler has 3 STOH, 3 Worlds, 1 Olympics

Homan could have 3 worlds, 3 STOHs & 1 Olympics should she move on.to Korea.

Have to put Coco Jones at #4. JJ @ #3, Sandra @ #2 and Homan #1 (but only if Rachel retrieves gold)

If she doesn't go golden, then Sandra is still ahead.

Jones probably has one more shot at repping Manitoba, if she can get by the young wolves (and Spencer) she'll get a shot at a 6th STOH title in Penticton.

But they'll have to lay down near impeccable ice as we've now learned JJ is extremely weak at reading inferior ice. She seems almost lost this week. All the 20 straight wins coming in came apart in 24 hours. But should she win a 6th STOH and a 2nd world title I'd have to move her ahead of Schmirler & Homan on the all-time list. Only problem is she's probably just got one more shot (this year) before calling it a day.