Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Click Event to Show Scoreboard
W: Canad Inns Women's Classic
M: Challenge de Curling de Gatineau (Arena)
M: Curling Masters Champery
W: Paf Masters Tour
M: China Open
W: China Open
M: Medicine Hat Charity Classic
W: Medicine Hat Charity Classic
M: Challenge de Curling de Gatineau Open
M: WCT Austrian Mixed Doubles Cup
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
M: EJCT Oslo Junior Men
M: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Mens Classic
M: Heather MJCT Bonspiel
M: Brampton U21 Junior Mens Cashspiel
M: OVCA Junior Superspiel Mens Qualifier
W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Womens Classic
W: Heather MJCT Bonspiel
W: Brampton U21 Junior Womens Cashspiel
W: OVCA Junior Superspiel Womens Qualifier
W: Lady Monctonian Invitational Spiel
W: EJCT Oslo Junior Women
Central European Time (CET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Next Olympic Cycle Team Changes

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 12 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-27-18 11:12PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Another way for Jones to retain the entry - assuming Kerri Einarson doesn't move thru via winning Manitoba or the play-in - - - - is putting Shannon Birchard back onto the roster - then returning her to alternate status at the event - Jill could serve as coach instead of Wendy!

However, I don't know when the absolute last minute a team has for declaration - anyone know?

Birchard has a very good shot at winning Manitoba - no Jones to compete against - some decent up 'n comers but Einarson/Sweeting/Birchard/Meilleur is a very formidable unit - - - - - right now I'd have them rated #3 or #4 in Canada without even playing a match.

#1 = Jones
#2 = Homan
#3 = The Scissor Sisters from Alberta
#4 = Einarson/Sweeting
#5 = >>>>????? due to player shuffling; perhaps Crocker or Carey's new team - some good Alberta teams also in contention; Tracy Fleury, Krista McCarville, too!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-27-18 11:31PM
JV_21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JV_21 Click here to Send JV_21 a Private Message Find more posts by JV_21 Add JV_21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JV_21
Harvey Hacksmasher

I can't really see Team Jones being denied Team Canada status at next year's Scotties because this type of situation really isn't in the spirit of the rules. They could just modify the rule to allow an exception in this instance if need be, or Jones could play games with their announced lineup as ML said.

That said, if Team Jones couldn't be Team Canada because of this it should then go to the new Team Fleury. She picked up 3/4 of Einarson's rink, which would fulfill the 3 out of 4 rule, similar to when John Morris picked up 3/4 of Koe's old team to begin this cycle.

03-28-18 01:07AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I like JV's point about Tracy Fleury getting the STOH auto-berth if the CCA decides to nail Jones to the cross.

However, I can't imagine why they'd do that. Jones is box office gold - next year might just be her last season - she has a chance to get a record-setting 7th Scotties title and she's fielding a darn good team.

If they turn Jones down then JJ has to play thru the Manitoba Scotties - where she'll be in tough with young fiends like Kerri Einarson and T Fleury. With Fleury and Einarson plus Jones Manitoba now becomes the #1 centre for depth in Canadian women's curling.

Northern Ontario was previously a 2 man show - now its just McCarville.
Ontario is Homan and a bunch of young re-setting mopes.
Saskatchewan is still lacking curling leadership.
Alberta has depth but with Val defecting to Manitoba that's their strongest skip off the market. The Scissor sisters are now #1 - Crystal Webster will probably return with a fresh team, Shannon Kleibrink is retired, who knows how powerful Crocker's muppets will be?

So even if Jones, Einarson or Fleury can't punch their ticket into the 2019 Scotties - they'll probably pull in enough points to play-in on the eve of the event. . . . . . and it could very well be another all-Manitoba play-in - just like this year!

Rachel should be safe in Ontario.
McCarville now has an auto-berth in N. Ont.
The Sisters have at least a 50% chance of repeating in Alberta.
Minor improvements in Nfld/Labrador but the Maritimes is in a bit of a mess (Maryanne excepting), Quebec isn't strong, the north is fairly feeble and BC isn't quite ready to go into major battle.

03-28-18 09:52AM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

if jill don't play to meet the 3 of 4 rule they shouldn't get the spot, give it to the next team that meets the rule. Team Jones did this for personal reasons,

03-28-18 10:38AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

I would think that seeing as it was Curling Canada that would not allow Kaitlyn to play, they will make the exception. She was ready, willing and able and the dates did not conflict with the Scotties,

Scotties finished the 4th and Olympics started the 8th so she "could" have done both. Probably a good decision to not play the Scotties and stay fresh for the Olympics though.

03-28-18 10:51AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Wasn't Kaitlyn listed as Jones alternate . . . ?

During the STOH?

Even though she was dispatched to Korea to compete in mixed doubles?

That listing - and Jones going without an actual player on their bench may be the out that Jones has to retain Team Canada status.

Curl Canada would be seen as fiends if they take the thing away from Jones!

03-28-18 11:51AM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

Katlyn wanted to play mixed doubles, Jill wants to step back, they should get no special treatment, Homan and her team was not allowed to played mixed doubles, Everyone knew the rules going in,

03-28-18 01:16PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Whoa! Gunner has hit the jackpot! Denni Neufeld at 2nd.

http://www.thegrandslamofcurling.co...nd-next-season/

The article makes it seems like Ian McMillan has been left high and dry. I wonder if Jason will be vilified for this. And I wonder where Matt will land.

Last edited by nelski on 03-28-18 at 01:42PM

03-28-18 06:49PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well here is the answer to the above noted Team Jones situation.

https://www.tsn.ca/rule-exemption-t...anada-1.1040843

03-28-18 07:08PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

How refreshing for the association execs to just take a simple, common sense approach and solution. Kudos.

03-28-18 07:22PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Resby Coutts prolly got Jones the exemption by promising to NEVER, EVER wear that ridiculous cherry-red, santa suit he donned for the world closing ceremonies!

Otherwise, common sense. They should also grant Homan a similar exemption for missing the STOH by virtue of her win at the Roar of the Rings,

03-28-18 08:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

rachel doesn't need to worry about getting to the scotties. with flaxey moving out of ontario and middaugh retiring her 2 main threats are out of the way. only harrison remains to be a challenge for her in ontario

03-28-18 08:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

As predicted

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
Well here is the answer to the above noted Team Jones situation.

https://www.tsn.ca/rule-exemption-t...anada-1.1040843

Common sense prevails.

03-28-18 08:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
rachel doesn't need to worry about getting to the scotties. with flaxey moving out of ontario and middaugh retiring her 2 main threats are out of the way. only harrison remains to be a challenge for her in ontario

Is she playing out of Ontario or Alberta !!!!!

03-28-18 08:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Is she playing out of Ontario or Alberta !!!!!

has there been an announcement made that she was switching provinces? if she has switched to playing for alberta she'd have to form a whole new team there and i haven't seen any news of that

Last edited by misty1 on 03-28-18 at 08:50PM

03-28-18 09:35PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Chances are Rachel has her squad play out of Ontario - auto-berth into the Ontario playdowns being only a minor reason.

Emma & Lisa work in the Ottawa/southern Ontario region - I suspect Courtney can play it either way - she's an Albertan by birth and moved to Ottawa to further her curling career - don't know if she takes winters off to curl professionally and then resume nursing once the schedule softens up - approx. March 15th.....

03-28-18 11:09PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

i think Courtney was the out of province player, working for the Alberta Health Services and with Rachel living in Alberta that could be a problem.

03-28-18 11:18PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
i think Courtney was the out of province player, working for the Alberta Health Services and with Rachel living in Alberta that could be a problem.

I suspect if Curl Canada can come up with amended rules allowing Jen Jones to auto-berth the 2019 Scotties - they won't have a problem grand-fathering (err grand-mothering) Homan's team to continue on regardless of residence - even if its 2/2 Ontario/Alberta.

Put a bit of pressure on Red Porky (Resby Coutts) and Gerry Peckham will re-write the rule.

Right now - its fairly clear The Jones and Homan squads are head 'n shoulders above any other women's units in Canada.

Carey will be trying a re-branding so I can't put her into the conversation until I see the new Team Carey - but right now the Canadian contingent (top teams) goes like this:

1. Team Jones
2. Team Jones
3. Team Einarson w/ Sweeting
4. Scissor Sisters from Alberta
5. Krista McCarville
6. Tracy Fleury
7. Rocque's new squad
8. Jackie Harrison
9. Nadine Scotland
10. Chelsea Carey's yet to be named outfit

03-29-18 12:50AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I think it would be up to Ontario to decide homan's eligibility to enter their playdowns. I think up till now home and has been considered a university student in Alberta so her normal residence is still Ontario. Not sure how long that can continue?

03-29-18 08:25AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Could go on a long time. Taking 1/2 course per year should not be the definition of a university student.

03-29-18 06:19PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I hadn't seen this one yet. Muyers and Marsh (SK) two sets of brothers are teaming up.
http://www.humboldtjournal.ca/sport...ason-1.23244584

03-30-18 09:26AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I hadn't seen this one yet. Muyers and Marsh (SK) two sets of brothers are teaming up.
http://www.humboldtjournal.ca/sport...ason-1.23244584

yeah, i'd posted on that a little earlier. i think it's on the previous page

here's another new team:

skip: tyler tardi
third: sterling middleton
second: alex horvath
lead: matthew hall

announced on team tardi's facebook page.interesting add in hall, who's skipped ontario the last 2 years at juniors.

i also thought hall and horvath both aged out of juniors this year so im assuming tyler and sterling are going to not play juniors next year

03-30-18 07:43PM
memelord is offline Click Here to See the Profile for memelord Find more posts by memelord Add memelord to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
memelord
Knee-Slider

I believe Matt and Alex have one more year left of juniors and Matt will be playing second and Alex will be playing lead

04-03-18 11:21AM
Rock2_YYZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock2_YYZ Find more posts by Rock2_YYZ Add Rock2_YYZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock2_YYZ
Knee-Slider

So it looks like Calvert is continuing with Kurz at third and picked up McMillan at second and Robbie Gordon at lead.

Dunnstone has teased in twitter that after a hiatus he's going to soon announce some kind of reunion.

Does that mean Doering, Lott and since Gordon has moved on, maybe Wozniak? I know Lott has said at one point he was stepping back. If that happens, then Doering at 3rd, Woz at 2nd and they scare up a lead?

Who else is still out there I might be missing in MB?

04-03-18 02:41PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tanner Horgan (NO) has announced the addition of Mark Kean at Vice. Jacob will be moving down to 2nd and Max will be the lead. Source: Facebook

Also Corryn Brown has announced a new team in BC. Ashley Klymchuk has joined the team. Source Facebook